Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
Agreed- fair point. Sorry to clarify (newbie error) - I mean stay consistently cold enough so that the snow stays as opposed to the yo-yo temps after 27 Dec. I wouldn't wish windchill of minus 15 on anybody!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Fingers crossed it stays and the temp stays cold for everybody for the rest of season.

Most improbable....and I certainly have no wish to be skiing in spring with minus 15 windchill, thanks very much.

Exactly, can I place an early order for perfect snow and some nice sunny skiing weather for 8th March please??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll have the same order please!

Forgive me if this is a thread drift (it is weather related so I hope it isn't) but does any of you seasoned skiers know what weather it takes for the cascades run to be open or what keeps it closed? Never seen it open in the five times I've been to the GM. Probably just bad luck. I've gathered that the general consensus is that is overrated but I'd like to do it once at least and keep my eye out for the right day. Cheers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was open the whole time I was there 2 years ago but we had epic snow. Not done it myself as didn't fancy the poling and the track towards the end and the bus back to Morillon thought it would take too much of my skiing time but the views and the restaurant on the way look good. I am willing the Marvel to open next week as someone said 'fun for all levels and so pretty' especially at the end of the day. Also the runs down to Les Carroz. Fingers crossed we have more snow. Happy skiing to all those who are out there now. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think Marvel has been opened today Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. Hope it stays that way, going out on the 24th.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Kay. I agree - half a days skiing is lot to lose for one run. I stayed in morillon 1100 last time and Marvel was such a pleasure to come down on everyday (and a bit of off piste through the trees livened it up a bit). I came down the blue instead one day (sauron I think) but it just wasn't as pretty. Marvel is open today so fingers crossed it stays open for you and me both. I'm in Flaine thsi time so will post some updates (wi-fi permitting) which I hope will help all those coming in the half term weeks after 7 Feb.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading out on 7th Feb myself, how busy does it get during half-term?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@xchancellor, Let's put it this way, rather you than me!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was out there at half term in 2013 - Busy when ski schools start at Morillon 1000 which is where we stay. If you get out before they start no problem. Perce Neige gets cut up during the day and there were often queues for Lanche chair and Tourmaline a busy but other than that no problems. My husband used to go over to Flaine in the morning and ski with me in the Massif in the afternoon. I loved it there which is why we are going back this year but as I have retired from teaching can now go outside school holidays. I did hear people saying that they couldn't get into ski school as there wasn't any room and they hadn't booked. However I have always skied in half term so can't compare it to other times.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 17-01-15 16:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As I understand it the French sensibly split their half term into groups with the busiest, Paris being C (correct me if I'm wrong) which is the last week in Feb. When I (mistakenly) went the third or or fourth week in Feb (the paris week and also english for some parts) it was heaving for the main lift queues (molliets, grand vans and sauron in morillon) and main "motorway" pistes at the weekend but admittedly it quietened down noticeably in the week and we had great time. Sunny weather all week if I recall (there was no -15 windchill anyway - haha).

Someone with more experience could give you a more accurate idea of what to expect but that was my experience.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies all. As long as there's plenty of snow I'll not get too upset at the crowds...can't be expecting empty pistes all the time Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just stopped snowing in Samoens. Snow conditions up at the top of the GME were excellent, the light was a bit flat but visibility was good. We only skied down the first pitch to the first chair for a couple of hours or so as Mrs Basil had a hip replacement last April so first time out since and we were taking it easy to see how things went. As it turned out things went very well and with each run her confidence increased. Eventually her thigh muscles became tired so we called it a day but we were very pleased and are looking forward to a clear day tomorrow and go a bit higher. The forecast for the rest of the week suggest cold and clear so good skiing to look forward to we hope. Not that busy today but with a bright day expected tomorrow it might be.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been skiing at both new year and half term a couple of times in GM. New year has been busier as the french don't stagger their Xmas break, like they do the winter break, obviously. However I fear this half term might be busier as I think a lot of french people deferred their ski break cos of the lack of snow, they don't get locked into flights and ferries like us poor suckers, certainly samoens didn't look as busy as usual over New Year. And it's Paris winter school break for the 2 weeks commencing 14 Feb, so they will be there in force. We don't need ski school any more so as long as you beat the queues by getting up first thing it's not too bad. And there are plenty of empty runs over in Flaine off the button lifts which never get busy, or so we have found. If there's enough snow to open them, that is...please keep the reports coming as we won't bother going if there's no snow, it's a long drive.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 13-02-15 21:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Sounds like the conditions have improved massively (or should that be massif-ly?) Driving down tomorrow from London/Calais so hope to be there early evening. Does anyone know what the road conditions are like up to Flaine? Have 4x4 (with normal road tyres) and chains but would like not to have to put the chains on.

PLEASE, leave some of the powder for Monday!
ski holidays
Chris Mason wrote:
Sounds like the conditions have improved massively (or should that be massif-ly?) Driving down tomorrow from London/Calais so hope to be there early evening. Does anyone know what the road conditions are like up to Flaine? Have 4x4 (with normal road tyres) and chains but would like not to have to put the chains on.

as things stand, you will need the chains. There was a massive dump of power today, and when we left at 5pm it was still tipping it down.

Tomorrow should be amazing, sun and cloud but mostly clear forecast, with all that fresh powder, cannot wait!!!!
latest report
Chris Mason wrote:

Most of the cars going through Carroz tonight were chaining up before heading for Flaine.
snow conditions
Chris Mason wrote:

If you're using the Channel Tunnel, do check it out, there was a lorry fire today causing big disruption.
ski holidays
@Bruce99, Cascades is only open if there is snow in Sixt. We did it once a couple of years ago and it is very scenic however the last 5 km was sheer ice with a covering of artificial snow which was like sugar on a plate it just moved under skis. There were very few people on it so very quiet on upper part but because of hairpin bends and ice on bottom piece lots of pileups on narrow sections difficult to pass nervous skiers. So..... Worth the time as long as there is decent snow in Sixt. Nice little bar/cafe at the bottom to have a drink while waiting for the bus.
ski holidays
@Bruce99, I must have been lucky as it was open and in good nick the only time I visited in March 2003. The top is a bit flat as you try and get off the Platieres ridge and at the bottom it does turn into a road which thankfully wasn't icy when I did it, nice to get away from the lift system and do it once.

Halfway down, I believe you can call the Restaurant at Lac de Gers to come and tow you there with their skidoo, that would be a nice lunch stop-off in a stunning setting on a nice day. You could have a play on the tiny Sixt ski area before getting the bus back to the lift system at Samoens or Morillon.

http://www.gitedegers.fr/Gite_du_Lac_de_Gers/Gite_du_lac_de_Gers.html
latest report
Both very helpful. Thanks.
ski holidays
Cascades: very pretty on a sunny day, but would not do it again. too much flat polling.
latest report
Looking at at the webcams this morning it looks like it is going to be a bluebird day for all those out there today , wish I was there.
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, Agreed - in 10 years I have done it 3 times (each subsequent one was to take other people) - it is nice occasionally and very picturesque - a better way to leave the Gers bowl (if open) than that horrible drag lift Happy Also... Sixt is worth a couple of hours, especially at Feb half term as it is so much quieter than everywhere else. A couple of lovely Red runs, though the chairlifts are ancient. To answer the earlier question ref jalf term... experience tells you where to avoid at which times. Examples being - Morillon 1100 - use the slower lifts on the RHS and avoid La Lanche lift after 3pm - to return to the Tete de Sais (top of Samoens), the Corbalanche lift is often a better option. Another tip... between 9 and 11... everyone heads for Flaine and the run into Flaine is carnage. Either be at the front of that bunch... or go just before lunch. Enjoy flaine whilst everyone else is at lunch, then head back before 3 Happy.
ski holidays
Samoens excellent as expected today and not as busy as expected so no queues even on the Chariande Express and the snow was firm and "creaky". Again progressing with Mrs Basil's rehab for her hip and did a few hours on lower Marmottes which was in stunning nick. After Mrs got tired I did a few runs down from the Tete Des Saix which was very windy at the summit so expect Flaine was windy too. Off the top though it was sheltered down to the Samoens plateau which was bathed in warm sunshine. Temps remained low all day and the snow is still on the trees even in the village. Suppose we'll have to do it again tomorrow, may even try and get across to Morillon as we quite fancy lunch at L'Igloo.
snow report
Sounds like a good day. Oooh I love eating at L'Igloo !! Just hope more snow arrives for a top up. snowHead
snow conditions
I would imagine cascades will be busy at half term, I did it on a quiet day and felt a bit cheated and that I had lost half a dys skiing. I will not do it again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrs B had a rest today so I thought I would tour the estate. Samoens to Les Carroz across a very quiet Perce Neige. LC mostly very good, even Les Molliets fine. Down Combe to Gron chair excellent but run down to Telekabine hard packed and very smooth in places but snow cannons doing a great job and you can ski right down to the queue. Across to Morillon the top half down to Bergin chair good but getting smoother with more hard pack the lower down I went, did not go all the way to 1100 as expected the pistes to degrade at the same rate and I could hear L'Igloo calling so I stopped for coffee. Making my way back to Samoens conditions as they were yesterday. Not my thing but lots of off piste available as observed from the lifts but nobody on it as the pistes were very quiet today, in fact I have never seen it as quiet, brilliant. Somewhat overcast all day and it was trying to snow at times as it is now but not enough to change conditions. Still cold as indicated by the snow still on the trees, even in the village.
snow conditions
@Basil, thanks for the update. I see that various trickles are forecast during the week.

Talking about Lac de Gers is making me hungry. It is a cracking spot, particularly rewarding after a well deserved meal/drink after the Gers bowl. My other favourite Grand Massif eating spots are L'Igloo, Les Moilliets and Epiciere (Flaine). Does anybody have any other recommendations?. Also, has anybody been to Le Chalet des Tronchets (off-piste above Les Carroz, Morillon side), and if so, able to describe how easy or difficult it is to access on skis (and whether it is any good?)
ski holidays

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-02-15 21:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@carroz, thank you very much.
latest report
Has been snowing lightly all night, would guess about 10cm at resort (Flaine) level. Still snowing. Vis not looking good at the top, maybe a day for sticking to the trees. Yesterday was good with nice (tracked) powder off the edges of the piste. Light worsened as the day wore on but still a good day. Conditions are infinitely better than when I left on 3 January.
snow report
Thanks for the updates Chris and Basil pleased to hear conditions are holding although sounds like you need to keep high. Hope Mrs B is feeling ok and you manage to get a few runs in together. On the forecasts here this morning it says some light snow today but every time I look it changes.
latest report
Great day today, Les Carroz and Morillon were in lovely condition. 9-10am the first few runs down around Gron were just awesome, Some great powder both on and off the piste. It was mid afternoon before the low cloud really took a grip in Carroz but I had some great fun under Gron and under the Keudeuze in the trees. The new snow should piste up really nicely tomorrow however it has turned noticably milder in the village this evening.
latest report
Samoens excellent too but weather closed in earlier and we finished just after midday as visibility very poor. Had snowed last night and we found about 4" snow on the car this morning but as said above temps have risen today and a thaw set in but who skis in the village anyway. Forecast set fair for tomorrow so looking forward to a good day.
snow report
Stayed in Flaine today. Some wonderful conditions. Aujon early on had 15cm of powder on it and the sides were lovely. Moved across to the Diamant Noir chair, off to the left of Fause had lovely fresh powder, did 4 runs down there making fresh tracks each time. Vis in the pm less good but still very good skiing. Stayed cold all day, so not the same problems that others report above. Clear ski tonight so will be cold tomorrow morning. The pistes are almost empty and no queues so all in all a very good day.
snow report
Thanks for the updates guys. Will be there Sat hopefully conditions remain same or improve even.
ski holidays
I'll second that. Also out on the24th . Where are you staying?.
snow conditions
We will also be out on Saturday (24th) and feeling a lot happier / relaxed now that the snow has arrived. We are in Flaine (Le Centaure).

Let's hope the weather behaves as it should from now on and everyone gets good snow and decent weather!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy