Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Fergus, nice one, I saw lots heading up the midi and thought that won't be good in a white out. Which is what we had at Le Tour. Snow was great on and off piste, but only got three clear runs all day. But they were very very nice, plus not too many people for Easter Sunday.
Had a pleasant pint in the Bar next to the Zag shop.

Winter seems to have returned to Chamonix.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Off the Tete de Balme.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a choice of Courmayeur vs Verbier for a day trip on Tues (from Argentiere) - anybody been to either recently and have strong views?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We ajpm skied GM, I think we along with Mr Bell made the wrong choice.
We got lost on Chamois in a white out, must have followed some going off piste.

Eventually found the piste again after hearing voices.

I talked lindsay into trying some Black Crows, big mistake.
Now she wants new skis.
We also lost all while trying these off piste.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowdave,
Had 90 minutes in Courmayeur this morning before meeting chums at Helbronner. Pistes were like concrete, the off piste similar, but with between 2 and 12 inches of fresh snow Depending on altitude.

Maybe I am soft, but I wouldn't go there when the snow in Chamonix is so much better. Then again, someone will now post a picture of knee deep powder there at lunchtime.

There is a lot of grass, earth and rubble as a backdrop.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fergus wrote:
Grand Envers this morning - spectacular. Bottomless freshies all way down. Blue skies as almost entirely above the cloud. Video to follow

Very envious. Not really an option with a 6 year old. Look forwards to video.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonathan Bell, if you're the one with blue jacket and grey beard your six year old was showing me up on the GM a couple of days ago!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Someone will put together some GoPro foot' but for now can you view this?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153311754455864&l=6172834612516197390
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fergus, oh, wow! Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied the Envers today - Lift was an hour late opening, but what can you expect, no fresh overnight and blue sky!
Lots of fresh left over form yesterdays kook fest - BUT had to choose the aspect correctly, N Great, E a little crust bit otherwise good. S horrible, sun crust on heavy, deep snow.
A lot of the Envers varies between S and E so had to watch our - good coverage al the way to Montonvers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A lovely day up in Le Tour today, everything in great nick. Off piste needed a little bit of care given the crust and the odd lump, but not a lot of people, snow in brilliant condition, generally a top top day. Yippeeeeeeee. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I decided to hit Brévènt today before its snow melted. It was busy but not heaving like GM has been these past few days. It was sunny and warm, like a true Spring day and the off piste snow consisted of very firm chop that stayed choppy but got softer as the day wore on.

Firm chop off piste
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Had a cracking day at Le Tour, had a run down the back which was nice but still felt a bit sketchy, the photo is one of my Stash Secréte, north facing and light powder, not thick but enough.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HammondR, thanks, have decided to take the Italian option anyway and will report back!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Big hype from people who skied the Rond yesterday but we opted for the Couloir des Cosmiques today. First bin up the Midi and at the top before 10am. Hellish entry to the cosmiques. Usually it's a 30m abseil at most but the wind and other skiers had scraped the upper slopes so we ended up making an additional 3 pitches to be safe. Worth it though, deep stable snow which could be taken at speed. Traverse back to mid station wasn't even to horrendous. I see that Tof Henry and Jacob Wester have been skiing back into town with only a 30 min walk - tempting... snowHead
latest report
If any Cham snowHeads with MBU season pass are planning a trip to Courmayeur, I have a tunnel pass that fixx bought but was unable to use before she jetted off to the UK. PM if you want it.
snow report

Had a day at Courmayeur. Early on the Val Veny side was hard hardpack, the sort that loosens your fillings. Gabba was nice all day. The front side was ok high up but the bottom became very spring like, I don't think there are many more weeks left.
Did have a really good ski off Arp down into Val Veny. Powder at the top, and tip toe through the tulips at the bottom. It's still JUST possible to ski out to Zerrota with a little walk.

ski holidays
@jbob, that's a mighty large swathe of slide debris in your second pic Shocked
ski holidays
@Zero_G, it got worse, we had to paddle the river.

I certainly wouldn't want to be in that gully when it slides.
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
@Jonathan Bell, if you're the one with blue jacket and grey beard your six year old was showing me up on the GM a couple of days ago!

Blue jacket - yes. Grey beard no. But is don't think my boy will be long showing me up.
latest report
Classique VB yesterday with my co-workers - apologies if you bumped into us...

Solo Crochues - Berard traverse today. Still a nice, fast, open descent into the valley. Bit of a walk down to Le Buet but not too bad. Hot hot hot in town today.

Thinking about some touring off the midi - anyone got some suggestions?
latest report
you don't work for blackcrows by any chance do you? A friend of mine does and they had a soiree up there yesterday!
snow report
Nah, I wish. I work at a British run hotel.
ski holidays
Last day of the season for me on Monday. Headed to GM and had one run off the top. Nothing to shout about pretty hard, and the lower pistes were either hard pack or spring at best. Felt mildly anxious about not busting anything on my last day! Had a nice chat with ZeroG on the mid station terrasse where there seemed twice as many people as the slopes.
latest report
jbob wrote:
Last day of the season for me on Monday. Headed to GM and had one run off the top. Nothing to shout about pretty hard, and the lower pistes were either hard pack or spring at best. Felt mildly anxious about not busting anything on my last day! Had a nice chat with ZeroG on the mid station terrasse where there seemed twice as many people as the slopes.

See you next season. Have a good summer. I am in Chamonix part of July and August if you are out.
latest report
Byeeee @jbob! See you next season.
snow conditions
Does anyone know of local companies/options in Chamonix for moving a few bags back to the UK (London) in the next couple of weeks?

Thanks!
latest report
@fixx, I can't recall if he's still running the service but you could try http://www.philipwhitefreight.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, ta - still doing the service, but looks like we can't quite get the dates to work unfortunately.
latest report
Is anyone in Chamonix today? Is it snowing heavily? Looks good on the weather sites so wondering if it's worth a trip up tomorrow.
latest report
@Steve77, I'm here but didn't ski, it's zero vis up there. I wouldn't get too excited about snowfall unless you're going up the Midi, the freezing level is now high enough for the top of GM to transform, so any new snow that falls up there will probably end up being wet and heavy.
ski holidays
Though I'm not here for much longer. I'm off tomorrow morning, so that's the end of the Cham season for me. Adieu all!
ski holidays
Hoping the freezing level stays lower than 2500 , got tour plans for tomorrow Cool Cool
ski holidays
Where are you planning to tour? I'm off to Chamonix tomorrow with some friends until Tues/Wed and hoping to do some tours.
latest report
http://www.highmountainguides.com/index.php/eng/Reports/Ski-Touring-Mountaineering-Reports/Ski-Mountaineering-in-Chamonix/Col-du-Tour-Noir-Argentiere

Planning on this

Or

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Haute-Savoie/Le-Col-Du-Tacul
ski holidays
First tracks up and down col du tour noir today , top section was superb , bit variable after that , but amazing last ski of the season Happy
snow conditions
Skied a little bit of Les Houches today, closing day. Not much still open, only the Kandahar chair and Chamois drag lift realy. conditions, very soft. Hardly anyone around of course. More snowy than end of last season suprisingly.
snow conditions
Some very sad news.

http://www.chamonet.com/news/pisteur-dies-in-a-fall-at-grands-montets-yesterday-argentiere-683425
latest report
I wouldn't attempt the Vallee Blanche now:

TR: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=118768
snow report
Arrived in Chamonix this morning and it's been peeing down all day. We went for the lunch in Italy option Toofy Grin

Was anyone skiing on GM today? Looks like there may be a small let up in the weather tomorrow morning but freezing level 2800m.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy