Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Zero_G, snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob, the Bochat peak is just across the border in Switzerland, sounds really impressive that we skinned from France to Switzerland but it wasn't really wink

under a new name, I'm really chuffed but boy do I need better cardio fitness!

midgetbiker, did you find a ride? I was meant to be heading to Verbier tomorrow with a huge group for both the FWT and for a birthday but looks like we're doing the birthday skiing thing at GM tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nope, nothing at the moment. Trains can get me there but not till 11am and by the time i got up to the comp face the Womens Ski would be over. So i guess i'm watching on the laptop again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Zero_G, I've done a bit of touring around Le Tour and can't think where it is!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Zero_G, not sure it's exactly cardio. Much like other skiing, the onlytraining for rando, is rando. Not saying of course that any other training is not a good idea ...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob wrote:
I've done a bit of touring around Le Tour
understatement of the century Laughing
jbob wrote:
and can't think where it is!
I have, very probably, got the name of that little peak wrong but will point it out the next time I ski with you down that end of the valley. It's probably too small to register on your radar wink

under a new name wrote:
@Zero_G, not sure it's exactly cardio. Much like other skiing, the onlytraining for rando, is rando. Not saying of course that any other training is not a good idea ...
sure but being cardio fit means less stopping to catch your breath.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Zero_G, sure, but only rando fit is, etc. feckin hard work it is.

But.
You.
Earn.
Your.
Turns!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brevent today. It was a beautiful sunny morning, a little colder than of late. The snow was in good condition with a few more folk on the hill than we have be used to. As the sun passed over the Midi it slowly disappeared into building cloud until by late afternoon it had turned into a grey flat day. There is great anticipation in the air, and as I write this at just before six, also some rain!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob wrote:
a few more folk on the hill than we have be used to

GM was rammed Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If this promised dump does happen, what does that mean for the snowpack and avy conditions?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Zero_G, good question. Rule one, if there's an expert opinion about then go with that.
My thoughts are, depending on the wind, there will be an immediate danger on Monday and Tuesday when the heavy new layer may slide before it has bonded especially on sleeper slopes, if it is windy during or after the snowfall there will be a higher level of risk on lee slopes near ridges and at the top of gullies, look out for wind lips. Once it's settled in say 3/4 days the risk will lower, lower still after a freeze thaw cycle. The buried weak layer may be further consolidated.
Some things to look for,
Natural slides
The first sunny day
Large lumps of snow falling from the trees
Signs of strong wind, note direction
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Midi opend late, turned up at 9 went up at 11, home by 4.

By the time we got up there it was blowing hard and vis was non existant.
Vis got better progressivly form col du Midi down.
Snow up high was wind and sun affected crust on soft heavy
Lower down less crust but still heavy
Below Requin, slush over ice.
Had to que for gondola and Train, first time for a while
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks jbob, with my limited knowledge, the only thing I could think of is possible strong wind = surface slab. Your assessment includes a lot more variables. So much to learn.

Idris, sounds like a character-building day!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zero_G, you're spot on re the wind slab. A woomph noise, and the snow cracking between the skis are red flags.
On a brighter note. I've got some even bigger skis to test next week. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I need to work out which skis to bring next weekend.

Head Supershape rally (new unused)
Head Supershape Titan
Whitedot preachers
ski holidays
@Neville, check out our Facebook page to help you decide - if it's good enough for Eva..............

www.facebook.com/whitedotskis

Disclaimers: I have a vested interest in Whitedot; I can still feel yesterdays champagne spray in the air and so remain far too excited to be impartial.
ski holidays
OK panic over. Just back from Brevent and it's snowing hard already at the top of the gondola, I would estimate the rain/snow line at about 1600m.

@Neville, go big Very Happy
snow conditions
jbob, sounds promising! I spent the day in bed, drifting in and out of feverish sleep (round two of the Cham lurgy), so I haven't been out at all today. Hoping to feel strong enough to ski tomorrow and enjoy some of the freshly-fallen snow.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, I'm thinking tomorrow might be non too nice. I'm going to Le Tour early to deliver my visitor to evo2 for 9 am. I have some skis to demo as well but not expecting it to be much fun. No doubt the cham night shift will have nabbed all the lines by Tuesday.
snow report
just been given a chance of a late season trip for the closing weekend of chamonix 16th-19th april, with the new snow will i still get some good turns in at that time ?? hoping to be able to a couple of day tours ??
ski holidays
@Dabber, day tours probably, good turns? depends if you can turn, really!
snow report
@under a new name, hah , maybe miscallaneous erratic changes of direction would be closer to the mark Cool
snow report

It's official, meteo France calling an avi risk rising to 4/5 for tomorrow, all aspects over 2000m. Take it easy.
snow conditions
Just woke up in Chamonix centre. Been snowing most the night. Moderate snow even at this level.
latest report
@benwiggy, really , cos that's not what the webcams look like.

Does look like it's been pretty windy up top...
latest report
It isn't settling at this height. Doesn't mean it isn't falling though!
snow report
Actually, its warmed up a little. Now its raining. (1035m)
snow report
Winter wags it's tail.
Le Tour opening, slowly. Vis awful. Snow heavy. Avi risk 4/5

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 30-03-15 13:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, much as forecast looks like a snowline at 1,500m or so to me.

@jbob, your world is so upside down snowHead
snow conditions
Ass, elbow, hard to say.
snow report
@jbob, I know that feeling all too well. We're in CHX Wednesday for a week, friends coming to stay. Perhaps we could actually arrange a beer if you're around?
latest report
Update from Chamonix: spent the morning in brevant, just a couple of pistes/lifts open. Snow still coming down. Got some good powder in this morning, but the limited slopes means it's all chopped up where you can ski today.

When they open the higher lifts (tomorrow or wed most likely) there will be some spectacular powder.

We're unfortunately leaving tonight though, but all you lucky skiers heading out this week, v jealous...
snow conditions
@under a new name, a beer sounds good. How about Thursday, I'll let the massive know.

Had an early start and early finish today. Skied at Le Tour which had had a couple of feet of snow, not powder! The visibility was poor, and limited lifts open. Quite a few people there as GM was closed for the day and all the high lifts at Berevent also closed. As we left at mid day it was snowing in Le Tour 1400m and had turned to rain in Argentiere. We arrived before the first bus, and when it did arrive it had to drop everyone off at the very bottom of the car park as it couldn't get up!

When the high stuff opens tomorrow or Wednesday it might be f good.
snow report
^ Now I don't feel too bad about staying off the mountain today. After yesterday's fever, I finally had my appetite back and had Michelin star lunch, all in prep for skiing tomorrow, of course.

Btw, have added some pics to my touring post on pg 16. Unfortunately, Mick only took pics of the skinning on the first section and none of the skiing.
ski holidays
Similar day at les houches today - we went there as the visibility looked good on the webcam and all the lifts were open.

Lots of fresh snow but all very wet and claggy - the angles of the slopes at houches meaning it was very difficult to get any kind of momentum going on the cement-like snow.

Didn't stay for long. Returned to the car park via the kandahar which was actually in an ok condition despite the rain - wet with rain but skiable right to the bottom.
ski holidays
Chamonet tweeted this pic of the amount of snow that has fallen at GM mid station. That's not a paltry amount!
https://mobile.twitter.com/chamonet_news/status/582462379755192320/photo/1

So, do we reckon that the wind will suck some of the moisture out of the claggy snow or will it just cause a crust on top of cement?
ski holidays

This is the depth on the deck at Charamillion. It's not powder, it will be lighter higher, but needs a steep slope. Heard some comments re the snow at GM. It wasn't opened as it was not safe. Lots of slab. Not even the Ric was thought safe to open.
latest report
@jbob, not at all surprised!
snow conditions

Avi level dropping to 3/5 tomorrow but warning of wind slab.
ski holidays
just booked late long weekend , so lets hope it sticks around for a fortnight snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy