Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Sharkymark, sounds like you looked at the pisteurs route.
On Tuesday we did the Grand Mur which is below it, it was OK then with some soft snow, but it's steep and if it was hard a slip would mean a long slide, good call.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sharkymark wrote:
Brevent this morning for some fun spring snow and a good descent off what I think is called the Col du Cornu (?). Fairly steep North facing fun line that exits on the Flegere side of the transfer cable.

Aiguille Pourrie into Combe de la Gliere (after the Hotel face warm-up).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for saving me @offpisteskiing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

The grand finale of the week was a tour to Col de Belvedere in hot and humid conditions. However, after two substantial abseils (about 140 or so) onto the North face, we skied perfect chalky cold snow followed by super fun spring snow on the meadows below snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sharkymark, you've had quite the week! Thanks for updates and pics Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sharkymark wrote:
Thanks for saving me @offpisteskiing

There's a story here just crying out to be shared...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Piste conditions in Balme yesterday were slushy with a couple of slopes with massive bare patches. Not just muddy snow, full on no snow 100% grass patches.

Don't really mind the slush on my board but a lot of the skiers were complaining.

In much worse condition that when I was here April last year.

I haven't ventured out yet today, hard to get excited about 'light to moderate rain' forecast.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kat.ryb, the previous 3 years saw rather deeper accumulations and generally colder weather than this year. All of which means...

Weather, eh?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cham meteo is calling 10-20 this afternoon and tonight, it's needed. With maybe a bit more thro the week.
I guess they will try and keep as much open as they can until Easter then it will be GM only and for me some walking too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Zero_G, for all the talk of gnarliness these pictures sum up the week quite well too...!

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
although in fairness @Sharkymark did do some skiing too:

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A few more pictures, and a conditions up date here:

http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.fr/2015/03/chamonix-freeride-course-conditions.html

(No time to repost here as have 2 toddlers to exercise...)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@offpisteskiing, conjuring a good week of offpiste skiing this last week was very clever. I'm always nervous of booking a course well in advance, I'll be less so now.
That's also looks like a cracking bomberdino, location, secret!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jbob, yes, it was an excellent week with bonus Italian coffee stops and even the odd bombardino. There's always something to find and don't forget that @offpisteskiing is the Powfinder General snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Taking a day off as I've contracted manbola. It was pretty miserable in the valley this morning; light rain and cloud down to 2500m or so. No new snow visible below about 2000m. Some friends of mine reported a small covering of heavy powder off Brevent when they called it a day at lunchtime. Now in Switzerland and very much the same but a lower cloud base. Tomorrow morning could be reasonable
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, you must be cream crackered after last week.
ski holidays
Yes and the man flu isn't helping! Snow limit is just above the town here in Verbier: says a lot when I met my Brother earlier after he'd spent a day of DH on his bike at Dorenaz...
snow conditions

Brevent/Flegere was lovely today. Sunny and warm with no wind. The snow had been topped up by what seemed like a couple of inches. It wasn't as good as the photo portrays, and it depended very much on height. Spring lower down and lighter higher up. Heard good reports from GM and powder reported on the VB.
latest report
First day back on skis in a month, so headed to GM with low expectations (based on the reports from a few people in town).

I was very pleasantly surprised. Granted, we only headed up around 10.30, so the refrozen stuff was starting to soften a smidgen. Overall, it was chopped up and soft up top while lower down towards mid-station level was chopped up and icy/crunchy on some aspects or chopped up and slushy on others.

Since it was a gloriously sunny day with warm temps (base layer and shell was all I needed), we were rewarded with some mighty fine wet spring snow after lunch. I do love slush snowHead

I only skied one and a bit pistes: mostly boilerplate on the sections I skied but I imagine they would have softened later in the day under that blazing sun.
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
A few more pictures, and a conditions up date here:

http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.fr/2015/03/chamonix-freeride-course-conditions.html

Damnit, why does everyone keep digging up the Meadows? wink
Looks like a great week for your group, I have a suitable level of snow envy.
snow report
Skied Courmayeur yesterday, it was pretty grim, even for the hardcore folk in our group (posted the conditions on the Aosta thread if anyone's interested).

Pootled around GM today. Pootled because it was whiteout from the top to halfway down the Bochard the entire morning, moving down to almost the mid-station around 2pm, when it started to snow very lightly.

Snow was variable up top, becoming slightly slushy around the top of the Herse and proper slushy further down. However, the slush was merely a thin layer on top of refrozen crud (off piste), so a marked difference from two days ago.

Enjoyed the skiing, just didn't enjoy the whiteout.
ski holidays
Worst day of the season for me today.
Went to Le Tour despite a full set of white screens on the web cams. We had some visitors who were only out for three days so took a chance.
The snow from yesterday had added about two inches all over and went a bit lower down the hill than I had expected, but it was soon mixed up with the soft base and actually not bad to ski on. A bit colder than it has been lately.
The problem was the total whiteout made it quite an unpleasant experience.
Hoping for clearer skies tomorrow and some more snow over the weekend. Fingers crossed.
latest report
Hi folks,

A group of 5 of us are flying to Milan on Good Friday for 5 days skiing at an as yet undecided resort.

When we originally booked flights we were thinking Cervinia but at this stage its pretty hard to get suitable accommodation.

Chamonix is an option as it isn't much more than a 3hr drive from Milan (we're renting a car). Any incling on what the conditions are set to be like over Easter? Alternatively we may try and book somewhere in Val D'Isere which would be more snowsure?

One female member of our group won't be skiing so a town like Chamonix would have been good as there's plenty else to keep her occupied.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
snow conditions
Base yourselves in Aosta (2 hours from Milan), then decide on a day by day basis - Pila, La Thuile, Cervinia, Courmayeur, Verbier, and lots of smaller resorts in the valley. Lots of accommodation in Aosta.
latest report
Oops, and obviously Chamonix as well.
snow report
@Kenski, "Verbier" ??? But otherwise a good idea. Aosta's a nice town, lots of great restaurants, a few things to do inc. shopping ...
snow conditions
I'm flying to Chamonix this evening for 3 days (sat/sun/mon) of skiing.

Looking at the forecast it looks clear tomorrow then bucket loads of snow sun/mon.

Any recommendations on where to ski? (piste & off-piste) I'm with 2 strong skiers so we're open minded - and haven't been to chamonix before...
latest report
@benwiggy, I'm not quite sure where the "buckets of snow Mon/Tue" is coming from ... http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

Tomorrow - anywhere although high wind may affect play. If it's only snowing above 1,500m Sun/Mon probbaly Grands Montets - although is there is indeed a big fall, you might be as well just up Brevent/Flegere. Also depends where you're staying. Just for ease of access.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@benwiggy, I'm not quite sure where the "buckets of snow Mon/Tue" is coming from ... http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

Tomorrow - anywhere although high wind may affect play. If it's only snowing above 1,500m Sun/Mon probbaly Grands Montets - although is there is indeed a big fall, you might be as well just up Brevent/Flegere. Also depends where you're staying. Just for ease of access.

Must be a noob with these forecasts, was looking at snow-forecast.com/j2ski/google but if chamonix-meteo is the better source, happy to go with that.

Staying at Résidence Quartz Montblanc, seems to be in the middle of Brevent/Samaran & Planards...
snow report
@benwiggy, ah. Nice I think. Quite new.

Chamonix-Meteo definitely the bloke to follow. All the others are only automated forecasts based off varyingly well integrated versions of the weather models. Cham Met is a real weather forecaster based in the valley.

? Samaran - I think you mean Savoy. Beginners only. Planards a single chair on a single slope. Your easiest access is to just walk up the hill to Brevent. There's probably a minibus shuttle if you're feeling lazy. I wouldn't bother. You're pretty near a bus stop to get to Grands Montets / La Balme as well. Excellent little civilised wine bar for quiet aperos about 50m from your front door, "Lapin Agile". Also "Moo", "Elevation" and "Chambre Neuf" for slightly rowdier beers just up the road.
snow conditions
@under a new name, Aosta to telecabina at Le Chable takes about 2 hours vis GS Bernardo. Worth it if conditions are right.
snow report
@Kenski, always feels longer to me. And 4 hours driving for only a day's skiing feels like rather a lot of effort given the generally good conditions right now around the lower end of the valley at least.
ski holidays
@under a new name, Should probably have said 'even Verbier'!

Agreed not worth it if conditions elsewhere in valley are good - though trip to Champoluc takes about same time. Nice problem to have though!
ski holidays
? Aosta - Champoluc about 45 mins. About same as Cervinia. Are you confusing two conversations? Of which there are, two, confusingly.
wink

Or, indeed, am I?
ski holidays
No, it's you. snowHead

Aosta-Champoluc about 45 mins. Cervinia a little quicker.
ski holidays
My first full day of touring. Absolutely shattered but it was totally worth it. Scene of the crime was Le Tour and Vallorcine and I summited my first peak (it was a little one), the Bochat, I think. We found great snow off the back of that peak, at least shin-deep untracked. And then more soft stuff in the back bowls of Le Tour. Amazing what snow you can access with a pair of skins! The front faces of Le Tour were all glorious slush. So a brilliant day snowHead

Dicking around with bindings

Pointing to the first tracks I've ever made as the result of skinning

Later, some bootpacking

Edited to add pics.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 30-03-15 14:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Well done, @Zero_G, I recall my first full day on skins. Exhausted.
latest report
@Zero_G, nice one. Where is Bochat?
BTW dump alert for Sunday/Monday!!!
snow conditions
@jbob, i have your rangers to test, can you grab them over the weekend and keep until my return in Easter?
snow report
HELP - anyone - in Chx and would really like to be in Verbier tomorrow for the FWT, but all my lifts and tentative arrangements have fallen through.

Anyone driving over for the day and have a spare seat?

fingers crossed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy