Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
I've been asked for more updates from Cham, so here's my view of the past two days...

Yesterday (Sunday) went to Le Tour with some beginner friends, so can't comment on off-piste, but pistes were generally still well covered, and nice and soft with just a touch of slush - nothing to bother anyway. Really hot and sunny - every zip I could find was open (no midlayer, just shell and baselayer, and pants), and I even took to skiing without gloves for a while. Lovely day blasting about in the sun, and the beginners all had a fantastic time and felt great at the end.

Today (Monday) Packed my hardshell in my backpack and headed out with just a light softshell for another warm sunny day! Headed to GM with sdiddy around noon, popped straight into Lavanchets, and just lapped that all afternoon apart from a quick sunbathing break to met up with HammondR as well. Good snow in there, though rather bumped up, but condition is holding for the minute (and I like bumps Smile). Fair bit of slush on lower parts of GM from mid-afternoon on though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

fixx, I keep trying to visualise the route we took with Chris off the top bin and along the moraine so that I can do it again when I return to Cham but my memory of it is already getting fuzzy, damnit. Hope you can remember it!

@Zero_G, I think I'd remember it - we need to have a look when you get back snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, @fixx, much as one would expect from the temps and weather?

"With just a touch of slush" is surely a fine definition of perfectly turned spring snow ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be back in Cham in just under two weeks and I'm looking forward to the Spring conditions Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Zero_G, Lucky.... snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm there from Saturday for a week and I'm looking forward to it too snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had a laid back ski at Le Tour this morning, it was lovely, quiet, and sunny. The pistes were in good condition and were what could best be described as soft hard pack. The off changed thro the day from refrozen slush to slightly softer refrozen slush but skiable.
For those interested all the Nordic skiing is still open, the track at Valorcine is soft but still nice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jbob,
Welcome back. Let's hope you have brought a bit of snow back with you! Glad I didn't rush out and buy fat powder skis 2 or 3 weeks ago (not that I would be able to have done them justice anyway).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can anyone give me a bit of info about the skinning track at les houches? Is opened/shut by the lift company or is it at your own discretion? Likely condition at the weekend also appreciated

Cheers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sharkymark, jbob and HammondR, if you three haven't yet skied together, you should. I reckon the three of you would have a great day together.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Zero_G, @Sharkymark,

I see snow forecast for Sat thru to Mon - the first three days of my week there too. Enough to lug out the Redeemers or just the Directors and Preachers? Decisions, decisions.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big Paua, ooh of course, you're there too! I don't arrive until the 21st, so have to live vicariously through this thread.
(Btw, have yet to reply to your PM but will do so).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We also arrive on the 14th, can't wait!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zero_G,

The 21st? Dayamn! Heading for a week's touring at Ste Foy on that very day...meanwhile - back in Chamonix - think I'd recognise Sharkymark even if I saw him back end on in a queue again - tall, skinny, black hair (really narrows it down, eh?)...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hollando wrote:
Can anyone give me a bit of info about the skinning track at les houches? Is opened/shut by the lift company or is it at your own discretion? Likely condition at the weekend also appreciated

Cheers

Lots of people skinning up the track today. It's a bit thin in places, mud coming thro like a bruised banana.

Elsewhere at Les Houches, it was poor mans powder (slush), I love it.
snow report
I arrive on Friday afternoon. Can't wait!
snow conditions
Skied the Glacier Rond today. Pretty crappy snow conditions made for an interesting descent. First time I've traversed to the mid station - not enjoyable in today's slush
snow report
Big Paua wrote:
@Zero_G, @Sharkymark,

I see snow forecast for Sat thru to Mon - the first three days of my week there too. Enough to lug out the Redeemers or just the Directors and Preachers? Decisions, decisions.

Such small amounts forecast, though. The Preachers should suffice, n'est-ce pas?
snow report
Big Paua wrote:
@Zero_G,
think I'd recognise Sharkymark even if I saw him back end on in a queue again - tall, skinny, black hair (really narrows it down, eh?)...

Norrona outfit, Powdair skis...
snow conditions
Zero_G wrote:
Big Paua wrote:
@Zero_G,
think I'd recognise Sharkymark even if I saw him back end on in a queue again - tall, skinny, black hair (really narrows it down, eh?)...

Norrona outfit, Powdair skis...

Accurate
ski holidays
I'm out next friday - hoping ofr some snow next week then some nice spring sunshine for my week snowHead
ski holidays
@Big Paua, given the lack of soft snow on the N Face of Fogliettaz on Weds I wouldn't worry too much about bringing anything too big out for next week, particularly given current forecasts for precip next week (small amounts)...
snow conditions
Hi Folks,
Late return to Chamonix tomorrow(Sat) night, &I should be around until Tue.
So if anyone would like to meet up to do a bit of skiing, I'm game!! Happy
Let me know
snow conditions
Anyone at GM - how is the snow at the moment? Probably heading out to Cham on the 25th for a long+ w/e.
ski holidays
Spring-like.
snow report
Un-thawed spring-like Toofy Grin
latest report
Combat skiing, in other words.
snow report
Good! All sorted for 25th - 30th. Happy A big dump is a coming - can feel it in me bones.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just booked to come out Easter Weekend, can't wait Very Happy
snow report
Neville, pack shorts and flip flops!
ski holidays
I'm sure there will be something to ski on.
i will bring the factor 50 though

Nothing better than getting back in the afternoon and sitting by a bar in your shorts having a cold beer,
best of both worlds ?
snow report
Indeed. I think it was the 11/12 season when it was ridiculously hot by mid-March and I was walking around town in shorts and flops. That season, I carried my flops in my backpack. When I finished skiing for the day, it was a massive relief to take my boiling hot ski boots off and be able to wear the flip flops home on the bus. Pure bliss!
ski holidays
Summer in Chamonix. Very much winter in Courmayeur today Toofy Grin Classic foehn conditions
snow report
We were heading to Courmayeur this morning but looked at what seemed dreadful conditions on the web cams. Had a pleasant ski at Les Houches in the spring snow (slush). Now seen a couple of photos of people skiing in fresh snow in Italy.
ski holidays
Vis was bad...very bad at times. Not so bad though considering the condition and unexpected quantity of new snow. Thought it'd be a dusting; more like boot deep and heavy enough to counter the crud underneath. We're heading back tomorrow snowHead
snow report
How is it looking? Out tomorrow Happy
snow report
@kat.ryb, my wife's just arrived back and describes slick pistes but with perfectly skiable off piste.

I fly out on Sunday, so I guess I'll find out then.
snow conditions
Le Tour today lovely spring snow but getting thin. Courmayeur yesterday spring snow plus some freshies high up. GM Tuesday, some fantastic snow off the top, wind delivered powder inter spaced with occasional hard pack and wind damaged refrozen stuff. All in all, still good, but a refresh needed.
snow report

Brevent this morning for some fun spring snow and a good descent off what I think is called the Col du Cornu (?). Fairly steep North facing fun line that exits on the Flegere side of the transfer cable.

We decamped to Grand Montets this afternoon and attempted a steep line from the view point above the top bin station. It was along the ridge and exited onto the black run below. A bit of ropework needed but having arrived, the snow was bulletproof and consequences significant so we left it for another day.
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:

Abe Sapien skis Chamonix!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy