Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead

This is how deep it was first thing this morning when I put on my skis. Sorry, didn't stop to take photos during the day because it was too good to stop.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Two powder days on the trot, pow! pow! It's started. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great day today up GM. My wife finally graduated to serious powder skiing! Had an absolute blast although being first day on skis since March meant we tired fast!

Still some mean rocks out there. Skis took a battering and a particularly nasty gash has probably written them off after this trip. I'll soldier through this week, purely because I'm broke!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just don't want to know!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Just for you David.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like lots of snow sharks to me. I so would not want to risk a small scrape to my bases up there. Really pleased can't ski lokks utterly, errr

'Ever

snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quite right there were a few sharks about.
What is nice that neither the wind nor a thaw has had a chance to spoil it yet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jbob, 'ever
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob wrote:
Two powder days on the trot, pow! pow! It's started. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Was great today, wasn't it!
Couldn't believe the amount of untracked off piste available on the Balme side of Le Tour this morning – yesterday's poor viz must have had something to do with it. Though it didn't stay untracked for long and I put the second track down on my fave face, then looped around repeatedly until the crowds started appearing. Snow was heavier than yesterday's, obviously, so decent amount of thigh burn. Frikkin' cold out there too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Laps of Floria in Flegere for me today - deepest day of the winter so far. Yes, alot of snow sharks and a few core-shots but it was a damn fun day!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can recommend a great hotel in Zurich. For those with broken hands who are working, not skiing.

Who wants to ski anyway? Preposterous sport.

Glad you're all having fun, just trumpy and jealous Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, how long until you can ski again? How about skiing without poles?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Zero_G, it's not so much the poles as the risk of rebreaking in a fall - which would be bad. Very bad.

Seeing surgeon week on Friday, which is first weekend I'd be skiing anyway, fingers would be crossed if they had that mobility snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Then just don't fall wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Zero_G, i don't very often, but just once...
snow conditions
I had to hang around Les Houches yesterday, but it was one of those days that was going to be good wherever you were. Plenty fresh snow all day.

Made a point of hammering my ski legs into shape, now going back to UK for 3 days and coming back Thurs with them fully recovered!
snow report
footsoldier wrote:
was going to be good wherever you were.

Speaking to a few people here at the end of the day, everyone had a great day, whichever mountain they were on.
latest report
Someone please tell me the skiing was shite today – I'm grounded for two days while I have new bindings mounted on my skis. It's due to snow lightly tomorrow snowHead but I can't ski Sad
ski holidays
@Zero_G, sorry. Went to Courmayeur and had a great day.
It was snowing hard as we exited the tunnel and carried on snowing all day. There were very few people on the hill, most of them in lessons or british or both. There was a 15-25 cm layer of fresh snow everywhere. It was over a hard base but made for some great skiing. I didn't venture too far off piste but there was some good lines to be had in the woods. The top ticket was closed but I wouldn't have been brave enough given the poor vis and fresh snow.
Another great day.
snow report

Gabba.
snow conditions
I skied Les Houches this morning. Stayed on-piste but it was very quiet so plenty of room to cruise about and work on a few things. Did see some instructors getting instructed - anyone know what was going on? Looked like quite a few training groups. Snow was firm, but in good nick, except for the very very bottom back to the base station where it got a bit scraped.

@jbob - glad to hear Courmayeur is in good shape now! I've been wanting to do a trip over there all season - might have to have a go on Thurs or Fri Smile

@Zero_G - which bindings?!
ski holidays
Happy for you all having such a good day (now I understand how under a new name feels when he reads this thread), no really! Actually, really, always good to read about the stoke even if I can't partake snowHead

fixx, some or other tech bindings... Dynafiddle Beast something...
latest report
Take it easy out there. I read that there was a fatality on the Italian side in recent days, mentioned here in the Val d'Aosta avy report:

http://appweb.regione.vda.it/DBWeb/bollnivometeo/bollnivometeo.nsf/vista_e/$first?OpenDocument&L=_e
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., it's pretty grim this side too.

There's a chap here who recently started touring and who seems to have little-to-no knowledge about the snowpack or assessing the avi risk. Added to which, he has an ABS pack that's part of the recent recall series but has neither test fired it nor sent it in because he reckons he'd rather have it with him and take a chance than not have it while ABS has it, and he doesn't want to have to pay for a new cylinder if he test fires it. Needless to say, I won't be doing any off piste skiing with him – he's like a liability on two planks.
ski holidays
Actually, a big bugbear of mine is that, despite the largely international visitors who come to Chamonix, the official avi bulletin is only available in French.
latest report
@AndAnotherThing.., a friend sent me that and when I read it began to realise why they are sticking with a three. It's complicated.
snow report
Zero_G wrote:
Actually, a big bugbear of mine is that, despite the largely international visitors who come to Chamonix, the official avi bulletin is only available in French.

It's also been a bugbear of mine for a long time. I did write to the tourist office about it and while they were very sympathetic and agreed could not take it further other than to suggest that the guides office would always help. I'm now thinking that the cham meteo guy might be able to assist taking it further.
snow conditions
That's a bit of a copout response from the tourist office. While they very likely have no sway with Meteo France, the tourist office could at least translate the bulletin.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its unreal here right now. We were waist deep in pow today and maybe 100 other pppl on the whole hill!. No qs. Nothing. Still my french heart resides in val disere and my Austrian heart in san anton but cham and argentiere are catching up quickly!!

Tomorrow courmayer. Thursday verbier. Toofy Grin
snow report
jicjoc, sounds like the UCPA guys are finding you good snow snowHead
ski holidays
@fixx, Les Houches is one of the training centres for French instructors. If you're on the Col de Voza-Prarion chair you can pick up some good pointers snowHead
latest report
Zero_G wrote:
That's a bit of a copout response from the tourist office. While they very likely have no sway with Meteo France, the tourist office could at least translate the bulletin.

Considering Chamonix Meteo is available in English you wouldn't think it was too much of an ask
snow report
Rent some skis from Concept - @Zero_G, you may need to rent boots too I guess...
snow report
under a new name, with touring boots I can't rent the skis I want (already tried) and renting boots is out of the question with my biomechanics.

Whitters, I believe Chamonix Meteo is a one-man operation run by a local chap. I'm not sure if he's affiliated with Meteo France or the tourist office?
ski holidays
@Zero_G, zag will rent skis to go with touring boots, sometimes free!
Maybe not what you are after.
latest report
Zero_G wrote:
under a new name, with touring boots I can't rent the skis I want (already tried) and renting boots is out of the question with my biomechanics.

Whitters, I believe Chamonix Meteo is a one-man operation run by a local chap. I'm not sure if he's affiliated with Meteo France or the tourist office?

not sure if its a one man operation, the person who issues the report changed last season though. The office is in chamsud...
latest report
jbob, good to know for future reference, thanks! The day's almost over already, so am using it to be productive. Skiing tomorrow Smile
latest report
@Zero_G, even http://www.tecnicausa.com/product-detail/?id_categoria=9&product_uid=128825&color_number=VIO ? And Concept do have touring rigs set up.

Bummer!

Meteo Cham is not affiliated with Meteo France, although Meteo France also have an agency in Chamonix.
ski holidays
coming out to chamonix first week in feb to spend some time with my son , whoose there for the season , and with all the nice new snow we are thinking of hiring a guide for a days off piste ,my son is an very able snowboarder and so would appreciate any pointer to guides and venues for a good day out , he will have done the VB , so what else would be good for skier and boarder snowHead
latest report
Dabber, I can recommend Evolution 2 for guides, specifically Michel Bruel and Fred (can't remember his surname). Also, Yohann Boutin (Evo 2 too) but am not sure if he's a guide or just an instructor. For something different, how about one of the Pas de Chèvre routes off the top of Grands Montets? If you and your son are both experienced and comfortable with 35 degree pitches it can be a great day out with a runout onto the Mer de Glace and a great view of the Drus.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy