Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba Fly - the lift that will join Burz and Portovescovo

Poster: A snowHead
My instructor friend shared this with me on FB and has confirmed its planned for the 2015/2016 season.

http://www.neveitalia.it/ski/arabbamarmolada/news/seggiovia-arabba-fly-pronta-per-la-stagione-20152016

Finally snowHead although I'll still go the old way and call in at Mister X, regardless Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was just about to share this, but I think if you are based in arabba its not such a big deal, maybe better if you are trying to scoot around and get mileage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes agree. It does mean you should be able to get to either side without walking though even if you are in Arabba but it will probably mean taking a lift to get to the new lift etc. it may be quicker to still walk.

It will be interesting to see whether it makes Arabba much quieter near the Burz and Portavescovo lift stations.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm sure everyone is aware of this but work has started on the new lift and I've been told it's due to open this season

http://dolomitistars.dolomiti.org/index.cfm/events/nuova-seggiovia-arabba-eng/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure how it will open this season unless they plan to work all winter. Just looks like a hole in the ground so far.
Will be interesting how they lay out the cable what with a village in the middle to deal with.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree they seem overly optimistic. I wonder why the work didn't start early summer. A few websites report this season though but maybe they all got it from a single source etc. Not sure how longit takes to install a new chairlift. I guess this one is relatively short in distance compared to a lot.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
some images of the work here

http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/thumbnails.php?album=393&page=1

seems a long way from being ready...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks like more has actually happened than I expected.
had assumed, from a translation of a translation on a german forum, that "gained planning permission" really meant "still needs some agreement", and that one or both parties were essentially obliged to commence work, to force the other party to doing something too.
but that was from quite a while ago, so maybe that last party lost out playing chicken.
I expected them to do little more than put in foundations ready for the pylons as a political step, and not be in breach of permissions.

won't take long to put the pylons up. most can probably be done from the road with a crane, rather than chopper. end stations can be done in a week once the foundations are in. so it'll all be signed off by december, or will still be foundations and a pile of poles by the time of the BB.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just need the equivalent at Selva now to make the SR a skis-on experience (I think)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@red 27, there are a couple of roads to cross, although you can sometimes ski them if there's a lot of snow - one in Passo Pordoi on the way down from Canazei and one in Corvara that I can think of. Selva's not too bad, that's basically just crossing the road too, but Arabba was a 5 min trek through the car park and over the bridge! I'm happy to see a lift put in, I suppose it will be like the one in La Villa?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, Right - yes - I can see that things would depend upon conditions. I've always made it across those two roads you mention, but now I think on, there was a flight of stairs at some point that would be tricky even in snowblades.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They seem to be cracking on with this new lift. Just checked the camera at the back of the Portavescovo It's a bit distant, but they seem to have the roof for the machinery and the first pylon up and be well on with the control room. They might get it done for the beginning of the season. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This thing will spoil my view from hotel mesdi !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
essex wrote:
This thing will spoil my view from hotel mesdi !

Oh dear, it might be a bit too late to put a letter of objection in. snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The new fly lift will rid us of the long trudge through Arabba when following the Sella Ronda. But are they modifying the piste on the South side? Currently you can only get to the Southern end on a black run and it's also black runs from the lift to Arabba town.
snow conditions
That's not the way I read the piste map. On the Burz side it will be fed by a blue and a black. On the Portavescovo side it will be fed by blues, reds and blacks. snowHead
latest report
@NeddySkiGoon, I would confirm your reading of the piste map
latest report
I was looking at the 3D map as shown on the Dolomiti Superski website. http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/ski-map. On the Portavescovo side I can see only black runs leading to and from the lift. Can you point me to piste map you are looking at?
snow conditions
@chomski, I can't see the 3D map on my iPad, but I know there is a blue and red run that come back to the gondola station below Portavescovo (2D map here).
latest report
chomski,

http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/panorama/

Zoom in.
latest report
I'm working off last years paper map and I can't find a web copy.

I see what you mean, but I think that map is inaccurate. My understanding is the Burz side will start just above the button lift, you can see that on the web cam picture on the first page of the Birthday Bash thread. That whole area is blue down from Plan Boe, red then blue if you turn right at the top of the Burz chair, black if you go hard right in front of the new Restaurant.

The lift then crosses the valley and over the blue coming down from Passo Prodi. There will then be feeds from this blue run in to/out of the lift station. That's my reading of the plans, l might be wrong, but I don't think they would build a lift without reasonably easy access. snowHead
snow conditions
Chomski - the 3D map looks to be 'slightly' out to me. On the Portovescovo side it ends further down than shown by 3D. The actual end point is opposite the end of the Ornella red run.

second image in the link shows it better (image 1522 added 21 nov)

http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/thumbnails.php?album=393&page=1
snow conditions
@albob, Good link.
Damn!! Looks like pylons are in ... the ragazzi are at it.
ski holidays
NeddySkiGoon, albob. You may be right about accuracy of the maps published on the Dolomiti Superski website. But I have been using them for a year or two and they are usually more accurate than the standard schematic 2D maps. Nevertheless the plan shown here http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/albums/userpics/10101/81341-attraversamento-arabba.jpg suggests that the terminus on the Portavescovo side may be closer to the main lift complex than indicated on the 3D map. And I suspect that the short black linking to the blue Pordoi piste, should in fact be coloured blue. It would indeed be odd to build a major linking lift that was only served by black runs.
snow conditions
latest image of the Araba Fly end station - courtesy of Funivie.org..

Another post on 'Funivie' indicates that the cable has been 'spliced', so they are forecasting an opening before Christmas Smile

snow report
The chairs are now in place - a natty black/white/grey colour scheme !!

Can you spot the missing ingredient...?
snow conditions
?? ummm Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Sun? Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowheads? Toofy Grin
latest report
@geepee, little bit early in the season for Snowheads to be sighted in Arabba. snowHead Watch someone pop and say they are there now. Blush
snow conditions
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
@geepee, little bit early in the season for Snowheads to be sighted in Arabba. snowHead Watch someone pop and say they are there now. Blush

I'm there now!!
latest report
Ok I confess, I'm only there in mind Happy
snow report
I bet the apres bars on on the portavescovo side aren't too thrilled about this.
snow report
@red 27, Indeed. That was my thought too. On the other hand Arraba must see it as a plus to attract people to stay in the resort for the convenience of going both ways easily. Oh err missus. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy