Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My first transceiver...

Poster: A snowHead
I have done a fair amount of off-piste skiing and have been fortunate enough to borrow kits from colleagues or friends, but am thinking this season I should really have my own kit.

Is Ortovox's 'Zoom+' set a good option? It seems good value with shovel, transceiver and probe coming in at around £200.

It is the Zoom transceiver with a 'Badger' shovel and Economy probe.

Has anyone used this set up?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gossmikey, I own 4 x zoom+ and they were recommended to me as a good starting point for these. They are so simple that my kids can operate them and they cope with things like multiple burials etc. I don't know a whole lot about these things, but on the back of my own experience I would imagine it will quite sufficient for you. I was advised to get a metal shovel rather than a plastic one, but can't advise beyond that. A good place to start is a shop run by a SH - Snow Shepherd http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/ if you contact him you will get good advice on a complete package deal to suit your needs.

NB. Everyone will now tell me that I didn't need all this kit, but it is peace of mind when the kids go and play in the trees.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A couple of links to reviews of transceivers, lot of info in the offpiste section of snowheads.
I haven't used the zoom+

http://alloffpiste.com/skiing/avalanche-transceiver-avalanche-beacon-test-2013-franz-t-uiagm-guide/

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/

The bottom line is they are all the same for you being found, it's when looking for others that the differences show. Whichever one you go with practice is the key.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would there be any downside to picking the transceiver up second hand?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob,
Quote:

The bottom line is they are all the same for you being found

Puzzled the plus system from Ortovox means that they transmit on the best antenna which can means that people can pick you up earlier or at a great distance if your buried at an odd angle, its also true that some transceivers are more sensitive in the first stage of search therefore seeing you the buried party at a greater distance.

Megamum, Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gossmikey, there have been significant improvements in technology in recent years with most units now triple aerials. I suspect quite a few people will be up grading and maybe flogging off their old units. The question you really need to ask is how long can you hold your breath?
It's not really something you want to economise on.

Livetoski, I agree re the ortovox + but I thought it was the only one with any difference.

Megamum, on the contrary, I've seen lots of kids with crap gear while the parents were sporting the best. It's a good call, to get them used to the equipment.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gossmikey wrote:
Would there be any downside to picking the transceiver up second hand?

Assuming you're getting a nice 3-antenna digital transceiver... probably not. If you're not getting one of those you're making life unnecessarily difficult for yourself (and on behalf of the people you will ski with, let me suggest you don't do that).

Apparently older analogue transceivers can drift off the standard frequency, given enough time, making them substantially less effective. I don't know the mechanism that causes that, so I've no idea if it might affect digital transceivers. Something to bear in mind, anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The kids were starting to want to play off the edge of the piste and through the trees (with the hazards of tree wells etc.). I don't want/can't follow them, but if they say can we ski through these trees and we'll meet you round the corner etc. they are good enough little skiers to be able to do so, and it's good experience for them to do the skiing. My concern was if they didn't reappear how the hell do I find them? They were also going off the edge of the piste with instructors and, although transceivers were never requested and I guess you trust the instructors to know where it is safe, I had still read enough to think that off-piste IS off-piste and the danger of a slide is inherently higher. So I started to consider transceivers for them.

At the time I was in a position to afford the kit (which let's face it will hold a resale value if it's looked after well) so I sprung for the Zoom+ systems for them. I was advised to also get a shovel well have decent kit to last them. In the finish I also got another shovel and probe so that should they ever have a day off-piste I can send them both with the correct kit. I also thought that if they get used to carrying and using the kit perhaps before they really need it then it wouldn't seem like doing anything different when they do need it - a bit like todays kids don't think twice about putting on a seatbelt, whereas my parents still need to be occasionally reminded.

FWIW I've been very impressed with the zooms+. livetoski, had shown them to us several years back at a ski show and the kids had shown great interest. They are small, light, dead easy and probe which I carry seeing as I would be the one going after them. I reasoned that they are just starting their skiing lifetimes, and will probably end up off-piste in due course so they might as well have something that would last a good while. They are dead easy to use, have more features than the Pieps freeride for not a significantly higher costs IMO, and FWIW are asthetically fairly smooth tactile and smart looking units - which added to receptiveness of asking the kids to wear them (though they would have worn anything I asked them to), but they looked 'the business' which did no harm IMO.

In fact if the OP is just buying his first transceiver unit I will post again my two favourite links that gave me a lot of info about them http://www.mammut.ch/barryvoxtraining
and http://www.fsavalanche.org/encyclopedia/avalanche_transceiver.htm When I first considered getting them I realised that they were no good if I knew nothing about them and since then I have done lots of reading around the whole subject. What I want to do is do a proper 'finding session' when SH next do one in London - though with 4 units we do usefully practice at home Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

http://www.mammut.ch/barryvoxtraining

Megamum- this little gem is fantastic. Thanks for the info
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gossmikey, it's brilliant isn't it - have you tried the online exercise?

The other link is good for explaining why the initial search pattern leads you in a circle.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just upgraded my old tracker to the Mammut Barryvox Element, a fantastic beep but at a really good price from a Dutch online store. But all of the recent releases are pretty damn good, it's just practicing at searching, multiples, probing and digging that people tend to fail at.

Lots of info on this site too

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93697
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, We need to get you lot up to Zauch on a good powder day Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got two zoom+ - we like them too. Megamum - between us we've got enough to host our own practice event Smile I'll resurrect my thread from last year - see if there are any takers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, I'd probably drown!! Laughing Seriously I don't have the skills yet and it always sounds rather dangerous.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Zauch is very safe and friendly, you can ski short sections of forest and then come back to the piste. There is a lot of good off piste very close to the main routes with extremely low avi risk.
ski holidays
Scarpa, Maybe a day out with the Minimums beckons!
latest report
I will hopefully be getting my first transceiver this year. I have looked at reviews, I am also not wanting to be spending too much on one. I have decided that my first choice is the Arva Neo. It's not the cheapest - but far from the most expensive. For it's price, it is viewed as one of the best all round transceivers you can get for the money. That would be my recommendation, hopefully I can get one soon! gossmikey,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy