Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets - Long weekend break questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker!

I'm taking the wife for a long weekend break to Les Gets this Feb. We've never been before and I'm interested in tips of good places to eat on the mountain and in resort. Also cool things to do apres ski-wise. Would be nice to do something interesting one evening rather than just eat/drink (not that there is anything wrong with that of course!) Always fancied the snow-cross car racing... wink

As we'll only be there for 3 days on snow I'm thinking we'll just go with the Morzine/Les Gets pass. I'm a very experienced boarder who is just learning to ski (three days and happy enough on reds) and she's a solid skier. I doubt she'll get bored with the terrain on offer if the conditions are good, and I'm happy to move to ski's for a day and mix it up. I see there is a reduced weekend lift pass, but cant see a way to order that online and add the extra day... saves a few Euros over the standard 3 seperate days. Anyone know if this is possible?

Main reason for chosing Les Gets is the short transfer time and the fact as our kids are getting to the age we can take them with us in the next year or so, it seems a great place for kids to learn. Interested to hear folks thoughts on the resort in that regard as well.

Thanks for any tips!

M
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
munter, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Don't forget French school hols last 3 weeks in Feb and first in March - you are unlikely to get long weekend accommodation in February and the slopes will be very busy. Yes, great place for kids - but preferably not in school hols. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam - school holidays not an issue for 2015, if we did go with the kids next year it would be March/early April on a late deal. We will certainly be attempting our first family ski trip in 2016 though! I've heard Les Gets is a really great resort for kids, but I'm open to other options. To be fair, everywhere I've visited would be amazing for them. Just wish I'd had the same opportunity when I was their age! Would certainly be a better boarder/skier now wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're an experienced skier/boarder, be sure to spend a day on the Mont Chery side of Les Gets. It's mostly pretty quiet and has the best runs in resort (IMHO). Also probably the best on-slope restaurant in La Grande Ourse. Over in the main LG area I've not found an amazing place for lunch (might have been unlucky), but used to love Chez Nannon over in the Nyon sector. For both these places, if it's half term, you'll need to book. In the evening there's, umm, ice skating...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awesome tips Michael, many thanks. I do love a bit of ice skating wink

Will be sure to head over the Mont Chery. Thankfully we'll be there before the half term rush so fingers crossed there shouldnt be too many problems getting fed!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
munter, i would make a decision about which pass when you get there depending on snow conditions. Sounds that you will not be doing too many miles though so the local pass should be fine. Once the French school holidays start in the 2nd week of Feb it will get pretty busy, so try and go before then
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like a plan Chris! There doesn't seem to be any discount for buying that kind of ticket online so as you say an early morning trip to the ticket office is possibly the best bet.

We're heading across on the 5th Feb 2015 so first day on snow will be Friday 6th. I notice that the French holidays (Zone A) start on the saturday, so whilst the friday should be quiet I guess it will get a bit busier on the weekend? I've heard Zone C (Paris) is the one to avoid at all costs so fingers crossed it won't be too bad!

Thanks again
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
munter, the saturday should be quieter as that will be most people's travel day. Les Gets is a lovely village and we have stayed there a couple of times. Hope you have a great trip
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munter, Les Gets is a lovely village, more than enough terrain for a weekend. Great for kids also. Grande Ourse is very nice. I think they open one evening in the week, and transport the customers up there on a pistebasher for dinner, sure they did last winter anyway - http://www.lagrandeourse.eu/. Skiing in Mont Chery is fantastic and very quiet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
munter, I know you haven't asked about accommodation, but just to recommend the Hotel Christiania for short breaks. My husband and I have stayed there twice and the staff there made it all very smooth. We had airport transfers with them, and they organised lift passes ready for collection when we got there. Afraid I can't remember the names of the places we've stopped for lunch though, sorry!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You will enjoy Les Gets and the local pass will be ideal unless you are a real mileage freak. However, on my last 3 day break we covered Avoriaz, Les Gets, Morzine, Chatel and dropped into Switzerland. It was our second visit so we knew the slopes, routes etc. so we got the PDS pass. Accommodation in the town centre for a weekend may be limited but you will find plenty on the outskirts and most will drive you to the lifts etc. My kids loved Les Gets (you can find my review on this forum). Ice skating, snow train around town, sledge areas at foot of slopes and at top of the bubble left. Kids can go up the bubbles on either side of the valley and will love it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy