Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2014/2015: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, looking for some advice.

If it wasn't possible to ski back to some of the lower resorts like La Tania due to snow conditions, would the lift still be running from their opening day (13th Dec) so that you can get lift up to the skiable pistes and back down again by lift.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, im considering this week in the three valleys but would rather stay low and ski high if that makes sense.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lift will be running on open day, unless it's broke I'd imagine.

Snow cannons should ensure the blue (folyeres) is open

Unless it's really warm... in which case all the snow will be gone and everyone will be wearing shorts Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How easy is it to get to VT from La Tania if the snow situation is really bad ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm sure the LT gondola will be running (need to get skiers up!) - this goes about halfway up, so can be caught back down as well. Shouldn't have any problems at this level.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mick8417 wrote:
How easy is it to get to VT from La Tania if the snow situation is really bad ?

If there is no chairlift connection to the connecting areas, and there often isn't until christmas week, then road is the only option. Which is bus/taxi down to moutiers and then then up again.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Are links to Meribel and Coiurchevel normally open
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Please someone correct me if this isn't aslways the case - but in my experience - however I tend to go there first week December - they gradually start extending the pistes that are open through december and they often aren't open between VT and the other valleys until Xmas week.

Realistically the place is pretty wonderfully empty before Xmas and they are all gearing up for a completely full house in Xmas week. The contrast between the 2 weeks before xmas and xmas itself is pretty staggering and the saturday changeover is pretty entertaining.

I think they like to give the impression that absolutely everything is open from day 1 but if you go there in November there is a limited amount of pistes that are open.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went for a little wander today - had bigger and steeper plans originally, but work and family got in the way...

A reasonable base above 1850, though happy for fat skis and light feet... More needed before serious piste preparation can begin though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^ Looks very pretty though!!

I've been a few times in the week before Christmas and all the main links to the other valleys are open. Not all the pistes are open though - Jerusalem always seems to be saved for Christmas week Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@offpisteskiing, nice photo - cant quite make out the brand of your skis Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chrisb, I'll try harder next time Happy

A quick (but decidedly DIY and cobbled together) video from today here:
Courchevel Snow Report 18 Nov 14 from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/112200213
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ooh look - it embeds all by itself!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great vid! Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courchevel are going to open Verdons and Saulire for free this Saturday (22nd Nov), so they must be happy that there is enough snow to open those runs. They did the same last year.

Will wait for @offpisteskiing, to do a vid for us?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chrisb, i would do... But I'll be in Kendal all weekend...
snow report
chrisb wrote:
Courchevel are going to open Verdons and Saulire for free this Saturday (22nd Nov), so they must be happy that there is enough snow to open those runs. They did the same last year.

Will wait for @offpisteskiing, to do a vid for us?

I might go, but it was a bit of a bunfight last year. They made all skiers queue for a free lift pass for the day, rather than just opening up the turnstiles, resulting in huge queues.

Val Thorens also opens this weekend
snow report
@offpisteskiing, well we could have a Lake District video instead..
ski holidays
Opening day at Val Thorens, and a few free lifts in Courchevel. Anyone out there for opening weekend? (@Patch, did you join the bunfight?)
latest report
VT looking busy on the first morning:-

Only 4 weeks to go........ Very Happy
ski holidays
@collym125, 5 weeks for me. Hoping the longer range forecast of the colder weather coming in at start of Dec happens
latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:
Opening day at Val Thorens, and a few free lifts in Courchevel. Anyone out there for opening weekend? (@Patch, did you join the bunfight?)

Yes, skied at Courchevel today, and seems they learnt some lessons last year. No pass needed, barriers were free to pass on the two open lifts Verdons and Saulire. Snow was resonable for the time of year, especially on the upper sections, and it was a beautiful sunny day (although the sun had set behind the Saulire by early afternoon). Lots of locals skiing, but no queuing required. In summary, good early season skiing, but significantly more required before full opening in two weeks
ski holidays
@Patch, sounds good Smile glad they learned the lessons from last year. Making people queue up for a free pass seems like a crazy idea! Looks like the whole of the 3V should get a top up next weekend as the temperatures start to drop again.
snow report
@Patch, Your on-the-spot conditions reports from the 3V are always very much appreciated - thank you. Smile
snow report
red 27 wrote:
@Patch, Your on-the-spot conditions reports from the 3V are always very much appreciated - thank you. Smile

+1
snow conditions
Nice little video on the Val Thorens opening yesterday to get the enthusiasm up.

http://www.valthorens.com/hiver-fr/val-thorens/evenements-et-activites/evenements/details/ski-force-winter-tour.372.e8.html#video
snow report
Damn I wish I'd known it was open this weekend, I think we'll be going next!
ski holidays
I have 2 adult VT ski passes that are going spare for next Thur(4th) and Fri. Would have to meet me on wed 3rd some point after skiing to pick them up. If anyone is around and can make use of them let me know. Very Happy
latest report
If I can get the time off work I'll bite your hand off for those..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Watch the video that @emwmarine put up with english subtitles. Interesting translation, especially the bit about the skiers awaiting a blowing pleasure?!
latest report
I got back last night from a weekend in Val Thorens - 16 of us from Geneva headed up. I was far too exhausted last night to post here though!

Absolutely brilliant weekend, though very very busy. It seems no one had expected the turnout this year, and there were queues all over the place, and a lot of very stressed staff.

Area - I'd say less than a third was actually open, but what was open was in good nick. Orelle was closed on Sunday - but I heard at least one run was open Saturday. Plein Sud sector closed all weekend, and most open lifts only had half the runs off them open.

Snow - great snow all round on Saturday on the pistes - good coverage, well groomed, nice and grippy. The black cascades run hadn't been marked yet, but was being used by lots of people, and by lunchtime was cut into really nice big soft moguls, and was a real pleasure. Got some brilliant off-piste and amazing snow in spots, though you needed to keep a very sharp eye out for rocks - still thin coverage.
Sunday was not so good - the sun from the day before and the cold overnight meant off-piste was scratchy and generally pointless. But the pistes were again well groomed, smooth and fast. Nice grippy snow on most, though stones had started coming through on lower ones.

Other - a lot of people were being taken off the mountain on skidoos and sledges on the Saturday, more than I've ever seen before on any one day! And the ski test people stopped giving out the fatter skis on Saturday afternoon as they were coming back in such bad shape from people taking them offpiste and over the rocks. There were a lot of announcements to please not go offpiste, and a warning on the Sunday over the tannoys that someone had complelely spilt their leg open on a rock off-piste on Saturday.
A few queues for lifts, but if you knew where you were going it was easy to find lots of space on the pistes themselves.

Great weekend overall, we had a ball Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 24-11-14 9:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Looks and sounds amazing. I am hoping for some more snow by Xmas when we are out.

Not good to hear about people getting injured already! But I do question whether some people put themselves in situations above their level.
snow report
@fixx, rocks and sketchy off piste in November with thin cover, who'd have thought it eh!!

Sounds like you had a good weekend though.
snow conditions
@chrisrawles, yep, I think some people were pushing too hard, and forgetting they were likely out of practice. Also, a lot of people were out on the test skis, so starting off immediately on unfamiliar, and possibly very different, equipment to what they were used to. I was surprised how much my legs were hurting yesterday lunchtime - after a day and half of skiing! I was used to doing a lot more by the end of last season. I had to take it easy to start with too, as I badly damaged my knee in Val Thorens in April, and couldn't ski any more. This was my first time back on skis, so was very gentle to start with.

@kitenski, brilliant weekend - there were a few hitches because of the sheer numbers of people, but swooping down quiet slopes on Saturday in the sun was a delight! Just brilliant to be back on skis, and we had a really great group up with us.

And yeah, who'd have thought the snow might be thin Wink TBH i was surprised how good a job the resort had done in getting it ready. Ok a lot wasn't open, but what was open was more than enough for 2 days, and in very good shape. I wasn't expecting to get any offpiste, so getting (quite) a few turns in on some really great snow as well was a huge bonus!
snow report
@fixx, Thanks for reporting. Sounds great!
ski holidays
VT is looking a little thin on the cams today. Lets hope for more snow soon!
snow report
If it doesn't snow between now and Dec 14th I might worry. But I think it will.
snow report
It will be fine, all it needs it another storm to come through and that will sort it
latest report
ITS STILL ONLY NOVEMBER!!
latest report
Exactly. All the usual 'OMG should I be worried?' 'Can I get money back on my lift pass/ski hire/beers if there's no snow?' threads are popping up everywhere. LOL.
latest report
@HoneyBunny, @kitenski, Yes but it is 25th Nov, which is one more day than 24th Nov, and the panic sets in Toofy Grin
Of course before the internet we just worried as we sat in the transfer coach going up the mountain. Now we have these damned webcams Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy