Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2014/2015: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
I read somewhere that there might have been a bit of snow across the 3V yesterday and just wondered if anyone can confirm if that actually happened.

I know it's still a bit far out but a fairly big dump is forecast for next Sat Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Around 20cm at the top, but raining in Méribel.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chrisb, thanks for taking the time to reply. Fingers crossed for some more snow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Corduroy, Those folk in our chalet that wanted to use the green refused to do so by the end of the week. Though the bottom nursery run was still deemed usable. All but confident skiers and boarders who wanted to use anything other than the baby lift were taking the bus or driving round to Courchevel. Areas of high traffic in Courchevel were also showing signs of wear when we skied there Friday. More snow definitely required!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm hoping the storm (albeit a small one) forecast brings some snow this week as i'm heading to VT this weekend but would love to be able to ski over the whole area!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@puplett, no problem
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heading to VT this weekend, just wondering that the temperatures have been like of late so I can pack clothes accordingly... I'm one who hates being too warm!!

I've been keeping up to date with the snow reports - how easy/doable is it to ski across the entire 3 valleys at the moment? I've stayed in courchevel before and skiied to VT and back, so I am capable but just wondering if it's doable with the lack of snow or is it not worth it and should I get just a VT pass?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pretty good conditions across the 3 Valleys currently as long as you avoid the very lowest bits...
Not surprisingly much calmer this week now the New Year crowds have gone home! Val Thorens pistes in very good nick generally, some soft snow to be had off piste, and some 'interesting' conditions to be had with a bit of a walk (see here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115639#2646476).

Mottaret also good - bit rocky at the top of Lac de la Chambre this afternoon (but not really that out of the ordinary!), and definitely very firm the closer you got to Mottaret. Courchevel was in good condition last week (but scratchy getting down to Le Praz) - Combe de la Saulire in surprisingly good (unrocky) state considering snow depths and traffic.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@offpisteskiing, Thanks fo rthe update - off there next Friday so it's good to hear there's still plenty of decent snow Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good to here .... all looking a bit gloomy .... but better than home for sure !
I'm out this weekend for a long week till Sunday 18th .... happy to meet up with others for a mini bash ....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mini snowhead bash? I love this club more every day snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arriving into La Tania (hopefully) early afternoon tomorrow. Been avidly reading this thread and others, generally seems as though things could be better but also could be considerably worse, so I'll take that and look forward to it. Enjoy everyone
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers, @Patch

@reded78, keep us posted on conditions Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surprised to read on BMTV guide des stations yesterday that conditions in Meribel are considered 'excellent' - no-one here would agree with
that! Also the fiction that it last snowed Jan 7th at 4h - maybe one flake fell on the weather station - definitely no snow fell that you'd notice!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi @shawaszk,
Just what I thought from the snow reports - ARGH - wait all year and then this Mad
Think you've confirmed my surfing holiday in Lanzarote idea!
Shame there's some fab bargains to be had too.
snow report
Definitely warmer today - and forecast to be getting milder still over the weekend Sad
ski holidays
Courchevel 1650 almost deserted when I went up the lifts this morning (despite what the local press might say about it being busy with Russians...).

Some soft snow to be found with a bit of effort and a bit of care and attention:

Sunny aspects actually had some nice snow which seems to have miraculously escaped crusting over (yet).

Went for a wander up Petit Mont Blanc - 1 or 2 small groups out and about but pretty quiet out the back even.

Again good soft snow to be found if you play your cards right, but care needed to stay off steeper wind-loaded aspects...

Mrs offpisteskiing reported good conditions on the pistes around 1850 this morning, although linking runs (Bd Loze etc) quite scratchy.

Some precipitation due this weekend - for the pessimists above conditions are certainly not 'excellent', but its far from cr@p, particularly now we are into the so-called 'quiet' weeks.
ski holidays
Skiing was certainly good above 1650 this week.
Today at the Saulire I saw two groups led by instructors with jackets emblazoned with 'ESF La Clusaz'.
Clearly peeps going where the snow is!
snow report
Val Thorens snow report...

http://youtube.com/v/AvQuZZYjH4I
ski holidays
And an unofficial snow report from yesterday...:
Petit Mont Blanc - 8 Jan 2015 from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/116285141

(and yes I am not a fan of POV-only videos but on a solo-mission there isn't much choice...)
snow report
Some promising forecasts for the coming week - potential snow on Sunday (7cm in VT, 3cm across Couchevel and Meribel), a bit more Tues\Wed (14cm in VT, 7cm in Meribel and Courchevel), and then potentially a decent dump on Thurs 15th with 33cm forecast in VT, and 22cm in Meribel and Courchevel.

Early days but hopefully that bodes well... Smile
snow conditions
Lovely first day here - really warm - drizzle at 3000m but brightenened up by lunchtime and fab sunny this afternoon
Pistes better than expected .... Esp those with cannons
Off piste way too rocky in most areas
Really good day.
ski holidays
@PBJ, That's encouraging - which resort are you staying in? snowHead
snow report
Having just returned from La Tania, and skiing mainly in Courchevel 1850 i can say that the conditions aren't great.
There is plenty of skiing to be had but the area is desperate for fresh snow. There are still many closed pistes and many the should be closed. The pistes that are open are ok for those that can handle themselves but are very icy in places that will no doubt unseat a beginner.
when we left yesterday it was melting fast at 1400m and raining a little. The only run into La Tania that was open was the main blue.
ski holidays
snowing heavily this morning but perhaps not for very long.

Hopefully enough to freshen up the pistes

An exciting first morning for those who arrived yesterday Shocked

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 11-01-15 10:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Extraordinarily quiet in Méribel yesterday. Very overcast in the first part of the morning, with fine fine, soaking mist, even at the top of the Saulire. This cleared late morning, with the sun appearing, making for fairly good conditions. Snow on piste is quite wet and heavy. Many pistes are closed due to lack of snow, and there are many bare patches on those that are open. However, a very good morning's skiing, including a couple of great runs down Combe Tougnette.

This morning we woke up to heavy rain and high winds. I hear the snow line is above 1800m ... I may go and look later, or I may stay in bed
ski holidays
@PBJ, @Corduroy, clearly it is down to you individual perspective..

Looks like it is dumping in LM at the moment.
ski holidays
Arrived back yesterday from a week in the 3V. My view same as @Corduroy, - managed to find enough skiing but as I know the area well, by tactically choosing pistes and times of day they would be skiable - by lunchtime everywhere had icy patches. Planning to go back next month, but will leave to the last minute to check the snow conditions.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Feast, hey we had a good time though! I forgot to mention that.
snow conditions
@Corduroy, awesome, glad to hear it.
latest report
Hello everyone.
Arrived yesterday to an unusually warm St Martin de Belleville.
Got up this morning to watch heavy rain falling from the sky which slowly turned into a snow storm higher up.
So what I thought to be a very bad day turned out to be rather good to very good skiing from St M de B to la Masse via les Ménuires.
Lots of fresh snow covering an icy base. But most of the runs are very nice to ski on.
As I type these few lines, the temperature seems to have dropped enough that all the snow canons are in full swing.
Let's hope for some more new snow tomorrow or soon
snow report
Lots of snow in VT (perhaps 10cm) this morning followed by sun with a few clouds! Very nice conditions, although occasional poor visibility but plenty of skiing was done!
ski holidays
@Snowpie, @lgkersh, Thanks for the updates guys - sounds like things are pretty decent at altitude in the 3V
latest report
@Snowpie, @lgkersh, thanks guys. Was starting to get a tad twitchy but you've settled me down.
snow report
If I can work out how to upload photos I shall upload some photos of fresh powder!
latest report
So about 10cm Max at top in 3v - lots of wind transport so it felt deeper in places but pretty scratchy still on exposed areas.
Heavy rain in meribel in morning - snow from about 1800m.
Some links from vt and LM to meribel shut due to wind.
Got a bit of sun lunchtime onwards and much colder.
Good freeze tonight - all the cannons running.
My mate snapped his clavicle ligaments this morning - ouch - skied down to mottaret medical for xray strapsling painkillers and antiinflammatories ..... And E500 later skied for the rest of the day !!!
Sun tomorrow - off to vt to find the safe deep windblown stuff !!!
ski holidays
@red 27, we are in meribel - where are you ?
We in jacks bar from 5 each night
Let me know if you wanna ski or beer.... Or anyone else out here too !!!!
ski holidays
Checking in from Val Thorens after our first day - this is the 8th consecutive year I have been here. Happy to be back! A new layer of snow made the blue slopes very smooth, reds varying from fresh snow to icy/patches depending on where you go. Most blacks were closed today (expected to open tomorrow), and many rocks are showing on popular off piste tracks. Temperatures around the freezing level with a cool wind are quite pleasant. Visibility varies, but is generally good.

Overall, we had a very good day. Snow cover isnt great but factor in the low season and temperatures/wind, there's not much reason to complain. I even got a set of brand new skis for rent (salomon xdrive 80), cause my own skis did not fit in the car. Profit.
Regards from VT! Very Happy
ski holidays
We got back Saturday evening from a week in La Tania.

There is definitly plenty of decent piste skiing to be had higher up, but the rain overnight on Friday caused a lot of damage. The Lac Bleu run down from Col de la Loze was virtually non existent towards the bottom.

In general, there is a lot of ice on the pistes and skiing isn't that easy. There are also a lot of stones and vegetation coming through in places.

VT was good but busy.

We mostly skied off Saulire and then high up in 1650 from the top of Chanrossa.

If the temperatures have fallen and there's been some snow then you should be able to find some decent slopes.

The worst conditions I've seen though in the 10 years I've been skiing.[/img]
snow report
@PBJ, Not coming out til Friday and then will be over the hill in Les Menuires

Hoping we're going to get some colder temps and perhaps a top up on the Thursday Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy