Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Years eve in chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Have just booked 5 nights in chamonix over new year , only visited les houches for a weekend many years ago , and would like to know what to expect ski and après wise over the holiday period , and where would a great place to see in the new year ,
Cheers in advance [/url]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tricky one.
You have the choice of either a long expensive dinner in one of the fancy restaurants, or the mayhem in the square.
Ski wise it's one of the busiest weeks of the year, the exception being the first when it will be quiet in the morning. Most people warm up at Le Tour, then do Brevent/Flegere, finally Grand Montets.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers , not really up for long drawn out dinners , will see about joining the mayhem
Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What jbob said.

What kind of thing are you looking for? There is a huge amount going on, and you'll see a lot advertised in resort when you get there too, and probably a few people wandering the streets trying to sell tickets.

Also, when do you arrive? If it's a couple of days before you can explore a few areas and maybe find a few bars you like and just stick with those for NY eve.

My lot didn't ski much last year, but that was because the snow was rather poor, and we were in the fortunate position of being there every weekend to ski anyway. The few times we did venture out it was pretty busy, but if you get out early, and are prepared to move around you can avoid the worst of the queues. If you've got a car and can pop over to Courmayeur for a day too that would be an advantage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fixx, we are there from 28th dec to 2nd jan , staying in center of chamonix, will have a car for the duration , I am looking for somewhere for dinner on New Years eve that's not fine dinning but is good local cuisine , then a bar with music to spend the night in rather than schlepping around , re skiing , will be getting up,early and skiing till lunch then spending some time with other half who doesn't ski , so will use the car to its best advantage , and a trip to courmayor would be great
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
we have spent anumher of new years eves in Chamonix, the square is absolute mayhem!!

There is a restaurant just by the cinema, pizza, local french cuising, thatntype of thing which is really good fun, great atmosphere but unstuffy and unhurried, although the service does get a little more relaxed as the evening wears on the staff enjoy a few festive tipples.

Sorry I cant remember the name!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

we have spent anumher of new years eves in Chamonix, the square is absolute mayhem!!

Agreed! We avoided it last year as a couple of our group were a little worried about fireworks in the crowd (which we were subject to in Verbier the year before). Good atmosphere though if you want a big crowd/party - and if you're happy with the bunfight to get in anywhere after.

NY Eve dinner, and somewhere central - You could try the Gustavia Hotel restaurant. The food in their Brasserie (Chambre 9) is very good value for money, but I think that will be manic parties all evening Smile Restuarant shoudl be quieter. Don't know if they will have a 'special' menu for NY Eve though.
Moo bar is good for food and a party in the same bar - get there early for food and then grab a table at the bar before the crowds arrive and you might be ok. The menu is pretty limited though, just (excellent!) burgers.

Brasserie de L'M is a good spot for food and a bit of a party, and very close to the square - one of the best meals I had last year was there. They haven't got anything up yet for New Year, so you might get lucky and just get the normal menu rather than anything inflated - worth asking!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

re skiing , will be getting up,early and skiing till lunch then spending some time with other half who doesn't ski , so will use the car to its best advantage , and a trip to courmayor would be great

Re. skiing, that sounds like a very good plan. You'll get much better lunch options too if you head off the mountain - anywhere decent in Chamonix on mountain will be packed (though Les Houches has some nice little places if you get in early...)

And a day in Courmayeur with Italian on mountain food and coffees/cakes is fantastic. I really need to get there more this year...!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dabber, See if you can get a table here, best pizzas in the Alps IMO (traditional clay oven etc) great salads too, and not mad expensive............watch the chilli oil though its lethal! Cool

http://www.casavalerio.net/

Also a big up for the Canadian micro brewery, forget the name but the beer's awesome.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oooh, that Italian place looks great Markymark29! Added to my list to try over the winter.

Micro-brewery - do you mean MBC? http://www.mbchx.com/eng%20mbc%20home.htm Great place - one of my favourites for brunch.

Dabber, if you want a nice meal out some evening other than NY Eve, try Le Cap Horn (http://www.caphorn-chamonix.com/en). Their 39Eur 3-course menu is excellent value for money (I go there several times over the winter), and the food and service are really very good. Their prices on NY Eve are astronomical however! (And the cellar bar is always great for a drink)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Slightly off topic, one of, if not, the best mountain restaurant in the Alps/world is in Courmayeur.
http://www.chiecco.com
You need to book.
Last time my daughter was in there, so was Heston Blumental!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yebbut last time but one I was in the cafe at Hemel so was Heston Blumental .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That Heston gets about doesn't he? Last time I was in the BA lounge in Geneva, so was he..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Once saw his brother Charlton in a cowboy movie...........he wasnt eating a pizza,catching a plane or wearing daft glasses though Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes, My second best ever spot was in the rubbish cafe at the top of the verbier system, it was Fergie, and the two princesses. She did look a bit rough that day, unlike the princesses.

Your turn.
snow conditions
Casa Valeria used to go once a week. Then some years ago the owners decided to increase food prices by a healthy margin (not unreasonable given how in demand it was) and double wine and beer prices. And dilute quality.

Have been back twice in 4 years.

It may have got better again.

Moo does excellent burgers.

Le Cap Horn's €19 lunch menu is even better vfm.

Chambre 9 leaves me entirely cold.

L'M I find rather overpriced.

La Flambee is rather good, with enormous portions.

mr ted is, I think, referring to the Bartavel. Haven't been there for NY eve, but eat there regularly and have had a lovely NY day lunch there.

Also on our list is Boccalatte.

Favourite restaurant is possibly La Cabane by the golf course, but probably not ideal for New Year's unless the weather's pants on NY day.

Probably good partying to be had at the Jekyll (Brit run).

I wrote more but a combination of airport wifi limits, the current state of defence bloking auto login and ipad incompetence lost it.
latest report
Thanks to all , some great ideas , brasserie l'm looks good , will defo get something booked from these , first New Years eve in the Alps so want to make it special !!
Canadian micro brewery sounds just the ticket for me , home from home Happy
Cheers snowHead
latest report
Dabber, the chicken burger(s) (ther are a variety of versions) at the MBC are particularly good.

Must say, L'M is not on our list of places to eat. And their "tapas" bar isn't. A tapas bar.
ski holidays
under a new name, I was very suspicious of L'M for ages, but was very pleasantly surprised when we finally ate there. Had a rather fantastic salmon fillet, and everyone else's meal in the group was also judged to be excellent.

La Cabane - that is indeed very good, I need to get out there again. Never made it to Cap Horn for lunch, didn't even know they did one, but that is a great price. Next day skiing is snowed off (or we're too hungover to ski!) I'll definitely check it out.

And yes, the Jekyll is brilliant, but shush! Don't want too many people heading there and taking up all the space Wink
latest report
fixx, may need to give L'M another go then snowHead
latest report
jbob, definitely agreed that Jan 1st is quiet - even on a bluebird day - definitely worth getting up early for.
latest report
Quote:

definitely worth getting up early for

or if it's likely to be a bluebird day, going to bed early for? wink
snow report
any thoughts on "la pander des quatro season" ?? sound like it would fit the bill
ski holidays
Dabber, Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Is this where you mean? http://www.restaurant-panierdes4saisons.com/

I don't know it I'm afraid, haven't been there.
latest report
Ah, that makes a little more sense. We ate there once a good few years ago. We weren't over-impressed. Nothing special. Nothing wrong with it.

For trad Savoyarde food, La Caleche would probably win out.
latest report
under a new name, typing whilst wearing glasses over new contact lens 😳
snow report
fixx, cheers for the fix snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dabber, no worries snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy