Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salzburg Super Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about driving out to explore the wider Austrian area for 2 to 3 weeks over Xmas/New Year taking advantage of the very wide reaching pass. Anywhere make particularly good sense as a base? Don't particularly need to be in a resort, happy with basic private zimmer. Thinking Saalfelden looks fairly central to a lot of options or Zell Am See.

Obviously getting to places like Gerlos or Krippenstein might be a bit of a stretch for a day trip. Or should I plan on basing myself closer to the action in a few places and move on ( disadvantage lose a bit of weather discretion).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm there after Xmas again too, would be great to hook up for a blast. I base myself in Radstadt which is fairly central (Schladming etc, Altenmarkt, Zauchensee, Flachau and many other resorts are very close by). I've stayed in Zell for a week too, but it is a little out on the edge of the SS pass. I'd look at the map of resorts http://www.ski-austria.com/salzburg/skiing.php but note that the Sportwelt where I tend to hang out has a lot of resorts strung out along the valley.

Remember to buy your pass before the 4th Dec and save €72
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes, Scarpa, Already on sale, so buy them online and get then sent to you. That's what QB did last season I think.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, yes I did. They don't even charge extra for postage to the UK, fabulous.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes,
It'll take a good 40 mins to ski anywhere but the SkiCircus and The Gasteins.
If you really want to take advantage of the pass then come up a little way.
If you are also happy to travel then think about finding accommodation out of 'resort' villages.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes, Saalfelden places you well for the Hochkönig area as well as Zell am See, Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang and the Schneewinkel. You will probably get a room quite easily there and at a good price. But as flangesax says you will need at least another 40 minutes to get anywhere else in the system, more if it is a snow-rich year as the road over to Bischofshofen is often closed at either the Dientener-Sattel &/or the very narrow climb between Bischofshofen and Mülhbach. This means you have to go the long way around, either through Salzburg to the A10 or down to Zell and then back along the B311 Pongauer Landstrasse.

Try looking in St Johann in Pongau or Schwarzach, or some of the smaller villages around there to be more central if you want the chance to explore the whole region.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good advice thanks. I'd also identified Bischofhofen as a potential but passes are a consideration. Maybe I need to think in terms of 2 bases, West and East. Would like to ensure getting to hit Kitzbuhel for instance and check out Kripoenstein. Can probably live without some of the smaller family hills unless there's some epic off piste secrets.

40 mins drive doesn't feel too bad.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes,
Im in Kitz from the 4th Jan to the 10th so if you fancy a ski on any of them days, then just say. There are others on here that will probably make up a group. Definetly one of the best weeks of the year after everyone has gone home.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes, that's 40 minutes on good clear traffic days! Can be a lot longer if the weather works against you or there is a national holiday somewhere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes, if you head out to Krippenstein do consider hiring a guide if you are doing some gnarly off piste, it´s really not a place you´d want to go if you don´t know the terrain, lots and lots of very big drops and sinkholes all over the place.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well my opinion is that its is not possible to have a base for the whole SSSC avoiding almost 1 hour driving sometimes.
I think the best option is to have two bases.
I will do something like that in December - New Year

I think that you could find a base somewhere west, in order to visit Kitzsteinhorn, Zell, Saalbach and maybe the areas of Tirol which are in the card.
For the other resorts the best is somewhere near Radstadt. So you will be near all of the SkiAmade as well as Obertauern...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Based in Fieberbrunn and using the SSSC the furthest east starting point I have reached is Dorfgastein. Going west I did once drive to Zell am Ziller (Zillertal Arena) but that was really just to meet a friend (an early start allowed us to ski to Königsleiten and back). turms' summary is probably reasonable. However, between Kitzbühel and Mühlbach or Grossarl I find enough skiing to keep me happy for the whole season, so you don't really need to move unless you want to.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've skied 21 weeks over the last two seasons there and still have about 14 resorts to visit Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Exactly....i was looking also the SSSC but finally choosed the All Star Card...the price is the same but the ASC has only 10 resorts. And thats the reason i choosed this card
Maybe i stuck in a couple of them and finally improve my skiing abilities instead of trying to visit another resort every day
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy