Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk to me about skiing in Japan.

Poster: A snowHead
This is a tentative topic to see whats what so its a bit vague.

Basicaly I fancy learing to ski powder properly and Japan is on my hit list.

There will be three of us, Me, Mrs HD and little HD. I'm looking 2016 as it'll take a bit more planning than a last minute euro get away.

Things I do know:-

It's a long way
It's going to be expensive
We'll probably need a guide to get the best out of it
I'm going to try to get an extra week off school for the boy basing my excuse on it being a cultural holiday experience Toofy Grin
We will hire powder skis over there.

Things I don't know:-
Japanese
Where to go
Flight routes (but I've just registered our company shell fuel card with Avios)
Best time to go
Who to speak to over there
Costs

Assuming Tokyo is the main destination for the flight with a short transfer we might look at staying there a few nights one way.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some light reading to whet your appetite...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104830
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A few years ago I stayed on Hokkaido and but only skied three areas there. Of these the largest and, it seemed, the best set up for a bit of easily accessed off piste was Niseko.

Best because you dont really need a guide; the "back country" access is through gates and you'd have to try really hard to get lost from them, nearly everyone speks English too (even the Aussis) so that's another plus

However, if you're there for a couple of weeks you might as well hire a big 4x4 for transfers and to explore a few more areas.

However, for a bit of instruction and much more information you might want to get in touch with Mikepow who knows evrything there is to know Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
you don't need to know Japanese

Go to Hokkaido, use this company, they will sort flights, transfers and accom and also show you around for half a day http://www.japanskiexperience.com/

Best time is end of Jan/Feb I believe....

Costs on the website up above, add in lift pass, eating etc

You will need and know how to use avalanche beacon, shovel and probe.

Personally I'd advise learning some basic off piste technique before going to get the most out if it.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been 3 times and stayed in the black diamond lodge each time, been on their tours and used their guides a few times. as always been excellent.
I went in January each time and it dumped big time.
Flights - Edinburgh - Heathrow - Tokyo - Saporro. (this was with Virgin)
I've had the cheapest return for about £550.00 all in, most expensive was almost £900.00

Any questions give me a shout.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
homers double wrote:
This is a tentative topic to see whats what so its a bit vague.

Basicaly I fancy learing to ski powder properly and Japan is on my hit list.

Are you thinking of going to The Telgraph Ski And Snowboard Show in London (30 October - 02 November)?

If so, my better half Nerys and I will be there representing Kiroro Resort.

We'll be on the Japan stand with other resorts from Hokkaido and the main island of Honshu.

Stop by and have a chat.

Mike
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Mike,

Unfortunatly not I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shame.

Here's some info to look at

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2191252&highlight=niseko#2191252

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2568682&highlight=niseko#2568682

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1842073&highlight=hokkaido#1842073
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry for the bump, but what were this seasons prices for a 10 day trip to Japan?

When I went in 2011 costs were as follows for 8 nights accom in Niseko, inc Tokyo 1 night, flights and transfer

Price per person including Manchester flights: £1,735
Price per person without Manchester flights: £1,645

7 day lift pass £286

and I can't remember what I spend on food and drinks!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
sorry for the bump, but what were this seasons prices for a 10 day trip to Japan?

When I went in 2011 costs were as follows for 8 nights accom in Niseko, inc Tokyo 1 night, flights and transfer

Price per person including Manchester flights: £1,735
Price per person without Manchester flights: £1,645

7 day lift pass £286

and I can't remember what I spend on food and drinks!

I assume those flight prices were premium economy? Manchester to Tokyo flights start at around £400 return economy at the moment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sugarmoma666, nope, that was economy flights + accommodation + transfers as I said.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
それは高価です !

( まあ日本でスキーについて尋ねるでした !) Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
@sugarmoma666, nope, that was economy flights + accommodation + transfers as I said.
doh, should have read it more carefully Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I reckon compared to 2011, things should be a fair bit cheaper. On this side anyway. Food and liftpass etc which you'd be paying for in Yen will work out better for you if you're converting back to Pounds.

In 2011, the Pound bought about 130 Yen. Today, it is around 180. So a frosty glass of Sapporo Classic at 600円 has gone down from £4.60 to £3.30.

That said, if you're looking at returning to Niseko, prices generally have increased there. So that might make a slight dent in the savings from the Yen depreciating.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Likewise, it's possible to get far cheaper flights from the UK to Tokyo. Turkish Airlines have been doing some brilliant deals and I think they carry your skis for free.
I've not been skiing, but have been in Tokyo area a couple of times on business over the last few months and the current exchange rate makes things pretty good value.
latest report
I'm Anglo-Japanese and was born there in Japan and lived in Tokyo till I was nine years old. I used to ski in Kusatsu Ski resort in Gunnma Prefecture, which is near to Tokyo.It has great scenery, great food, and nice hot tub. snowHead

I made some new friends there who were French, couldn't speak a word of Japanese other than "Sushi" and "Ohayou gozaimasu" <--meaning Good morning. They spoke English so that's how they got along. Their son drew little stick men if no one understood them.

I think you will be all right. However I recommend going to Hokkaido as it has PERFECT snow for skiing. (Also not to mention the great scenery, great food, and nice hot tub they have.) They have English speakers there but with tinted Japanese accent, but you will understand them. Very Happy
snow conditions
albob wrote:
それは高価です !

( まあ日本でスキーについて尋ねるでした !) Smile

うわっ!日本語喋れる人がここにいたっ!ラッキー! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy