Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
la Pierre Saint-Martin, a small resort in the western French Pyrenees, are opening on Friday for free! 40% of the resort will be open, meaning a few kilometers - a freebie that's well worth a short trip.

On the other end of the scale, the situation at Grandvalira in Andorra just gets better and better. They've announced 180km for the coming weekend, with all sectors and links between them available for use. Apparently that puts it in second place in the whole of Europe for skiable kilometers! They really got lucky with their location, close enough to the centre of the Pyrenees to benefit from the snowfalls, but sufficiently sheltered to avoid having the high winds strip it all away afterwards.

(Those same winds brought some roads, trains and power to a standstill, and left three dead in the coastal regions of Catalonia.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The webcams are looking great today. Just booked to go soldeu/el tarter over New Year so hope it stays cold. Staying in Xalet Casale in El Tarter, anybody know if there is a free ski bus in between resorts please?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also staying in Xalet Casale over new year. There is a free ski bus that runs between resorts in Grand Valira as far as I remember until about 1am I think.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi debstu, welcome to sH! There are no free buses I believe, but the public buses run every 20 minutes (during the day) between Andorra la Vella and Soldeu (thus covering Encamp, Canillo, El Tarter and Soldeu) and somewhat less frequently continue onwards to Grau Roig and Pas de la Casa. The whole place is lift linked and easy to ski around though, so during the ski day the road transport shouldn't be necessary. Check out the L2 and L4 timetables at http://www.mobilitat.ad/ca/linies-regulars-nacionals
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crosspost with wishfulthinker! Hmm, interesting... I wasn't aware of any free bus. If anyone has further details of that bus, please do post them here!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty sure there is a bus and it's free if you have a ski pass. Not sure how frequent it is but seem to remember them being quite regular. The free bus is mentioned in TO resort info as well. I could be wrong though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the public bus is free when showing a ski pass, then I'm gutted Very Happy... I paid for it loads of times last season! Skullie
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, the season gets underway for real in the Pyrenees this weekend. Grandvalira's been blazing all week long of course, but now it's everyone else's turn to open up a decent amount of pistes. Baqueira will have all sectors open, two thirds of its pistes open, and the new Saumet zone available (and I'll not be at all envious of anyone who manages to try it out on Saturday morning, not at all.) All the N'Py resorts in the French Pyrenees will be open, as will all resorts in the Spanish Pyrenees (along with some of the smaller places elsewhere in Spain, and of course Sierra Nevada which won the crown this year).

It's not been the amazing start that the previous two seasons offered, but I admit to a small amount of Schadefreude reading all the threads about lack of snow in the Alps Toofy Grin (even if, as always, it's somewhat exaggerated, and that there's never really been a tradition of pre-Christmas skiing in the Alps anyway, glacier resorts excepted).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the information on the buses. Have you stayed in Xalet Casale before, it sounds lovely. We have never been to Andorra but heard glowing reports. Looking forward to it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have been to Andorra once before, in fact it was my first ever ski holiday. We didn't stay in the Xalet Casale but from the reviews it sounds ok. The holiday was a bit of a blur and it was a good few years ago too if I'm honest so don't remember too much about the area. I spent most of the first few days sat under a tree crying. That was out of frustration and fear though, nothing to do with the area or accommodation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had my first outing to Luz Ardiden today - it was the only one of the Western Pyrenees resorts that seemed to have a few reds open (9) according to all the websites. The Bederet section was completely closed but the majority of the Aulian sector was open. To be fair, they'd done a great job of getting the pistes open and the snow was great until later on when a few stones started appearing. There were a few people heading off piste but I doubt they were on their own skis as there were rocks showing everywhere!

I was on a lift with the piste moniteurs and they were saying they'd be trying to get as much open as possible for the Christmas holidays. Not sure of the snow forecast but there were snow clouds in the sky so a dump or two this week and it should hopefully be pretty good in the coming weeks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mark_ski_MTB wrote:
they'd done a great job of getting the pistes open and the snow was great until later on when a few stones started appearing. There were a few people heading off piste but I doubt they were on their own skis as there were rocks showing everywhere!
Same story here in Cerler, where they managed to get half their pistes open. Things are fine up top:

with even a bit of soft powder (as opposed to windrock) in places:

but the snowline is 1900m:

and so you have to be a bit creative to get to the base station!

Unfortunately, the forecasts are not looking good for this week; what little precipitation might fall will be accompanied by high temperatures. I think will have to wait for Christmas or beyond for some decent conditions (except for in Grandvalira and Baqueira, where they've got the majority of the resort open!).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The good conditions up top continue, with compacted powder making for some fun fast runs. But the temperatures keep on increasing, and so the spatterings of snowfall are increasingly turning to rainfall, even at higher altitude. Today the pistes had a little icy sheen to them. Still enjoyable though! This is 1500m:

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Superbagneres and Peyragudes are scheduled to open again on Saturday. Peyragudes are indicating that they should have 30 runs open though at the moment Superbagneres may be very limited due to the mild weather and rain that fell yesterday.

Baqueira has about 100 runs open and looks in very good shape considering the conditions.

The forecast for the next week is mainly dry but very mild. There are some indications of a change around the 25th/26th to cooler weather.

Fingers crossed

rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like I picked the right station. Off to Baqueira for 3 days tomorrow. Webcams look ok for the higher bits so that's ok. Been religiously checking this thread and the huge snow report thread multiple times a day for the past few weeks and praying. Been working in S.France for 3 months now and been counting down the days until a) there is snow and b) I have a spare weekend. Drove down with skis for 1 weekend it seems but totally worth it! New skis to christen so hopefully a good weekend ahead!

Will report back on conditions Sunday evening.
snow report
Here's hoping things get back on track in January....never thought I would be worried about an end of Jan/early Feb break but never mind....at least may be able to do a last minute switch of all 4 days to Grandvalira only rather than current plan of 2 days Grandvalira/2 days Pyrenees Orientales if the smaller resorts are still lagging significantly behind Grandvalira in snow cover

Unforunately am sure am not going to repeat the conditions of this time last year whereby there was over a metre of snow everywhere unless there is an enormous dump!
latest report
Rolly88, yeah I'd say you've hit the jackpot, given the current conditions in the Pyrenees (and in a large part of the Alps too, by the sound of it). And the Val d'Aran has plenty to offer apart from the ski resort in any case. Does 3 days of skiing in Baqueira make driving down with skis worthwhile? Hell yes! snowHead
ski holidays
@Dr. Will, it's not an early start this year, but let's not write the season off yet! In any case, as you say, Grandvalira's a safe bet.
latest report
Pyremaniac wrote:
@Dr. Will, it's not an early start this year, but let's not write the season off yet! In any case, as you say, Grandvalira's a safe bet.

Thanks for the advice, not quite liking Accuweather's long term forecast of intermittent rain in Jan! Do you reckon it will cool down enough?
snow report
YES!

hopefully... Wink
snow conditions
How it is looking in the Pyrenees for new year?

Was planing on Andorra or Cerler from 2nd-6th Jan, but from latest reports it looks like the French alps will have much more fresh snow...driving from Barcelona so we might go to France instead..what do you think?
snow conditions
mrvinegar, welcome to sH!

To be honest, I don't think Cerler will be in great shape (although it's well worth a visit when it's got better snow cover). Grandvalira in Andorra is a much better bet - and I've heard that it has something like the second-largest skiable area currently open in Europe (after Zermatt-Cervinia)!

It sounds like you've heard about some upcoming snowfall in France. In the Pyrenees we're due a bit of snow on or after Boxing day, but it still doesn't look great beyond that. If it works out in the southern French Alps, then that's worth a shot (though they're in worse condition than the Pyrenees at the moment)... but if the snow doesn't end up arriving then I'd save myself the long drive and go for Grandvalira instead.
snow report
Looks like about 18cm is set to fall in Andorra in the coming days http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/El-Tarter-Soldeu/6day/mid
ski holidays
Yup, Saturday and Sunday should bring some snowfall across the whole range, and some low temperatures too. I'm not sure it's the "big dump" that we're all waiting for, but at least it'll keep the existing pistes in condition.
snow conditions
28cm falling in formigal! http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Formigal/6day/top
latest report
Had a day off on Christmas day so hit Baqueira which with 120 runs opens was in great condition considering what has been going on across the Alps. Today we have a major snow storm with heavy snow falling for most of the day, with more expected during the night and tomorrow along with the freezing level dropping to between 200m and 400m.

Early start with clients tomorrow to see just what the snow gods have left us at Luchon-Superbagneres. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Woohoo Les Angles Facebook feed summarises what the Pyrenees Orientales has been enjoying in the last 24 hours quite nicely
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1039768579373667&id=175635755786958&substory_index=0

Seems the predicted 15 cm has been more in the range of 50 cm and they are looking to open all their runs shortly. I can now breathe easier re my end Jan/beginning Feb trip, unlikely to melt by then wink
latest report
Dr. Will, great news! Indeed, the northern side of the Pyrenees have done well, with between 40cm and 50cm of snowfall. It's been less useful on the southern side unfortunately, with just 10cm or so. It's all been accompanied by strong northwesterly winds which are doing a bit of damage and making roads difficult to pass. Various sectors of various resorts are currently closed, such as Baqueira-Bonaigua/Dossau, Grandvalira-Encamp (and all inter-sector links), and Vallnord-Arcalís. It's all been a bit frustrating from here in Cerler, on the southern side of the Pyrenees' highest peaks, since the little snow that did fall for us is being ripped off by the crazy wind. Cerler depends on southerlies, not northerlies!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pyremaniac: That's a shame about Cerler, I guess the same applies to Androra etc?

Where would you recommend on the northern side of the Pyrenees for medium level snow boarders who like off-piste action?
snow report
Pyremaniac wrote:
Dr. Will, great news! Indeed, the northern side of the Pyrenees have done well, with between 40cm and 50cm of snowfall. It's been less useful on the southern side unfortunately, with just 10cm or so. It's all been accompanied by strong northwesterly winds which are doing a bit of damage and making roads difficult to pass. southerlies

Ah yes I see what you mean for example the Pic de Cubil webcam in Grandvalira there is less snow collecting on the lifts than at resort level, for Les Angles and Font Romeu they are less affected by winds in general
ski holidays
mrvinegar wrote:
That's a shame about Cerler, I guess the same applies to Androra etc?
Actually, Grandvalira always seems to come away fairly unharmed by the wind! It's currently 80km/h there with all high parts of the resort closed, but I would expect the 40cm that fell to still have made a difference to the conditions there.

Quote:
Where would you recommend on the northern side of the Pyrenees for medium level snow boarders who like off-piste action?
Of what I know, I'd definitely recommend Baqueira. But that's a non-typical place really since it's the only Spanish resort on the north side of the range; I'm sure that some of the French resorts also have plenty to offer intermediates, with Grand Tourmalet and Saint Lary being big enough to appeal to foreign holidaymakers. (The latter is Xavier de le Rue's home resort, so it must have something worth riding! I've got a free day pass for it this year, so I'm going to try to pay it a visit for myself.)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 28-12-14 17:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Dr. Will wrote:
for Les Angles and Font Romeu they are less affected by winds in general
Yeah, less altitude and less abrupt terrain means less snowfall depth on average but also less damage by the storms that stampede through the central Pyrenees!
ski holidays
Pyremaniac wrote:
Dr. Will wrote:
for Les Angles and Font Romeu they are less affected by winds in general
Yeah, less altitude and less abrupt terrain means less snowfall depth on average but also less damage by the storms that stampede through the central Pyrenees!

That is true, also I find that both those resorts (alongside Espace c'Ambe d'Aze) have a high proportion of tree lined runs that hold their snow well as long as not being rained on. Font Romeu in particular is pleasantly deceptive, altitude difference doesn't look great on paper but in reality there are some decent red and black tree lined runs that hold their snow
snow report
Indeed - and that applies to Masella too, which is usually the last resort to close at the end of the season! I really like the tree-lined runs of the eastern Pyrenees (and that red/black in FR which goes down to the lake is great).
snow conditions
Ski Guide wrote:
Had a day off on Christmas day so hit Baqueira which with 120 runs opens was in great condition considering what has been going on across the Alps. Today we have a major snow storm with heavy snow falling for most of the day, with more expected during the night and tomorrow along with the freezing level dropping to between 200m and 400m.

Early start with clients tomorrow to see just what the snow gods have left us at Luchon-Superbagneres. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

After the storm that hit the Pyrenees this weekend the resorts of Luchon-Superbagneres and Peyragudes are in top condition.

Massive queues today, which are likely to continue but once the weekend has passed the slopes will be quiet.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
That's a gorgeous photo, @Ski Guide.
snow report
A very interesting development today. Luchon-Superbagneres was totally swamped with lots of Spanish skiers, and though this was not necessarily unusual there were way more than normal for the holiday season. This evening it became clear why - Baqueira Beret stopped selling ski passes mid morning!!! I can only assume because they were busy and only had half of their runs ready after the big snowfalls over the weekend.

Great for our resort, but the services were stretched to bursting point.

Personally I eagerly await the end of the holidays and quiet slopes once more Happy
snow conditions
Back from Font-Romeu: super crowded today. Most of the slopes and lifts were open, but the wind didn't help save the day spent on queues.

Not the best snow either in some areas it was ice. "Récord" a black slope, was causing lots of problems.

snow report
Thanks for the heads-up re Font Romeu- will probably do a day there end Jan/beginning of Feb- hopefully with less crowds. Here's hoping there ends up up being a bit of a top up in the next 4 weeks
latest report
Great conditions in the central Pyrenees again today. Most runs are now open and well pisted, and there is plenty of powder to find if you go out of your way a llittle.

With warming temperatures and the holiday exodus this weekend, the slopes will be fantastic and empty next week Happy

Current snow depths:

Luchon-Superbagneres: 50/60cm
Peyragudes: 65/100cm
Baqueira Beret: 75/150cm

Happy New Year to all Happy Happy

http://www.peak-times.com/311214.jpg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy