Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What sort of a range do most hire shops have for kids? Boot fitting question.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's been a while since I needed a hire shop, but I know lots of folks use them regularly and might have an opinion to share.

If I arrived in a reasonable sized resort and walked into a boot hire ship looking for a UK size 8/Mondo size 27-27.5 for a lightly built 12 year old with elephant sized feet, i.e. not yet up to flexing an adult boot, given that this is outside the probably usual request range for kids gear, how likely is it that they could accommodate this in the stock that they might carry?

Also, will most hire shops hire a set of boots without a set of skis?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 19-10-14 22:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, they will definitely hire boots without skis, I know as we have been with friends who have done this in a few places where boots have been outgrown but child has own skis. I suspect that at that size he will be put in to an adult boot.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I suspect that at that size he will be put in to an adult boot.

This is my worry, I don't think he will be able to flex an adult boot successfully.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes, no problem just hiring boots - though obviously you need to take the skis in to have the bindings set. Will his bindings adjust far enough to accommodate such a big pair of boots?

Looking at Snow and Rock only one of their junior range goes up to 27 mondo, so maybe sarah is right about his being given an adult boot.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, why not? My 8/9 year old's boots for the past 2 years have been a junior boot with a 60 flex. Most adult hire shop boots would be around 60/70 flex I guess.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, flex I don't think an issue at all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and plenty of skinny young lads have big feet!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Where are you going? In many Austrian resorts, the larger ski schools that cater for children also have ski rental shops, so if you start your search in their shops, they will have hundreds of pairs of children's boots to choose from.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, the bindings should be OK - they are on rails and I holiday with a someone who has been trained to adjust bindings so fitting boots to skis shouldn't be an issue.

It is reassuring to hear that some of you don't think an adult boot would be a problem flex wise as that was my main concern - this transition stage of junior to adult boots is tricky to play. It's just that at 12 (though he is tall for his age) his legs are still much shorter than an adult would be, he doesn't have the muscle bulk around his leg that an adult would have (are boot cuffs in an adult boot going to be an issue), and he is very lightly built. At age 14-15 those problems are getting ironed out, but at the moment he is still only a pre-teen in build albeit with large feet.

quinton, it will be Austria!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, having seen some videos of your lad skiing I suspect he won't pay much attention and certainly won't worry - he'll just jump into whatever boots he's offered and ski well in them and enjoy himself. 12 year olds aren't into over-thinking things and you'll obviously make sure the bindings are properly set for his stats.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@megamom. My 11 year old, tallish, but super light daughter is in a us woman size 8.5-9 shoe and she got the last size that the ski shop had for kids, with the main difference being the flex. The shop seemed glad that they did not need to put her into an adult boot. But we also had no other options if she did need an adult boot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my now 14 year old has been in ladies boots when she was 12 and seemed ok
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, @Redwine, @kitenski, Very Happy Given that an adult boot seemed the option forwards, but with an eye on his feet probably about to grow like wildfire over the next 2-3 years I didn't want to pay the earth. A trip to Decathlon when I got near one in Manchester a few weeks ago with son in tow provided a solution. We got a light flexing Rossignol Alias S70 - a novice man's boot which sounded about right - he wouldn't have had the bulk to flex something stiffer yet I don't think. He was happy with the fit and tried on a good few before deciding and for 1-2 weeks a year £70+ seemed to tick all the boxes. So we are sorted. However, many thanks for all the feedback - I am in error for not reporting in before
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy