Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone recommend a good English speaking creche in the French Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, it's that time of year again and I'm looking to book a ski trip for next year.

Unfortunately it's going to have to be in the February half term and because the prices for all the tour ops are astronomical my only option to avoid bankruptcy is to go DIY and book a self catering apartment somewhere and drive over. This is fine but the problem we have is our youngest is 2 years old and if me and the mrs are going to get any skiing time we really need to put her in a creche.

However, here's the tricky bit. We're really after a British run creche, we've used a french creche before in Samoens when our son was a bit younger and he had a pretty bad time there because of the language barrier and there were not many English speaking kids there.

So if anyone can recommend a good British run (or at least good English speaking) creche somewhere in the french alps I'd really appreciate it, then I can figure out a holiday around childcare.

Thanks in advance

Al
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tricky: we have had the same issue and have looked in the past although it isn't an option we have actually taken.

In Peisey I think there is 'safe hands' they used to have an English speaking creche- but don't anymore- private nannies (we used one once).

The problem is I think you have two almost mutually exclusive requirements: a budget ski holiday Feb half term and an English creche.

I think the best bet is to think about areas which are very very popular with Brits / have a large resident population and then look at the local creche. For example also in Peisey I think the regular creche usually has quite a few UK kids but I'm not sure about the language skills of the staff, but I'd guess particularly at half term it would be likely tab there were some English speakers. Likewise Val D'Isere / Tignes. In late April we went into the Club Panda in Argentiere to see what their provision was and if they had any English kids when they were open (it was after they had closed for the season). The woman we spoke to laughed as basically 'all the kids are English'.

I think the Vaujany creche might have an English speaking staff member most of the time (look at the Ski Peak website).

THinking really hard- what about la Tania- lots and lots of Brits, the budget option for being in the 3V's….

Best of luck and let us all know how it pans out. Our youngest is now 5 and so these problems are behind us- they are quite tricky problems though….
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have not heard of a British run crèche other than those run by tour ops such as Snowbizz. I expect they would be full for half term by now. I think as ed123 says your best option would be to go to a resort where there are lots of Brits.

I'd suggest looking at the Cariboo Club in Arc 1950 and booking accommodation in le Village 1950. If that is sold out you could also access it from Arc 2000 as there is a regular 5 min gondola between the two resorts.

Our children used the ESF run crèche in La rosiere les eucharts 5 yrs ago. I think it was called les galopins and was purpose built with nice facilities. You could maybe enquire if other English children are booked in for half term.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The_Mac_Daddy, like snowymum says best one I know of is Snowbizz in Puy St Vincent, absolutely excellent. I don't think they are quite booked up yet as they are featuring in Sunday Times Travel supp today. Self drive is cheaper though not cheap as it's half term. Having used them I'd say it's worth it for peace of mind as the creche is right there at the foot of the slopes at the bottom of your apartment block, the staff are great and everything is super convenient.

Otherwise there are a few Brit run nanny/babysitting services in Morzine like Jack Frosts and Cheeky Monkeys, seen them about but no experience of them. Looks as if Jack Frosts have a creche in Champery http://www.jackfrosts.net/kidsclub.html would be worth a look.

There is a Swiss run creche attached to the kids ski school in Siviez near Nendaz, Arc en Ciel http://www.arcenciel-siviez.ch/en/winter-program-from-to-years-old-pxl-56_57_107.html they are very nice people and speak english and again it is at the foot of the slopes there. Also they are the only place I know that will actually let them ski from age 2 too! You could get an apartment in the same building (the Rosablanche). There's not much there at Siviez but it's great access to Verbier and 4 valleys skiing.

Or as ed123 says pick a resort very, very popular with Brits and hope for the best!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The problem my son had (was 2 at the time) was that the staff didn't understand that my son was telling them he needed the toilet. I guess I can kind of understand that an English kid wondering round in a group of french kids saying 'wee wee' could be confused with 'oui oui'? any way the result was lots of toilet accidents when he never did that at nursery at home hence why I'm keen to find an English speaking creche.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The_Mac_Daddy, teach him to say 'pi-pi' Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

teach him to say 'pi-pi'

this, whilst clutching it. Simples. wink

If you have to do school hols Easter would be a lot cheaper.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

teach him to say 'pi-pi'

this, whilst clutching it. Simples. wink

If you have to do school hols Easter would be a lot cheaper.

Especially as Hampshire schools hols start and finish a week later than quite a lot of the rest of the country
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and it is also a lot warmer and more pleasant for the younger ones if they are outside.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not in Chamonix afaik
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pam/Nicky,

Going in Easter is a very good point, something I had totally overlooked. Normally I wouldn't dream of going so late in the season as I'd be worried about lack of snow but you're right it is MUCH cheaper Happy I guess if we go high enough, I'm thinking Val Thoren? hmm got me thinking now...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The_Mac_Daddy, You don't need to go as high as Val Thorens at Easter. I will stick with my original suggestion above of Arc 1950. We were there second week of April this year and the snow was fine, even after a mild March. It is ideal for families. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The_Mac_Daddy, I am taking advantage of that fact for us. We are going with Esprit, for their childcare,though we are going to St Anton, and keeping our fingers crossed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The_Mac_Daddy, I'm sure Arc 1950 would be fine - I have skied every Easter since 2003 down to my apartment on a south facing slope at 1550m. Easter is much less crowded, less expensive, longer days, etc etc
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the replies guys, I've managed to find apartments at Arc1800, how hard would it be to get the little one up to creche at Arc1950 each morning? Is there a gondola or could we drive it easy enough?
latest report
The_Mac_Daddy, there's no gondola linking Arc1800 to Arc 1950, and they are a little way apart. There is an inter-resort shuttle bus that links the arc resorts. It would be 10 mins from Arc1800 to Arc1600, then a change of bus, then 15 mins from Arc1600 to Arc1950. So I'd expect the drive to be < 25 minutes, though that still seems quite a phaff.

Have you tried looking at a creche in 1800? I know you mentioned issues with language before, but in the UK half-term/Easter break there should be quite a number of Brits about.
snow report
The_Mac_Daddy, I would not recommend staying in Arc 1800 and using the crèche at 1950. The Creche at 1950 would be a great option if you are staying in Arc 1950 or Arc 2000 but would not be easy to access from the rest of Les Arcs.

Just to explain Arc 1950 and Arc2000 are the other side of the ridge from Arc 1800. You would definitely need your own car to drive from Arc 1800 to Arc 2000 and it is quite a windy road and I wouldn't fancy doing it twice a day during the holiday. It is the kind of road where once at the beginning of the week and once at the end is enough Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ah, ok thanks for the warning guys.
snow report
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help guys, in the end I went with one of snowymum's suggestions and have booked us in to one of snowbizz's self catering apartments at puy st vincent 1800. Wasn't cheap but if the childcare is as good as everyone says then it's worth it. Really looking forward to February now Happy

Cheers

Al
latest report
@The_Mac_Daddy, So glad to hear you have booked your holiday. It is now 7 yrs since our Snowbizz holiday but from everything I've read on Snowheads Snowbizz is still family run and the service is still just as good. The nursery was purpose built and they pick their nannies very carefully. The ski school set up was ideal for our children who were 3 and 5 at the time. They went to the crèche/nursery after their lessons. The youngest did the Totons in PSV and will be doing her ESF gold this year!
snow report
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
We're really after a British run creche, we've used a french creche before in Samoens when our son was a bit younger and he had a pretty bad time there because of the language barrier and there were not many English speaking kids there.l

Must be a pretty advanced kid who at 1yr can distinguish between a French Goo and an English Gaa. Happy I suggest you look after him yourself whilst your wife(?) goes skiing - you may be able to negotiate a swap occasionally.

But seriously, if you are looking at half term, then you are going to be paying absolute top £££ for anywhere claiming British credentials. Either share the childcare amongst yourselves, bring (and pay for) a grandparent to come along too, or go during school time when prices will be about half.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy