Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Subsidised alpine ski-trip for your French / German Skills

Poster: A snowHead
Howdy fellow snowlovers! Me and a pal are looking for a French and German speaker to help us on a wee project this winter. We're going to be touring a few alpine resorts meeting with business chambers and lift operators about a business idea, but, we don't have enough confidence in our language skills.

We've got two options:
1. come along for the ride and we'll subsidise your trip with plenty of time to get on the mountain
2. help us out in specific resorts and we'll reimburse you accordingly

Send me a message if you're interested...
Tom
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

come along for the ride and we'll subsidise your trip with plenty of time to get on the mountain

Puzzled you need a skilled linguist to do simultaneous translation - they might reasonably expect more than a bit of "subsidised" ski time. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
haha, understood Pam, the idea of a very cheap skiing holiday in return for translating in a few meetings sounds like a pretty fair deal to me!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tmp28, might do for you, but as a professional translator I would expect some kind of more tangible recompense to cover my loss of income! Simultaneous translation is an extremely difficult and wearing process, and errors can prove expensive for all concerned. Those are my languages, but I will not be giving up my job just to play in the snow now and again, I can do that here any way!

You know the saying - pay peanuts, get monkeys! wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tmp28, but you do speak some French or German? Fair enough that detailed commercial negotiations need a skilled translator but you're not at that stage, are you? If you can't at least do the basics yourselves - introduce yourselves, explain your ideas, ask for initial feedback, what chance do you have of breaking through the major barriers which you can expect to encounter, trying to undercut local food providers? The maire's brother and sister in law are probably proprietors of a couple of the mountain restaurants. Her cousin runs two ski hire shops, her nephew the boulangerie and her husband the local ESF. (If you don't want to encounter that situation I suggest you don't go to Hauteluce).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn't see him ask for simultaneous translation anywhere, it's a ski resort not the UN! Probably just wants someone to refer to when they don't understand something.

See what Pam means about trying to set up a business without speaking the lingo, but they certainly won't be the first to do it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He did offer option 2:
Quote:

2. help us out in specific resorts and we'll reimburse you accordingly

So you just have to let him know what you expect to be "reimbursed" for.

Also, I thought if you just translate after each had finish speaking, it's not "simultaneous translation". I believe that term applies when the speaker keeps on talking without stopping to give the interpreter a window to do the translation.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc, as a professional translator I can tell you that it is as near to simultaneous as those knowing nothing about the task understand. It is actually contemporaneous interpreting and requires as much training and practice as simultaneous interpreting. You not only have to remember exactly what was said in both languages, in this case you will have to accurately translate in both directions. Interpreters are extremely well-paid and deserve every cent. The few times I've done it I've only been working in one direction and had to have breaks after an hour of interpreting. By the time my hour was up I was dripping in sweat and feeling as if I had a brass band in my head playing John Philip Sousa marches at top volume. I swore after the last time that I would never ever do that again, I'd rather earn less but keep my sanity!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I studied languages for my degree, part of which was simultaneous interpreting. This was was ALWAYS to mother tongue only. I semm to recall being told that the interpreters at the european parliament work in teams of 3 - 20 minutes on, 40 minutes recovering.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Mom is a professional interpreter and she's not exactly well paid. Never mind extremely well paid.

I have done that a few times when she can't cover. It's not exactly a walk in the park but not all that hard for me. Granted, I once lived in a household in which members don't share a common language. So I've been doing that ad hoc quite a bit, without pay...

There're vastly different expectation to the standard of accuracy. Doesn't sound like the OP is expecting a very high standard either.

I've once tried translating a lecture for a visiting delegate. Now THAT was hard!

The difference being, when translating for 2 private parties the interpreter has the luxury to ask the speaker to pause while the interpreter do the translation. So you don't have to memorize half an hour worth of speech awaiting translation.

I'm not saying interpreters don't deserve good pay. Heck, I'd do it if it pays better than what I make doing other job. But it's a far cry from simultaneous translation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually, I suspect that even with my poor language ability I could give the OP the gist of the kind of response yer average maire is likely to give to the idea of someone bringing in new competition for the local mountain restaurants with a mobile bacon butty dispenser. wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
no one mentioned mobile bacon butties (or tapas), or even stepping on anyone's toes. The op said he had a business plan he wanted to punt. He will probably need a hand with translation. He asked for help, admittedly not offering much recompense. No need to shoot him down in flames, surely?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

no one mentioned mobile bacon butties

well, mobile food on the mountain (if not bacon butties) is what it's about and he's had a long and extremely helpful post about all the various food and other relevant regulation from someone who knows. Another thread.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, ok, missed that, apologies lass.
snow report
@tmp28, I'm a German speaker based in innsbruck and would be willing to help out. I can't pm you because I'm 'down a crevasse' (??) but try sending me a message and we'll see if we can sort something out 😊
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy