Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time ski seeker!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Call it an early mid-life crisis, but I've finally decided to give into my life long desire and try skiing!

I would prefer to go with mates, but I don't have any.. . At least none that can/want to go in mid-December.

Complete beginner and I was wondering if there were any ski school packages that might be a good idea? Like a group of first timers?

Failing that, can anyone give me some tips? I want to go around mid-December for 7 nights and want good snow and a variety of slopes (as I'm optimistic I'll get the hang of it quickly, coming from a skater background), good snow, decent apres life and where to book etc!?

Does anyone know anyone who has done this solo before? Seems pretty tragic!

Finally, if anyone wants to come along, or invite me to come along with them, that'd be good!

Thanks,

Nick
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google Pistepals ... Friend of mine went on one if their Beginners weeks and came back buzzing ... Although think they are Feb Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zudecke, welcome to snowheads. I'm not sure if pistepals (which is in Morzine) will have enough snow in mid December as it's not very high altitude.
Some of us are looking to go away to Tignes (probably) which is high altitude so better chance of good snow the week 6/7 Dec. mo beginners I'm afraid but we can show you to the ski school and be in the pub when your lesson is finished🍻🎿 so you can tell us about your trills and spills. We're waiting for final details, should be soon.
Other option for you is Action Outdoors they do great value breaks to French ski resorts with ski school, hire and full board accomodation included and you will be staying with people in your ski class so very social.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zudecke, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I agree that Action Outdoors would be ideal for you. Are you an ice skater or a skate boarder? If the latter, it's a good transition to snowboarding. But ice skating is a good transition to skiing, too, though unless you are extraordinarily gifted you won't need a big variety of slopes in your first week. wink

Mid December is very early - the season in most resorts doesn't get going till Christmas, but as speachmaus says, Tignes is popular in early December as it is high and has a glacier area if all else fails.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Zudecke,

We have some spaces in our chalets for 13-20th December in La Plagne with no single supplement if you think that might help? There are other solo skiiers booked in and there is usually a good atmosphere in the chalets with everyone getting to know each other.

If you haven't skied before I would recommend going for a group lessons package and we can recommend some ski schools who will move you up into a harder group if you get the hang of it faster than other learners because of your background.

More details are available via the link below but if you have any questions at all, please just ask.

Happy planning!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have stayed at ice and fire chalet and it is great but la plagne in my opinion isn't high enough to guarantee snow in December. Don't get me wrong there maybe will be but if I was booking there in dec it would be a last minute booking depending on conditions and forecast.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zudecke, Action Outdoors Val d,Isere mid December £530 including full board, full time instruction, hire of all gear and a lift pass. https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday/cart?ActivityID=9258

The UCPA instructors will find you snow. But the AO website says there are only a few places left on that holiday (and they don't say that about everything).

With full time instruction you will progress really fast.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zudecke,

As your looking to go at the same time as me, we should talk Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zudecke, are your dates fixed? If you can wait until January, there is a SnowHeads bash that sounds perfect for you:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2569865&highlight=livigno#2569865

UCPA is a good suggestion, depending a little on how old you are - you don't say - they have an age cut off of 40. This can be a bit flexible, but you should be prepared that you could be sharing a dorm with a load of 20-somethings.

Mid-December is usually relatively quiet apres wise.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all,

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

My days aren't fixed but afraid the month is.. Has to be December because of work commitments.

I spoke to one lovely lady who organises group trips but I think the average age was considerably higher than mine (2Cool so not sure how that would go. Not that I care too much tbh.

Failing a group/chalet holiday, has anyone tried Club Med resorts?

Keep suggestions coming guys!

Will check out action outdoors now.

Cheers,

Z
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can highly recommend UCPA. Book through the uk site action outdoors. Lots of young people great value and excellent tuition. I went to the one in. Val thorens in France. Or another option for a December trip would be tignes, val disere or chamonix you need to go for a high resort as December is very much the start of season lower resorts may not have snow and that's not a good way to start skiing and could be a waste of a lot of money. Which area was the chalet that you spoke to the lady?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That action outdoors site looks good!

Their December offering inckudes: Flaine, La Plagne, Serre Chavalier, Tignes, Val d'Isere, Val Thorens. Given the mid to late December dates, Can anyone recommend some safe bets from that list?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tignes, val disere or val thorens all should be fine. I wouldn't consider the others for a December trip but ok for mid jan to mid March
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mid December is early season and fairly cheap - later December (though still early season in terms of snow) is christmas and new year weeks, a very different story, busy and expensive.

I don't think they have offerings with lessons for beginners in all those places - they did in Val d'Isere when I looked rather quickly. The best bets for snow in early December, of that list, are Tignes and Val Thorens but you'll also need to think about travel costs - if you can use the Action Outdoors coach service you'll save a packet.

they don't do beginner lessons in every centre, every week. And as a beginner, provided you are fit and up for it, all day lessons are good because you won't be able to do very much on your own for your first week and you might end up feeling your time out of lessons is a bit wasted.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you quote SP2015 on action outdoors you get £10 discount. Phone them if there's anything you're not sure about. They are very good and will advise on what to do but I agree with pam w, go for full time lessons its only about £20 more than part time. The equipment is very good and it is full board, you come back to centre for lunch or take a picnic. Sometimes they can arrange transfers rom Geneva airport or you can bus it from London but as I say give them a phone.
snow conditions
Was planning on going to UCPA for the 13th Dec to Flaine.....will i be me making a mistake?
snow report
It's difficult to predict. It might be fine it might be awful. Whenever I ski in December I always go as high as possible. Flaine is between 1600m at resort to 2500m highest point. The likes of Tignes is 1000m higher. The instructors will always find you snow but personally I would go higher. It's more expensive but worth it.
snow report
Eg. We skied first week in December In tignes last year had amazing conditions every run open. The same week the year before only 5 runs open as so much snow it was too dangerous the same week the year before hardly any snow only on glacier.
ski holidays
@Zudecke, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=113191 have a look at this we don't have prices yet but will be good value

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 27-10-14 21:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hey..

No link..
snow report
Ok sorry Have a look on forthcoming events for Not the PSB
snow report
it works now
ski holidays
There's still some spaces in the HOFNAR chalet. No dedicated beginners weeks in December so no company for lessons but the hosts will make sure you're not just abandoned, you'll have plenty of company in the evenings and in my experience the more advanced skiers will be happy to ski with you in the afternoons.[/url]

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 28-10-14 14:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

in my experience the more advanced skiers will be happy to ski with you in the afternoons.

Doesn't sound too clever an idea to me, for a first-week skier. Especially, maybe, if he turns out to be a fast learner and trying to keep up. Too many "more advanced skiers" are eager to take beginners down runs which are a bit much for them. All day lessons, or skiing with other complete beginners in the afternoon, on the terrain you've done with the instructor (or on your own if you're keen) would be better IMO.
snow conditions
I started skiing solo. If you have access to indoor slope near home, take a package of lessons & you will have a head start in resort. I then just booked a week of group lessons in resort, which was virtually all day, every day in Austria. Going mid Dec is a bit more restrictive on choice for snow reliability.
latest report
@Lechbob, absolutely right even if it's a dry slope. @pam w, I agree too. You would be far better with full time instruction. You will be with same group all week and can ski together after class to brush up technique. I don't want to be harsh to HOFNAR and ice n fire but these resorts are not high enough for December trips. I know you are trying to fill your chalets but if you have no snow then this beginner skier has wasted a lot of money and might be put off from going skiing again. Perhaps there will be plenty of snow but it would be a last minute booking if I was to go there depending on conditions and forecast. Just saying!!
ski holidays
Cheers guys.

I'm pretty much set on tignes or val d'isere based on advice here and friends.

Just need a reasonably priced hotel or a group to share a chalet with. Although, I must say, bit unsure about roughing it in a shared room tbh.. Didn't realise that's how it worked for solo skiers or small groups.
snow conditions
As I said there are a group of snowheads going to tignes val claret 6-13 dec it will be to apartments, if you come along you will probably have to share with someone of the same sex. We don't have prices yet but as admin deals with these people regularly it will be the best price possible.
That's how some company's avoid charging single supplements, if you are in a twin or double room they are missing out on a paying customer.
I would recommend either the (not) psb or ucpa both great prices for high altitude resorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

in my experience the more advanced skiers will be happy to ski with you in the afternoons.

Doesn't sound too clever an idea to me, for a first-week skier. Especially, maybe, if he turns out to be a fast learner and trying to keep up. Too many "more advanced skiers" are eager to take beginners down runs which are a bit much for them. All day lessons, or skiing with other complete beginners in the afternoon, on the terrain you've done with the instructor (or on your own if you're keen) would be better IMO.

I only meant from the social side, that you won't get treated like a leper and abandoned by the rest of the group all day. The group will often come and ski around the same area as a beginner just to say hello and encorrage you - all be it while skiing the harder slopes in that area.

speachmaus wrote:
...I don't want to be harsh to HOFNAR and ice n fire but these resorts are not high enough for December trips. I know you are trying to fill your chalets but if you have no snow then this beginner skier has wasted a lot of money and might be put off from going skiing again....

I'm not sure that's really fair to either company, or the Portes du Soleil ski area. Looking at the numbers on this site the upper slopes at Morzine have had between 61cm and 154cm in December over the last 3 seasons. And if it was unusually warm beginners could always catch the bus from Morzine up to Avoriaz and have their lessons there.

N.B. I've no assiciation with HOFNAR other than as a happy customer.
ski holidays
@Mjit, as this person is a beginner surely the best possible conditions for the time of year are advisable. I'm sure the instructors would bus them up the hill if need be. For an example the PSB has been going to Tignes the first week in December for the last 3 years (the second highest resort in Alps) the first year had now new snow only the glacier was open, the next year there was so much snow that they could only open a handful of lifts as it was too dangerous. Last year it was perfect plenty of snow and the whole area available to ski.
So if this can happen in Tignes then lose areas are even more unpredictable.
The OP asked for suggestions for a first time solo skier in mid December. I feel that advising on such things will ensure as good a trip as possible so they can enjoy their first time skiing and want to go back. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

I don't want to be harsh to HOFNAR and ice n fire but these resorts are not high enough for December trips. I know you are trying to fill your chalets but if you have no snow then this beginner skier has wasted a lot of money and might be put off from going skiing again.

@speachmaus, I think this is really unfair. Plenty of chalets don't start operations until Christmas week - earlier opening only works in snowsure resorts. Plagne Centre lies at 1970m, and there is lift accessed skiing up to 3250m. It's a purpose built high altitude ski resort with an excellent snow record. Geographically, it's very close to Tignes, and you can even ski between the two resorts (off-piste).

http://www.igluski.com/france/la-plagne-snow-history_1603

(I have no association with either company and have not commented on Morzine because I don't know it).
latest report
I know that you are keen to sell your own trip @speachmaus, but @Gämsbock, is actually right about La Plagne.

As he says in his post Tignes and La Plagne are actually geographically very close together (an hours drive between them) and there isn't much to choose from either in terms of height or snowfall levels -and usually snow conditions in Paradiski and Espace Killy are very similar.

The reason that Tignes offers summer skiing and earlier opening than La Plagne is to do with the size and number of pistes on the glacier rather than the likely amount of snow as this makes it more commercially viable to offer because they can sell more lift passes.

In addition both resorts are also owned by the same company and so for them, financially, it makes more sense to only have one of them open rather than both in order to concentrate the number of early-season skiiers into one location.
ski holidays
As a beginner @Zudecke, the most important thing is to get some good quality lessons as these will help you progress. So, you want to choose an accommodation which is within reasonably easy access of beginner slopes and ski schools - you're extreemly unlikely to be zipping around the Tignes glacier even by the end of the week!

There are plenty of chalets and hotels in both Tignes and Val D'Isere which will be reasonably priced for that week, which are close to beginner areas and which offer a communal dining table which is a great way to meet other people if you are travelling solo. You don't have to share a room if you don't want to and if you book one of the December weeks before Christmas you should be able to negociate to have no/low single supplement.

For a good selection of accommodation I would recommend putting your details into Chalets Direct (http://www.chaletsdirect.com/) with a list of what you are looking for and I am sure you will get some great suggestions.

Happy planning!
snow report
@Snow and Sunshine, I am not trying to sell "my" trip, it is an organised snowheads trip. No one makes any money from it.
I have stayed in your chalet Genepi in Plagne 1800 and I don't think its in a good location for a solo beginner as walking and bus is required to get to ski school.
@Zudecke, maybe you should try a package deal like Crystal as they will organise everything flights, transfers, ski hire, lift pass and you will have your own room and a rep on hand to help
snow conditions
@Zudecke, did you get something organised?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy