Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver training France

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

The last two years I've done a couple of days with a guide and really want to do more and progress off-piste. I've been looking at transceivers etc and the first thing you read about them is they're no good unless you know how to use it, however, after some searching I'm finding it very hard to find a kind of "transceiver course" to learn the techniques. I'm based in France (Marseille) and I've found the ANENA (http://www.anena.org/5170-formations-dva.htm its in French) course that looks really good but its only in the northern Alps which is quite a trek for me. Does anyone know of more of these kind of courses preferably in the southern alps (Serre Chevalier, Montgenvre, Vars/Risoul)? Or is it a case of convincing a guide/instructor to teach you? Or learn it yourself :s ....

Ps if its in French all the better, I'd probably be doing it with a French friend.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You shouldn't need to 'convince' a guide or instructor, just phone a good ski school and state clearly that's what you want. The first time I did any training with off piste safety equipment it was on a private lesson - this was with a top instructor admittedly who owned the ski school, but progressing to off piste was in my personal learning plan with him, and this was an essential step.

In Serre Chevalier contact New Gen (edit not Evolution 2), they will definitely have good instructors to practice transceiver etc techniques with.

If you could make it to Chamonix I would highly recommend Avalanche Academy. I did two day courses with them last winter which were fantastic, and will definitely repeat at least one of them this year (they were that good - really fun and informative, and a refresher is always useful!)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-10-14 9:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fixx, I'm not aware that there is an Evolution 2 in Serre Che.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oops, thanks Hells Bells, I meant New Gen! Shouldn't type when I've just woken up on a Sunday Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
French Alpine Club an option?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fixx, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

French Alpine Club

would def be worth investigating. Lots of climbing near Marseilles, would imagine it can get snowy up top. Or Alpes-Maritimes Auron or Isola?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks very much, i'll get onto some ski schools then
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for Avalanche Academy in Cham.

Great off piste course with some guiding thrown in as well as lots of hands on and practical experience with the avvy kit. Eye opening and worthwhile.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think I read somewhere tignes le lac does AVRA training on a tuesday. Might've been from a previous season. Perhaps some tignesheads could confirm.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ozbozz123 wrote:
I've been looking at transceivers etc and the first thing you read about them is they're no good unless you know how to use it, however, after some searching I'm finding it very hard to find a kind of "transceiver course" to learn the techniques. I'm based in France (Marseille).

If you are in Marseille and you are purely interested in training with beacons you could try the ARVA Parc in the Val d'Allos which would not be too hard for you to reach: http://www.valdallos.com/arva.html

A little further afield for you there are Arva training zones in Serre Chevalier (self service system) and at Réallon where you can train with a pisteur. Les Aiguilles in the Queyras also has a parc on self service use: http://www.espace-skiderando.com/ARVA-PARC.

I would contact either the resort or piste service and see if they have organized training sessions, this would be best for you. This kind of training would be useful if you are part of a led group and might be called on to help in a rescue but you would be far from what could be thought of as autonomous.

If you want to go further, towards being able to assess risk, lead groups and organize a rescue you would need a longer and more in-depth course. As you pointed out the ANENA in conjunction with the FFCAM have run some very good sessions the last few years as do the French mountaineering clubs. The ANENA have something in the Ubaye at the end of January but at quite a high level and the Devoluy. With all due respect to ski instructors you would be best doing this kind of training with a guide, and really a guide who is used to giving this kind of training. Outside of Chamonix or la Grave you should be looking at the guides who work with the Police and Mountaineering Clubs.

You could organize a guide for somewhere like Serre Che and advertise any extra places on snowheads for example.

Personally, in your case, I would see what the resorts I've suggested have to offer in basic training or join a local club affliated to either the FFCAM or FFME. The training is more formal. You would do a level 1 training with the club, often a day in the mountains then you could do a level II training in Snow and Avalanches which would be a weekend in a refuge, instructor and frequently guide led. At that level they usually end up being quite focussed on search and rescue and being able to operate as part of a group. The level II trainings get booked up early as they are part of being a ski or snowshoe leader with the alpine clubs.

Here is a list of clubs affliated with the FFME (part of the French Sports Ministry): http://www.ffme.fr/club/liste-des-structures.html?ID_DEPARTEMENT=13 and for the FFCAM http://www.ffcam.fr/index.php?function=browseDepts&insidefile=ffcamBrowseDepts.html&tplentry=br&alias=clubs&numdept=T038%3A13 I suspect in Marseille they are a bit more focussed on Calanques than snow and this might guide your choice of club.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yip there is free training in Tignes every week (well there has been for the last dozen seasons). Just check the events programme for the week - its done in a training area near the lake - there are up to 4 buried dummies.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for avalanche academy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
Yip there is free training in Tignes every week (well there has been for the last dozen seasons). Just check the events programme for the week - its done in a training area near the lake - there are up to 4 buried dummies.

Be nice & call them what they are - snowboarders. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ended up doing an ANENA DVA1 course in Puy St Vincent run by ESI, was only a half day on a bit of avalanche and searching theory followed by some training out on the mountain, but was very informative and useful. Definitely recommend as a good introduction.

Don't think I'll be heading off anywhere on my own just for now but glad to have done it to know more about what's going on when I'm out with a guide.

Thanks for all your recommendations think I might have a look at one of the week long ones for next season.
ski holidays
ESF Tignes le Lac does FREE training each Tuesday evening at 5.15pm. You just have to register in the ski school before hand so they know numbers attending.
snow conditions
UK try http://crankitupgear.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/avalanche-courses.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy