Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel 'ski welt' - good enough for 2 weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm a relatively advanced skier and I've never been to Austria. I've booked myself a week in Hopfgarten and I'm considering a second week in Kitzbuhel. I understand that they are both part of a "ski-welt" area that ur lift pass covers.

I'm wondering if the "ski-welt" area is big and steep enough to keep a good skier happy for two weeks, or whether I'll be bored after one? Are there some decent steeps? Hows the off-piste?

Comments would be welcome!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
k4rma, if you hire a car, you could probably do the whole winter out there without getting bored!

Aside from Kitzbuhel itself, you have the Ski-Welt (Soll, Ellmau, Scheffau), St. Johann, Fieberbrunn, Leogang (liftlinked into Saalbach-Hinterglemm) all within 30 minutes drive.

Not too sure about the liftpass situation, but in general weekly liftpasses in Austria get you about 6 days for the price of 5, so even if you were buying daily passes in different areas, you wouldn't be that much out of pocket.

I'll let someone else comment on the steeps and off-piste as I'm a lower level of skiier, but although the area doesn't have a "hardcore" reputation, given the sheer volume of accessible slopes I can't believe you wouldn't find what you're looking for.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
k4rma, hi There is a combined pass it's called Kitzbul alps pass (www.kitzbueheler-alpen.com). This covers about 660 km of piste. The skiwelt being the biggest 250km of linked piste. There is a new lift between Westerndorf (part of skiwelt)and Kitzbuhel,But I don't know if it's finished, try this site for info www.skiwelt.at or ring 0043 5358 5050. As for off-piste as always ask the locals.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The link is now open, but it's quite a cumbersome journey. You ski down from Kitzbuhel then catch a bus to the new K-West to Westendorf, then down into Westendorf and another bus to Brixen for the main Ski Welt. There's a postbus also direct from Kitzbuhel to Brixen, or a train from K to Hopfgarten.

The lift covers Kitzbuhel, Ski Welt and a further 3 areas, and a 2 week pass is about 6E more than a Kitzbuhel pass, but it doesn't cover the postbus or train.

I can't see that it's easy to get bored here, there's loads of opportunity for off-piste and a few steep runs scattered around, plus all the excitement of getting between the areas rolling eyes . We're doing 2 weeks in January and wondering whether to stick to Kitzbuhel or expand into Ski Welt, haven't made the decision yet. We're all quite reasonable skiers, so it could easily be that Kitzbuhel has enough for 2 weeks, particularly with the blacks in the middle area and the ski routes behind them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't imagine anyone being bored in Kitzbuhel! massive area, lots of variety, interesting nightlife(!). If the mousefalle isn't steep enough for you then you must be dead!!!! Shock
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And by the way there are some really good mountain eateries in the Ski Welt, (I am 4kg overweight this season Sad )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
k4rma, personally I find Kitz to be the more interesting area, and if the snow is good then it has really fantastic on and off piste for all the family. The area just keeps getting better and better. Last year the opened up a spectacular new lift connecting the Pass Thurn with the main Kitz area (previously you could only get back from Pass Thurn by bus). That means that you can take the seven Km off piste run from the top of Steinbergkogel down to Jochberg and get back again without using a bus now. This year they have added in a link to Westendorf. Great. There's more than enough there to keep a guy happy for a couple of weeks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Lawrie, Well, if it can keep Toni Sailer happy for a lifetime, then methinks that's an understatement!!!!

"It is thanks to this extraordinarily high level of competition that Tony Sailer’s three gold medals in Cortina Winter Olympics had such an unprecedented reception – at a time when television was still playing only a marginal role in image making. Even in countries where snow only existed in picture books, skiing – and Sailer – gripped the public imagination." Extract from http://www.skiworldcup.org/load/history/index_3.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, not forgetting Hansi Hinterseer. Now if he would just stop singing...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Lawrie, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy