Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time in Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Alright guys, first post albeit been registered a good while Smile

Me and the missus is leaving the child behind this year for a trip to Tignes and with it being our first time to the Tignes area, we're looking for a few pointers for when we get there.

We're not over the hill by no means and wouldn't mind some nightlife to enjoy, with some good recommendations for places to eat out in the area if folk could point us in the right direction.

Also any info about the resort that's not disguised in bias would also be quality Smile

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
my first time in tignes in jan as well.. i am more of a stay at hotel type but would also be interested in advice about being on the slopes. 4 of us and probably all of us with 20+ weeks of skiing each. like to dabblein off piste too.

pcotgrave, sorry to hijack your thread but thought this may add.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which part of Tignes? It's pretty spread out
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always like staying in Val Claret for the apartment and the fact I use it as my early season hol - being in Val makes you closer to the furnicular. We always stay in a cheap and cheerful apartment, so cant recommend any hotels.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pcotgrave, welcome to snowHeads (belatedly wink ) snowHead

Whereabouts in Tignes - or which part, to be clearer? Might help with advice/ideas on the resort bit.

There are quite a few Tignes "aficionados" here who I am sure will be able to give pointers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi most probably our favourite ski area, we have stayed in Val Claret, Bec Rouge & Le lac all brilliant but would absolutely recommend you visit Alpaka bar in Le Lac for apres, fantastic bar, wi fi, & great food, just up the hill from aeroski well worth it, we will some day soon actually stay there, when the kids have gone Blush
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the responses, it's very much appreciated.

We're off to Le Lac area staying at the Chalet Glacier (via Crystal). I'll defintely take up the advice of the Alpaca as I like a few sherbets after a long day on the slopes Smile

I board whilst the wife has taken up skiing (only recently) so any info on the slopes like MogulMonkey has asked would be great also (more enquiring the merrier as it may help us along the way Very Happy)

Thanks again!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Loop bar gets pretty busy between 4 and 6 for happy hour and then later on they usually have bands or themed nights and the food's pretty decent too if you don't want the full on restaurant experience - if you go in there make sure you ask for a Loop card as it gives you 10% off to be used on a subsequent purchase - this applies to food and drinks so if you use it regular over the week it can add up.

As well as the wealth of knowledge on here there are a couple of sites i've looked at previously that can help too - though i don't know how current their info is as bars do sometimes close/change hands - here they are anyway:-

http://www.tignes.co.uk/eveningsout.htm

http://www.tignesnet.com/food/restaurants
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not a complete list, but try:-

Lunch - Tignes Cuisine, Loop (both in le Lac, next door to each other)

Apres & evening bars
Val Claret - Couloir
le Lac - Embuscade, Marmot Arms, Jam, Alpaka, Loop
Lavachet - TCs, So.Bar

Dinner
Val Claret - Couloir, Petit Savoyard
le Lac - Bagus, Clin d'Oeil
Lavachet - Queue de Cochon, Ferme des 3 Capucines
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry, just saw 'slopes':-
There are 300km of piste in the Espace, so if you can give some more info on the type of piste you are looking for?
Off-piste, try this thread:-
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111756
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pcotgrave, always found the Pignatta very reliable for fabulous thin crust pizzas and their plat de jour is often great too. Its in Tignes Val Claret. Can get packed so you might want to book ahead.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you follow this thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112438
there will be a daily blog from either myself or Stuart Woodward about what's hot and what's not - at least 2 of the enterprises mentioned above have changed hands. There is also last years thread further down if you want to get a feel for the resort and off piste. Very few people will make recommendations for off piste routes as it is such a varied feast regarding conditions ability and training - whilst I am happy to describe what I did it is up to you to assess your knowledge and skills before you make the decision to venture 'beyond the poles'.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pcotgrave wrote:
I board whilst the wife has taken up skiing (only recently) so any info on the slopes like MogulMonkey has asked would be great also (more enquiring the merrier as it may help us along the way Very Happy)

There's so many great runs In the EK you can't really single too many out.

As a boarder there's only a few flat spots - One coming down an otherwise very nice cruisy blue down from the grande motte (is it called genepi?) you can see it coming, but carrying enough speed if the run is busy with beginners can be a bit tricky.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went to Tignes last New Year it was busy on the slopes. I've only been skiing for nearly two years I found it slightly crazy. There is a great place to eat called Pepes also why not go on to the Tignes ski guide there's lots of good info on there. If you are there for new year or is magical there was an area in Tignes where there was a dancing polar bear , not really I add children were sledging and there was hot chocolate being served. The ski instructors done a touch light arcade down the slopes. Just amazing take a trip to val de sar if you can I loved it there .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or even Val d'Isere.

There are plenty of great restaurants in Tignes. One of my faves is L'Armailly down in Les Brevieres, just over the bridge. Lovely food and it's wonderful to sit outside if the weather's warm. It's a standard lunch stop after doing La Sache black, which is a fabulous run. There are other routes down if you don't fancy a black though, and they're all nice. Or you can do half of Sache then branch off and do a red to avoid the steep, mogully section near the bottom (it rejoins just below it).

For apres, I really liked the Loop bar, they have some good live bands in there.
latest report
+1 for the L'Armailly. The La Bouida (on the bridge) also does lovely salads (the Tignarde being my favourite).
snow report
I always loved l'Ouilette, over on the Solaise side of VdI at the bottom of the Madeleine lift. A nice big terrace with a bbq always on the go, a great place to stop for a beer and bite to eat in the sun.

Also, I've still never had an omelette as good as the ones I used to have in the restaurant at the top of the Chaundannes chairlift (I think it's called L'Alpages des Chaudannes).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy