Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone used the Formule1 automatic room dispenser?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm driving out to the PdS on boxing day, to arrive on the 27th. I arrive quite late in France, around 8pm, but would like to knock off as much of the journey as I can that evening. I could do Troyes in about 3 hrs and stop at the Formule1 there, but the reception closes at 9pm.

I see from their website that they have

Quote:
24 hours out of 24 and 7 days out of 7, the Automatic Rooms Dispenser*, placed in the entrance of the hotel, enables you to access your room thanks to the bank card with which you made your booking on the Internet.

Has anyone used these automatic dispensers? Is it just a case of 'checking in' by swiping your card and getting the key automatically?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We used one of these last year. They are a little strange.

When you arrive you use your booking ref and card to 'check in'. This then gives a print out showing the front door code, your room number and the code to get into your room. There are a couple of large vending machines in the lobby with various food, drinks and other travel essentials. I think there was also a microwave for the ready meals.

The rooms are very basic.

In the morning there is breakfast, and staff are around.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feef wrote:
Has anyone used these automatic dispensers? Is it just a case of 'checking in' by swiping your card and getting the key automatically?

Yes and Yes.

The other chain hotels have automatic checkin too and have en-suite bathrooms. I have used all the Hotel BBs in Troyes on the way out to the Alps.

There was a time when the F1 system was a lot more reliable than any of the others but I haven't had a problem for a few years.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are common at many of the budget hotels in France. Used them quite a bit.

Last winter, arriving at midnight at one hotel in Bethune we found the machine was out of order - fortunately the staff were waiting up for us.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
F1 are very very basic though. I woud suggest staying at a Premiere Classe if you can afford the 35 euros

http://www.premiereclasse.com/en/france/champagne-ardenne/hotels-troyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scski, we stayed at a Hotel-BB, not an F1 Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, I wasn't aware of the Premiere Classe hotels, and they offer the same automated checkin which is cool. I'm well aware of how basic F1 is as I've used them before, just not the automatic checkin, but at €35 a Premiere Classe is hardly going to break the bank.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've used Premiere Classe in Rennes. Basic (very), but clean is about the best way to describe it. If F1 is even more basic then that would be below my limit I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I've used the machine to get a late room at several of the French hotel chains. Not when I've booked (I rarely book - just turn up when I feel like getting off the road). I did once find a Frenchman on his knees in front of his door in a F1. He'd clearly not read the instructions about how to open the door. Having just negotiated my own I offered to help. He looked a bit startled (maybe thought this was a new form of proposition) but thanked me politely when I opened the door for him and was probably mighty relieved when I went on my way.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
F1 Hotels have a shared bathroom/toilet in the corridor, whereas the Premiere Classe have this in the room for your use only Little Angel Used both and the automatic check in is quite easy, never crossed any Frenchmen as Pam w stated though!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Premiere Classe is looking more attractive. It's been a while since I had to do a stopover like this, so it's interesting to see how much the budget hotel market has moved on
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having spent plenty of time in youth hostels and campsites in my time I do not suffer from the absolute Shock Horror of some snowheads at the thought of shared facilities. wink I prefer my own, obviously - who wouldn't - but if the F1 is closest and has a room, that's OK. The IBIS Budget chain is good. I rarely have breakfast at any of them - I tend to get on the road early then stop after an hour or two at an aire, depending on how hungry I get.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
then stop after an hour or two at an aire

for a wee wee? After a crossed-leg night in an F1 you'd need it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

After a crossed-leg night in an F1 you'd need it

they do have toilets in F1, oddly enough. And usually clean, IME. As I said, for somebody quite accustomed to camp sites and youth hostels sharing a loo is not too traumatic and I'd prefer not to pay €40 to do it without walking a few metres down a corridor. The length of time I spent in an overnight stop on the drive to and from the alps I usually only need one or two. wink

I wonder how the people who can't bear to share facilities cope at a mountain restaurant when they stop for a coffee or lunch?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Does the automatic checkin allow you to just turn up and get a room without booking then? even better if that's the case.
snow report
feef, Yes. Assuming they have a room free. We always in advance, gives a target to aim for and a guaranteed bed once there. We used to just turn up, but after one or two difficulties (taking hours to find somewhere) we don't risk it anymore.

In fact, next Saturday night we are in the BB in Troyes - we were booked into the MrBed but having read the reviews we thought better of it
latest report
A mate of mine used one of their hotels once. Not saying the walls are thin but he said he could hear the guy next door slurping his cup of tea.
snow conditions
I've only used F1 once. Checked in seamlessly, went straight to my room, dumped bags and straight off to the shower, which whilst communal and down the corridor was clean and decent enough. I went all "European" and left my clothes in my room, so post-shower returned to my room wearing nothing but my towel clutching shampoo bottle in hand, only to realise I'd forgotten the room combination code and was locked out in the corridor (much to the amusement of the girls opposite).

Fortunately someone still happened to be at reception (which was only manned during limited hours) and able to give me my code again.
snow report
Quote:

Does the automatic checkin allow you to just turn up and get a room without booking then? even better if that's the case.

yes, if they have rooms free, and I'm sure the same would be true of other chains.
snow report
pam w wrote:

I wonder how the people who can't bear to share facilities cope at a mountain restaurant when they stop for a coffee or lunch?

Wedge the gondola door open with a ski pole and p1ss on the slopes below through the gap, and you?
snow conditions
Quote:

It's more the hassle of having to get up, get dressed and leave the room to have a pee in the middle of the night. Oh, and getting into a soggy wet shower cubicle after someone else has has used it.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 18-10-14 17:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I once stayed at a Premiere Class, having checked in whilst reception was manned and was given the room number and room key. Whilst asleep in the room late at night I was woken by the noise of someone outside my room attempting to get in, followed a few seconds later by them successfully opening the door and entering. Half asleep, I shouted out something like "Oi!" or words to that effect, and the surprised intruder muttered a "Pardon" and went away in confusion. In the morning I complained to reception and it turned out that when I'd checked in they had put my room details down incorrectly on their computer system, so that my room wasn't shown as allocated and so the automated room key dispensing system also allocated it to a new customer when they checked in late at night! Evil or Very Mad
They did waive the fee for breakfast in the morning as recompense though. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

It's more the hassle of having to get up, get dressed

well, I find I have to get up even to pee in an en-suite and as I wear quite respectable PJs I only have to slip on my shoes. I'm happy to do that to save enough for a good supper. And as my OH was usually up and into the shower before me, I'm used to a wet cubicle. wink

Alastair Pink, Shocked not nice.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
pam w wrote:

Wedge the gondola door open with a ski pole and p1ss on the slopes below through the gap, and you?

You've been living in France too long wink
snow conditions
pam w, if I am in my own room, I don't need to put anything on.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, I do agree it's nicer to have your own room, though I always wear PJs anyway. But I am willing to slip a pair of shoes on and walk along a corridor to earn €40 in 5 minutes. wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

I'm happy to do that to save enough for a good supper.

I'm tempted, the F1 in Troyes is 19 euros, compared to 35 for the 1ere classe. For 16 euros difference, hmmm that's a steak and chips and a glass of bordeaux, I could pee out the window.

Where Pam gets her 40 euros from I don't know?

Normally the difference between F1 and 1ere Classe is in the 3-6 euros bracket.
ski holidays
lol @ gondola cabin
no comment about the time I found out that the last Waterloo - Guildford train via Oxshott doesn't have conveniences, after a night out up town.
foot was well placed to avoid amputation

not sure I trust a machine to give me a room key at 1am after an 8 hour drive.

only one I did stay at with the key dispenser was Leipzig Etap (before the refurb to Ibis Budget). jobsworth there refused to serve me because I arrived 15mins before reception opened. he sat outside the door until 17:59:59 reading his paper. I sat out side the door until 17:59:59 waiting for him to finish reading his paper. machine doesn't operate until 18:00 (or maybe whenever reception closes).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
Quote:

It's more the hassle of having to get up, get dressed and leave the room to have a pee in the middle of the night. Oh, and getting into a soggy wet shower cubicle after someone else has used it.

I don't have an ensuite at home and I don't wait for the shower curtain to dry after my son's had a wash.
ski holidays
Nor do I feef, it's strangers being in the bathroom that is the issue. I'm fine if I'm staying in a friend's house for example, but have had bad experience in the past in shared facilities like this. Let's just say I left without using the bathroom at all after I opened the door. I really, really wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I shared one bath and loo with 5 others, but they are family.
latest report
Quote:

I shared one bath and loo with 5 others, but they are family.

Luxury, Hells Bells! wink I didn't live in a house with a bathroom till I was in the VIth form. I,ve just been lucky, I guess, when I've stayed in places with shared facilities that they were acceptable - or if one loo or shower was a bit grotty, the next one was OK. My €40? If I decide to stop at 10 pm to get a bed for the night and turn my nose up at the F1 it's quite possible that the next nearest place (because I'm not going driving round miles at that time of night looking for a Premiere Class) is quite a bit more expensive. For example, a bed at the Ibis Budget in Bourg en Bresse tomorrow night is £54. The F1 is €19. The difference is not far off €40.

When we shared facilities in low budget catered chalets on early ski holidays the only person who disgraced himself in the bathroom after too much red wine ("but it's free Mum....."rolling eyes ) was, to my shame, my son. We did clean it up though and our fellow guests were very understanding and tolerant.
ski holidays
>> Has anyone used these automatic dispensers
We tried to stay in a Formula1 just outside Paris one summer using the automated dispenser. it was 1am when we got there. The English button didn't work so all the text was in French. I couldn't make head nor tail of what it was trying to tell me... but I understood enough to know that it didn't like my credit card... My wife took a look through the doors and saw people trapseing around in their PJs going to the bathroom... and was immediately turned off. So I drove into the centre of Paris to a hotel near the Champs that we'd stayed at a few years earlier... and we booked in at 2am!

Since then, when driving down for skiing, we (as a family) all agree that it is nicer to catch an hour's sleep in the car and continue driving down to the resort rather than "brave" the experience of a F1.
latest report
jamescollings, there was a time when it was always wise to travel with a bunch of credit cards in France, but these days it's generally easier, with universal chip 'n pin. I rarely have fewer than 3 though, one of them French.
Quote:

My wife took a look through the doors and saw people trapseing around in their PJs going to the bathroom..

those were the better class of guest - the others pee in the basin. wink

Off the beaten track (and 1 am at Formule 1 qualifies for the description) it does make life easier if you speak just a bit of French. Imagine a non English-speaking Frenchman trying to find a bed in Redcar at 1 am.
snow report
jamescollings wrote:
>> Has anyone used these automatic dispensers
We tried to stay in a Formula1 just outside Paris one summer using the automated dispenser. it was 1am when we got there. The English button didn't work so all the text was in French. I couldn't make head nor tail of what it was trying to tell me... but I understood enough to know that it didn't like my credit card... My wife took a look through the doors and saw people trapseing around in their PJs going to the bathroom... and was immediately turned off. So I drove into the centre of Paris to a hotel near the Champs that we'd stayed at a few years earlier... and we booked in at 2am!

Since then, when driving down for skiing, we (as a family) all agree that it is nicer to catch an hour's sleep in the car and continue driving down to the resort rather than "brave" the experience of a F1.

I'm comfortable speaking French, and seeing folk in PJs in a hotel that has shared facilities is kinda par for the course. I don't see it as anything that has to be 'braved'. Certainly more civilised than sleeping in the car
ski holidays
pam w, they wouldn't find one in Redcar and the B&B would have locked the door hours ago
ski holidays
Hells Bells, I thought they might have found a bed in redcar at 1:00am...but it might have only been for an hour wink
latest report
holidayloverxx, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Love this post! Very Happy

While nothing beats a 4* hotel (er, except 5*...but you get my drift) like Pam W, Mrs MA and I will use the full range of overnight options (from wild camping on a mountain top (non-ensuite..) to posh hotels) and that includes F1.

In fact we once had an absolute bargain-box ski week at Les Arcs that was based at the Albertville F1 (!!) - just drove to Bourg St M each day. That was a bit of a chore but certainly beat commuting to work. And we saved a bomb by eating and drinking in Albertville.

However, I have mates who have yet to forgive me after I recommended F1 Hotels. One of them later sent me a travel review from the Telegraph or somewhere that included the words: "Formule 1: Renowned as the place in France where travelling salesmen go to masturbate or commit suicide...." Laughing

Delighted to report we have seen no evidence of that - but have shared the breakfast room with a few tradesmen-types..... Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Renowned as the place in France where travelling salesmen go to masturbate or commit suicide....

Laughing

the deaders presumably don't make it to the breakfast room. I have seen some ski families traipsing in with all the gear they don't want to leave in the car. I've seen some with an electric kettle. Personally I CBA though I usually take my laptop in.
snow report
Best past of Premiere Classe in Rennes is the proximity to the chinese buffet!

BB are worth a look- we booked into one in Dijon on Boxing Day after deciding we were too tired to drive all the way to Morzine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy