Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF Megeve touting for business at the London Ski Show

Poster: A snowHead
Megeve is one of the sponsors.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret wrote:
achilles, No my point is that the French trade union is flouting EU law, is protectionist and attempting to retain a monopoly position by unfairly undercutting other businesses through restrictive trade practice and that 90% of British instructors who are licensed and should be able to work within the EU are currently being arrested for plying their trade in competition to the locals. The same union then initiates the arrest of "ski hosts" and SCGB leaders while cynically sending red coated smiling instructors to ply for trade after using such bully boy tactics. They are free to do so but if the lesson buying public understands the situation better they may think twice before booking with the ESF. Spirit of fair play and all that dear boy Smile

You realy are not comparing apples with apples are you?

There is no restriction on fully qualified British or other EU instructors in France?

No French person can do "SKI LEADING" work without full ski instructor or Mountain guide qualification so why should anyone else.

For the same reason why should any non French Ski School be allowed to operate with less (in number) qualified than a French one.

And for those who don't know SBS was breaking numerous other French laws (that they haven't been prosecuted for yet) that if they hadn't been busted for something else.

On another note Megeve are celebrating being the oldest ski school in France and half the instructors involved are BASI qualified brits.

Megeve has at least 10 non ESF ski schools (yes some are 1 or 3 people)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Idris, don't know you and don't want to get into a fight as you come across as a nice fella but in reply...

No restriction on Full certs but there is a restriction on the 90% of Brit instructors who can work in all other EU countries except for France who are flouting freedom of movement legislation and temporary worker mobility. You will say but if we pass a French Test Technique and work only in a French run and owned training centre we can but that is a restriction of trade that SBS won in court several years ago.

French state employees can lead in the mountains including teachers and military, Funny that weeks after arresting ski club and Le Ski leaders the ESF start offering this as a service. Another debate but does it really require a mountain guide to show people where the nice coffee breaks are on marked blue and red runs. (I agree some form of qualification should be required as per a winter leader course)

You missed the part that to operate a "training" school you have to have 10 French qualified instructors, those with recognised and equivalent full qualifications from other EU states don't count. Outrageous...

Right so now SBS is guilty of crimes he hasn't been charged with by the Chamonix Pub kangaroo court...

They are of course able to market themselves and out of the current 17,000 ESF instructors there are perhaps 6 British ISTD's I too would wheel them out for a London Ski Show. But do the skiing public get a real picture of what to expect when they book an ESF instructor in resort. I would suggest that anyone at the Ski Show should be informed and when discussing their needs for instruction in France have some real facts.

I don't know Megeve but I would guess that the ESF now have a majority which is fine and well as an established school but they unfairly compete being able to hire lower paid/ trainee stagiaires and no one seems to get up in arms about that while SBS is vilified for daring to hire lower level Brit instructors within the rights of EC directives, which was upheld after appeal. His current crime was having his valid MoU stamp (a "qualification" agreed by a cartel that is administered by the French trade union) mysteriously pulled prior to his court case due to an "administrative error". Prior to SBS Phil Smith, Hugh Monney etc dared to challenge the French trade union by starting BASS and where also thrown in jail, they are now hailed as the pioneers who secured some compromise on allowing a very small % of us to work without restriction the EU, SBS is pressing for a bigger proportion to have similar rights without fear of jail time and endless court cases and appeals. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You do see some extremely ordinary French teachers out with school classes. I saw one, some years ago, who might have been a terrific skier but was learning to board, out with a group of fairly beginnerish kids. There couldn't have been any question of her helping or teaching the kids - she was just herding them around. They were on beginner slopes and she was just a bit better snowboarder than I am - which means really, really, rubbish. And lots of the teachers you see seem to be OK sort of skiers but absolutely nothing special.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Someone here is being disingenuous to say the least. Having studied the EU law in detail as it is personally relevant to me there is nothing in there that the French are flouting. SBS was and was convicted accordingly.

The 90pc of BASI members have done their qualifications on a casual basis are no where near tthe std of a french trainee who has passed the TT. Those who are the same std can work in France. I think there is sympathy for age allowance for the ET and allowing level 3s which is a seious qualification greater access.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I will quite happily speak to the ESF people at the snow and have always found them to be reasonable and charming.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
They are of course entitled to do that, I am just giving some background so people can make an informed choice and understand some of the issues involved.

Let me provide some more background info

1) We all know Simon Butler lost his last court case.

2) French ski instructors need to pass a Test Technique before they can even start training. They also only get 3 attempts at the Euro Test (within a limited time period). Arguably it is *much* harder for the French ski instructors to become fully qualified than a Brit ? The euro test might be stupidly hard - however it nothing to do with being "anti-british". Keeps the parisian punters out too Wink

3) It wasn't that long ago that SCGB used unqualified reps to guide members off piste in France. They were banned from CH after a fatality in Verbier. Even when "hosting" on piste their reps had minimal formal qualifications or 1st aid experience.

Ski Mottaret - you seem like a nice guy with plenty to contribute.
However the only reason I can see to start this thread is to stir up anti French xenophobia ?
You know as I well as I do there are 2 sides to each story.
So I am sure you won't take offense at others disagreeing with you or providing alternate view points.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is a fantastic debate.

To get the facts straight many stagiares in France START at €37 per hour and get all their in house training for free. The in house training is considerable - much more than you would imagine. The stagiares do not subsidise the ski school - in fact it is the other way around and the ski schools are happy to keep it that way. Yes I DO know - It is a fact. For the rest of the posts here it is just a matter of personal experience and opinion.

BASI aren't Gods and neither are the ESF but neither are too bad.

The ESF are not monsters or perfect.

We are all just ski instructors ESF, BASI, Italian or not.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

3) It wasn't that long ago that SCGB used unqualified reps to guide members off piste in France. They were banned from CH after a fatality in Verbier.

The SCGB isn't banned from CH. A friend of mine is leading in Verbier this season and groups will go both on and off piste. There are many resorts in Switzerland which entertain SCGB leaders.

The same was true of France until this season, pending the current legal situation being ironed out. This season, the club will be represented by Ambassadors in france, who will not lead anyone anywhere
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ALQ wrote:
For those who aren't sure what this is all about, here's some background reading
(who can spot Dadmin?)

That article is about the ski hosting issue, a little off topic. It is IMO quite a biased article. There were many more balanced articles than that doing the rounds last winter. Ironically I have met many British ski instructors who have jumped through the hoops to get where they are and are in quite agreement with "French" view on hosting issue
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ ... I presume SCGB groups will now be with be with a guide / ski instructor when off piste in CH ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ ... I presume SCGB groups will now be with be with a guide / ski instructor when off piste in CH ?

Not as far as I'm aware, no. There were no guides used when I was there last year (except for days where a guide was requested by the group for excusions further afield), and nothing's changed for this year
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He he he...
Turns out that ESF Megeve got a British person to promote them Wink
Oh the irony given the fuss created here over nothing.

"We've heard through the Grapevine that ESF Megève, l'Ecole du Ski Français de Megève were skiing around London yesterday to Celebrate their 70th Birthday and prepare for the SkiandSnowboard.co.uk London Ski Show! Well Done to BASI ISTD Katie for getting involved!"

https://www.facebook.com/BASI.BritishAssociationofSnowsportInstructors/photos/a.175391919157893.37417.171660376197714/838577479505997/?type=1&theater

p.s can you spot the Idris skis ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peanuthead wrote:

That article is about the ski hosting issue, a little off topic. It is IMO quite a biased article. There were many more balanced articles than that doing the rounds last winter. Ironically I have met many British ski instructors who have jumped through the hoops to get where they are and are in quite agreement with "French" view on hosting issue

Sorry BASI L4 instructors who believe that being a glorified human piste map requires a full Eurotest plus L4 tech qualification? Who are these imbeciles lest I ever am tempted to spend any pennies with them

I can see the "Pulling the drawbridge up" point around instructor quals even if it is nakedly self interested but really a sane-minded Brit who believes that TO hosts are taking Euros out of their pocket?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap,

Keep up

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93395&start=300
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes, it's not a pulling up the drawbridge issue as I understand, more a respect that in another country, the laws and values of that country should be accepted, whether or not the individual agrees with them.

I don't think it makes them imbeciles. Everyone is entitled to their opinion without being insulted for it.
ski holidays
feef wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

3) It wasn't that long ago that SCGB used unqualified reps to guide members off piste in France. They were banned from CH after a fatality in Verbier.

The SCGB isn't banned from CH. A friend of mine is leading in Verbier this season and groups will go both on and off piste. There are many resorts in Switzerland which entertain SCGB leaders.

Yes ... the Ski Club of Great Britain's gung-ho tally-ho approach to unqualified leading off the piste will continue, in defiance of all international practice.

You're telling (perhaps unknowingly) literally 'half a truth' here.
The full truth is that two skiers have died on SCGB-rep-led days in Verbier. The first was in 1989. The person involved was Michael Mahaffy, a 24-year-old skier from Aberdeen.

The third known death involving these SCGB-led off-piste activities has never been publicly aired, and concerned a death on a French mountain.
ski holidays
NOTE that a SCGB director - PJSki (Gerry Aitken) - called the above factual information a "rewrite of history" [a 'lie' in other words] on 6 January 2013 ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=360#2189502

Quote:
[quote="PJSki"]
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
MPs response...........try again.

As you wish, but I could hardly be described as 'elected'! I'm pursuing a conventional journalistic agenda, simply trying to honour great commentators and influences such as Sir Arnold Lunn. British skiers have a very interesting historical role, and will continue to do so. You should dig out that article about the SCGB which Adam Ruck wrote in 1999, referred to yesterday [ Sunday Telegraph of 5 Dec 1999, it seems - maybe it's now been scanned to a digital archive.] I don't have that one on file, but remember its message very clearly. Another one, which I do have, was by the distinguished ski writer Doug Sager, published in Skiing UK magazine in its summer 1989 issue. It relates to the death of a 24-year-old skier from Aberdeen, Michael Mahaffy, in Verbier in 1989. The narrative of those articles is a direct trace to what we talk about in 2013.

It was the discussion of off-piste skiing with SCGB reps/leaders that seemed to result in MO Day in 2004, and this issue continues to be the elephant in the room (if the elephant isn't in the powder). The Ski Club of Great Britain was not founded to provide off-piste leading and, as snowHeads has proven, it's not a vital element in the package. The SCGB was founded to establish peer-to-peer communication and fellowship!

It's always fun when the loser rewrites history.

Perhaps Gerry Aitken has now had an opportunity to look at the facts.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 20-10-14 16:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
this thread should be renamed "Roll up, roll up, flog your Dead Horse here?"
snow report
Mmm. The first of the seasons sour grapes are harvested.
Unless he's generated himself a new alter ego, PJSkis not posted since march.
ski holidays
peanuthead wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes, it's not a pulling up the drawbridge issue as I understand, more a respect that in another country, the laws and values of that country should be accepted, whether or not the individual agrees with them.

I don't think it makes them imbeciles. Everyone is entitled to their opinion without being insulted for it.

The ski host issue is really none of a BASI instructor's business unless they share the view that appears to held by certain French individuals that hosted groups are a direct substitute for ski school or that there are material safety issues. If they really believe these things I question their intelligence. Alternatively it is much more plausible that it is politically expedient to align with the French view to ensure enduring good relations with a healthy dose of hardly being harmful to an individual's commercial interests.

I really don't give a rat's ass about SCGB being denied their beanos, but by explicitly supporting applications of the law there is a danger inviduals are aligning themselves with the political purposes behind such application.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

the view that appears to held by certain French individuals that hosted groups are a direct substitute for ski school

I must admit I've not had any ESF tuition for over 20 years, but what I have had in the past amounted to little more than to the experience I've had skiing with a TO host. The only difference was that the nice girl from the TO pushed us a bit harder, spoke better English and forgot the bit about bending your knees.
snow report
feef wrote:
The same was true of France until this season, pending the current legal situation being ironed out. This season, the club will be represented by Ambassadors in france, who will not lead anyone anywhere

Apart from getting a free holiday, what are the "Ambassadors" there to do? Serve crunchy chocolate balls? (sure that jokes been done to death, but not yet in this thread)
snow conditions
Never really had the need for a ski host but the ones I've used have enjoyed but they clearly did not have any qualifications or experience to the extent we had to help some down the mountain and there is no way I would trust them off-piste apart from one guy who actually was a ski instructor laid on by the hotel. Would not say they were dangerous per se but I would certianly make my own decisions rather than rely on them. There is no way they should be going off-piste or leading a group from what I've seen though it was more entertaining than really dangerous.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Let me provide some more background info

1) We all know Simon Butler lost his last court case.

Yes and it is under appeal, all substantive issues to do with qualifications that he has been prosecuted in prior cases were won on appeal. We shall see how it finally plays out.

Haggis_Trap wrote:
2) French ski instructors need to pass a Test Technique before they can even start training. They also only get 3 attempts at the Euro Test (within a limited time period). Arguably it is *much* harder for the French ski instructors to become fully qualified than a Brit ? The euro test might be stupidly hard - however it nothing to do with being "anti-british". Keeps the parisian punters out too Wink

Incorrect, French instructors get two attempts per year and can have a training log for usually 4 seasons so 8 or more attempts. I may be mistaken but I think their association does not allow them to take the ET outside of France unlike the Brits who can have 5 attempts per year in any EU state.

At the last EU Commission meeting of nations who are a part of the Eurogroup (UK included) to discuss making the "common tests" of ET and EMS the law through a delegated act the French Trade Union delegation walked out and sent a threatening letter to all EU instructor associations stating that no changes will be tolerated or they will "strictly apply safety legislation" and in effect throw out all foreign trainees in their system. So we have for a fourth year an extension to the MoU which allows only ISTD instructors the right of establishment, those at L3 who currently should be able to teach and train on a temporary basis have been shafted again. The commission was lead by a Frenchman from the Savioe who has retired this month and the political vibe is that the final version of common test must be voted into law by a majority of EU states and the current illegal gentlemen's agreement between associations will finally come to an end.

Haggis_Trap wrote:

However the only reason I can see to start this thread is to stir up anti French xenophobia ?So I am sure you won't take offense at others disagreeing with you or providing alternate view points.

No offense happy to debate but for about the fourth time it is to show that the French Trade Union who represents the ESF is using bully boy tactics, threats, delays to enacting legislation to retain their control over who is allowed to work as trainees or lower levels in their country which is part of the EU and bound by the same laws we are. Sending the Megeve contingent who were actively involved with the arrest of British instructors is cynical to say the least.
snow conditions
peanuthead wrote:
more a respect that in another country, the laws and values of that country should be accepted, whether or not the individual agrees with them.

I am afraid the French must accept immigrant workers just like the UK does. They just seem to ignore the bits of EU law they don't like, arrest anyone who challenges them, ties them up in court for a few expensive years while playing for time.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:

You missed the part that to operate a "training" school you have to have 10 French qualified instructors, those with recognised and equivalent full qualifications from other EU states don't count. Outrageous...

French qualified in this case means a Carte Profesional, regardless of who you trained with, or who's exams you passed - you would probably need at least one of the 10 to be French to get it registered, don't know about the Savoie, but from asking this if how it would be in the Haute Savoie and Hautes-Alpes, it's down to your Prefectures interpretation of the rules
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
peanuthead wrote:
more a respect that in another country, the laws and values of that country should be accepted, whether or not the individual agrees with them.

I am afraid the French must accept immigrant workers just like the UK does. They just seem to ignore the bits of EU law they don't like, arrest anyone who challenges them, ties them up in court for a few expensive years while playing for time.

On the test technique front, maybe I'm wrong, but if a Polish lawyer lands up in Britain tomorrow I don't think he can practice immediately as a solicitor, can he? Can you imagine the chaos if we could just hop over somewhere and take the easiest equivalent degree going then come back and use it to get into the professions?

On that basis it seems fair to let the French say, 'sure you're qualified, but you'll just need to top it up a bit to work in our system'.

The training schools requirement that the top instructors must be French qualified is harder to justify.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idris, nope only those that have trained through the French system count, not those with equivalence. So a school like NewGen with dozens of carte pros and basi trainers is not allowed to hire "trainees"
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger, There are around 600 professions that are being aligned in the EU, ski instruction being one of them. The intention is that a physio, architect, vet, teachers, mountain guide, etc, who has the relevant quals will be allowed right of establishment and set up permanently in a foreign EU member state. This is what the directive states but importantly there is also provision for trainees and temporary provision of services to cross borders and this is what SBS is fighting for.

There is a European Qualifications Framework that assigns a Level to a qualification. So a polish lawyer with a Msc from Warsaw university could be awarded a EQF Level X which would give him the same rights as an EQF Level X from any other nation, Britain included.

BASI has completed an the EQF mapping for L1 and L2 Alpine instructors and hopes to have all Levels done by year end. The French system I understand has already been graded so hopefully it should be simple to say the an EQF of Level X is required to establish yourself full time in another EU state and that a Level Y you can train and or work on a temporary basis.

I would say that "isn't harder to justify" it is illegal in EU law
ski holidays
skimottaret, I know that's always been a goal and I can see it working for vets, doctors and dentists, as living things are generally the same all over Europe, but given the differences between countries in fields such as accountancy and law I honestly can't see how they can be harmonised. Scottish and English law aren't even 100% the same, how can they be compared to Spanish? I think the French would argue the same about their local territory, ie someone from Manchester doesn't have the knowledge of the alps, its rocks and geography etc to operate safely.

They'd have been a lot better pursuing a line like that than just drawing the wagons around the speed test, but of course where the French definitely shoot themselves in the foot is allowing all these club and school group leaders/instructors who have minimal to zero qualifications but are considered 'safe' nonetheless.

Anyway...
snow conditions
skimottaret, I appreciate that you clearly have a personal axe to grind but your arguments do the debate a disservice. The French are complying with EU law. SB was not. He was tried and convicted under EU law and that has long been the view and one that is supported by BASI. Comparing level 1s and 2s with local French skiers really is not a serious argument. There are plenty of qualified instructors who can work in France and they have not even the common courtesy to learn the local language. There are plenty of valid arguments at the fringe of the debate but xenophobia, fallacious arguments and a lack of understanding for the local system and culture are unlikely to facilitate and address the legitimate concerns such as greater access for levels 3s which has general support.
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger,
Quote:

ie someone from Manchester doesn't have the knowledge of the alps, its rocks and geography etc to operate safely.

OUCH careful us Mancs are a pretty well read and qualified bunch, I actually know Essex boys who are ESF ski instructors and they are not as well qualified as skimottaret, but can be a ski instructor because of the ski resort they were raised in ! I am not getting into the debate but there are issues which are not 100% correct or fair to everyone involved.
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
albinomountainbadger,
Quote:

ie someone from Manchester doesn't have the knowledge of the alps, its rocks and geography etc to operate safely.

OUCH careful us Mancs are a pretty well read and qualified bunch, I actually know Essex boys who are ESF ski instructors and they are not as well qualified as skimottaret, but can be a ski instructor because of the ski resort they were raised in ! I am not getting into the debate but there are issues which are not 100% correct or fair to everyone involved.

ha ha, ok ok but you see what I mean; if someone had to get a taxi in Manc would reason say they should go with a local who grew up driving there or a foreigner with a perfectly legally driving licence but not the same implicit knowledge of UK driving practices and road system?
latest report
albinomountainbadger,
Quote:

ha ha, ok ok but you see what I mean; if someone had to get a taxi

yep agree and you have to look at the classic taxi situation with London Black Cabs, and no one in the UK will argue with the Knowledge I hope?
snow report
livetoski wrote:
albinomountainbadger,
Quote:

yep agree and you have to look at the classic taxi situation with London Black Cabs, and no one in the UK will argue with the Knowledge I hope?

That would be a good stunt by the ESF, get a Parisian taxi driver to challenge the knowledge in court! Laughing
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger wrote:
livetoski wrote:
albinomountainbadger,
Quote:

That would be a good stunt by the ESF, get a Parisian taxi driver to challenge the knowledge in court! Laughing

I thought you could use 'Uber' nowadays and do not require 'the Knowledge'
latest report
stewart woodward wrote:
albinomountainbadger wrote:
livetoski wrote:
albinomountainbadger,
Quote:

I thought you could use 'Uber' nowadays and do not require 'the Knowledge'

Difference in a taxi vs a minicab there perhaps?

You certainly can't in Paris easily, to protect the interests of taxi drivers who went on a series of strikes over the summer a private hire driver now must have a VTC licence which requires attendance at a two month training session, authorisation by the Prefecture and listing on a professional register. The driver must also return to base or go to a designated off road 'waiting' area between jobs, so you can't legally drop someone off and pick up your next client straight afterwards!

It's a perfect example for people who think the French like to make things difficult for foreigners - they make things impossible for themselves first. The VTC licence was previously very easy to obtain and had become quite popular with people trying to earn a few extra quid on the weekends. So naturally the government has now made it unobtainable!
snow conditions
A French person who has newly passed the TT in most cases would not have as much teaching experience or teaching knowledge of a BASI L2 yet they can teach in France. A school teacher in France under certain conditions can teach on the slopes. Yet a BASI ISTD L4 with 9 or more equally qualified mates can not open a training school ?

A lot have mentioned French law well this is not about French law it is about EU law and the French gov with or without the ESF blessing have signed up to EU law, thus the ESF have to abide by it as many company's and organisations have to in this country even if it was to the detriment of their own business.

I believe stds should be kept high but a good instructor is a good instructor no matter where they have come from the only real issues should be about language skills.

The fact that only people who have gone through the French system can open a training school is contrary to EU law about free movement of labour and equivalency recognition.

Re taxis in London I see that more like guiding offpiste you need to know were you are at all times, a ski instructor wanting to teach offpiste in a given resort should take a test locally to see if they do know the area well enough and this goes for every instructor no matter what country they are from and they need to do this for each resort/ski area they wish to teach offpiste at.

Maybe at the ski show we should question their stance as instructors after all they have not been through or passed the UK qualifications ! Are they really qualified over here ? YES ! a ludicrous statement but pretty close to what is being said of some BASI instructors in France by ESF. They would not tolerate us saying it to them never mind not liking it so why should a BASI qualified instructor who has spent many years and a lot of money getting to the level they are at be subject to that by the ESF.
Before I get flamed as having a go at French instructors far from it many have worked just as hard some even harder to get to the position they are in today and full credit to them for all that hard work but please lets see their gov body show that same respect to other instructors.

I am also shocked at the treatment that skimottaret, has been subject to here I know I am still pretty new to this site but I have only ever seen him be helpful to any member something he does not have to do. I do not see him as the type who would be commenting just to drum up business only to highlight an issue.
ski holidays
speed098 wrote:
a ski instructor wanting to teach offpiste in a given resort should take a test locally to see if they do know the area well enough and this goes for every instructor no matter what country they are from and they need to do this for each resort/ski area they wish to teach offpiste at.

That's a good idea, surprised it's not already the case as in many French professions people have to have regional authorisation, meaning it would be impossible to jump from the Jura to the Tarentaise to the Pyrenees as instructors can. My taxi reference was assuming they are teaching in their home resort so have spent the winters watching avalanches and summers hiking and climbing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy