Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
Well had a surprisingly good couple of hours this afternoon. Would not have normally bothered as it was cloudy with weather coming in, but wanted to go up and see.

Took Casse du Bouffe up and skied down to Serre Ratier and did two runs under Foret chair where there was some soft off piste.

Then a couple of soft snow runs off the crete down to Cote Chevalier chair, again some nice soft snow and almost untracked. Then Clot Gauthier chair and back down under that on the main off piste face and by then viz was going with the snow coming in Very Happy

Few more runs in the trees and then took the Casse du Bouffe back down which was not a good move as they were only letting two on at a time and leaving one whole chair free between.

So all in all pistes were in excellent condition though obviously you can't ski all the way down and they are a very long way off getting enough snow to open the main pistes up!!

And.......

Now have the new Pan Tilt and Zoom webcam set up with a number or preset positions !!!!

http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

And.......

Been snowing heavy for almost a couple of hours now Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well unfortunately that snow dried up around 20:30 Sad

And if you look at the Cam you'll see that all the snow on the roofs has gone.

Temps last night rose to +6.5 and then this morning +4.5 and meant to be getting warmer.

Out with the bike me thinks for one of the last rides of the year ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rain this morning with temps at 1400 +8.5 and pretty grim.

Around Noon looked like weather was trying to clear, and roads were drying a wee bit but looking up the valley it was reminiscent of the summer with the omnipresent cloud.

If it was 8.5 here rough calculation would be 2 degrees up at the Col so out with the bike, and twas not a good move. By Pont De l'Alp I was cycling in heavy rain and into a head wind.

At the Col my calculus was right and it was still raining, so just as well didn't bother going up the hill.

By the time I returned home I was very very cold, not so much the temps, but the windchill on a wet body accelerated by descending down, though took it easy as brakes were not working too well rolling eyes

So forecast models differ from the three or four I've been looking at, but one things for sure none of the white stuff on the horizon. Crying or Very sad

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just been informed by my TO that Superdevoluy, where I am booked to arrive this Saturday, will NOT be opening this Saturday (no surprise) so is it worth me & my 2 kids getting the bus & train (& bus again) over to Serre Chevalier to ski there for the odd day? I can't work out from their website how many runs & lifts are open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gary, have a look tomorrow as they update the situation each morning, and show pistes as closed or preparing to open at night. If you are with a TO will they not be bussing you to somewhere with more snow?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quick status on lifts and pistes etc and these numbers* are taken from the daily updates of what lifts and pistes are open, and even though Serre say 70% are open work it out for yourselves.

Lifts 54 of which 25 are open
Pistes 102 of which 42 are open

*I might have missed one or two

I have no idea as to how many people who have their own accommodation will not bother coming up for the holidays due to the conditions, but that could be offset by people coming up from other resorts, will have a better idea tomorrow night when we'll see how many cars are parked up and how many lights are on in the chalets / apartments etc and how many neighbours I'll have Puzzled

But I don't think it will be as extreme as the Morzine / Avoriaz situation

As for this morning, interesting in that going to bed last night temp was 9.5 having risen throughout the day under the cloud, but with a clear sky temps this morning are -1 and looking to be a nice day.

Might go up the hill soon.....................
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had a conversation today with the Lift Pass office re the so called 70% that's open and they said it actually refers to 70% of the top sector rolling eyes

Anyway as it was looking so good weather wise went up the hill and that feckin rain we had yesterday to around 2,500 has totally fecked all the soft snow that was off piste, and the over night freeze made for some knee juddering skiing on the Scott Adventures that I was using today, really should think about a carvin piste ski, say that every year and this could well be the year!

Temps rose quickly and soon sussed that maybe worth investigating some of the areas that we ski in the spring after a few hours of sun in the morning, and that was a great call with some very nice lines, and knees were most grateful.

Back down via Aravet bubble and then up again with my daughter an hour or so later on a three hour pass, and she really enjoyed the pistes but would not come exploring with me to ski the soft snow?

By the afternoon the deckchairs were out and if the weather keeps like this then at least the restauranters will be happy.

Vallons in the afternoon was looking a good option but the only issue was that the link back to Villeneuve is not open so if you ski down to the Vallons chair you cam't get back to Villeneuve, so your only option is to go to Monetier and get the bus back!

They think the link back up on the shitty chair might be open tomorrow. And it makes you think what 1200 Club Med clients are going to do as they can't ski back down and Pontillas is not open, though suspect they might open that up and Club Meds will have to take that lift back down.....

So a few pics from today

Wait and see what tomorrow brings, but as it's probably the last quiet day for a while will probably go back up again around Noon with my daughter again, though have a plan for the morning, though not too sure how that will pan out
Puzzled

And don't forget the new PTZ WebCam we've set up, though is a tad depressing at the moment
http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here you go, latest update, conditions are way better than expected according to friends that are out here for a week, and I agree having skied with them today and my daughter yesterday.

And Club Med are closed, so really makes you think how they have managed the clients who had booked this week at €3,000 and, subject to my French comprehension, New Years week they are closed as well, but I might have got that wrong.

And fingers and legs crossed, possible white stuff next weekend.

Anyway far more here on the blog http://www.stylealtitude.com/xmas-holidays-serre-chevalier.html

and Ski Rando dogs are back on the Mountain Toofy Grin

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, to be fair to the tourist office, the announcement I read DID say that it was 70% of the 'Secteur Haute' not 70% of the whole area.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, much of their social media and banners on their own site never referred to "Secteur Haute" in very much the same way as a page or two back on here you never mentioned it.........

"Serre Chevalier have announced this evening that they will be opening 70% of the ski area on Saturday which is the planned opening date"

And now they are proclaiming that 90% of the resort is open.

But not really an issue as it's way better than expected for many.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So does that mean 90% of 50% or 90% of 70% or 90% of something else?

What %age is the secteur haute? Very Happy

Quite misleading, imvho.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@shockingmoment, agreed. There is a map somewhere, which has been shaded to show the open area. I will try and find the link.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's the SP work it out for yourselves - Briancon sector not a lot open apart from getting over to Chantermerle area, which is somewhat limited in that from S Ratier down is shut, and two of the most popular reds down to S Ratier are closed. Viileneuve not too bad though again from Aravet down too is shut.

Moving over to Villeneuve / Monetier liason, once up to Vallons you go down to Monetier as far as Bacchus and its all closed from there. So back up Yret or Ciboit, Eychauda to go back down Vallons and then to get back to Villeneuve was a bit of a nightmare, skiing over straw laid down en route to get over the rocks / ice to Frejus chair, then once back up there, was the biggest queue of the day on the Cretes drag.

Should also add, if you look at the latest publicity map with the shaded areas that shows all the terrain open off the Eychauda drag, however that is all bone shaking, knee shuddering frozen hard pack shite, and today I was taking people around the most user friendly snow, and should also add in the Monetier sector that I also avoided runs off the Cibouit as they were hard pack and not much fun for some of those with us, so that map is yet more publicity propaganda rolling eyes

And finally ask yourselves if it was all that it was cracked up to be why did Club Med decide to close only ten or so days ago?

Would also explain why there are so few ESF dudes in the Cocoon bar, and I must ask Eric who runs it what the real SP was between the Montgenevre / Serre fall out, as he's probably one of the few who might actually know the real story behind all the Chinesse whispers floating around.

But like I say, the people out that I was showing around had a great day and were well pleased with how much open, but my estimate would be a generous 60% open

Then followed by a very silly apres ski a La Folie Deuce in the Chazelet.

And here's the link to that 90% http://www.serre-chevalier.com/les-pistes-ouvertes-pour-les-vacances/ *

* 90% du domaine d’altitude est ouvert
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As you can see ski lessons are underway Laughing

See forecast now has the possibility of snow now on the Sunday and not the Saturday as of yesterday, so watch that all change again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's all a bit sad really. So many livelihoods depend on a reasonable season and here we are about to commence what should be a very busy time and the truth is that there just isn't enough snow and what there is is not in great condition. Can't blame the resort for trying to talk things up though the information should be factually accurate and not misleading.

We took a jaunt up to Les Fonts today. Everything south facing was bare of snow below about 2200m. The north facing slopes, like Pic Lombard, were reasonably well covered but the condition of the snow was bad. Cruddy and uneven for the most part. We started out towards the Col de Peas but turned back after 30 mins or so.

Walking with snow shoes from now on me thinks... Sad
snow conditions
This is the page with the shaded map of open areas and pistes. http://www.serre-chevalier.com/les-pistes-ouvertes-pour-les-vacances/
latest report
@Kevin Byrne, we were once there at half-term, long before we got the apartment (maybe 2002?) and snow at Feb half-term was abysmal. Montgenevre had 1m during the week, we only had about 10cm. Fingers crossed for the snow to come after Christmas.
snow conditions
Been really warm the last few days and again today, cannons have been working which is good news.

I passed on going up yesterday, and friends out had a morning session with Darren Turner which they raved about.

I'm picking the OH and my other daughter up from Turin Xmas Eve, so I'm going to leave the van at Caselle and then take the train into Turin with my other daughter to explore the piazzas, and have a great long list from one of my Italian neighbours as to what to see and do, and have to say quite looking forward to it.

Might go back up La Gardiole today, but much later hoping the snow will have softened up.

Off to the super market(s) now.

And must not get too excited as if this doesn't come then looks like more sunshine for the week after.........

snow conditions
Well strategy of going up later (Noon) paid off and descent down from La Gardiole was very sweet at times, in fact could have gone an hour later and would have had more options.

Was almost busy up there with loads of groups of walkers below the snowline and other groups on snow shoes above the snow line.

Was chatting to a guide who at the bottom came over to ask about the dogs, and he found some very good snow on the ski route up Le Grand Area, he left at 10.00 and he commended my strategy of going at Noon, so felt quite chuffed with that.

This link is to a super wide panoramic shot I took looking Northwards into Nevache and then round to the far left of picture you can see Dome du Monetier in the background

Friends have gone over to Sestrierre today so will report back on that as to how they got on.

See the forecast has changed again with snow starting on Sat again.............
ski holidays
My ex is out in Villeneuve with my daughter this week, say hello if you bump into her!

She's the one with the really naggy voice..........................
snow conditions
edit:
My ex has the naggy voice, not my daughter Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@KenX, when are you out ?
snow report
21st Feb with Snowheads! See you then Smile
After that, don't know yet, still waiting on our house here to sell.................
ski holidays
@KenX, I'm away that week on the SIGB ski test in Kutai wearing my Style Altitude hat, and it's a feckin long drive from here!

Would seem that Club Med is now open judging by the amount of cars in the car park and little ones on the baby slope down from it ??

Off to Turin for the day for some pizza in the piazzas.

Ciao
latest report
Heard earlier today from a permanent local that things looking better from this weekend. Four weeks is a long time in the mountains....hoping for steady improvements before we arrive snowHead
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, me too snowHead Does that mean you are sorted then?
snow report
Hells Bells, it does indeed snowHead Opted for SC apartment in Chantemerle....looking forward to seeing you guys Toofy Grin
latest report
@Cacciatore, and you too.
Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks to Gavin's suggestion we took a trip up La Gardiole today. Left the Granon Road at 12 noon at 2170m straight onto the snow. Started down at 2 pm. Snow near the top was excellent but lower down where the freeze thaw cycle was more evident, the snow remained icy and bone shaking. Not complaining. Considering the conditions generally this was a peach of a day. Quite a few people about. More snow shoes than skis.

Now, about that Turkey...
snow report
@Kevin Byrne, it's a great up there & from where you parked there is the Grand Area as well.

I love traversing across finding some spring, take a line down that then keep doing more of the same. Need to stay on steeper stuff this time of year as sun is low and not strong so where in Spring you would expect to have transformed now its still frozen.

I'm Turin airport waiting for Elaine flight delayed nigh on two hours won't be back on SC till 22.00 .

Great afternoon in Turin though really easy to get in from airport, beautiful city.

Food market was amazing.
snow report
Merry Christmas to you all from a windy valley in SC.

Walking back last night circa 12:30 am temps were minus 4 and then this morning with the breeze and more cloud cover than of late temps are already +5.5 !

Game plan today is piste cruising meeting friends at Cafe Soleil then ski around before meeting others at L'Echaillon then back to try and work out how to cook Turkey and everything.........

So forecast has changed yet again, with the snow forecast to be arriving even earlier now.

snow report
Happy Christmas all you Snowheads. Looks like the post Christmas week will be blessed with some new snow. We're leaving early Saturday so going the snow holds off till 6 am or so.

Today we went up from the Lauteret to the Col De Galibier. Stopped about 100m below where it begins to level out. Followed the old road route. Snow was good high up. Low down the challenge was to ski back without wrecking the skis. Surprisingly it is possible to ski to the car. About 2 hours up and 30 mins down. 500m of gain. A nice wee tour.
latest report
Merry Christmas snowHead
latest report
Pleasant day yesterday en famille up the hill which was a first for us on Christmas Day, and not at all busy. Very pleasant in the Echallion and then a wee bit more manic down at the Chazelay.

So all those that are going back tomorrow like @Kevin Byrne, are getting a tad concerned as when to leave to avoid the worst of the weather.

I'm dropping my daughter off at the damn as she's booked Ben's Bus (09.50) to Grenoble then on to Tignes, so I'll be leaving here 08:30 and will take my gear with me as if they close the Col I'll stay in La Grave and ski there Cool

So watch the WebCam tomorrow and see the depth of snow building up on the bird table in the garden.

snow report
Haha, like the 1200to1500 description.......
snow report
Just noticed this Laughing
snow report
Thanks for the latest weather Gav. Guess we'll have to keep an eye on things from midnight on. That or go early and get some shut-eye in the airport.

Last outing today. Another short tour up from the Lauteret into the Vallon de Roche Noire. Used the road to the col de Galibier for some of it. Lovely to be out. Turned round soon after the hairpin on the road. About 3.5 km and about 400m. We'd never been up that valley. The Pic de Trois Eveches is the main target up there but lots of other easier options. One to come back to.

So that's it til end Jan. Hopefully normal service will be restored by then, beginning with tomorrow dump.

Enjoy....
snow report
Big effort required but managed to get my daughters out for a very small tour, not quite dragging kicking and screaming but not far off at times rolling eyes

But even though the snow on the descent was shite and we only went up about 150m, one of them really fell for it, so one out of two not too bad!

That said it was me who put the skins on and took them off and OH went with the snowboard, but they did really appreciate it, and best of all did not have to buy two ski passes Cool

snow conditions
Dual post I know, but for those who have not read the Snow Maggeddon Thread - here's what happened today..........

Up early at 06:00 to see heavy snow falling, had to drop daughter off at Lac du Chambon dam bottom of Deux Alpes for a Bens Bus to Grenoble Airport departing 09:50

Left Serre at 07:30 and not a lot on the road, went pass numerous people with chains, but made good progress, only hampered by wind screen wipers freezing resulting in bad viz through windscreen.

3km from Col behind snow plough, over Col and feckin Belgian in a giant motor home sans chains going down at 5kph. Plough stopped behind him and I went pass, on and through La Grave and made it to the dam at 09:00 so still a long time.

Waited for a while but no bus, daughter rang up Bens Buses who advised her would only be twenty of so mins, so I said my goodbyes as I could see grid lock on the way.

Sure enough was looking bad as I headed back up towards the Col, numerous idiots every where, chains and socks coming off. Most of the time I could overtake though still had probs with frozen windscreen / wipers along with many others, this could well have been one of the major issues today and not just the snow!

Outside Monetier, one car in a ditch (photo to follow) and major gridlock, did think of going to the lift station and skiing home from there but suspected link not open.

Eventually home by around 11:30 to hear from my daughter that the bus turned up and a hour and a half late, and her poor feet were frozen, though I did tell her t wear her ski boots just in case!

So out up the hill with my mate to ski the pow - and all going well..................................

Then once back down after some nice lines (more photos to follow) went to the Cocoon bar and it was all going off with the main man from the ESF opening and spraying champagne over everyone as it was a "snow party" to celebrate the snow!

Dogs liked it licking it up Smile

Then the phone rang, my daughter, at Grenoble airport, Bens Buses were not running the bus to Tignes and would take her into Grenoble where she would have to find a hotel, and that was that, and no buses tomorrow to Tignes!

We then met a mate who said he was picking his sons up at the airport tomorrow, and that he could take Loulou back to Serre, so we told her that it would probably be best to crash the night in the airport, which actually she thought was better than chancing finding a hotel in Grenoble.

Ironically my brother who lives close to the airport is in the UK visiting my parents, and my OH had an idea to ring his ex wife who I thought was in Hong Kong visisting her daughter and new born, but hey ho the phone answered and she's on her way to get my daughter and take her back to Grenoble where she'll spend the night and then take her back to the airport in the morning.

But why do I suspect that this is not the end of the story..............

Have to say not too impressed with Bens Buses, do know that these were very difficult times but to leave people totally stranded, but it is the worst transfer day in living memory!

And sorry should have added, by far the worst drivers out on the roads today were Belgians!!!!!!!!!!

This was the idiot (Belgian) in the motor home sans chains trying to drive down from the Col

Just outside of Monetier, love to know what his FaceBook status was / is Smile

And then we went up the hill Smile

snow report
Hey ho like they say a picture paints a thousand words, so here's three thousand Cool

OH shredding after first hike..........

OH shredding after the second hike.........

Did get very skied out quite quickly, there are a lot of skiers out who are not averse to a quick hike and the like.

At the lifts it's very noticeable to see that most are not on hire skis and teenager's with wealthy parents on rockered DPS skis which retail at circa €1,250.

Was getting very busy by the time we came down around Noon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy