Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, Do it, you know it makes sense Very Happy
Oh, and told you there was gravel in there.........
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well yesterday, Saturday was fairly wet n'miserable all day, with cloud hanging in the valley at around 1600m and on and off heavy rain. But legs needed a rest anyway.

Then in the afternoon decided to service some skis!

Sunday as forecast awoke to a beautiful day all be it temps in single figs, but they quickly rose and then out on the Cross Dresser to do some roads and trails above where KenX will eventually be living, and as you can see not bad countryside Cool

This is a nice shot of the off piste below Rocher Blanc where we skin up to from Les Combes

Summer village of Ratière where there must have been around 50 people attending a ceremony outside the Chapel

Looking back across to Saint-Martin-de-Queyrières

https://www.strava.com/activities/359371969

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 2-08-15 19:51; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice one Gav!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice ride up a different route to Serre Ratier from Chantermerle with les chiens via Le Rocher Noir and Les Eduits below Aiguillette pistes. There's actually an interesting traverse to Puy St Pierre you can take, but as I had the dogs going all the way to Briancon was not an option.

Very hot today and good thing about the route was that there was loads of water for the dogs, though that didn't stop Beanie from jumping in the fountain!

Season Ski Pass Update
Went to the lift office to sort passes out, hoping that Kim was working in Chantermerle, but alas no.

Prior to going we'd decided on the basic Saison Evasion, but once in the office I didn't quite realise that all the various options were on top of the base price of €664 - having both daughters coming out was interested in the 5 x 50% off day tickets - but that was €100 on top of the €664 and then the summer lift pass was an additional €30 - so we're up to nigh on €800.

The Serre Che addict pass is €839 and that has all the above included plus more like 25% off La Grave, that's if it's running.

I then started to work out the maths and then I was told, that if the Tunnel problem is not sorted by 4th Jan 2016 you get a €94 rebate - so then it's a no brainer to go for the Addict pass.

http://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/winter/ski-area/skipass/season-passes/
In case the road between the Briançonnais and the Oisans has not been re-opened at January 4th 2016, SCV Domaine Skiable commits itself to compensate skiers who have bought a SerreCheAddict Season with a repayment within two months following the end of the season:

I also was able to pay in four installments which I know could work against me depending on the exchange rate, but there again I'm not paying nigh on €1700 in one hit.

I then went into the Tourist Office and the girl working there I happen to know and we talked about the Frejus tickets - and it's all very simple as she explained. "you give me €10.20 and I give you a ticket" though only for Class 1 vehicles (cars).

So looks like I'm going to be sending some via the post this season
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Were told the winter prices will be slightly higher (around 12€) and not to order any for travel after 1st September, as they are putting different ordering arrangements in place.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and thanks for the heads up re the passes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, doooooh that figures, should have told her I was talking about the winter season, as I thought she must have realised that!

You would have thought in normal circumstances, she would have asked the question, "Is it the Summer or the Winter that you want to talk about as there will be different prices?"

Mind you I'm pretty sure that she knew I was talking about the winter rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ta for the heads-up as well! Have to work out which works best for us now......
Re the traverse from Chantemerle to Briancon through the Meleze forest, we did that last year and it's a really nice run Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hear the emergency "road" on the left bank of Chambon should be ready by October, as I stated previously think this can only be for residents of LG & Villar D'Arene and not for Joe Public, as there's a wee bit more to building a main stream road, though do hope that it's not a ruse that the lift office in Serre will use to say that there is a road opened and "we're not going to reimburse you".

Very very sad to be packing up to head back to the UK, though main road into Briancon today circa 16:00 was on a par with the traffic you get in high season, almost, and Center Commercial was as busy as February, though exaggerated by every one being outside.

So hopefully will be back in Sept as I'm not too sure about Kite Surfing trips to Egypt!

So KenX if that's the case, then if you need anything brought out from the UK (within reason Smile ) let me know.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hope to see you in Sept! I'm actually driving back to the UK mid-Sept to go to my daughter's university graduation and also to sell our UK car, then flying back, so can pick up Marmite, Branston etc!!!
Actually joking about the food, there's nothing we miss out here so can travel light on the way back Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@KenX, the only thing we ever bring out from the UK is teabags.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, and less than 4 months till the ski season starts (not that I'm counting )
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think we'll be out again in October, couldn't manage to sort it for any earlier dates.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, many talk about the late week of October, can't remember the name something like Fisson - when they put flowers on the graves, think it ties in with our UK half term, and a few places open up for that week.

End of Oct bit too close to Dec me thinks Cool

@KenX, I'll keep in contact if we do drive out !!!
latest report
@Weathercam, it is Toussaint (All Saint's) which is a public holiday on Nov 1st where families visit their dead rellies and put chrysanthemum on the graves. We've been out then on many occasions and had everything from snow to temps in the mid 20s all in the same week. It is usually great walking weather and we do the house jobs on the crap ones. Some of the places open as the kids are off school for 2 weeks. We've got paying guests in the apartment until the end of September, so can't come out any earlier even if we'd been able to.
latest report
Good article here http://www.skipass.com/news/121190-la-grave-chambon-etat-des-lieux.html

More about the road on the other side of the lake - still can't see this being open to the general public etc in the winter, going to be interesting to see how it pans out - suppose can be no more dangerous / exposed than many other single track mountain roads etc
latest report
I'm going for the full monty lift pass, not sure though if they'll wriggle out of the refund if they open the forest road?
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Nice ride up a different route to Serre Ratier from Chantermerle with les chiens via Le Rocher Noir and Les Eduits below Aiguillette pistes. There's actually an interesting traverse to Puy St Pierre you can take, but as I had the dogs going all the way to Briancon was not an option.

Did the traverse on MTB again today with LynnX, hard climb up to Les Eduits de Chantermerle (around 400m ascent) , but afterwards a great descent down through Puy St Pierre to Briancon!
Came across the same little chapel in Les Queyrelles we found last year, took a couple of pics this time:

Then down the side of the chapel on a nice bit of singletrack by a canal, stopping along the way to admire a chamois surveying his terrain, top right of pic:

snow conditions
@KenX, sorry to spoil your Attenborough moment, but they are often there, had me fooled the first time I saw them too, they are not chamois but a herd of goats rolling eyes

I too probably posted some photos on here when I first saw them.

If you continue on the road to Puy Chalvin that's how you can get to Les Combes where you can park up and do a nice walk up the valley which is off the back of Sere Chevalier when you come out of the summer cable car.

What's the weather been like there so far this week?

My mate is climbing this week though the guide, who lives in LG suggested Dolomites on the basis of the forecast being bad for this week in both Southern & Northern Alps.
ski holidays
Haha, too far to really see what it was!
Weather's been a bit changeable, but been out on the bikes in the sun every day bar Sunday which was pants........
Got my new DH bike now, loving it in the bike park:)
snow report
@KenX, don't go breaking any bones by not acting your age Toofy Grin
latest report
Never acted my age and don't intend to start now Laughing
snow report
@KenX, Very Happy
snow conditions
On another note, asked at the lift pass office if the insurance included in the Addict pass was valid off-piste, they said no, confirmed by an email response from the insurance company themselves after I enquired.......
Probably still go with the Addict pass as the other add-ons make it worthwhile
latest report
@KenX, join the local CAF in Briancon - Mr & Mrs membership inc insurance off piste anyway sans guide very reasonable and valid for all Europe, but thought best for France as no hassle.

You can go down to their office which is open most week days I think from 17:00 6 Avenue René Froger

But you will need a Doctors letter to say that you have no medical conditions as per a lot of French clubs / races / events though when we renewed online last year was not required, again.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@44.8964969,6.6311888,3a,75y,64.21h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szPode8LBlyTozhnfkJX-0Q!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DzPode8LBlyTozhnfkJX-0Q%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D100%26h%3D80%26yaw%3D55.698498%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656
snow conditions
CAF looks good, they not only cover off-piste but also mtb!
Also it would be good to get involved on a local basis for ski touring, off-piste etc so will get a doctors cert and get signed up Very Happy
snow report
Yes I forgot about MTB they do quite a few sorties in the summer months I think?

Two seasons back I did a few tours with them and be warned pace is pretty quick going up though have to say none too brilliant on the descent which is so often the way with French club tourers.

Last season didn't do any tours with them as snow was so dire at lower altitude for touring and we did our own thing.

Did turn up for one tour but it was cancelled for whatever reason, but I went and did the route they were proposing and that's when I hooked up with a local from Nevache who again tore my legs off but ended up finding a great route above Val des Pres and Chalets de Granon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This has an amusing start - local Serre Chevalier snow boarder Olympic gold medal wining hero Pierre Vaultier

http://youtube.com/v/ZHTkLKWMjpY
snow report
2016 season lift pass bought, yeah baby....... Very Happy
ski holidays
@KenX, just done ours too. 5 weeks in total next winter should make it worthwhile.
snow report
@Hells Bells, Clearly it will @ €245 for 6 days (normal price) Very Happy
Which did you go for, I went for the addict as the extras are a no-brainer for what we'll be doing?
snow report
@KenX, we decided to go for that too, despite some of those extras being available on the standard pass last year at a much lower price. Kids will probably come out at some point, so can use the half-price days as well as the euros we have saved up on the Pacti'Cimes card.
ski holidays
and so it is probably time to start the 15/16 thread wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy