Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Hells Bells, that's what we're thinking - bit of a mockery saying un limited Deux Alpes when you can't get there !!

We did use the free days and I think they were giving 50% of five free days.

Seem to recall the difference in prices meant we could still do three or four days in Via Lattea anyway

@davidof, I don't know where you heard that, but last Fri I was with my friends who run the Edelweiss in La Grave and no mention was made of a road on the other side at all!

And I'm amazed that the Geologists are going down that route again. Remember how they were almost predicting to the hour when it was to slide a couple of weeks back and how wrong they were then.

We were joking today about how some locals will probably blast it, as would imagine would not be too difficult to source the necessary from some empathetic pisteurs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, we normally use some of the free days , usually when we're out in March but not this year. Didn't use the hot baths freebies (meant to last week but too bloody warm, needed an ice bath not a hot bath) . Day passes for friends were used though. I'll have to look as we will be doing all 5 weeks in Serre Che next winter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:

We were joking today about how some locals will probably blast it, as would imagine would not be too difficult to source the necessary from some empathetic pisteurs.

if they blast the slide it will no longer be considered as a natural disaster and there won't be any compensation, so not a good idea. The geologists say blasting would make things worse as it would destabilize more of the rock. Better to let it slide and settle naturally.

The Helicopter airbridge for locals is scheduled to continue for another 10 days and no, they won't take bikes. Happy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, they were saying that blasting is now the only option and that it would now be considered necessary as part of a natural disaster, if that makes sense rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:

@davidof, I don't know where you heard that, but last Fri I was with my friends who run the Edelweiss in La Grave and no mention was made of a road on the other side at all!

The work has already started. On Friday the prefect of the Isere allowed work to restart following suspension due to the threat of landslide into the lake. According to Mr Barbier, president of the Isere department work will restart tomorrow. The work concerns widening and surfacing the track on the left side of the lake and extending the road to le Cuculet. They still claim the link will be open for November.

The boats have been removed from the lake now.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, I think you might find that the route they are trying to open will be for the inhabitants of La Grave & Villard D'arene (and not for general traffic) as they need to try and make it easier for them when the heli commute stops - the other hike over was just too much for many to do on a daily basis.

You just can't suddenly build a major road with out surveys / tenders etc etc

I'm back over there next week putting a webcam in (hopefully) so will find out the latest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could ride your cross bike down the road and see how they are getting on.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I write this it's tipping down with rain here, the first rain in the 34 days we've been here.....
Still, at least it'll water the downhill piste for me tomorrow!
On another note, I wonder if this downpour will have any effect at La Grave?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KenX, I bet it is a relief to many to get that rain after more than 34 days. It was wet here this morning but had already stopped raining by the time I got up, and it has been dry all day. So blooming cold though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got dragged up by the OH for an early run up to Frejus, except I was on the bike, but were the legs still fecked or what, and managed to fall off at nigh on zero miles an hour.

We were very graciously greeted at the Pi Mia by the lady proprietor who exalted the OH's run and her hubby is an old guide and just loves the dogs, but so quiet up there!

Dogs did the descent with me and were well tired by the end.

And as KenX mentioned we had a fair storm going on up here with loads of thunder and rain. Think temps mid afternoon hit the hottest of the stay so far!

Semi tempted to go and take a look at the tour, but I just might make do with the ITV4 live coverage rolling eyes

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another hike done from the bucket list. The summer village of Le Melezin above Briancon with a fair few storms kicking off!

And KenX phenomenal MTB downhill ride from the village with berms a plenty !!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/351664503

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last big hike with the OH as she goes back to the UK tomorrow Crying or Very sad

Parked up at Les Guibertes and hiked up along the gorge which was damn steep eventually hooking up with the path up to the Col du Grand Pre.

This is a favorite off piste route back down to Monetier from Cucumelle and we were able to suss out a few options, though if you were to make a mistake would be a long hike back out.

Once up at the Col (below Cucumelle) it was a lovely hike back down to Pi Mia for lunch at Frejus where my bro had kindly driven up to.

Looking down to Monetier with Vallon de la Moulette in the background

This is a cracking line on skis!

Atop the Col

Had more rain this afternoon, just as I was cycling back up to Guibertes to get the van.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Below is a translation of the email sent out last week as to how to draw attention to the "plight" of La Grave etc by disrupting tomorrows stage of the TDF.

And this is the FaceBook Page for the Naufragés du Chambon https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naufrag%C3%A9s-du-Chambon/1656117354624343?fref=nf

The Collective after hearing the legitimate discontent of the people are tired of waiting and exasperated by the current deadlock, calls for General Mobilization against the inaction of the authorities since the closure of the tunnel Chambon.
All the forces of our valleys are invited to listen urgently to the punch operation that will take place to mark the passage of the Tour de France in Bourg d'Oisans Saturday, July 25.

We ask for more than 3 months and a two-lane road, which is the only possibility to restore an economically viable traffic in the valley but the government remains deaf to our calls. The site is manageable, just a strong will to carry out this project, we ask the government again to assume their charge against populations.
It's time to be heard loud and clear our voices so that our despair howling sounds to the gates of Matignon.

A public meeting will be held in the square opposite the desk guides to define the terms of our attack against the tour stop, it will take place Friday, July 17 at 19:00.

The Collective regret the indifference of the direction of the turn and lack of solidarity with the people affected by the closure of a road on which large hours of cycling have been written, including the Col du Galibier. The residents of Le Chambon regrets the lack of turn in their village this year and demonstrates their strong commitment to this popular event, which is both a showcase for our valley and exceptional playground for amateur and professional cyclists.
A friendly wink to our affected population would be appreciated at its true value, as may be near a mini report in the villages that the riders would normally cross.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back over to Italy yesterday on the advice of a local who recommended the route knowing what bike I was going to use.

Again did question why on earth I was on the road on a Sunday as it was obvious the Italians were evacuating the metropoli en masse.

I parked up in Oulx which had a great buzz with loads of people walking around, and got the bike out of the van and found the little road I had to take.

Was a tad nervous that there would be many cars and motobikes on the same route but it was not too bad.

I was told how it was going to be a very scenic climb and that was so true.

The first 7km was tarmac and the remaining 5km off road, but not too gnarly.

At the end of the tarmac section at the village of Vazon there were many cars parked, and in the village was a superb looking refuge / restaurant La Chardousë http://www.rifugiolachardouse.it/en/ which was where I suspected many of the occupants of the cars were.

So a great location to visit from here in Serre which you can drive to and then walk from there. I'll definitely be paying a visit to, especially if they are open in the winter as ski touring terrain looks good with amazing larch forests.

Climbing up there were great view across to Sauze D'Oulx and the top runs of Sestriere. I know that there are two big off piste descents down to the road from atop Sestriere as when we were with a guide he suggested it to finish the day off but a few of us by then were already finished off, and I always regret not having done it as conditions have to be excellent to ski all the way down.

For those that know the Cesana / Oulx road one of the descents comes out at the tiny little wooden shack that is a pizzeria a couple of km up from Oulx.

The route takes you up to the Madonna del Cotolivier a lovely chapel at the summit. Climb was just over a 1,000m vertical from Oulx.

This is the panorama from the Chapel

This is the actual full size panorama photo http://stylealtitude.com/images/cot_oliviere_panorama.jpg which is well worth a look and take up to actual size (click the mag glass after it's downloaded).

And hopefully, plan for tomorrow is that I'll make it to the top of this - Mont Chaberton - left of center

And this is good giving you an idea of the walks / trails inc Mont Chaberton, though the descent I'll be taking is down of the back and down into Claviere.

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More movement on the mountain above the Tunnel du Chambon over the weekend, and I've had a reply from the tourist office regarding the tolls for the Frejus tunnel. Seem easy enough to obtain if you can either call into the office or send a cheque and SAE, along with proof that you are renting accommodation or have a second home.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, seems good news, except I can see that it's muggins that's going to have to sort this out for various mates coming out next season rolling eyes

I was planning to go down for a face to face anyway at the TO along with a visit to the lift office to determine best option(s) for next season before I leave, whenever that might be Puzzled

Prime Minister visited La Grave Friday http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/07/25/tunnel-du-chambon-valls-face-aux-sinistres-photos for some willy waving.....

Friends FaceBook is also quite a good source of what's happening (or what is not happening) https://www.facebook.com/AubergeEdelweiss?fref=ts
snow report
It looks like the long awaited big slide is about to happen: http://www.lemedia05.com/tag/tunnel-du-chambon/
ski holidays
@Weathercam, some wonderful photos up there. snowHead
latest report
@Weathercam, yes, I have to sort this out for my sister who is coming out for 2 weeks at the end of August too.
ski holidays
At least there is some good news that has come from this, and that is the sleeper train will continue to run.
ski holidays
Helicopter video of the tunnel du chambon hillside taken on Monday after 200,000 cubic metres of land have slipped in the last 3 days: http://m.france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/isere/le-survol-du-chambon-en-helico-apres-l-effondrement-777959.html#xtref=http://m.facebook.com
snow conditions
Looks like the Geologists called it right the second time then.
ski holidays
Plenty more to come then..........
ski holidays
Bonkers day!

The summit has been on my bucket list for a long time, the Fortress in the Clouds - Mont Chaberton at 3,131m.

The history of the fortress is fascinating and there was a military road up to it but over the years the upper elevations at times are no more than a goat track. There's more about the history of the fortress here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Chaberton from here the Italians were shelling Briancon.

I parked up at Fenils at 1150 so had nigh on 2,000m to climb, first thousand was not too bad but then the terrain became really technical and sketchy, for most I ended up walking and there were some very steep big drops which I didn't fancy falling down.

The final climb up to the Fortress from the Col had me really questioning what I was doing up there, or how I was going to manage the descent. Was probably the equivalent of a piste skier tackling La Grave on a big day without a guide* rolling eyes

* bit of an exaggeration

So some pics

View from the bottom

You can make out the turrets of the fortress

Zoomed in on them

No fall zone

At the Col still 2.5km and 400m

View down to Sans Sicario next to Sauze D'oulx and Sestrierre

Path down, if I wiped out and fell then the old defenses and barbed wire would break my fall Puzzled

There's no way I would do it again on a bike, yes I'd hike up from Montgenevre / Claviere at 1850 but a big No to a bike.

Strava log here https://www.strava.com/activities/355866459
snow report
That must have been a bleak posting. Was they're anyone else up there on a bike?
snow conditions
Nobody else daft enough Laughing
snow report
@KenX, Laughing Laughing
snow report
@stevew, three young dudes (circa 60kg) very adept MTB skills uber light single front chainset hard tails, then around four or five others who I passed on the way up, think I was the only idiot to go back down the French side.

What was amazing was the number of walkers, some in quite large groups, all coming up from the French side.

This was by no means an easy hike yet there were people of all ages, shapes and sizes going up, was so good to see. Though presume the likes of Ben Nevis and Snowdon on a superb summer's day in high season are just, or even a lot more busy?

I saw one group going up led by a monk, bet he was saying his prayers as I was coming down towards him Smile

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I promised my brother to go up the hill and look for some sun glasses that his lady left (she thinks) by the side of a stream, so decided to "cheat" and take the Casse du Boeuff chair up.

Then some lovely gravel trails down to the Echaillon then back tracking on down to Frejus, no sign of the glasses either by the stream or in Pi Mai.

Very nice start to the day, though weather has been very overcast today, but been working so no great shakes, will finally take the dogs out for a walk / pero laters.

Though they do their own thing during the day in and out of the apartment through the fly curtain.

What my Cross Dresser is made for................
ski holidays
@Weathercam, You up for the traverse from the top of the Serre Chevalier cable car (summer lift) over the Col de la Cucumelle and down to Monetier? (33 on the summer VTT map)
You owe me one after taking me up the Col du Granon on my full suss MTB!!!
snow conditions
Oh fecking hell, why aren't I out there Sad
snow conditions
@KenX, no probs with that (though might have to hire a bike), the VTT map doesn't quite show what's involved, it's not quite a simple traverse, there's a fair amount of climbing involved in that route getting back atop to where the old Balme lift used to be, and prior to that up from Clot Gauthieur as you have to drop down from the Cable Car station, but interested to see how and where it goes, unless I'm totally wrong rolling eyes

My mates when they were out wanted to do it, but I advised them against it as it was only a few days before the Etape plus they did not know the area.

Still on for Friday to do that route round the back of your new abode, as I was chatting to a local who knows the route up to Ratier but hadn't done the route back down going across below the Col de la Trancoulette.

Call you tomorrow as I'm not doing LG, maybe going to hike with the dogs up Grand Pre depending on work.....
snow report
So, OH and I rode up to Plampinet today, about 1/2 way up to Nevache in the Vallee de Claree, lovely chapel there:

Took the road up and rode down the summer walking path by the river:

Told Lynn it was a piece of cake, forgot about the 30m high rockfall we came across 1/2 way down.......

Met up with a few guys in La Vachette on the way back who'd just done the bike park in Bardonnechia, reckoned it was great so will have to try that!
snow report
Hike with Les Chiens above Frejus on an off piste recce.

I was sort of aiming for the vallons de la Tête du Grand Pré, was pretty damn steep at times and with no paths to follow was quite hard work with a fair amount of scrambling.

I then clocked a Cross at the top of a wee summit, so that was my target. Only trouble was not too sure how to get up there. In the end had to leave the poles and do a little bit of climbing lifting and pushing the dogs above me (just as well I have small dogs) to get up there.

Once at the mini summit I sussed how you would normally access it from the vallons!

I spent a fair while walking around up there, and came over one ledge to surprise myself and the stag deer in front of me!

Descent down was a similar line that I skied a few seasons back, and out from under a bush sprung a deer as I was almost on top of her, luckily the dogs missed it as the stupid one would have attempted to chase after and would probably get lost, which she did do a couple of times after other creatures but I now carry a shrill whistle and she eventually came back, only worry is that she might go over a ledge and have trouble getting back up which is what we think happened last year when she was missing for a good half hour and came back absolutely shattered.

Some four and a half hours and over a 1,000m of vertical.

This is the Croix du Téa

And looking back up the vallons de la Tête du Grand Pré with Cucumelle and the Dome du Monetier in the back ground

And then looking down to Frejus - and to the left of the village you can just about make out where they are, I presume, widening the piste at a real bad bottle neck just above the Pontillas lift and the shitty chair. Good that they are doing something as can be really very bad in that short stretch especially as it's the only route down for many.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 30-07-15 18:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Weathercam, Should be up for the traverse tomorrow so long as I get back from Guillestre by middayish!
snow conditions
@KenX, OK I'll see if I can suss a half day hire out then - I was trying to make the traverse out from where I was today!

Ironically came across this photo yesterday of people queuing up to get atop Snowdon after the comments I made about how busy it might be in the UK Shocked

ski holidays
So today Weathercam and I did an interesting traverse from the top of the Casse du Boeuf chair in Villeneuve, roughly following the contours to the little hut at the top of Roche Gauthier which those who have done the SOPB will recognise as the climb up from the top of the Col de la Cucumelle we've done several times (normally rat-tracked) and then following the downhill run past Bachas chair and on down towards Monetier.......
The hut is on the left tucked round the corner from the rocks on the skyline in the centre:

At the hut, looking down toward the Col de La Cucumelle, it wasn't any easier getting there on a bike!

And on down to Monetier on the DH trail:

Thanks to Weathercam for the pics and company Smile
snow report
Strava for the geeks:

Bit steep in places!!!
snow conditions
@KenX, thanks for the company, that was actually the first time I'd ever been on a full suspension bike, and whilst the downhills might have been a wee bit tame for Ken they were fine by me, especially as I managed to go back bottom over elbow full somersault hitting helmet and tearing back pack and a little pride, though Ken missed the comedy moment, though thankfully only a few more scratches and a few bits of gravel under the skin.

Could almost be tempted to get one of these strange bikes Puzzled
latest report
Great pictures guys!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy