Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
The saga continues.......................

http://www.dici.fr/actu/2015/06/19/urgent-les-travaux-au-tunnel-du-chambon-menaces-5-millions-deuros-pour-une-nouvelle-route-608936
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, after 900 miles and 2 nights in hotels with the 4 dogs we've finally made it to Briancon!
Unpacked and settled in with lovely sunny weather too, we're just going to chill for a couple of weeks before we start house-hunting, unpacking the bikes for a ride tomorrow Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KenX Well done. Looking forward to more updates.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@KenX, still not too sure when I'm coming out, things keep getting in the way, plus ripped a hamstring last week kiting .

Mind you only kept me off the water for a day, but it's quite sore cycling Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Right ticket booked for next Monday 29th* at 08:20 - will do it in one hit not staying at my brothers as where he lives in the summer there are fleas a plenty, and one of my dogs has major allergic reactions to the bites even after the fleas jump off - and cost a small fortune at the vets last year!

So will miss the Luc Alphond Sportive and the first climb (Agnel) on Monday of the Cols Reserve - but Tuesday is the Izoard - which I'll take nice and easy.

http://www.hautes-alpes.net/fr/ete/bouger/cyclotourisme/evenements-cyclo.html

* as it's still good kiting weather all this week and on into the weekend Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So I was on the ground (or on the water if you prefer) at the reservoir du Chambon on a fact finding mission.

Firstly the boat service cannot take bikes for security reasons. The boat is equipped for foot passengers and bikes block the only exit if there is a problem. This seems to be more or less enforced. If you arrive from BdO the harbour master won't let bikes on the boat, if you are descending from la Grave there seemed to be some tolerance this morning. That's the official position, obviously anyone can take their own decision. A hotel from la Grave seemed to arrange for 4 cyclists to be transported today so there may be exceptions or special services being run.

At the moment the service is supposed to be restricted to locals with essential business. This is due to the risk of landslide into the lake.

The boat service was stopped at 11am today and will not resume tomorrow due to the landslide risk. The tunnel works had to be interrupted as well after rocks fell on the building site. This has left a lot of people stranded today, some will sleep at Mont de Lans tonight.

There is still a lot of traffic on the road from Bourg d'Oisans to les Deux Alpes. On the other side of the lake it is dead before la Grave - like zombieland. Apart from one or two tourists following their GPS.

I spoke to a local official who tells me work on the new road on the left bank of the lake has started, it will follow an existing track then zig-zag up to le Cuculet. Work will cost between 5 and 12 million. It will be a single track road with passing places for local traffic. Between 10,000 and 30,000 vehicles take the D1091 each day with up to 44 tonne trucks using the road (the 26 tonne restriction is just for trunk traffic from Grenoble to Briancon).

Officially the tunnel will reopen on the 23rd July. Unofficially there are fears that the route may no longer be viable. The boat service is scheduled to stop at the same time and in any case won't continue into the winter. This is creating a huge amount of worry in the haute romanche valley.

Obviously the situation is extremely fluid and can change each day.

p.s. If you are watching French TV News tomorrow (FR3) I may be on as the "old bloke having trouble getting off boat" - at the east end there is no pontoon so you have to leap onto a collapsing sand bank.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In a cycling forum I made the observation

All along that road, and as an example in the greyed out sector (see pic below) the road runs along what has slipped in the past, hence there are two spots after the tunnel where landslides still occur and further up the road they have constructed some serious revetments to stop any slides coming over the road.

So simple solution, blow the feck out of the side above the tunnel (red sector) and excavate the road with a wee bit of work to the sides similar to the revetments further up the road.

The resulting slide debris will fall down into the lake (man made) so no major issue Puzzled

And that is now being considered !!

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2015/06/24/quand-la-montagne-tombera-t-elle-et-comment

Think there are worries about the slide going into the lac and causing a huge wave, so why not just drain the lake then ??

And what a surprise Tour de France stage has had to be re routed over Croix de Fer

I really feel for friends in La Grave trying to make the most out of the summer months Sad

And...

A few years back I bought a book of tickets (10) for the Frejus and the duration was for two years.

Last season using the last one I inquired about another book and was told they had cut it back to just 12 months - so if I buy another book when I go out Monday does anyone want to share the book, that's if you can transfer the card etc etc

Because I now doubt whether this is going to be sorted for the coming season.

Mind you just been doing some Googling and seems to can't transfer the card for use by other vehicles Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Networking in Le Frog in 29 degrees Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, is this another option (haven't had a good look yet) http://www.multiservicetolls.com/products/frejus-card/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, quick read of the tunnel website suggests the tickets are not registered to a particular vehicle, but you couldn't use them one two different vehicles at the same time. So you couldn't use a ticket at the same time as the mate you are sharing it with. #
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Assuming the tickets are not registered to a vehicle (this would be new) you can sell your spares on skitour.fr or camptocamp.org as people regularly go that way. We'll probably go over the Col next time (in a week) as the tunnel is far too expensive... plus there was a fire last time we took it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was talking to a guy today who suggested the alternate road on the other side of the lake not be completed for a number of years, don't know if there's any truth in that.........
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, we will probably use the Galibier this summer. We're heading over next weekend too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bit the bullet and bought a book as doubt the road will be ready for the winter and I do a fair number of road trips anyway in the winter back & forth, plus do not want to do that Gap detour, and I'll post it to a couple of mates when they come out and if they can use it, then bonus etc etc

Driving down temp was 34.5 just outside Lyon.

Hoping to get my act together tomorrow and do the Boucle de Izoard to tie in with the Col being shut, but the reverse way of how I usually do it - so nothing like straight in at the deep end in temps well over 30 rolling eyes

And @KenX, Friday is the Granon so will touch base with you about that rather than tomorrow's ride.

And after that will have to attack my jungle, not least to get my dish working !!

And now have Cam back up working, so you can see said jungle, (till I attack it) and the two lovely new cranes in front !!

Drive down, 08:20 tunnel off at 10:00 local time, pulled up here 19:15
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, how much was the book? Not sure we will do 10 in a year, but it still migth be worth it.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, twas 180 because I have a van, but if you read the dimensions they publish* for the various classes, I come in class 1 but they were having none of it, and even had a photo of a VW Transporter in his booth.

Maybe you could send the card to your clients as an added incentive for your appt ?

And total reverse of this time last year, now it's almost too feckin hot rolling eyes

I was in quite a bad way by the end, taking 6hr 21m to do what I did in 5hrs last year, heat just does for me - temp on my bike computer coming back up the valley was reading 40.7, and meant to be even warmer tomorrow.

Can't quite get my act together to do the garden as I keep cramping up

* prices linked to from here http://fdeas.com/Default.aspx?Id=124
latest report
@Weathercam, might be a thought, but I'd be concerned they'd forget to send it back to me.
latest report
@Hells Bells, I thought that might be an issue, I know I'd probably have the same issue with mates, but you could always take a deposit or something, SAE etc etc

Still very hot, jungle getting cut back, though have spent most of the afternoon adjusting satellite dish, wish I never started, though now do have it a little better.

Dogs rather laid back has to be said........
snow conditions
Brilliant Thread. Looks like heaps of good off-piste /slack-country.

I am seriously considering a session at SC with odd visits to Via Lattea for mid Jan to mid-late March 2016 (Other options are Zinal/Grimentz or a revisit to Krasnaya Polyana).

A few questions for anyone who would care to answer:
Briancon or further up valley for accommodation (not looking for anything flash-possibly by myself, maybe one or two others)?
Should I be looking at pre-booking accoms via the web, or would a visit to the local tourist office and checking out super-market notice boards upon arrival (early to mid Jan) yield better results?

Are ski buses included on the season pass?

I read that the Briancon end tended to be windier, so presumably snow quality is generally better at the Monetier end. Would that be right?
If yes to the last question, how much of an advantage is it to be staying up-valley vs Briancon, in terms of commute time to the goods, either by lifts or bus?

Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed upon the above.
snow conditions
@gordonsson, the ski buses are included on the season pass. MOnetier is higher and north-facing so the snow is better than Briancon. 20 minutes on the bus from one end to the other. Accommodation will be cheaper in Briancon, but the night life (although still quite laid back) is better in the main villages. Not seem much advertised on supermarket notice boards, I think I'd be wanting at least something booked in advance, especially if you plan to stay a while. Accommodation for February gets booked up well in advance.
ski holidays
Hells Bells,

Thanks for that.
I should have asked in the previous post: are there any "protected zones" where off-piste skiing is banned, such as for forested areas at some of the Swiss and Austrian stations?
Have not found anything in my searches to indicate that there are such, but second opinions are appreciated.

Thanks again.
snow report
@gordonsson, only a few protected areas in the trees but very tiny areas in the overall scheme of things.

And we ski the trees when it's windy and up top is closed.

If you're talking about buses will you not have your own transport?

Just that having a car gives you far greater flexibility in the valley and obviously for road trips, and the big plus point (he says very selfishly) is that with the road shut will make La Grave very attractive Cool

We did have a lot of wind this past season, and hence having a car or travel by bus, as links can close down.

Re accom if it were me I think I'd come out first and sniff around, there are loads of signs up on properties and the TO does have lists then it's all down to haggling - to try and make them see sense that maybe better to have guaranteed rental for six or so weeks rather than hope for just the two high season weeks.
snow report
Weathercam,
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll be coming from NZ so no car if by myself. May rent/lease if I can persuade 1-2 others to come along.
I went to Valloire a couple of years ago early Jan to mid Feb and had no probs with accom due to leaving just before start of school holidays.
Is it worth locking down 2-3 weeks mid Feb-early March ahead of time, and not worrying about the rest until I get there?

Anyways, cheers for the photos and reports. It's got me "skiing" the place on Google Earth.
ski holidays
And finally connected to the internet again Very Happy
So, we're settled in to our new house now, bought a French car (Skoda Octavia estate) and enjoying the dog walking, mountain biking and sunshine!
Only 5 months to go till the ski season.................
snow report
@KenX, see you soon.
snow conditions
@gordonsson, might be worth contacting the tourist office over the summer just to sound things out.
snow conditions
Was speaking to a good friend in LG today (have to go up there tomorrow and sort her email server out which I host) and hubby is a guide (does the lift commission etc) and let her bring the subject up eventually, and basically could be more than two years for the road or longer.

They are quite worried about the prospects for the lift as you can't run a lift just on a number of Swedes / Brits etc staying in LG it's the Frenchies coming up from Grenoble / Lyon etc that really do bring the income in - but the lift co could get financial aid etc

She said there's still a lot that will or will not happen...............
ski holidays
@Weathercam, very much up in the air from what I've been told too. It's a long detour from Grenoble to la Grave.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, thing is, the skiers from the likes of Grenoble and Lyon etc making the trip would only be doing it on big days, if they take the Gap detour or even go Frejus then there's the Lautaret to take into consideration.

And went to take dogs out with me on the bike, was going to go to Frejus, though left it way too late (14:00) after working and doing chores with the net result that I turned back as just way too hot for me and them!

They had a nice paddle in the river though!
ski holidays
@gordonsson, Zinal/Grimentz is an awesome ski area, but I would say the nightlife in Serre Che has quite an edge over Val D'Anniviers!
snow report
The hillside at the tunnel du chambon is now forecast to slide into the lake sometime between 3rd to 5th July, see report.
Simulations suggest this will create a wave in the lake in the area of the slipzone of between 18 to 80 metres Shocked , and a maximum of 4 metres at the dam.
latest report
@Alastair Pink, reports read and watched with interest. Shocked
ski holidays
So EDF should release all the water out of the damn but so far they have not.

I was up in LG yesterday with two lots of friends (both very much in the know) and heard varying opinions, though general consensus was two years for a road.

When I asked why EDF would not let the water out and blow the side of the hill up, the response was that then that would not be a Natural Catastrophe, and no insurance pay out.

And that's all pretty irrelevant to the communes as the Natural Catastrophe has to occur within one km of the said communes for an insurance payout.

As one would expect shops / hotels* are suffering really bad, but it is also having a major toll on the inhabitants domestic life now the boat is no longer running as people who work in Deux Alpes / Bourg now are having to hike up and over to Mizoen, which although is only 2 or so miles is feckin steep, and not all the people doing it are fit.

And then there's the on going saga of the telepherique and what might happen as it's soon being put out to tender, and what with the road and many other crazy existing issues it is a French Farce!

*Also affecting business in Serre, was in the Plein Sud Hotel at lunchtime which relies on a lot of passing trade and they are 50% down !
latest report

Cycled up to the Col du Granon today on my full suspension mountain with Weathercam (cheers for that Gavin!), he tells me along the way it's got the steepest average gradient of all the climbs round here (9.something%), thanks..........
Was a great achievement though, not something I would have attempted on my own Very Happy
ski holidays
Just read this, hope he's right otherwise major egg on the face when further down the valley is flooded!

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2015/07/02/une-vague-spectaculaire-sans-dommage-sur-le-barrage-frappera-la-rive-opposee

And congrats to @KenX, for his first ride up a mountain Col, and it's deemed by many to be the toughest Col in France Toofy Grin

Rumblings of thunder or is it the landslide rolling eyes

Further Edit
Now like last summer, pissing down rolling eyes
snow report
Ride early in the morning over to Italy via Nevache and the Col De l'Echelle dropping down to Melezet and Bardonecchia then on to Oulx and then back up to Montgenevre via a double cappuccino in Claviere.

Maybe not the best of ideas to do it on a Saturday as the Italians were out in force presumably evacuating Turin for the weekend.

Loads of groups of cyclists coming over Echelle from the Italian side and Melezet was very busy along with Bardonecchia.

Usually Oulx is devoid of people along with Cesana and that too was the busiest I've ever seen.

Cafe Street racers (Superbikes) were out in numbers as well, some taking the mountain bends at breathtaking angles and speed and no carabinieri around, few came a little close for comfort though.

One advantage of going over the Echelle first was that for the ascent back up to Montgenevre some of the road was in the shade as temps quickly rose to 30+ but the real benefit was that cyclists can use the old galleried tunnels as all other traffic now uses the new tunnel and was so cool in there and no more worries of someone taking you out in them and I was pretty well the only person riding up in them.

Once in Claviere a double cappuccino in Michi and at only 2€ where in France would probably be well over double /treble that!

Briancon old town was very busy with the Medieval Festival which I'll pop along to tomorrow after a ride.

And think today is even hotter though might well have some more thunderstorms, yesterday's were very bizarre with some large temp inversions resulting in hail at one point!

And landslide is due to happen this afternoon!
http://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers/2015/07/03/le-terrain-glisse-a-la-vitesse-d-un-metre-par-jour
ski holidays
Those galleries certainly look cool! snowHead
snow report
Good morning from a warm and sunny Monetier-les-Bains. Heading off to Briancon this morning. Arrived to 27c temps last night at around 7pm, but cool enough inside our apartment to finally have a good night's kip.
snow conditions
Good morning from a warm and sunny Les Deux Alpes. Laughing

Latest news on the hillside at the tunnel du chambon is that although there have been intermittent small falls of rocks and earth into the lake overnight, the predicted large landslide is still to occur (maybe later today)? Quote from the préfet de l'Isere "Le mouvement est toujours significatif, de l'ordre de 2 metres/jour mais le scenario d'un éboulement massif reste hypothétique. "C'est la nature qui décide et nous recevons là une leçon d'humilité" a-t-il conclu devant les nombreux medias postés sur le site." Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well there have been few releases but not the massive landslide that was predicted for the weekend, what's the betting this will drag on, and then they'll use explosives.

As for yesterday, a first.

Cycled up the old military road from just outside Briancon to the top of Montgenevre (Gondrans) then a final ascent up to Le Janus at 2,529m.

Came back down towards Montgenevre and then through the woods coming out half way down joining the main road from Montgenevre to Briancon.

Would make a nice descent if you dropped a car off at the layby and then went up to Montgenevre.

Popped into see what was going on in the old town for the Medieval Festival came back out and bumped into @KenX walking his dogs with Lyn.

Evidently was total carnage for the Marmotte, which is a very tough cycling sportive that was re routed because of the tunnel, but still finished up the Alpe D'Huez after a few other major climbs.

Of the 7,500 entered 3,000 DNF - in two weeks time it's the Etape and there's usually 20,000 who enter that and if these temps keep up that's going to be probably worst as the Marmotte tend to attract very experienced cyclists compared to the Etape - I have around five mates doing it, a couple who will be staying with me the week prior, I was going to join them along the route, but will wait and see.

Temps do ease off at night and by 07:00 they are down to 15 but quickly rise and still well into the 30's early evening.

Atop Le Janus

Looking down to Montgenevre with Mont Chaberton in the background (which I hope to climb in the next couple of weeks up from the Italian side)

The lifts of the Gondrans sector below

Route map is here https://www.strava.com/activities/339515095
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy