Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
First day of the inter season as it were and weather was not as forecast, with a beautiful clear sky on offer, which will be good for transforming the snow of yesterday and hopefully temps dropping & freezing overnight and then up early tomorrow for a ski rando avec les chiens.

Down to Briancon this morning to pay various bills and then I was heading South on the Gap road, and picked up a guy hitching who it turned out was Armenian and had lived in Vars (where I was aiming to cycle) for eight years.

Dropped him off at Mont Dauphin Gare as that was where I was parking up and he was heading on to Gap.

Out with the bike and then headed off to the Col de Vars, which is classed as a Hors Catégorie* climb (first one of the year).

I've done it before and knew what to expect, and it's actually no where near as tough as the Granon, long yes bit no uber steep ramps.

You cycle through Vars and I always think to myself how I'd like to ski there as the area looks very interesting. Once through the top station of Vars (1850m) it's out past the Refuge Napoleon and on to the Col (which is open), if I were to drop down the other side I'd be quite near the site of the tragic air crash of a few months back.

On the way to the Col as there were not too many cars a couple of black marmottes ran over the road in front of me and then started to play chase on the other side oblivious of me!

*WIKI definition of Hors Catégorie.
Hors catégorie is a French term used in cycle races to designate a climb that is "beyond categorization", or an incredibly tough climb. Most climbs in cycling are designated from Category 1 (hardest) to Category 4 (easiest), based on steepness, length, and how far into the stage they are encountered. A climb that is harder than Category 1 is designated as hors catégorie. The term was originally used for those mountain roads where cars were not expected to be able to pass.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last ski tour of the season Crying or Very sad

But it was a big one, Pic des Trois Evêchés!

Lovely conditions with a few people out in "our" sector, pretty well no visible tracks above 2300 after the snow fall over the weekend.

I left the OH at around 2,750 and skinned up the steep slope to the ridge (3,000m), boot packing the last 75m and with only about 15m to go called it a day as I started to sink up to my knee, and my boot was encased in snow that set like concrete, and with two big visible spring slides either side of me I was conscious of what might be happening to the snow.

Twas a lovely ski back down and by the end was having to ski over the grass.

So that's it for this season for us for skiing, tomorrow I might go out on the bike as with the main road closed after La Grave there are so few cars on the road up to the Lautaret and seems since the lifts closed on Sunday everyone's taken to cycles and running.

Here are the pics of the day.

Climb to the ridge center of pic

Loads of turns to have to be put in

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So one last dog walk as we were thinking about a mini ski tour but temps were quite mild as weather was overcast.

Then packed up the apartment and took the Gap diversion* which is a long and windy road but very scenic.

So that's it for the season, and looking at forecast fair amount of precipitation and even some snow from Sat through to Mon, finally Ja'vril.

Hoping to be back out second week of June.

Ciao

*see La Grave thread re news about the tunnel and road closure

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, Thanks for all your reports and photos this season. Keep them coming next season please. Hope you have a good summer on the water.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cad99uk, +1 for @Weathercam's reports. @Weathercam - have a good summer on the bike, too. Stay safe.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another avalanche, this time in the Monetier commune a few days ago claimed the life of a alpinist walker in the Couloir Davin

http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/04/28/un-alpiniste-retrouve-mort-dans-le-couloir-davin

Few weeks earlier the CAF Briancon did a big hike up there - if you look carefully you can see two groups climbing up.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Latest on the tunnel

http://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2015/05/11/tunnel-du-chambon-reouverture-prevue-le-10-juillet

So which is faster to drive, via Gap or Modane / Galibier. I know Frejus is faster, but not worth the extra expense in the Summer ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, I would have thought Modane/Galibier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hells Bells, trouble is once you turn off Maurienne and start the climb up to Telegraph and then on to Galibier, very few places to overtake and all it will take is a few camper vans, of which there will be many, and you'll be down to snails pace both up and down.

And what about coaches, pretty sure I've seen coaches up Galibier when I've been cycling up and down it on numerous occasions.

I'll ask around later on and see what people are doing as the best option.

Maybe they'll ban camper vans Toofy Grin

Dooooooh just realised why they have not announced the date of the Cols Reserves (usually end of June when certain Cols are only open to cyclists from 09:00 to Noon) as would not go down to well if they shut the Galibier both ways at the moment rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, and I expect the traffic will of course be a lot busier than usual. We're out at beginning of July, so will have to rethink our plans a little. Maybe this is the year to head to Valence for a night or two before coming up. I'll also have to warn my guests for June.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll be flying to Turin......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2h 35 Grenoble to Chamoissiere via Galibier, 3h30 via Gap, and 2h36 via Frejus according to Google Maps.

Will the closure affect the Tour? I expect they will be trying to get it ready for the Modane-ADH stage? This is on July 25th? We'll be back home by then, perhaps the motorhomes won't be quite so bad at the start of July?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, will be interesting as to what will happen for the tour, maybe they'll call the Royal Engineers in to build a pontoon type bridge across the lake, I'm sure every things being looked at!

Advantage for your clients in June is that it will be really quiet, not that it's that busy anyway. Cycling is going to be great as I found out at the end of the season.

The Etape stage this year (have quite a few mates riding it) is Stage 19 Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne / La Toussuire, so the parts of the Galibier route will also have to be closed for that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here is the report on the problems and proposed solutions to the Chambon tunnel

http://freneydoisans.com/freneytique/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Reunion_Grand_Tunne%E2%80%AF_Chamon_mai_2015.pdf
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So will certainly be interesting to see what happens in time for the Tour Stage - I wonder if they will "bodge" it for that, and then return to more main stream works in the inter season?

This just in from Robin who owns the Edelweiss in La Grave where they have over the years built up their cycling clientele and groups replacing the randoneurs (walkers) and with Marlon being Dutch (his Mrs) they have lots of Dutch groups over for the crazy ADH Dutch week and then many of the big American cycling tour groups (Trek) especially for the TDF.

Hi Gavin
Tunnel will be closed until (at least) July 10th. We have checked out the free ferry across the lake, 15-20 minutes and it runs non-stop between 7am and 7pm. We have even managed to get them to run it for our Alpe d'Huzez and Marmotte clients in the dark (if they are still going to come). Marmotte is a big problem, they will probably have to change the route.....
See you when you come out? Galibier is likely to open a bit earlier than scheduled, I have heard the early part of the week of 18th, we'll see. If it wasn't yet another public holiday (today) it could have been open tomorrow I expect...
cheers
Robin
ski holidays
View from Le Bez this morning Puzzled

And Prorel

latest report
Weathercam wrote:
..... will be interesting as to what will happen for the tour, maybe they'll call the Royal Engineers in to build a pontoon type bridge across the lake, I'm sure every things being looked at............

Translation from Le Dauphine of a few days ago.............

http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/05/17/la-colere-monte-de-part-et-d-autre-du-tunnel-du-chambon

Since the last meeting in Villar d'Arene May 13, there has not been much change in jobs that have not yet started in the tunnel under surveillance for 40 years and for which nothing n ' was done.

The idea of ​​a floating bridge on the lake

At the meeting yesterday, several ideas were, first of all really fight for the reopening of the tunnel but also why not a floating bridge on the lake.

Gailbier was opened up yesterday

snow report
Tunnel situation getting worse all the time now - TDF stage now very much at risk according to reports in Le Dauphine and from my friends who run the Edelweiss in La Grave.

Although I've just seen Le Dauphine saying it will now reopen July 20th !

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2015/05/31/tunnel-du-chambon-pas-de-reouverture-avant-le-20-juillet-yege

Good news is that the roads are super quiet and cycling friendly Cool

http://www.hotel-edelweiss.com/access-to-la-grave.html
ski holidays
Cutting it fine, they may have to take the boat if it's not opened by the 25th!
snow report
@KenX, friends in La Grave reckon end of the summer or even later, basically no one really knows they say.

I'm sure the TDF announcement either way will be the final conclusion. But there again they might just bodge it for the tour, although it is possible to go over Croix de Fer.

Do you know when you are out in the summer yet?
ski holidays
Coming out tomorrow for the week, hopefully to rent a house for the year. I say hopefully because we've sold our place here and booked removals to bring all our stuff to SC on the 17th June!!!
snow report
@KenX, confused, you say coming out tomorrow for the week, then are you back out again 17th June - so where is all your stuff going ???
snow report
That picture contrast of the Col is awesome.
snow conditions
Just me coming out on a recce, we complete and move out on the 15th Smile
latest report
Just in from friends in La Grave who run a hotel there.

So Galibier is indeed off the list.

Bonjour,

Suite aux problèmes de circulation liés à la fermeture du tunnel du Chambon, les Départements de la Savoie et des Hautes-Alpes ont décidé d’annuler la manifestation cycliste « 1 jour 1 col / col réservé » au col du Galibier programmée le 2 juillet 2015. La route Départementale RD902 ne sera donc pas interdit à la circulation automobile le 2 juillet prochain.

Cordialement,

@KenX, I hope to be out about then too - I'm in my van so if you need some stuff taken out................................
snow report
More on the Tunnel du Chambon here http://www.dici.fr/actu/2015/05/30/rd-1091-nouveaux-retard-tunnel-du-chambon-le-depute-joel-giraud-obtenu-un-appel-lintervention-de-601464
latest report
@Hells Bells, from that article would make a lot of sense if they negotiated better rates for the Frejus to improve the situation.

The worry is that this could now drag on a long time if a whole new tunnel has to be rebuilt !!!
snow conditions
OK, so our new address as of 17th June is 108A, Route de Grenoble, 05100 Briancon Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@KenX, Very Happy
latest report
Tis not looking good for the tunnel - at this rate be surprised if we'll see it open for the winter !!

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2015/06/13/sous-le-tunnel-du-chambon-un-chantier-titanesque
ski holidays
@Weathercam, it isn't looking good at all .
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, @Weathercam, what sort of difference would that make to your comings and goings? The geography of that area is a bit of a mystery to me.
ski holidays
@pam w, it is the only really convenient route. Same road as you would travel to Les Deux-Alpes and La Grave from Grenoble. At the moment you can get to Deux-Alpes from Grenoble, but no further, the tunnel runs along side the lake just past the dam. Alternatives are via the Tunnel de Fréjus and Col de Montgenevre (expensive) or via Gap (a lot longer). You could use the Col du Galibier in summer, which may be what we decide to do. Already upset some of our plans for a meet up with Easiski and a day on the glacier, just too much of a detour.
latest report
This give some idea of the tunnel's location.
snow report
It gets worse. There has now been a large mudslide on the road between Monetier and the Col du Lauteret near the Tunnel de Rif Blanc, which will block the road for an indefinite period. This means that for now the Col du Galibier cannot be used either, and La Grave is almost cut off from anywhere, although they can still use it to get to Modane.

Quote:
Urgent / info routes:

Municipality of Monetier Les Bains,

Due to a mudflow, the rd1091 is cut in both directions at the level of the tunnel of Rif Blanc for an indefinite period.

The Link Between The Hautes-Alpes and isère through the tunnel du galibier " which was possible only for cars is now impossible for all vehicles,

Advice of movement:

From the department of Hautes Alpes (05):
For the journey Briançon-Grenoble, a deviation is put in place by National Highways 94 and 85 via Gap, Col Bayard And La Mure (measure of off-Loading D1091 T1 C C)

- to join the Hautes-Alpes From Lyon, Grenoble and chambery, it is possible to reach briançon via Chambéry and autoroute a43 until the Fréjus tunnel. After the tunnel, there is a need to leave the motorway in Oulx, direction Cesana and Col Du Montgenevre. This route presents since Chambéry a prolongation of journey of 40 km and an additional € 37 toll.

- to join the Hautes-Alpes from Grenoble avoid this sector. Follow the signs for implementation which is to join Briançon by the N85 via la mure and gap.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, gosh, that does sound a pain. I remember the tunnel - used it with Easiski getting to La Grave. The road nearer the Grenoble end isn't good, either, is it? You often see men up doing heroic things to secure the banks to guard against landslides.
snow conditions
@pam w, they've been doing a lot of improvements down at the Grenoble end, there's another strecth of bypass going in right now.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@pam w, they've been doing a lot of improvements down at the Grenoble end, there's another strecth of bypass going in right now.

The improvements are more essentials to stop the road being blocked at the ruines de séchilienne to keep access to l'alpe d'Huez and les 2 alpes open. They are running the road up the opposite bank of the Romanche, hopefully high enough off the valley floor so that if (when) the ruines go they won't block the road (again).
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, I was meant to be going out today, but various domestic issues have curtailed that plan - so now looking at middle of next week 23rd ish - but will keep an eye on the Rif Blanc situation but hopefully will be cleared by the end of this week ??!!
snow report
@Weathercam, they usually manage to clear things like that fairly quickly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy