Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
Still don't quite understand how / why the slopes are so busy - and does sound predominately French and there were a lot more children around today, and no it's not Belgians as I've only seen a few cars Puzzled

Just after I took this image, someone clipped the skier in front of them and then around five people went down like a pack of cards!

Back off the Eychauda today taking the steep face down as snow had softened up and it is damn steep, you can just about make out our tracks.

Further down I started exploring a different line and ran out of snow, at least I didn't go off a cliff this time rolling eyes

After taking the Rocher Blanc chair back up after skinning up to it I did another descent down towards Les Combes on my tod by snow was so heavy and soft by then I only went down half way.

Looks like they plan to try and keep that sector open for a while as they've been moving one hell of a lot of snow around to presumably cover up the bare patches later.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, this week is often busy when the schools go back, as people without kids, and with kids below school age visit. I've always had a booking for this week, but sometimes not for the next two.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, even before we bought our place we use to come for four to five weeks beginning of March for around four years, then as the hols moved into March we came out a week later and it just seemed far quieter than it is now - not that it's uber busy by any means of course.

Was speaking to my French neighbours and they were saying how some of their friends have not even managed to rent their places out this year and the apartment we use to rent and where I have friends often staying has only been rented out for one week so far this season.

Mind you think that the Frenchies do not market their properties seriously at all well and just rely on the agencies or boncoin. English friends in Les Houches have their place rented out nigh on every week in the ski season and do really well in the summer and she uses a whole load of different internet sites to promote it with Dutch and Belgians being bigger clients than UK.

As for looking forward

Nine day forecast

And compare that to Abries / Ristolas in the Queyras only 34km as the Crow flies Sad

So let's hope that the low shifts in our favour !!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for posting the long range forecast, yes lets hope the low does shift. At least the temps are coming down slightly too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well a retour d'est isn't benificial to Serre Che. The snow tends to remain in the Nevache valley and in montgenevre. But we can still hope this time it is different. But i don't think the models can capture such local patterns very well, so it's anybody's guess...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bart_bdv, exactly - So far there this season there have been two instances of the Retour D'Est where the Queyras has had well over a meter and a half and we've ended up with 10cm.

Surely it's time for us to have a decent dump !

Oh well if not I know where we'll be heading on Tues / Wed.

Temps never went down below zero last night so we're going out earlier than usual as snow will be turning earlier - heading off to our little ravine for some slack country Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pistes slushy lower down to Monetier today around 13:00 with quite a few bare patches appearing on the Rochamout and snow is disappearing rapidly in the valley though can see Casse du Bouef still in good nick as it does not get so much sun.

More cloud around today but still ending up with a very silly sun tan as my bandana goes across the top bit of my head.

We went off down from the top of Yret chair and top section not that pleasant but once down to our playground where no one else ventures it seems, we'd almost left it too late with snow on the more East facing aspects almost too heavy, in fact OH took a much better line than me where snow was better.

I left OH where we usually stop and I carried on down exploring further and was rewarded with another nice pitch and another 175m in vertical to climb up in some very rotten snow at times which I think is the result of the windblown snow layer transforming. I quickly sussed what to look for to avoid it!

And suntan coming along but as I mentioned when I take the bandana off !!

Plan for tomorrow is that I'm taking a photographer mate there. So watch the weather throw a spanner in the works, plus I'm in the Petit Pont tonight rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Am I dreaming or does it really seem that the probability for snow this weekend is increasing? Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bart_bdv, yes but as I said earlier looks to be minimal compared to the Queyras - hope I'm proved wrong.

Looks like will be even warmer today - I'm going out even earlier this morning doing the same run again taking a mate who is borrowing some of my spare gear - that's of course if he shows up at the rendezvous, my head is telling me I had too much last night rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still unsure for this weekend. Some snow should fall but quantity impossible to predict. But a big dump doesn 't seem probable the italians will keep most of the snow. A difficult climate at serre che but isn 't Briancon one of the driest places in the alps ? So not such a surprise:-(
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a great time in Serre Chev last week with a total mixture in terms of weather. Some lovely sunny days, blowing a gale and bitterly cold, to lashing rain in the resort with a surprise amount of powder greeting us at the top of Cucumelle /Eychauda lifts Cool

Piste areas where in good nick but the runs home later on in the day were naturally a bit crap... Some of the greens were icy as hell which caught some of the novice skiers out...

Had lessons with Gavin from Skinewgen all week as it was only my second year... what a great instructor he is, highly recommend if anyone is after lessons out there. Was comfortable on all Reds by the end of the week although got a bit giddy on the last day and combined with "tired legs" I stupidly wiped out in spectacular fashion down one run. No harm done apart from my pride but was a good excuse to call it a day early and try out the outdoor spa for couple of hours in the afternoon Laughing

Stayed in Monetier which is a lovely "old" town, not much in the way of Apres but Paul's bar took plenty of our Euro's all week... he has the biggest Alsatian dog I think I've ever seen Laughing
All in all, great resort! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Spike107, glad you had a good time, and yes, weather was rather wide ranging that week rolling eyes

As for today looked like it was going to be a very warm day and I'd arranged to take a mate out on a rando tour. He is very well known in the valley as a photographer and many of his photos can be seen in bars plus he does all the ski school photos.

We set off from Monetier and decided to do one piste run as snow was still quite hard. In the end it was the chill wind that was blowing that was stopping the melt - we did get some cracking turns in where it was out of the wind and in a good aspect. But the climb back out was really tough as it was still very frozen, and at times I wished I'd had my crampons with me, as it would have made things a lot easier.

By the time we arrived at the chair we could see the wind howling big time up on Yret.

Anyway always nice to get a good pic of the photographer, as Pikey said makes a change.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Suppose should do an update - as usual forecasts totally failed to deliver, think we must have had all of 5cm today, and that was at the top of the Vallons.

We still went for first lifts, more to do with someone staying with us who was booked in for lessons etc.

Went straight for Vallons and was pretty obvious limited snow, did try off to the side but was around a couple of cm on hard frozen crud so went back on the piste and that was very nice. Second lap light went and again made the mistake of trying to suss out some fresh but only ended up juddering my whole body. Me and OH agreed to head back down as hearts were not in it, and actually run all the way back down was great as Sunday is always empty down from Frejus as Club Med change over day.

Back down took dogs for a walk up the back behind us doing a nice hike then traverse and back down to Le Serre Barbin then over the river and back along the track.

Been snowing heavily in Abries http://www.queyras.com/station-queyras/webcams-meteo click on Abries and should be more tomorrow so that points to a road trip there Tuesday as lifts are half price so €13 is pretty good Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello all, Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but I'll enquire anyway. I've just arrived in Serre Chevalier and will be here for 3 weeks. I'm staying in Briancon. I don't know the resort at all and much prefer riding with other folk. I wondered if there was anyone who fancied showing me around the mountains. Will provide apres beers or wine for your troubles.

Thanks in advance

Steve
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tdbspj, sorry Steve, not being rude - but conditions at the moment mean I'm not really bothering going up the hill, though that said just back from a two and half hour hike up the hill behind us with the dogs !

You don't say what sort of level skier you are, are you just a piste cruiser, or do you like off piste / touring etc ?

If you have your own transport I'd recommend going further afield too to catch the snow that has fallen in other resorts, that's if you're a powder hound ?

View of the Serre (Villeneuve) pistes from the other side at around 2030m

snow report
Thanx for that pic! A pity there is so few snow in the valley. I hope the runs home remain skiable in April...
snow conditions
@bart_bdv, we can still get a snow fall - there's been bonkers amounts in Via Lattea see my post in that thread.

Change of plan tomorrow as we now going to Cesana and up from there.

Great thing about being here, is that we have so many options Cool
latest report
Awesome picture, thanks for that.
latest report
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I would say I'm quite an experienced snowboarder. Have been doing it for 15 years or so. Spent a season in Canada and keep going back there for extended stays but thought I'd try Europe this year.

I've been spoilt with Powder in Canada, hoping for some here but think I may have left it late in the season. Would be keen to go touring but unfortunately don't have the safety gear. I like getting off piste if I know the terrain.

I should have my own transport as of next week. Will check the snow reports.

I also have winter boots and crampons with me and would be keen to do some hiking/mountaineering. Let me know if you're doing anything along these lines.

Cheers

Steve
ski holidays
Happy St Patrick's Day to all you Serre Chevalians (to cannibalise a word). I'll put in a word with the good saint to see if he can push more of the white stuff in your direction.
snow conditions
@Kevin Byrne, Very Happy . Happy St. Patrick's Day
latest report
Oh well we're meeting in Mojos tonight prior to going up the Vielle Ferme - so no doubt they'll all be in St Patrick's day mode.

Feckin bonkers day in Via Lattea today - so much snow, in fact for OH nigh on too much, skiing that depth and weight is another notch on the learning curve of skiing off piste.

Report and pics in Via Lattea thread.

Though might post a photo of my chin after I hit a submerged tree branch later when the bruising etc really comes out.

Seemed that Montgenevre had a fair amount of new snow too, but not too sure if it's the 30cm that I've heard they've had as did not look like it from the road as we drove through, maybe at altitude ?

We really have missed out this season, know I've said it before, and I always thought our time would come, but now beginning to seriously doubt it.

That said our guest who is on his second week skiing ever, is having a great time up on the hill!
snow report
Well I hope the pistes remain ok as I arrive 28th March. Must say I'm a getting a bit disappointed, seems like I have misjudged Serre Che. I thought if the southern alps get snow, serre che gets as well. Now I know this isn't true and the climate there is really tricky. I have been skiing in Italy often in March and was never disappointed. But it seems accross the border they get a lot more snow... Next time I come to Serre Che I think I will book only the week before Happy

Some light snow possible in the weekend, when have we heard that before?
snow conditions
@bart_bdv, that is what usually happens, but the weather systems have been a bit unusual that's for sure. I have seen it happen before, left Serre Che for our return coach to Turin with just a sprinkling of new snow all week to find a massive dump had occurred in Montgenevre, but I've seen it happen the other way around too.
snow report
Well in any case no need to dramatise I suppose. Most runs are still open, and it is not unknown for resorts to close runs the second halve of March, even in the northern Alps. And I'm sure it's gonna snow next week Happy On the piste map the aiguilettes lift is closed. Lack of snow or lack of people?
ski holidays
@bart_bdv, I could post numerous photos of Serre with mega dumps in March / April

I've posted this before, April 2013 and end shot has Pooch in it Sad

All the Young Dudes - Spring Skiing Serre Chevalier, one of the best mornings ever! from Weathercam
https://vimeo.com/63748239

This season is not up to scratch, but beauty of Serre is that you'r well placed to take advantage of the snow elsewhere Cool
snow conditions
You said on your blog you need a snorkel for the slush on the bottom runs in the afternoon. But I have skied Méribel in second half of April. Now THAT were slushy home runs Happy
ski holidays
@bart_bdv, I would say Meribel in late April is probably worse, but as I'm not in Serre Che at the moment I can't really compare.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could be warmest day of the year so far!

Just back from a bike ride up to the Lautaret and met a guide I know from LG with a group who had just been touring.

As they then drove past they slowed down and a Swede, out of the window asked if I was Gavin the Windsurfer from the UK South Coast - when I hooked up with them at the Cafe at the top transpired he was with me on one of the trips to Lyngen in 2008 !

Quite bizarre / cool to be skiing volumes of powder one day and then cycling the next - but do have a lot of work on today, so only a short break Cool

Further Edit: our guest just back in, saying how even slushier today, warm and meant to be hotter tomorrow.
snow report
Now even warmer than yesterday - hitting 17.5 wonder if it will creep up some more!

This morning cracking ski tour avec les rando chiens up in the Galibier sector to the Crête de Côte Plaine

And beautiful spring snow all the way back down.

Left home at 08:00 started climbing 08:30 and back down by Noon.

Bit of a gnarly hike along the ridge then skis back on for some more climbing

Full on and this was surprisingly steep

OH is "having" to ski with the guest this afternoon (I'm working of course) they've gone up to Monetier, told her to take her fat skis rolling eyes
ski holidays
For quite a few years now have driven past the various restaurants just opposite the car park at the top of old town Briancon and have heard great reports about the pizza restaurant there.

Trouble is we usually eat in Claviere, so always seem to be en-route back and forth.

So last evening we ended up with our guest (who was kindly driving) having a quick pero in the old town and then we went to Mamna Mia's http://www.pizzeria-mamma-mia.fr/ and it was like being back in Italy, (well it is only 20mins up the road) - and for a Thursday out of season it was buzzing by the time we left - so highly rec-commended.

Saw Gavin's (New Gen) van in the car park there and I think he lives not far from there (Fotenil ?) as I've seen him coming up from there when we're on road trips sure Hells Bells will confirm.

Looks like weather is on the change and looking at all the various forecasts we're in for precipitation in one form or another as you'd expect this time of year.

Have a mate and his two sons arriving tomorrow, it was he that I first went to LG with back in 97 so pressures on to give them a good week and possible road trip to Gressony as another mate is up there, and then two other mates (one the brother of the mate in Gressony) are in Sauze with their OH's, if the snow is good here but just stay put rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Weathercam, he lives in the old town.
latest report
Café des Vignes is good for a lunchtime Menu in Summer too.
latest report
well some snow should fall from from saterday afternoon untill somewhere in the night. Should start as rain in the valley but turn to snow. Let's pray it is substantial Happy
latest report
@bart_bdv, don't you go believing those forecasts, we were meant to be getting some stuff this afternoon rolling eyes

So took the "guest" out this afternoon, and out of his comfort zone Cool

Had only done a couple of reds by the end of his lessons this week.

By mid afternoon we were in the Station having done "Luc" and then finished off with "Du Boueff" is he chuffed or what, FB's a plenty rolling eyes
latest report
@Weathercam, love the piccies of the dogs. Always bring a big Very Happy to my face.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@bart_bdv, don't you go believing those forecasts, we were meant to be getting some stuff this afternoon rolling eyes

So took the "guest" out this afternoon, and out of his comfort zone Cool

Had only done a couple of reds by the end of his lessons this week.

By mid afternoon we were in the Station having done "Luc" and then finished off with "Du Boueff" is he chuffed or what, FB's a plenty rolling eyes

Well I think on friday was very unsure but saterday all the models suggest there should fall something... But if on friday any precipitation would have fallen it would have been rain until 2200m at least. But on saterday the stats are clear, precipitation will fall. Let us hope the snowlimit drops.
ski holidays
@bart_bdv, it all depends what model(s) you're looking at - anyway it's so damn mild (+8 in the valley) think it will raining all the way to the top Sad

Next week just keeps changing and difference between yr.no & snow-dribble is a joke.

With friends in Gressony, Sauze and here and more arriving poss here mid week going to be interesting trying to conjure up plans rolling eyes
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@bart_bdv, it all depends what model(s) you're looking at - anyway it's so damn mild (+8 in the valley) think it will raining all the way to the top Sad

Next week just keeps changing and difference between yr.no & snow-dribble is a joke.

With friends in Gressony, Sauze and here and more arriving poss here mid week going to be interesting trying to conjure up plans rolling eyes

Temperature is supposed to drop a bit in the afternoon/evening, so let's hope it drops quickly Happy For next week seems still very uncertain. On the other hand, it is better there is uncertainty whether it will snow or not, than have certainty that nothing will fall Happy
snow conditions
@bart_bdv, though some might prefer sunshine & nothing (spring touring weather) rather than rain rolling eyes

What will be will be

Nice 11km hike with les chiens above Briancon on the old military road(s). Stunning views over the various forts over the old town.

https://www.strava.com/activities/271666109
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy