Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, I did say some where on here a while back that we don't want the same conditions as per last year (with the early snow) that then produced that very weak layer so close to the surface.

However we're hopefully beyond that, but if we were to get light rain, and then a melt and freeze creating facets, that could well create a weak layer not necessarily close to the surface but enough to be of concern for any future snow falls.

Hopefully I'm totally wrong Confused

Anyway think I can predict heavy snow on New Year's Eve, as I'm taking my daughters to Turin for a flight back to the UK 17:00 then we have to get back to the Edelweiss in LG where we're staying for New Year's Eve shenanigans and that will mean getting over the Col de Lautaret rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
@Spike107, think about the logistics needed to open up the resort?

Pisteurs, lifties, need to prepare the pistes etc etc all these people have jobs outside of the winter months so they can't suddenly flick a switch and open up the resort, hence only the very limited opening at the weekends.

Must admit to getting very itchy though as we would be having a ball if we were out there now with so much to do on our doorstep.

The joys of earning your turns Cool

And this just in from friends in La Grave "Hey Gavin, lot's of new snow since last night. Mountain looking good wink)"

Yeah totally understand the logistics of opening a resort... just makes you want to get up there when you see what it's like at the moment! Look at today again http://serrechevalier.livecam360.net/cucumelle Cool

pamw wrote:

It's always a roller-coaster in December, if you are hoping to ski at Christmas - feast and famine! And conditions can change very quickly. Last year was a real cliff-hanger, but not too bad in the end.

Don't arrive until 28th Feb so no panic yet with any impending mild conditions... wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have FaceBook some nice pics of a ski tour a few days ago up from Briancon towards the Col Izoard starting at Laus where the road is closed in the winter.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.841710495893093.1073741864.252514544812694&type=1

And a little bit closer to home, this was Montagnolle on Thursday

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Nice shot of the piste bashers on the webcam at the top of Cucumelle.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just found this video of the current snow conditions taken yesterday
http://youtube.com/v/EKI6z64YQlA&feature=em-share_video_user
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Verrry niiiice, Hells Bells snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has anyone got any thoughts on where to park for a day trip? I'll be coming from the direction of Gap. I was last there about 20 years ago, and with the memory not being what it was...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PaulS, you could park at the Briancon lift station, you will go under the gondola as you arrive from Gap or you can head towards Chantemerle, plenty of underground parking underneath the new apartment buildings.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PaulS, depends on the time of year and day of week & time of day you get there, if low season / quiet time then for sure Briancon and Chantermerle not too bad but if it's busy then worth the extra drive to head up the valley.

For instance, if high season, even though we live in Villeneuve we might well drive to Monetier.

If driving up from Gap then there's also Vars which is actually quite a large area, along with Rissoul and then there's also Puy St Vincent (all closer to Gap than Serre)

And then totally off the beaten track I can thoroughly recommend the stations in the Queyras, (turn off at Guilliestre) off piste potential is massive, see this report from last season
http://www.stylealtitude.com/newsandblog/2014/03/30/if-carlsberg-made-a-ski-resort/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thinking of doing a ucpa week in serre che feb 7th. Anyone around that week to board with... Hoping to do some park stuff but dont know if ucpa will have a group teaching that...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice shot from the team Riquet - pretty sure we were up there in the summer (below Tete du Grand Pre) looking at routes, going to go through some of my photos and see, there again I could be totally wrong Puzzled

Mmmmm not too sure now ?

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Those two photos are of different places unless the locacation of the photographer is very very different.

What are conditions like now? Has all the snow been washed away? Pity, if all that rain had fallen as snow it could have been the best start to the season in years. Out on 20th for a week.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone going this weekend? Its a pretty similar distance to ValThorens from me so trying to decide where best to go..or if its just best to stay at home until we get back from the UK end of Dec.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kevin Byrne, friends reported good conditions on the top pistes of Monetier open at the weekend, and they have confirmed they will open again on Saturday and Sunday. Doesn't look like anything below Serre Ratier level though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kevin Byrne, think the photo was taken much further up looking up to the left, but like I said I'm probably wrong rolling eyes

So see you maybe in the Frog when you're out. I'm arriving 16th or there abouts, I'm actually hoping for no snow lower down as we can then drive up from Cervieres to Les Fonts hopefully to get into that area for touring otherwise it's a very long hike.

Not too sure if Elaine will be with me or my daughter, all a wee bit chaotic on the domestic front.

This is a vid posted from last weekend

29-11-2014 Serre Chevalier confirme ! from skions.com
http://vimeo.com/113156481
ski holidays
Conditions look good! Where abouts is that in SC, monetier?
ski holidays
@macgyver, yes.
snow report
Right, fingers crossed and I might venture there this weekend
latest report
macgyver wrote:
Right, fingers crossed and I might venture there this weekend

Latest webcam from Cucumelle http://serrechevalier.livecam360.net/cucumelle Just don't look at the Ratier camera Laughing
snow report
Been there, done that NehNeh. Would it be better to go to Monetier or Villeneuve?
snow report
@macgyver, there will only be Monetier open this weekend, and then only the top lifts
ski holidays
Ah ok fair enough. That makes that an easy decision then!
latest report
Serre Chevalier have announced this evening that they will be opening 70% of the ski area on Saturday which is the planned opening date.

http://www.serre-chevalier.com/ouverture-serre-chevalier/
latest report
A work colleague is heading out to Chantemerle in a couple of days (Sunday). He asked me about snow conditions - so we looked at the SC webcams.... what a mess!

I've not been to SC for a few years - but isn't the Serre Ratier area the main setting off point?

Is there any skiing available? He has a party of beginners / intermediates. Is there any access to reasonable slopes / lessons?

Will the resort actually open this weekend? Very few people around.

Thanks,

SM
snow conditions
Yeah, Serre Ratier is sure looking sad and sorry. But the Cucumelle is a whole lot better. Very Happy

The snow cannons have obviously been working away and it is pretty amazing what the pisteurs can do. The best approach would seem to be to head for Monetier - the highest access point in the valley - and take it from there. High up looks good but skiing back to the valley will be a challenge!! The skiing in Monetier is great with a very atmospheric mountain environment.

If Monetier (plus whatever else is accessible) is not enough then Montgenevre might be worth a look for one day at least. It's higher so in theory should hold the snow longer - though I haven't looked.

All a bit unfortunate compared to a couple of weeks ago. On the plus side there may be some more snow next week and it is to get colder.

Hope your mate has a good time.
snow conditions
@Kevin Byrne, cunning plan, and trying to be optimistic but all subject to snow condition etc but this is what I sent out to some mates today that will be out 20th onwards and are getting a tad worried.

https://goo.gl/maps/IjIAr usually the road (D89T) is shut just pass Cervieres but it could well be open all the way up the valley to the Refuge Des Fonts, or at least to the first parking at Les Chalps, especially to a 4x4 and if you look at the image below some nice touring routes (blue dashed lines) and interesting safe terrain.

The road in the winter is usually a ski du fond route.

http://www.skitour.fr/refuges/refuge-des-fonts-de-cervieres,97.html

ski holidays
He's seriously thinking about dumping the skis and taking the mountain bikes instead.

He's also looking at his holiday insurance. There's a clause in there about piste closures. Not sure of it will allow him to cancel though.

They're all quite disappointed.
snow report
@shockingmoment, the news from the resort is that 70% of the pistes will be opening at the weekend. There won't be many people around now as the place doesn't open until tomorrow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, what's the latest?

How was the first day?

Thanks
snow conditions
So guess what day I'm hoping to be driving over the Col to arrive in Serre rolling eyes

snow report
Not good. They cancelled. They were going for the skiing - he couldn't see the point of travelling if conditions are as dire as they appear, and the forecasts don't help.

Not sure how they stand re insurance. Tomorrow. Should be an interesting conversation.

They'll save their holidays for another time. Half term beckons i think.
latest report
Mates parents have just booked the Frejus Hotel which is now a Crystal Club Hotel 20th Dec for £306 pp inc flights / transfers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
@shockingmoment, although skiing is limited to the higher slopes, friends already out there report quiet slopes and decent snow on the ones that are open. Shame.
snow report
and it has snowed a small amount overnight.
snow report
Shame indeed. He’ll lose quite a chunk of money.

Holidays are limited though, and he said he’d rather save the time off to go when there’s decent snow across the entire ski area.

Part of the experience is seeing everything covered in white and not having to trudge through mud!

Fingers crossed for the 20th!

How much snow overnight?
ski holidays
shockingmoment wrote:
Shame indeed. He’ll lose quite a chunk of money.

Holidays are limited though, and he said he’d rather save the time off to go when there’s decent snow across the entire ski area.

Part of the experience is seeing everything covered in white and not having to trudge through mud!

I'd say he's made the correct decision, despite the financial hit. Forecast for week ahead not great. Looks like going to be quite mild for next few days at least.
Some may be happy with a few days away from home just enjoying the scenery and perhaps some limited skiing but most people investing a week of their holiday and hard earned money for ski holiday want to clock up high mileage on the slopes across the entire resort.
snow report
Part of an email exchange with friends in La Grave today.........

...don't hold your breath...
and don't look too much out of the widow: have seen more snow in july than now.
have a safe trip et à bientôt!
M

On 15/12/2014 11:46, Gavin Baylis wrote:

Have you seen the forecast for Tuesday, tomorrow ?

Guess who'll be driving (hopefully) over the Col Smile

Ciao

G
snow report
Looking at the webcams this morning the Cucumelle ridge is still white and it's cold enough for the cannons to be running at Serre Ratier.
snow report
SR is looking an awful lot whiter than a couple of days ago. Is that all artificial snow?

Only looks a couple of cm deep, but the few people that are there are wearing skies - which can only be good.
latest report
@shockingmoment, the cannons have been going, but I also think there was a little bit of the real stuff fell on Monday. I am reliably informed that the snow that is there is good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy