Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre-Chevalier, France 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Hells Bells,

21:07 temp down to +1.7 and a few wet soggy things falling down now.

Will we awake to whiteness ??

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 16-01-15 21:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
15 minute updates from now on please, Hells Bells... Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually, you can leave the next one for 30 mins as just popping out to get the curry... Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hold the front page, snow* now starting to lay on the bird table!!

Temp down to +1.5 and snow also laying on van.

*nice big flakes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, I'm winding up my business in 3 weeks, but not yet sold the house Sad
Hopefully the build-up to spring will see a flurry of purchasers, then we'll be out like rats up a drainpipe Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tad disappointing depth on the bird table, patio / garden in terms of coverage as you can see on the Cam, if only that rain in resort that fell yesterday was snow Crying or Very sad

Anyway up top should be interesting and they've been blasting all morning, so I'm getting my shite together to do first lifts.

Hoping changeover day etc should be nice easy (safe) stashes to be had all morning.

As for weather high cloud and temps in the valley zero and down here not much in the way of wind, but looking through telescope further up 1900m + trees look like wind's been at them.

Forecast is for snow flurries along with the occasional glimpse of the sun.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is a copy of an email sent to my mates after an excellent morning today, who have been ribbing me about the poor conditions (off piste) recently.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that was one of the better mornings in Serre Smile

Ok viz could have been a bit better, and would have been superb if it had been a blue bird day, but I'm not complaining.

Took first lifts and took the shitty chair up with a French dude (ABS & fat skis etc) who lives in Chamonix and is here for a few days, and he could not believe how few people were around.

We parted our ways when I went off the shitty chair through the trees and then he was four or five up on me on the drag when I peeled off and did a few laps off the drag waiting for Vallons to open.

Seemed I had the off piste on Vallons to my self for the first three lifts, partly because most people were skiing without guides / instructors and didn't trust themselves going off to the right (as you go up) of the chair as light was very flat.

Saw quite a few snow boarders who tried only to be stuck up to their waists as they had to walkout having misjudged the terrain Smile

Every time I got back to the chair lifties were asking me how was it as they appreciated I was not skiing the piste etc and I was telling them best day of the season, but that's not that difficult!

More groups started to tear up the terrain so I traversed high where I went on Wednesday and there was one track and I could see the guy way down below me heading off in the direction that I wanted to go, as significantly more snow than Wed meant it should be possible to drop after the bowls through the trees into Frejus.

And that was mission accomplished.

Red dashed line roughly the traverse.

Did two more runs like that, with me on the second getting quite stroppy with a group (from the looks of things 50% of them with no safety gear) taking "my" traverse and making a right pigs ear out of it (slowing down), though they did not go all the way, so again had it all the myself.

Third and last time caught a couple up who were on touring kit and I though the guy was a guide, they started pontificating a bit so I carried on and then shouted to them to follow me, to then see the woman not quite being able to manage the steep slope and powder.

I was primed all the time with the trigger in as could have been quite easy to to end up on a loaded slope in the bad viz either skiing or traversing.

Called it a day when the temps started warming up and powder was getting a tad heavy, but by then I was getting fussy Smile

Touring tomorrow?

Have played around with the images as light was quite flat.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Did two more runs like that, with me on the second getting quite stroppy with a group (from the looks of things 50% of them with no safety gear) taking "my" traverse and making a right pigs ear out of it

Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not quite out for first lifts (no alarm clocks on holiday) but just in time for top lifts to start opening. However the boarder I was sharing the chairlift with had other ideas and managed to swipe his board under my skis as he was getting of the chair and threw me to the ground Evil or Very Mad . Fortunately liftie Max was on duty stopped the lift and restored my dignity. Boarder buggered off of course. Fortunately nothing badly hurt but bit shaky for a while until the choc au rhum kicked in. Hubby's back has also been really sore, so came back early for massage.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And yes, the snow was fabulous. although still sketchy at the bottom from yesterdays rain.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Boarder buggered off of course.

rolling eyes not a nice start to the day, @Hells Bells. Hope there are no ill effects.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Feel like I've been battered with a baseball bat this morning. Black and blue upper arm, and one of my knees is really sore.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, Sad Take it easy today.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, if knee is really bad, I have my cryo cuff icer with me you can borrow, likewise for the other half I have my Stick which is brilliant at massaging spasms out of backs etc.

Just back from a simply superb ski tour, now trawling through the photos, and think I have one brilliant worthy calendar snap of the dogs.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, thanks for the offer, had a gentle day and things ache but I'll live. Not too bad now the bruising is coming out.
snow report
@Hells Bells, oh dear, was that from being thrown to the ground by the snow boarder? Extremely annoying.
ski holidays
This morning was simply superb.

I know I could have probably skied off piste straight off the lifts (well maybe a bit of a hike) but I really wanted to get away and more importantly take the dogs and really give my new skis an outing in what they were really designed for.

And it was mission accomplished.

Here's a few pics

Many more pictures and a video of the dogs running down, plus more words etc about the day here
latest report
That last picture of the dogs is tremendous. snowHead
snow report
I'm just back from a week at the UCPA centre in Serre Chevalier. Our guide for the wk, Lionel Coutton-Jean, did a great job keping us entertained, including doing a day of randonee, until the snow finally arrived. Despite the poor conditions it was one of the best ski holidays I've had. I'll definitely be back.
latest report
@Tom Doc, what did you do on wet Friday, was quite a day up there ?!

As for this week might not actually see much of the sun, could be snow on and off most days but no substantial amounts, though hopefully forecast will change for the better, more snow that is!

Don't mind missing out on the sun for a week or so if it means snow, but not just dribbles of the stuff, no good to man or dogs Confused

snow report
Mate sent me this, The "Lost Village" - latest film in the Salomon Freeski TV series - Nevache.

http://youtube.com/v/GrTEOuny_9c

Waiting for OH to turn up coming from Turin with a mate who has hired a car so will be good to know what conditions they encounter.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, love the vid of your dogs snowHead
snow conditions
The combined view from all the forecasts seems to be 10 - 15cm for the week and then a return to sunshine for the early days of next week. But staying cold so whatever falls should at least stay put.

Back out on Sat and right now still planning to travel.

A strange year no doubt.
ski holidays
@Weathercam,

Love the dogs.
ski holidays
OH arrived from Turin and reported sunshine in Montgenevre and just walked back from the village and looks like could be sun at altitude, but webcams not showing it, maybe cloud coming and going?

15:30 been dribbling light snow for the past hour here in the valley (temp hovering around zero) but not laying, maybe more settling up top?

15:50 starting to settle and the scenario on here is encouraging http://www.radareu.cz/
snow conditions
It has snowed all day up in Monetier, mainly light stuff, but heavy cloud up top kept us in the trees this morning, Occasional glimpses of sun, but reports from others were of poor visibility .. We went up to Le Casset with Lola about 3pm, much heavier on our way back, and no sign yet of it letting up. How much remains to be seen of course, but it will have freshened things up nicely.
snow conditions
Great vid Gavin, makes me all the keener to get out there!
snow report
@Weathercam, It was really wet in resort but plenty of fresh snow falling up the mountain. Spent alot of time in the trees, it was the best day skiing we had - goretex was worth its weight in gold!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Almost like Japan out there according to friends who have described it to me, in that a fine snow fall, all though here does not seem to amount to that much in terms of depth here in the valley Puzzled

So after peros in the Maison le Bez and dinner in Cavaillou (mates b'day) tomorrow we're planning on first lifts as he has new all mountain Scott Adventures (which I've already used Toofy Grin ).

Then back to work as have crappy client / email probs to sort Shocked
ski holidays

This mornings update from the terrace
ski holidays
Planning a day away this week, am I right that you get a day at in the via lattea with a 6 day pass?

Very keen to ski in Italy so would prob skip past montgenevre, not sure if they're all linked? Any ideas on best place to start from?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 20-01-15 13:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Wasn't too much to wake up to this morning which was a tad disappointing, but up on the hill was more than enough fresh to have a play.

The view of our tracks from the Barres drag, whilst our friend skied the piste (way left of tree in picture) and that was pretty well the story of the morning skiing inter-piste-off-piste with viz coming and going with the passing cloud along with snow flurries / showers.

Have a very happy "client" with his new skis and boots, just need to entice him into the soft stuff.

latest report
@driz, we usually drive down to Cesana and get the bubble up Sansicario and then that links into Saux and onwards and upwards to Sestrierre, rather than faff around in Clavierre
http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/via-lattea/trail-map/
snow conditions
Later start to day, nipping down to Riquet to get the other White Doctor piste skis as think we're taking our "client" piste cruising today lunch in the Station.

Forecast(s) have light snow Noon onwards and more tomorrow though nothing too substantial.

And sunny Friday - ski touring again ?
snow conditions
@Weathercam, thanks for the tip, got to Cesana about 850 this morning and currently lunching in sauze. Very easy, cheers!
snow report
What is Saturday shaping up to be like? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Depends what we get tomorrow, but don't think we're looking at too much. Did have the odd crystal today, though forecast is for later.

Light was very flat today, and pistes all in good nick, though surprised at how much in the Briancon sector was shut today.

Still plenty of soft snow around and good in the trees up top.

Did Luc Alphond, Casse du Bouef and finished off back to Pointless so all runs to resort ok, though not too sure about Monetier as still looks a fair number of pistes closed, but you can ski all the way down on the Rochamout.

Quite enjoyed being on piste skis, scared myself a couple of times at speed rolling eyes
latest report
Looks like another big dump is being forecast for Thurs / Fri of next week (29th and 30th). Too far away to start the waxing but if it comes to pass it will be another 50cm. Just what's needed.

YR.NO
http://www.yr.no/place/France/Provence-Alpes-Côte_d’Azur/Serre_Chevalier/long.html
(Sorry, dunno how to create a link in a post. Maybe you have to be a mega-something or other) Sad
snow report
Well being glass half empty that will all change for the worse Puzzled

Here's the right link to the YR long term
snow conditions
Aya still closed but not sure why. Maybe just becauseit is so quiet. Stade,, Chaume and. Rateau have opened since the weekend, Theyve been making snow every night this week on Aya as I cn see it from my window. . Snow great but light flat. Skied across to Serre Ratier and back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy