Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Ski Carridge

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm sure this has been asked a number of times before...but....we're going to Breckenridge for new year and are flying with BA. I'm trying to work out how ski carriage works with them. As far as I can see you just have to pay for an extra bag (i.e. a charge for the ski bag and one for boots) - unless boots can be fitted elsewhere. Seems a bit of an odd way to do this and will add up to quite a substantial amount and therefore might be better to hire...

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

Anyone have any ideas?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everything in a coffin bag. Boots in your carry on wheelie. Simples.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^^^ + 1
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just make sure the overall dimensions of the coffin bag comply with their regulations.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If there are 2 of you take a ski bag with both pairs of skis and a big holdall with everything else, or do the coffin bag as Dave says
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With 23kg of cabin baggage allowed you don't really need to purchase an extra bag. I usually take just about all my clothing in my cabin bag, and have a double ski bag in the hold with my skis & boots, my wife's XC skis & boots and a few other bits and pieces. Anything I can't fit in my cabin bag goes into one of the kids hold bags.

They do have a maximum length of 190 cm, but I have never been caught out by that (mine is actually 195) - just smile nicely and say of course it's not too long Smile

For normal hold bags:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances
Quote:

Oversized bags

Larger items of up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) can be carried for an additional over-sized bag charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.)

Any items larger than 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) require separate shipping as cargo.

For sporting goods (they say slightly ambiguously "Many types of sports equipment can be carried as part of your free checked baggage allowance") :

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

Quote:
We will accept ski and snowboard equipment up to 190cm (75in) in length provided it is packed correctly.

Please ensure that you:

pack your skis and snowboards in a recognised ski or snowboard bag
pack your ski poles with your skis
pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard - either within your free allowance or in another bag (any bags over your free allowance are subject to additional charges)

NB. I did query the meaning of the boots in a separate bag, and was told that I could take skis in one bag and boots in another as a part of my hold baggage allowance as long as it was within the weight.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can't take an extra bag ie boot bag or you will be charged for it. FOC. ski bag up to 23kg as one persons hold baggage allowance. Boots go in other persons hold bag and the generous (as aforementioned) hand baggage allowance. If you put clothing in with skis make sure they're plastic bagged if your ski bag isn't waterproof. Have travelled several times like this, skis are recognised as such and are fine, but have to be within weight limits. Just make sure any hand baggage with boots in doesn't exceed the size limits. If the bag looks ok they'll let it through, but don't risk them saying it won't go in the cabin locker.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Travel first class - and get your luggage picked up and delivered, as I read the BA web site. Simples.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or fly Swiss and send it ahead on the train.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
musher wrote:
Or fly Swiss and send it ahead on the train.

It's an effin special train that can get to Breckenridge.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for putting ski equipment and clothes in a coffin bag as your only bag, plus hand luggage.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kat.ryb, + another one. But, because I'm a midget, I use a board bag for my hold luggage (inc skis). Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica,

You're lucky, Mrs M's XC skis are longer than any of mine Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some great info and advice - thank you! A number of options to consider -and all feasible....well maybe not getting the train Very Happy

I'll feedback on what we end up doing! Never skied the Rockies before...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You'll love Breckenridge, it's great.
ski holidays
I'm looking at booking BA from Heathrow to GVA. At what point in the process can you add extra luggage to cover ski's ? There doesn't seem to be an option in the booking forms and upgrading works out more expensive.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., whenever I've flown with BA (6 flights last year) I've always used a double wheelie ski bag for 2 pairs of skis and put a few more items in that bag, along with a large-ish other bag that can hold all the other kit, both of these hold baggage. Then both Mrs Skimastaaah and myself carry on our boots in our cabin baggage (23kgs allowance each). BA is rather generous with the allowances, just ensure you keep to the baggage dimensions. I'm not sure there's a need to "add" extra luggage just to carry skis, it's more about using the baggage allowance thoughtfully.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., What skimastaaah, said. Except if you are travelling alone (as I usually am) you don't need the extra hold bag, just big wheeled ski bag and carry on.
snow report
skimastaaah, Iski, Cheers. I usually have a large travel bag plus ski bag. The idea is then to make the most of the cabin bag allowance.

I'm so used to the easyjet rules I've assumed that they are the standard.
snow report
Quote:

Everything in a coffin bag. Boots in your carry on wheelie. Simples.

Just what I always do. No problem.
ski holidays
BA always been good for me with sports kit - I take a bike in a box on cycling trips and as long as it complies with the weight allowance they take it as my checked luggage . . . . Just take clothes in your hand luggage. Skis are therefore a breeze.
snow conditions
I'm flying with BA next month to Salzburg and at the end of January to Denver. I also agree with the interpretations of their website as commented above, ie carry skis, poles, and all clothes (plastic bagged!) in a double ski bag as checked hold luggage (up to 23kgs), and ski boots as carry on cabin baggage.
snow report
Don't you get 2x hold bags on transatlantic flights?
snow report
Don't think so on ordinary flight, maybe first class??
ski holidays
I have no experience of first class on a transatlantic flight, alas!
snow report
The other option is to get the Premium cabin package - even if you do this one way, you get the baggage allowance (an extra bag) _both_ ways.
If you want to sleep on one of the flight legs, it's worthwhile, and if you need the extra luggage capacity, the marginal extra cost can be quite low (clearly, depends on the premium for going Premium).
Did this to Whistler, and it worked very well.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info on this thread. It's saved me £36 each way. A BA person told me that I should add my skis AFTER the booking, via Manage My Booking , but didn't tell me what I have learned here. I hauled out of the booking process to check you gurus and glad I did so.
snow report
Furthermore, shoot me down if I'm wrong , but I have re- read their Cabin Baggage section several times and I reckon I can take in the cabin 2 bags, each up to 23 kg. They have max sizes and the smaller has to go under the seat in front, but WOW that's huge. So my skis and boots will go in a 170 snowboard bag with a few clothes (right shoulder) , one wheeled cabin bag for most clothes (pull with left hand) and a rucsac (smallish and certainly less than 23 kg). |Mobile and happy. And all for £106 to Verona. Beats EZY.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Farley Goode,
Yes, you get 2 bags in the cabin. One is the 23kg small suitcase, and the other is supposed to be a handbag / laptop, but I've never seen BA query anything that wasn't "reasonable".
latest report
Seeing as I started this topic, thought I'd better update it with what we did in the end. After some deliberation we decided to add an extra bag (£50 each way). So that meant 3 hold bags, two normal cases with our clothes and boots and one ski bag with two pairs of skis + various random things (gloves, hats etc...). Work well and no issues, in fact it was incredibly easy.

Love Breckenridge - skied 08:30 to 16:00 every day. Was minus 30 at points, but was still fun! No issues with altitude. Got the free bus to Keystone for a day - that was brilliant deserted runs and great snow.

On the way back conditions were interesting at Denver Airport...

.....not sure Heathrow would have coped quite so well!
latest report
Thanks for the update @mcboz, only 3 weeks before I'm off to Denver... that trip will include day excursions to Copper Mountain as well as Breckenridge whilst staying in Winter park for 10 days. Based on your feedback, I'll be sure to take the warmer kit options I have snowHead
snow report
@mcboz, Im just about to do this on my trip to Whistler, they seem to say that there is no need to pre warn them you have skis, was that your experience?
snow report
@scubadancer, It was really cold however, I think it was exceptional - there was a cold weather warning in force and was the top story on the local news. Had to buy a full facemask - that worked really well and seemed to be the norm on the mountain. We fancied Copper but we couldn't use our Breck lift passes there so went to Keystone instead (plus the bus was free to Keystone).

@SkiG, Didn't need to advise them that we would be taking skis. Had to take them to the oversized baggage area after checking in though.

Have fun!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy