Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Glacier Snow - Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Poster: A snowHead
Stubai...

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, very nice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So I'm back from a day up on the Kitzsteinhorn. Tired but with a massive grin on my face. Plenty of fresh snow for us to play in, got some nice off piste runs in, mostly just off the sides of the pistes and also down to the Alpin centre. Did see tracks going further down too. Much more open there now, and there's a piste down to the Alpincente open.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, are you a bit more relaxed for your trip Smile following last weeks storm?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, just be careful 'cos the crevasses are still a lot more open than usual, and while this snow will definitely have covered them I'm not convinced it will really have bridged them...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, just back from the weekend at Sölden, have to say that the snow is better than last year both in quantity as well as quality. Love that squeaky sound as you walk over it. It snowed again up there last night and was cold enough today that even something like 30,000 spectators and skiers could not get it to go slushy except at the very edges near the Rettenbach restaurants.

Racing was brilliant by the way, both days wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, I watched the mens...really feel the season is close now Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Are you a bit more relaxed for your trip following last weeks storm?
Oh yes Very Happy! Really looking forward to it - in fact can't wait! Mind as I'd said earlier, we would have made the most, no matter what.

We really are easily pleased where skiing is concerned wink.

Quote:
just be careful 'cos the crevasses are still a lot more open than usual, and while this snow will definitely have covered them I'm not convinced it will really have bridged them
Thanks - piste it is then!! Skullie

Quote:
Racing was brilliant by the way, both days
Glad you enjoyed it Smile.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They've opened up a bit more now, couple more chairs open, not pisted down to the top of Gletscherjet 1, but you can get below the Alpin centre to access the 6 man chair back up (can't remember the name, only used it once today which was first day of it opening). Odd bits of veg showing through on the piste approaching the Alpin centre, but they've got the cannons on up top, albeit they've got one facing one of the t-bar queues, not fun!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict wrote:

Quote:
just be careful 'cos the crevasses are still a lot more open than usual, and while this snow will definitely have covered them I'm not convinced it will really have bridged them
Thanks - piste it is then!! Skullie

There is also a fair bit of safe offpiste too, but sorry, I'm not prepared to try and explain where on a forum!! Particularly as I'm not a guide, not infallible, and haven't been up in a couple of weeks. If I was able to make it over to show you it'd be different, but I'm not sure I'll be able too.

The lift staff are very helpful if you ask for directions to safe offpiste. Also drop into the Stubai Freeride Centre office in Neustift and ask Patrick Ribis for advice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sitter, nice! Photos?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not really got photos apart from the odd customary 'view from the top looking over the mountains/lake'. Going up over the weekend for fun so will have time for photo taking then. Can tell it's half term week tho, queuing quite a bit to get up the mountain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now back from Stubai and Hintertux:

Day 1: Stubai (Skied from 2.30pm) - Blue sky; mainly packed powder and very decent cover - though a few icy/bare bits and some rocks on the run to the middle station. The car parks were packed but it wasn't too busy on the mountain.

Day 2: Stubai - ditto day 1 report.

Day 3: Hintertux - Some fog but mainly blue sky; slightly better snow than Stubai (no rocks); and the place was very quiet. Wind was very strong and worsened through the day - to the point where the top section of the Gletscher Bus (double cables and all) was a bit scarey by close of play.

Day 4: Hintertux - Arrived 8am for a couple of hours skiing before driving back to Munich Airport - but found the mountain stormbound for the day Crying or Very sad.

A great time had by all Very Happy - despite me ripping an edge off a ski on the rocks at Stubai Confused (I'll hammer it back into place and just use the other edge for now....). We were particularly impressed by the refurbished (since we last visited) Tuxer Fernerhaus at Hintertux middle station. The self service restaurant is really nice and there's a posh (separate) table service restaurant with very reasonable prices (eg €4 for soup). You can go in the posh bit just for drinks too - it's got a really nice comfy seating bit with a real fire Smile.

We skied with Bergmeister - who borrowed my camera as he and Mrs B were staying longer. Photos will follow in a couple of days once I get the camera back Smile.

Quote:
Bergmeister heard on the radio that someone was airlifted to hospital from Hintertux last weekend after falling down a crevasse Skullie.

And on a happier note, it's dumping snow to valley levels (again) today Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, thanks for the report! Looks like I'll be in Stubai and maybe Hintertux this long weekend Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Enjoy @horizon - wishing I was there... Sad
snow conditions
Quote:
Photos will follow in a couple of days once I get the camera back
Here you go - Stubai and Hintertux, 1-3 Nov 2014 Very Happy:

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 8-11-14 22:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Good amount of snow but crusty or VERY crusty in places at Stubai today. Still managed some decent turns (and broke a carbon Dynafit pole).
ski holidays
Just back from a week in Kaprun skiing on the Kitz glacier with Singlesport and Skivolution. Great week! the snow was pretty good considering how warm it was. This was my first time on the glacier and the first time I have skied this early in the season. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the place and the variety of pistes available. Big shout out to Ruth for organising it, Dave for running it and to instructor Rob who had to put up with me all week.
ski holidays
I went to Stubai yesterday. It was snowing Toofy Grin It's hard for me to say how much new snow there was as I didn't get an opportunity to ski beyond the button lift behind the Gamsgarten restaurant. I'd guess at half a metre or more. The snow was lovely and the temperature was properly winter cold. Officially the run to middle station wasn't open but it looked like a few people missed the sign wink
latest report
Been snowing the past two days up on the Kitzsteinhorn too. Visibility poor and quite cold at times when the wind picked up. Some nice off piste turns in fresh powder snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy