Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze d'Oulx

Poster: A snowHead
We have bought flights to Turin for the end of Jan and looks like this will be our venue for a boys weekend away.

Have you any recommendations for accommodation and location as I've heard that you can be badly placed for lift access?

Would never have considered here but one of our group is championing it and the more I read about it the more it appeals.

We'll probably pick up a car at the airport for transfer, is there any ski in/out places?

Cheers in advance. Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
northantsred, I've stayed in Hotel Gran Baita - reasonably priced , 5mins uphill walk from bottom of Clotes lift. Also stayed in an apartment at the bottom of Strada Provinciale near the roundabout about 15mins walk from the bottom of Clotes lift. But there is a ski bus which makes getting around easy. There are hotels right at the end of the Clotes piste but I've no experience of them.

It is a great place. The only downside is if the links to Sestriere are closed. Otherwise I'd say it's a great base for the Via Lattea.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can be a steep climb up to the first lift if you stay too far below it. Quite tricky when it is icy and you are walking in ski boots. Not much parking in Sauze, would not advise driving there. The drive there can be very steep into resort, and all parking is mostly on a slope. Check weather forecasts as it will be difficult in bad weather.

Cannot comment on accommodation, but there are plenty close to the slopes, also a lot more which are cheaper lower down.

Not too much of a problem if you are fit.

NehNeh

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 8-10-14 17:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hotel La Torre is great and has a private minibus that laps the resort constantly so yo'll never wait more than 10 mins for a lift. We've done the annual lads trip there for the last 2 yrs and wouldn't consider changing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can recommend Chalet Chez Nous in Jouvenceaux (www.chaletcheznous.it). Lift a very short walk away, couple of good restaurants nearby.

Andrea, the owner, provides a taxi service up to Sauze (and back) if you want an evening out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
great choice - can't really help on accommodation (we stayed in Sestriere) but I think sauze is lovely. Great tree skiing too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
northantsred, I'm going there for the first time next March. As I've not actually stayed there yet, I can't comment on what the accommodation is like, but from the photo I've seen in the brochure, the small hotel we're booked into (The Hermitage) appears to be right next to a carpet lift which, in turn, leads to a nice ski down to one of the major lifts out of Sauze and up towards Sestriere.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Not much parking in Sauze, would not advise driving there. The drive there can be very steep into resort, and all parking is mostly on a slope

Parking at Sportinia is on the flat.

Just to reiterate, the ski bus is really good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
deerman wrote:
Can recommend Chalet Chez Nous in Jouvenceaux (www.chaletcheznous.it). Lift a very short walk away, couple of good restaurants nearby.

Andrea, the owner, provides a taxi service up to Sauze (and back) if you want an evening out.

That's a good shout.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Quote:

Not much parking in Sauze, would not advise driving there. The drive there can be very steep into resort, and all parking is mostly on a slope

Parking at Sportinia is on the flat.

Just to reiterate, the ski bus is really good.

I have stayed in Sauze D'Oulx. I never caught the bus once, probably because it was not as frequent as is suggested. Maybe it did not go through the pedestrian only zone where I stayed.

I suspect that parking at some hotel car parks, and underground car parks, are level. If it is free without having to stay at those hotels, then that is really useful information. I very much doubt it is free, unless you stay at the hotel. Often there will be an additional charge, even if you do stay there.

I very much doubt there are any ski in/ski out hotels which have level flat parking which is free. The road is particularly steep next to the first lift.

I found the bus completely useless. Better to walk than wait for the bus, however I was only a 10-15 min walk from the piste. If you are further away than that, then I suspect taking the bus would be a better option.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bigtipper,
Quote:
I very much doubt it is free, unless you stay at the hotel. Often there will be an additional charge, even if you do stay there.

Sorry bud you're wrong. Just to repeat myself rolling eyes I stayed in a hotel in 2006 so didn't need the bus but the walk aint too bad and I'm not a particularly fit person. Yes it's up hill but if you are a skier that even attempts some fitness training prior to your trip then the walk from the village centre (or anywhere in town) won't kill you.

I stayed in an apartment this year (see previous post) just up from the main coach stop. The ski bus stopped outside every 30 mins (how frequently do you need?). Ok if you miss one you could walk to Sportinia before the next one turned up but it is free and takes you to the Clotes lift and to Sportinia.

Quote:
the road is particularly steep next to the first lift
Perhaps you'd like chair lift to stop at your hotel balcony rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bigtipper,
the first time i took the missus skiing we went to Sauze. cant remember why, maybe there was a deal. On the transfer bus she had to sit on a pile of luggage and skis in the aisle, and after a while asks me if transfers are always like this. lol. Never taken another holiday with Thomson. In the hotel they used to parade the desert around the dining room on a trolley, dunno why it was never that special!!!
after a couple of days we ended up on a steeper run and she wasn't happy. I insisted it was only a blue, until i realised the blue piste marker was actually an advert for martini !!! happy days

getting back to the thread, i do remember the icy steepish road and the packed little resort buses. it wasnt all bad though, she loved the lessons and is still skiing 20 years later. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

On the transfer bus she had to sit on a pile of luggage and skis in the aisle

There speaks a gentleman.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
olderscot, ha ha, I genuinely cant remember if I was in the same boat, but good point, well made!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
halfhand wrote:
.....Perhaps you'd like chair lift to stop at your hotel balcony rolling eyes

Yes please Laughing
snow report
Bigtipper, Wouldn't we all, wouldn't we all wink
snow conditions
Stay anywhere and use lockers - the walks are fine in shoes. I did a full review on here of our trip to gran baita - def recommended.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2189153&highlight=sauze#2189153

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 11-10-14 9:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
We stayed near the bottom of Clotes and really enjoyed it. I can imagine that if you aren't very fit/willing that there are areas of town that you might find unappealing due to the bus/walk to the lifts, but on the whole I can't see it is any worse than most other resorts.
snow conditions
I've been three times and really enjoy it in Sauze. You get used to the walk but the bus is pretty good to. Had some awesome fun in the powder there last March Very Happy
ski holidays
lucinda.s wrote:
I've been three times and really enjoy it in Sauze. You get used to the walk but the bus is pretty good to. Had some awesome fun in the powder there last March Very Happy

We went last February and are going again next February; I've never seen so much untouched powder, it was amazing skiing fresh to the sides of the piste even into the late afternoon. I sat on a chairlift with a mad Italian who had a fat pair of powder skis on; he said he said that the Italians are much more into their graceful piste skiing than getting into the off-piste so there is very often huge amounts of untracked fresh to be had.

The walk to the lift in the morning is a bit of a bind but a decent warm up; the buses seemed a bit random but we walked most of the time in any case.
snow report
We've been to sauze the past two years. First time we went with a TO and stayed in the Hermitage which is next to the Clotes lift. You may struggle to get in there if not with a package but we also had a car and were able to park right outside since everyone else was using transfers. If you can do that you're laughing, it's a cheap cheerful hotel perfect for lad weekend.

The chalet chez nous is fantastic and only a short walk from the jouvencaux lift but it is quite a trek from sauze (though Andrea Is brilliant at dropping off and picking up) and I would say it's a little more the sort of place you go with the OH.
latest report
Sauze is great, we are hoping to return there in March for our lads trip. The walk up to Clotes is no bother really unless you are super unfit. Its actually quite good to clear a hangover before skiing and gets the blood going. We used the boot room at the ski shop at the lift so you really don't need to walk in boots anyway. I recall the buses being fairly frequent up to the lifts and used them once or twice without problem.

Ski area at Milky Way is good with a wide variety of runs for all abilities. Can't wait to go back there
latest report
The walk itself is not a problem, walking up hill on icy pavements in ski boots is a problem. It is even worse going downhill in ski boots on icy steep roads.

Most skiers do not carry a spare pair of shoes, and a rucksack to carry boots in. I almost always do now, especially if you want to climb up to an off piste area.

The parking in Sestriere is ample, level, and there is a separate campervan parking area.

NehNeh
snow conditions
Cat tracks NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
Bigtipper, ha - reminds me, the OH's first experience in ski boots on her first day was having to jump out of the way of a car that had lost grip and was sliding back down an icy road...she was mightily unimpressed
ski holidays
Stayed at hotel florida prata few January's ago
Is in centre, 10 min walk up to lifts... As others have mentioned wasn't so bad.
Hotel we booked independently. Food was good. Fairly basic hotel but worked for us. There was car park out front but we used bus from oulx station.
Ski room was basic-*a shed!
Skis were safe tho.
Would Def go back, if with OH would perhaps chose a different hotel.
snow conditions
you will love it in Sauze. went in March and going back again in March 2015. stayed in Miravalle which is at bottom of hill but we all managed to walk up in ski boots every morning although it is steep and takes about 10-15 mintes. Streets were clear in March though and don't know if i would fancy it in snow/ice. Staying at Hotel Splendid next year which is next to Clotes lift. Would advise staying in the centre of sauze as opposed to lower down in Joveneux. would also advise gettign transfers instead of rental car. enjoy
ski holidays
I love sauze been 6 times and back on Jan 11th, my advice is leave your skis and boots in the storage at either the clotes lift or at Endylinn store next to the Stella alpine then the up hill walk is a doddle we stay at the relaise hotel on the square. Enjoy Very Happy

hotel Splendid is half way up Cardiac hill ( You'll see !) but is a short walk across the road to the Clotes Slope Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
having walked it every day from the miravalle i will gladly do it from halfway. i couldn't think where the splendid was and thought it was the one right beside the magic carpet. Still not booked for Sauze in march yet. Got Ellmau in Feb and OH now fancies Saas Fee as we have never done Switzerland but i still think we will end up back in Sauze (hopefully)
latest report
I went to Sauze three times in the early 1970s - I can remember lots of walking to the Sportinia lift - and haven't been back since. However, I've been to Saas Fee several times and really like it despite the drawbacks of lots of walking (if you stay in the wrong part of town) and high altitude weather that can bring the lift system to a standstill.
snow report
Quote:

I can remember lots of walking to the Sportinia lift -

Should've used Clotes wink Laughing
snow report
I should have used Clotes but on two of the three visits it wasn't operating due to lack of snow!! Very Happy
snow report
that is a long walk, a very very long walk
snow conditions
so what hotels or apartments would you nominate as most convenient?

As a reference, convenience to lifts is important but also being near the après bars at the end of skiing is too.

And is it so bad to stay down in Jouvenceaux as it looks like there is a good uplift and a piste to ski home?
ski holidays
"..so what hotels or apartments would you nominate as most convenient?..."

For me -- Hotel Holiday Debili ; Stella Alpina ; Savoia Debili ; Hotel Sauze ; Hotel Hermitage
snow report
I've been to Sauze 4 times and love it there. Jovencaux is good if there's snow right down to there, as you can get the lift up to the main area and can ski back down later on. It is some way out of Sauze though and you'll be better off staying in the town itself if you're looking at après ski and nightlife. I've stayed at the Relaise twice and that's a great place but seems really expensive now. Hotel Sauze was basic but perfect location. Stayed in Jovencaux with OH and we were not hitting the bars so was not a problem but did walk into town on a couple of nights which was quite a trek.
ski holidays
I love Sauze, the only thing I hated was that first lift up the mountain, last time I was there it was a slow one, have they changed that.
ski holidays
lift system across the milky way is all a little antiquated but the scenery is great so i think it is bearable, the clotes lift up will not have changed but i thought it was okay the long two man up the mountain was the slowest and also went on one in montgenvre up to the top where Italy meets france which went on forever and ever and ever but worth it for the ski down.

Jovenceaux is a fair bit away if you are looking to spend time at apres and going out at night and i would defo recommend staying in Sauze if looking for this.
ski holidays
Dragging up an old thread that answers almost all of my questions.

Major one is that the whole ski area appears to be pretty much red. Is that red by Italian standards, very variable between green/blue and black but all groomed to within an inch of their lives, or is it really all proper red runs everywhere that early intermediates will struggle with?
latest report
Bigtipper wrote:
.....Not much parking in Sauze, would not advise driving there. The drive there can be very steep into resort, and all parking is mostly on a slope. Check weather forecasts as it will be difficult in bad weather......

I go to Sauze a fair bit from here in Serre on road trips nipping over when friends are there.

The beauty of Sauze is that it must be one of the easiest resorts to drive to!

It's motorway all the way to Oulx and then is only 6km up to resort and the road is very easy. Of course if you happen to arrive in a snow storm might be difficult but not half as bad as 90% of other resorts!

As for parking there I've never ever had a problem, in fact have quite a natty place I use which is up from the top ski lift and I just walk up to the piste (2mins) and ski down.

I have stayed there before (near the top lift) and there was parking at the hotel.

Mates did a boys trip there and the hotel arranged a mini bus to pick them up from Turin airport which is just an hours drive, subject the tangential autostrada (Turin ring road) not doing it's imitation of the M25 on a bad day.

If you're ever doing a day trip to the Via Lattea / Milky Way then top tip is to drive to Cesana and take the gondola up to Sansicario which links in to Sauze and Sestreirre, or drive up to Sansicario itself on nice wide open roads and loads of parking.

Sansicario was built for the Turin Olympics, it's where the bob sleigh track is etc and was home to a few other events, but the track has never been used since. And the runs are always deserted, bit like the village Puzzled

This is a great (very large) image of Sauze http://www.siriobluevision.it/2014/wp-content/files_mf/sauzenotri.jpg

And same for Cesana / Sans Sicario http://www.siriobluevision.it/2013/wp-content/files_mf/cesanasudnotri.jpg

Good site for the area http://www.siriobluevision.it/2013/cesana/cesana-torinese-ovest/

And I took this last Sunday whilst up cycling on the ridge on the opposite side to Sauze - you can clearly see how close it is to the motor way !

and this is Sanssicario (bob sleigh track clearly visible) from Mont Chaberton 3139m
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy