Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Season 14/15

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I finish my contract at my current job at the end of the year and have no dependents, or constraints so have decided to give the alps a shot as I am a definite "Mountain Person", hopefully I'll be able to settle in Chamonix one day.

In the short term I am debating going to Mayrhofen for a season. I've been to Mayerhofen before and really enjoyed it there, and I speak some German too, so a good starter.

But I do have a few questions that I hope you may be able to help with.

1. Will I be able get a bar/ waiter job at the start of January, or will everything be long gone? Ideally I'd like to get a marketing role as it's what I do at present, but I appreciate that will be almost impossible.

2. How much money is a good amount to take out to get me started? I should hopefully have around £2k with some luck and a tight couple of months.

3. Finding long term accommodation? Where Gould I look? Should I try to get it sorted before I go and what does monthly rent cost? Are the surrounding villages to Mayerhofen a better bet?

Any info appreciated! Cheers!

J

Ps edited the title as thought this could be used for others wanting to do a season too

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 7-10-14 6:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Daleybou1234, Good luck with your move to the mountains!
I can't answer regarding questions 1 and 2, but as regards question 3 a query to the tourist office may result in some helpful accommodation suggestions https://www.mayrhofen.at/en

P.S If you were to get a marketing role it's probably best to spell the name of the resort correctly, it's Mayrhofen..... wink

Edit: You might care to contact th1154 who posted in this thread, as he is also considering a season in Mayrhofen. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Alastair, much appreciated help, will take a look at that thread.

And ouch on that spelling mistake Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Alastair Pink, I think Daleybou1234 your idea to get a general thread going is a great one.

Weirdly i'm currently trying to convince a friend to come for the first part of the season as he has to be back in the uk early next year, so i could well be looking for a housemate at the time that you come out!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
th1154, As you're new to snowHeads you may not know that if you want to discuss your intended travel plans with Daleybou1234 you can send him a PM (Private Message) - just click on "Send/Read Messages" in the top right hand section of this page then on the new page that opens select "Write a Message" at the top left section. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I thought it would be good to have it on a public thread though, since it allows others to know my situation and possibly get in touch themselves - its quite a long shot that my housemate would be leaving at exactly the time Daleybou1234 was coming out
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm looking at potentially flying out on NYE from Stanstead and making my way across. I will hopefully be able stay at the Guesthof for 7-10 days and hopefully can get myself sorted with Job / acom in that time. I'm just worried that my provisional budget won't be enough to get me started and I may struggle to get a job. I've noticed the Zillertal pass seems pretty reasonable for a full season, which is a positive.

I could do with this next two months hurrying up now.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you get a job and registered on the tax system, then you can also apply for a discount on the pass. It will bring it down to probably around 550 euro, which at current exchange rate is pretty good going. Also dont forget the Tirol card if you want to go further afield. Only about 50 euro more and runs from October to middle of May
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, in a change of plans, I'm heading out on 30 Nov, flying from Stanstead to Salzburg, then going to get the train across to Jenbach and down to Mayrhofen.

Pretty excited, though a little nervous, with no job to go to. Here's hoping a bar job will come up and I won't be returning to the UK too early!

If anyone else is heading out at the same time, give me a shout!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Daleybou1234, Good luck and have lots of fun!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers @HoneyBunny hopefully will be a good one Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Daleybou1234, I'm flying out on the 29th! Have you found accommodation?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@piperfraz, not yet, I'm going to book 7/8 nights in the Guesthof and hope I can meet a few people to pair up with. How about you?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Daleybou1234, only heading out for a week initially as need to work over Christmas. Then will be heading back out in January for (hopefully) the rest of the season! I'm hoping to be staying with a friend who has a room when I'm there in December, though may end up booking into Gasthof instead. But while I'm out there I'm gonna try to source a place for January onwards. Maybe see you at the Gasthof!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy