Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
@lynseyf, thanks, you can be sure of it. Smile Now you're back in Scotland, you should post pix too. I'm getting over a frozen neck, so I stayed at home today instead of joining a group heading very early this morning to tour in the Torridon/Fannich area with a possible eye on An Teallach. It was the right decision but I will be sick with envy when I see their pix. I know that shoogly was at Glencoe today so I'm sure he'll post some blue sky photos to make me green too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heading to Glencoe tomorrow. Yellow trousers, Blue Haglofs jacket and white helmet.

Cheers
Bob
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf At Glencoe? We were a group of four (x2 couples) - all with touring kit. Might have been spotted as a two as we did a couple of runs separately.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weekend pics, as mentioned earlier Smile

Cairngorm pea souper - 27 Dec 2014:

Glencoe - 28 Dec 2014:

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice, especially like the 2nd last picture (somewhere over 'The Wall' ?). Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What are peoples favourite Scottish resorts? I skied Cairngorm last winter and was debating NEvis Range this year.

I enjoyed Cairngorm and love Aviemore, but I'm well aware that wind can ruin things quickly. Is this the same for all Scottish resorts or mainly the Cairngorm based ones?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great day up at the Coe today. Fabulous snow on the spring run and in the main basin. All for the very reasonable price of £25, thank you very much. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Daleybou1234,
Quote:

What are peoples favourite Scottish resorts?

Love glencoe, but the best resort in Scotland is wherever the elements have left the best snow at any given time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Daleybou1234,
I'm another for Glencoe. In good conditions there are just so many interesting options, and the scenery is great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, yeah think I did see you, I remember standing behind a couple at the top lift who both had touring kit and also sat at the same table as 2 folk with touring kit in the plateau cafe. Were you skinning up at Glencoe at all, I'm sure I skied someone going uphill but am now thinking I hallucinated it.

@moffatross, Not done anything very exciting for a while, I don't have touring skis at the minute, I'm between skis (and jobs Wink ) but hopefully get something soon and get out and find some nice snow
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for Glencoe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatrossThat photo is on the Spring Run - there's a really steep bit if you traverse across about two thirds of the way down on skiers' far left.

lynseyf We did start to skin up from the top of the Wall tow before the Main Basin T Bar came on. However, no sooner did we set off then the lift came on...So we took our skins off and went up on the tow instead.You'd have been lucky to spot us skinning as we only did about two minutes! Mrs MA and I did pop into the Plateau Cafe to get warm-but so did our touring partners(!!) - so it could have been us.

In terms of favourite Scottish areas, we've had so many great days at all of them - eg:
- Glencoe - Fantastic snow like yesterday; summer skiing with the lifts running into May; ski touring at the end of June; a ski touring April powder day when the lifts were closed due to lack of snow
- Nevis - An epic April powder day. Fresh tracks for hours & Back Corries knee deep.
- Glenshee - Early season ski touring with no lifts running. Only us and a few mountain hares.
- Lecht - October skiing on mine and Mrs MA's first ski trip together; Excellent conditions in another year on 1st November.
- Cairngorm - May powder; November skiing; the joys of skinning up to ski the Ciste in May/June; hiking up to ski an August snow patch; the over the back descents to Loch Avon (so near the ski area but so far from the madding crowd); skinning up Lurchers Gully; the near-vertical joys of Coire Laogh Mor; wild-camping for June ski touring and drinking beer until 1am in almost daylight; lifts running into May with temperatures of 22C at the ski area and 25C at Loch Morlich; skiing on Midsummer's Day the year that they set up a rope tow on the remaining snow in the Ptarmigan Bowl.

Happy days Very Happy.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 30-12-14 0:19; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glencoe is brilliant but I have also had fantastic times at Glenshee its all down to the conditions, a couple of years ago we skied three weeks in Scotland and after Easter one year we even had google marks with the sun!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glencoe is a amazing place when you can ski anywhere with full cover.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Peter S, @T Bar, @AndAnotherThing.., @meandrew, I think we have a definite favourite, what's access to glencoe via public transport like, as I'll be getting the train to a Base then need to get to the lifts each day? I drove through Glen Coe in August and it looked a way out.

@mountainaddict, that description of wild camping for June ski touring sounds like absolute heaven! snowHead
snow report
It was brilliant Daleybou1234! It's a 5 hr drive for us to get there so we didn't arrive until 11.30pm after finishing work. We've done it about 4 or 5 times in May/June - we usually camp near the Daylodge in the Cas car park, or kip in the back of the car (seats go flat for a comfy night in the Hotel Mondeo!) if there is only the two of us.
ski holidays
Where has the best snow at present?

Nearest Airport?

Driving time from the suggested Airport to resort?

I've never skied Scotland, fancying a weekend!
snow report
@mountainaddict, Yeah it would be the same travel time for me, Where in the NE are you from? I'm from North Yorks but keep finding myself moving to Newcastle for a period of time and work, then deciding to move away to try something new, then ending up back in Newcastle. I think it's trying to tell me something!

Sleeping in a car is always a winner. I remember sleeping in the back of a mates Renault Espace in Devon for a couple of nights with the back seats removed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Any updates on the conditions up there now? Itching to get back on skis soon
ski holidays
@1873Chris, word in the office is that only Cairngorm has been open recently but they've not got many lifts on and it's been very busy. Lecht and Glenshee not got enough to ski. Although it looks like there should be some snow coming through at the weekend,

Not so sure about Glencoe or Nevis as they're a lot further away for us (4-5hrs instead of 1.5-2hrs).
snow conditions
@1873Chris - changing on daily basis at the moment, if last week at Glencoe was anything to go by. Powder and sunshine one day, slush and clag the next, and icy and sketchy a couple of days later.
ski holidays
@1873Chris, go here for latest info http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
ski holidays
Daleybou1234Just saw your 1st Jan query - we're in Stockton (Norton to be precise).Moving to Newcastle could slash your travel time to Scotland by up to an hour wink !
ski holidays
Forecast looking good for snow over the weekend, although high winds on the hills might not allow the lifts to run from what I can tell.
snow report
Glencoe has the most terrain and lifts open - had a couple of cracking days there between xmas and new year. Still got a good base despite todays weather and should be even better after the forecast storms - weekend doesn't look good for wind speeds. Back corries at nevis should be catching a lot more too.
ski holidays
How's Cairngorm looking this past week? looking at the weather forecast this morning there should be a fair dump up there this weekend!
latest report
BBC weather has just said a gust of 140mph !! Was recorded at the top of Cairngorm
ski holidays
Today's ECM modelled spectacular accumulations of snow for the West Highland mountains by next Friday. After a final freeze/thaw cycle on Sunday, Meall a Bhuiridh for example was outlooked over 100 mm of rain equivalent, all falling as snow above about 700 metres. It'd be a stunning outlook even if it was the GFS modelling it, but when the ECM is saying 'jackpot', it's time to get very, very excited. Cool

Will Glencoe have the most fresh snow in Europe by the end of the week ?

Glencoe ski centre summit

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@moffatross, wow - the Alps sure could do with some of that!
ski holidays
I'm sure the Alps will get their time, Arno Happy For Scotland though, it's good to see the winds shifting about a bit too this week, as we so often get storm cycles that push pretty much everything to the eastern aspects leaving west sides stripped. Wind slab forecasting could be pretty complex by the end of the week though Shocked
snow conditions
hmm, blocks out diary for Sun 18th thru Wed 21st Jan Smile
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Daleybou1234Just saw your 1st Jan query - we're in Stockton (Norton to be precise).Moving to Newcastle could slash your travel time to Scotland by up to an hour wink !

Not too far from me at home then. Forecast 8cm over the next two days on Teesside. Hopefully get the skis up to ROseberry topping if thats the case! Toofy Grin
snow report
Couple of different views today from the winterhighland cams installed at Glencoe. What the storm will do tonight and tomorrow, who knows ? But there's a shed load more snow coming Very Happy I'm there on Friday for some more avalanche safety traiining with Davy Gunn, whether we can use a lift to access the hill or not is questionable.

Weekend looking much better weather-wise though. Cool

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 14-01-15 15:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@moffatross, I'm planning to be up there skiing Tues 20th and Wed 21st Jan, hopefully things will be sorted post storm by then!!
latest report
@kitenski, you might see some very nice conditions. Where are you staying ?
ski holidays
Hi - any news from the new ski area (or at least ski slope) in southern Scotland?
Up and running yet?
snow report
@moffatross, just booked into the Fort William Travel Lodge can cancel up til noon on arrival day which is good!!
latest report
@kitenski, that's handy for the West. Might get up midweek myself if conditions look special.

@Neil Neige, we're nearly there. Need the weather to ease a bit for us though ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111476&start=40#2654500

Photo of some foraging deer taken from one of today's SAIS blogs ...

ski holidays
Sais 'royal flush' this evening, severe warnings for all 5 areas:

http://www.sais.gov.uk

Going to be up this weekend but not decided where to go yet.
latest report
I'll probably be at Glenshee on Sunday. Hoping my new skis have arrived in time! Otherwise I'll be the guy on the Whitedots who can't ski them properly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy