Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Glencoe have reported 50 cm of new snow over the last couple of days. I was at Cairngorm on Friday and whilst the snow in the top bowl was excellent and you could still ski top to bottom, new snow is very welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Friday / Saturday last week were fantastic at Glencoe. Quieter week day skiing and constant re-fresh of wind blown giving some great fresh tracks across the whole mountain. Canyon was good sport although it did take three circuits to nail the entrance turns. Friday the red return was fun on deep drifts to the about half / two thirds distance and then combat to the bottom. Saturday I'd just run out of legs and downlifted for only the second time this season.

The whole set: https://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157650522479267/

Just the skimo race: https://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157650991011701/

And a select few:
Summit by onemanmows, on Flickr

Cliffy and Wall by onemanmows, on Flickr

Main Basin - Buachaille Etive Mor by onemanmows, on Flickr

Main Basin by onemanmows, on Flickr
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a couple of days at Glenshee this week. Snow in good condition, if pistes getting a bit narrow and some bits getting a bit thin today. More snow needed.

Interesting the difference between the snow on the Cairnwell side, which was in the lee of the wild winds early in the week. Some big drifts at the top of the cairnwell T-bar, and the snow on that side was really quite sticky. On the other side of the road, which had been scoured by the wind, the snow was, by comparison, very slippy. Never before been conscious of such a difference in snow quality in the same ski area.

When back at the car to head for home, got chatting to a couple - father and son I presume - in the car next door. Snow boarders, from Kent (with a Liverpool accent !). When I asked why they didn't head for the Alps, dad said - we're new to snow boarding and I don't fancy being taught by foreigners. To which my response was - So you come to Scotland to be taught by foreigners !

He claimed that as a Liverpudlian he did not regard Scots as foreigners, really. No answer to that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@oldagedpredator,
lovely pics
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a reasonable afternoon at Lecht Sunday 1st March 2015. Piste is VERY hard! The tow tracks are like polished concrete. No bare bits, just the odd thin section. There is a coating of wind blown powder on the lee areas. Overall was a good afternoon's skiing but sharp edges are definitely required! Turning was noisy, sounded a bit like spreading butter on burnt toast! I didn't take my camera up, I missed some great shots of skiers descending on rivers of wind-blown powder with the sun behind making great halos!
In contrast, Saturday 28th Feb at Glenshee was miserable! bare patches, rocks, etc. Not helped by flat light/fog and ice crystals shot into the face on the upper slopes and rain on the lower slopes. Most of the party abandoned by 1pm! The cafes did a roaring trade though...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dagnamit... rolling eyes ...full time work hurts on a day like this.

http://youtube.com/v/anSywxz7bCU
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fabulous skiing being reported at Glencoe today
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,4066 snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great pics again, OAP Cool

A few pix from Lowther Hill on Wednesday. And a video here ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111476&start=40#2695553

The ski tow lines ...

East Mount Lowther ...

Lots of freshies over the back ...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Main basin Glencoe now reporting depth of 720cm Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glencoe looks good right now

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nevis Range....today Laughing
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1062
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stunning day at the Nevis Range yesterday. Didn't realise that 'unmarked rocks' could mean large areas of piste though! It needs a top up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Few photos from a superb couple of days at Nevis Range. Super-lush Saturday in Coire Dubh & Summit Gully then a cold overnight in the car with a curtain of frost on the inside windows on waking. Took advantage of some much-needed (and free) winter climbing instruction on Sunday morning, then enjoyed even more laps of the back corries in the afternoon with the assistance of the mythical Braveheart chairlift.

Summit Coire Saturday...

Coire an Lochan Saturday ...

Saturday dusk, the sun stripped southern faces of the mountains from Corpach station near Fort William ...

On the way up to Climbers Col for some training on Sunday morning ...

Riding the Braveheart on Sunday afternoon ...

More lushness in Summit on Sunday ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice pics moffatross - may well feel a weekend Scotland jaunt coming on....

What's the front of the mountain at Nevis looking like?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@moffatross, snowHead
latest report
@mountainaddict, front of the mountain is bony, but everything works. Back is like a different world. Cool

@AndAnotherThing.., have at it ASAP. The Braveheart might not run again for another 5 years Laughing
latest report
Friday ross, friday... A morning of eclipse skiing Very Happy Cool
snow report
shoogly wrote:
Friday ross, friday... A morning of eclipse skiing Very Happy Cool

Yep, could be spectacular viewing from the mountains, with a possibility of inversion conditions from the summits pretty much anywhere too. Number 2 (you know him) is skipping school on Friday am so that we can go wherever we'll get the best chance of a view, whether it's up a mountain or not. He's at Glasgow Uni studying Astrophysics from September so reckons watching the eclipse is academic preparation. Currently east looks best though with Fife/Lothian/Borders modelled to see the clearest skies at low level but that'll chop & change over the nest couple of days ... http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015031700/81-562UK.GIF?17-0
snow report
@moffatross, Laughing Based on that I think our annual pilgrimage is back on this year

I love the 'boat' photo from Fort William, it reminds me of one in the hotel we usually stay. On that note, any recommendations for places in the area ?

With luck I'll get to the Lakes on Thursday to try and score a line or two.
latest report
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Glencoe looking fantastic again this morning. snowHead
snow report
Any recommendations for accommodation around Fort William, so we could ski Glencoe and Nevis in a weekend? Family of 4 (kids 6 and Cool who are perfectly happy with a 'Lenny Henry' but we do like a bit of local charm on occasion, ie period B&B type. Hoping to get over to the west coast from 10th to 12th April.
snow report
@grazzenger, We usually use the Clan Mcduff but I'm not sure if it's open yet. They usually have some good deals. We've been a few times but it would be nice to have a change next time.
snow report
I've used McDuff too; but it was shut last year when I went up.

Instead we stayed at the Clachaigh, a bit nearer to Glencoe (so further away from Nevis) and it was fine. Great drying room rolling eyes
latest report
@grazzenger, I stayed at the Travel lodge, cheap and a Weatherspoons pub next door Smile

Some snowheads I met in Jan stayed here http://www.glencoehostel.co.uk/hostel-bunkhouse/hostel/
latest report
Another vote for Fort William Travelodge. Handy for restaurants too - including a smart newish Indian (with great food) within a couple of minutes. From the Travelodge turn left on the main street.

Premier Inn is good too - but usually more expensive.
snow conditions
Thanks guys. Will check them out. Don't understand the need for a drying room? wink
snow report
Gone for a spot of glamping in a caravan at the hostel. Can't beat a caravan full of soggy gear/kids! Sorry, what am i saying? It'll be glorious! Bring on our initiation to western skiing.
snow conditions
The Premier Inn in FW is fine too. Again it has a pub next door and a Morrisons supermarket across the road for stocking up on snacks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmmmmmm thinking of trying for a sneaky weekend.
snow conditions
Enjoyed perfect spring snow and blazing sunshine for our foray into Coire an Easain behind the Glencoe ski centre today Cool

Ear-to-ear grins

Hard work getting in and out, but all worth it ...

... for fresh tracks in hero snow

Lunch stop

Uphill again from here Sad

But plenty to take in on the way out
ski holidays
Fantastic moffatross - excellent photos. Unfortunately we couldn't make it up there this weekend Crying or Very sad - but sought out some snow patches at Weardale instead Laughing (see North Pennines reports for photos).

Where did you drop over the back at Glencoe? Somewhere off the track to the Spring Run?
snow report
Cheers, @mountainaddict Madeye-Smiley No, it's not off the ski hill, but the next one over, reached by the col between Meall a Bhuiridh & Creise. Approx ski route below ... it's a bit of a ballache getting there but plenty satisfying.

snow report
@moffatross, I've looked out from the top of the drag and wondered about the lines off Clach Leathad, and see they are documented in the Glencoe off piste book.

How were they looking, I assume it's the lump top left of the photo ?
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@moffatross, I've looked out from the top of the drag and wondered about the lines off Clach Leathad, and see they are documented in the Glencoe off piste book.

How were they looking, I assume it's the lump top left of the photo ?

Looking to the far Eastern ridge on Sat 21st March:

Looking over to the Western side from the summit ridge of Meall a' Bhuiridh:

...and plenty of steep stuff if you want to just use the lifts too and the Creag Dhubh Chute on the Darkside of the Access Chair's been seeing a bit of action this weekend, today would have been a good day for it with generally softer granular spring snow and not just in the Sun - alas never got above the top of the Carpark on Sunday!

Even something for the XC skiers with a 2 km skate track groomed on the Plateau over the weekend:

More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1069
latest report
@Winterhighland, Cheers for that. I'm hoping to get up but I doubt it will be for a few weeks. Fingers crossed for some Spring skiing !
snow report
Thanks for the info moffatross. Pencilled in a trip up north next weekend for some touring. Fingers crossed for the weather - although Winterhighland is saying anything could happen (inc wet and wild...) at this stage.
snow report
@mountainaddict, yep, I hope the weather models that I'm looking at are wrong wink

@AndAnotherThing.., the top two photos posted by Winterhighland show the faces well and they also show the areas that didn't catch the sunlight. On the way out, we spoke with a someone from a group that had descended the line pretty much in the middle of Winterhighland's second picture and they said it wasn't nice at all and wished they'd chosen our sunny line instead. I'm not a good or pretty skier but found I was nailing perfect fast carved rails on 35 degree slopes wending my way through the rocks, the snow was that good Cool Incidentally, it wouldn't be a place to ski fast in poor visibility as there are some very big cliff-outs even lower down in the bowl Skullie
ski holidays
@moffatross, Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Lakes last week. The sunny aspects were nice. Not so nice in the shade...

Fingers crossed the weather holds up for you guys snowHead
latest report
Looks like Glenshee have thrown in the towel for the season. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

https://www.facebook.com/GlensheeSkiCentre/posts/658660584238133:0

I only managed to get up once but thankfully it was on a day of excellent conditions. The tone of the comments suggests they haven't had a good year.
latest report
isn't it great that Glencoe are trying all sorts of things inc the X country track, massive respect to them!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy