Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Yup, planning our first day of the season on Sunday with the kids for World Snow Day. With the winds forecast to drop off, the council should be able to get the roads cleared and hopefully the guys will be able to get a decent amount of terrain/ lifts open. I guess there's a wee bit of snow to be moved about given the hoolie it's been blowing all week! A bit of scan about shows that Monday could be a beautiful day to go skiing. Hey ho, business comes first.

I'm just glad to see the resorts getting some decent snow followed by what looks like a calm period. Those calm periods were few and far between last year.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saturday looking the better day weather-wise, but Sunday potentially less busy. I am planning to be at Glenshee on Sunday (new skis arrived! New to me anyway, they're actually 2nd hand), we did look at moving to Saturday but it didn't work for everyone.

I am hoping to be able to take a few impromptu snow days, so would have been great to go on Monday, it looks like really good weather. But sadly am in a client thing Monday-Thursday for the next 3 weeks which I won't be able to get out of. Hoping for some good Fridays Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shamelessly robbed from facebook, a picture of a phone box outside Glenshee ski centre today ...

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
can anyone recommend best place to grab a bite and a pint in Fort William??

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went to an Indian in Ft William couple of weeks ago and had one of our best ever meals!

It was near the Travelodge on the opposite side of the road, diagonally opposite Weatherspoons. We went to 'spoons for a post meal pint and it had a great selection of cheap booze and a good atmosphere. The menu looked excellent (& cheap) as well.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the Indian though....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross wrote:
Shamelessly robbed from facebook, a picture of a phone box outside Glenshee ski centre today ...

Looks like the snow scene from Local Hero that didn't make the edit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
can anyone recommend best place to grab a bite and a pint in Fort William??

cheers,

Greg

No particular recommendations but if you are wanting a bite on the way up/ down The Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum (almost opposite the Green Welly Shop) is superb.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@T Bar, cheers!

my CAMRA app lists a fair few pubs in Fort William and it's never let me down before Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bergmeister, Weatherspoons always good for a cheap bite to eat, didn't realise they had one there, cheers!

I got food poisoning years ago from an Indian on the main street, skied til about 3pm the next day then drove home being sick every few hours, hopefully not the same one as I think it was on main street in the middle....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tickets booked for tomorrow at the 'Shee. Up early as I suspect there may be one or two others with the same idea. Woohoo for the first turns of the season!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, forget Fort William just go to the Clachaig in Glencoe
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At G;encode tomorrow.

Blue Haglofs Jacket (with lime zips)
Yellow Norrona trousers and

White Sweet Helmet.

Say Hello

Orrrrrrr!!!!!!

snowHead Meetup in Cafe on Hill at 1pm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
grazzenger wrote:
Tickets booked for tomorrow at the 'Shee. Up early as I suspect there may be one or two others with the same idea. Woohoo for the first turns of the season!

I'll be there tomorrow too. No tickets but should be there for opening time!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Opening time's the aim! God knows what I'll be wearing but two kids, one in a green all-in-one and the smaller one in a white/pink/purple all-in-one should identify us if you want to say hello!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, it was all going so smoothly until a mile or so beyond the Spittal snowgate and then it all ground to a halt. Heavy snow showers accompanied by brutal winds meant the road had become impassable about a mile or so further on from us, as we sat and watched the carnage unfold on a short, steep section of road. With a brief view of the devil's elbow too, i didn't see a single car make it that far. Then the whiteout closed in, and after an hour of not moving and becoming part of a snow drift, we turned tail and headed home. Boo! Lots of snow up there though. We'll be back.
snow report
@grazzenger, unlucky!!!

You didn't miss all that much though.

Typically Scottish ski experience - We arrived to a packed car park and howling gale about 8.45. Seconds after we bought our lift passes all lifts were suspended! So we settled into the cafe (and my second bacon roll of the morning...). A lot of people left over the next couple of hours (many went over to the Lecht), but those of us who kept the faith had the Sunnyside poma open at about 11.30 (we'd just hiked up under the chairlift after hearing a rumour it might open so we skiied down to the poma when we saw it start turning).

Claybokie or whatever it's called was also open and had hardly any queue so we went and skiied that for a bit, then went back over to Sunnyside. Then the wind picked back up 2-2.30 so we sacked it off about 3.

So a disappointing day in that there were only 2 lifts open and we only got to ski 3 pistes, but on the other hand we got a solid 3 hours plus skiing on great snow and it was a good first day of the season.

Apparently the lecht had pretty much all tows open and cairngorm had all the lower stuff, so either might have been good.

Anyway the snow is cracking at the moment, so if the winds hold off and you are lucky enough to be able to get up midweek you're in for some great skiing.
snow report
Decided not to brave a Highland ski resort today, on the first sunny, settled weekend of the season. Instead, ended up making turns under the wind turbines of the Clyde Wind Farm. Sometimes, in the search for local snow, you end up in the strangest places Madeye-Smiley ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157650346947962/

ski holidays
Glencoe was amazing today.
ski holidays
glasgowcyclops, agreed. A bit crazy in the car park ((s) read, A82), but some great snow to be found if you hunted around. And the coverage is good lower down too. If anyone has a day off tomorrow I can recommend it.
ski holidays
@moffatross, terrific photos!
latest report
Nevis too! Not everywhere but skiing doesn't get much better than making fresh tracks down steep slopes with deep, soft snow and no lifts in sight. Throw in the usual Nevis queue of about 6 people when you do get back to the Alpha and it's another brilliant day. A bit cloudier and windier than yesterday but an awesome weekend.
snow report
Not asking for any snowfall predictions whatsoever or quality of slopes as its impossible. But what are the chances of there being some slopes open in Scotland in the First week or so of March? I have a weekend free and was thinking of driving up as I've always wanted to try it. Is there usually something to ski on at this time? Or are the Scottish slopes totally reliant on what falls in the week or two before?
snow report
@garethjomo,
Good conditions and a base can last a while, but high winds and rain can render excellent conditions somewhat marginal in short order too.
March often has decent skiing but certainly no guarantees this far out.
snow report
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee

WOW !
ski holidays
How manic is half term in Scotland??? Just driven up and really want the kids to see Scotland so was wondering about heading up over half term, would try and get some s/c accom that is dog friendly, what chances of booking last minute and how busy could the slopes get???

My kids are off w/c 16th Feb.

Thanks a lot,

Greg
snow report
Going to play it by ear and hope there is plenty more snow over the next 10 days and try and head up to Cairngorm a week on Friday. If the winds would like to halt that would be splendid
latest report
@kitenski, Scottish half-term is generally the week before that, ie w/c 9th, so you should be OK on that count. Given that too, accom will be available last minute. If you really want to ski, wait until a few/couple of days before to check the forecast; Scottish skiing is a tad more prone to weather 'interruptions' than in the Alps.
snow report
@grazzenger, yeh I'm fine playing it by ear, been skiing in Scotland for the past 20 years on an as and when basis!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@garethjomo: Historically, it is almost certain that there will be skiable snow in March. IIRC correctly, March 2011/12-ish was the only March ever that no ski lifts ran in Scotland - but even then, winter and skiing returned in April.

In a normal winter (the above year was exceptional) there is pretty decent skiing and cover in March, with lifts open into April and sometimes May. Cairngorm generally has the longest season.

As mentioned by others, the trick is never to book too far ahead. Always best to check the weather very carefully and never just hope for the best if winds above 30mph are forecast (anything above that is challenging at best and sheer misery at worst).

There is always accommodation available online (Booking.com, Hotels.com, Laterooms.com etc) - everything from B&Bs to posh hotels. If you are really going up from Swansea Shocked consider staying somewhere within striking distance of the slopes the night before your first ski day. We use Perth (and its cheap Travelodges) a lot. From there you can hedge your bets and get to any of the ski areas within 1- 2hrs. Glenshee is nearest at about an hour. And Perth is pleasant enough for a night out - some nice restaurants.
ski holidays
@kitenski, It is the Highland school holidays you need to be most concerned about as that is when it is likely to be the busiest. They often have an in-service days added on to the long weekend, have looked at Highland Councils website and it says mid term is 16-17th Feb with 18th an in-service day.
http://www.highland.gov.uk/info/878/schools/32/school_term_dates
latest report
English half term is usually the busiest time still
latest report
grazzenger wrote:
@kitenski, Scottish half-term is generally the week before that, ie w/c 9th, so you should be OK on that count. Given that too, accom will be available last minute. If you really want to ski, wait until a few/couple of days before to check the forecast; Scottish skiing is a tad more prone to weather 'interruptions' than in the Alps.

That used to be the case but this year most areas seem to be off 16-20 Feb so same as England.
latest report
Ok so crazy busy ie 30 min queues for lifts or less???
snow report
depends where you go, Glenshee and CGM are always the worst 30 min queues very possible/likely if decent conditions, the West is always quieter but still get quite busy but i'd be surprised waiting more than 15 mins usually
snow report
@geeo, thanks was thinking Nevis or Glencoe....
snow conditions
Agree that half term here is w/c 16th Feb, same as everywhere else although my kids don't have the whole week off, only Wednesday to Friday. I don't know if that's the same all over Scotland. I'd suggest from experience that Cairngorm will be manic at half term as will probably Glenshee. My English pals went up for a day last year when they were staying & gave up after half a day because of the queues. Everyone & their dog who's not going abroad skiing goes to stay at Aviemore or nearby, there's plenty of accommodation so lots of people on the slopes.
We have a family holiday home at Strathdon which is close to the Lecht. it's definitely not as busy & when I went last season I didn't queue once (although I wasn't there at half term) Granted it's compact & bijoux, but it's really well set up for the kids especially beginners with nice flat runs & a moving carpet. It was where I learnt to ski so I have a wee bit of a soft spot for it.
snow report
Seems to be something strange going on at Glencoe. The car park is overflowing, yet the lift queues are not as one might expect considering the overflowing car park on a Monday on school days. There were queues in the afternoon, but in the Morning there was very little queuing.

I saw one or two people skinning up the hill, and a few climbers. I can't explain the anomaly.

Snow conditions are excellent, soft and plentiful. The homerun is the best I have seen it. Well worth doing it a few times in the morning as it is empty at that time as most people go straight to the top or the beginners area.

snowHead
snow conditions
wow, is it only fife with hols w/c 9th? also only wed to fri, so mon 16th and tuesday 17th could be the best bet to avoid queues. fingers crossed for the weather if that's when you choose!
snow report
I'm really tempted to drive up to Fort William this weekend but the wind looks like it's going to pick up Sad
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
How manic is half term in Scotland??? Just driven up and really want the kids to see Scotland so was wondering about heading up over half term, would try and get some s/c accom that is dog friendly, what chances of booking last minute and how busy could the slopes get???

My kids are off w/c 16th Feb.

Thanks a lot,

Greg

Very on CairnGorm, can be at the Lecht depending on what the weather does on CairnGorm. Glenshee can be mental over the Scottish school long weekends either side of the peak half term week, but more areas are following Highland in adding in service days to the weekend to give a full week off for pupils, this might add or reduce pressure! Away from the long weekend Glenshee's usually busy but manageable during the week of half term. Generally the West Coast is much quieter during the week over the half term period, weekends excepted!

A lot can depend on the snow cover and weather, despite mental queues on some lifts when CairnGorm has good weather and full snow cover a good days worth of skiing can still be had with some creative use of the mountain! Being able to ski to the Ciste Carpark and using the shuttle bus and later in the day the Funicular for uplift can get in lots of long excellent runs. Over the past 3 years CairnGorm's kept some tows running till 9pm on a couple of days over half term with portable flood lights.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy