Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much would you pay?

Poster: A snowHead
...or more to the point...

What's the most you've paid for a ski holiday (transport & accomodation)?

The most I've paid is £400 for a catered chalet in Courchevel. But looking at last minute deals I've found holidays advertised as SAVE £250. WAS £990 NOW £740 etc etc.

Has anyone ever paid £900+ per person to ski???
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elizabeth B, Transport and accomodation often only half of the outlay. After ski pass, equipment hire, ski lessons, lunch, drinks (and drinks and drinks and drinks) and dinner you can easily be way over £500.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep. We just paid over 1k each. Mind you that was for two weeks in canada, but it didn;tr include food....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonpim, I realise that...but the deals advertised are just for transport/accomodation. That was what I was looking to compare. My usual outlay (total) is around £450 - but I look to do it on the cheap (3 weeks a year soon add up Wink )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We usually work on £500 per person for half board/catered chalet (including flights & transfers) for a week in the Alps. I paid a bit more last Christmas (about £600).
Best bargains were £285 for a week in a catered chalet in Val Thorens & £265 for a week half board in Les Orres.
Do you get a much better ski holiday for £900? I doubt it. Not 3 times as good anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, Club Med are offering next week at £750 pp (adult), half board and no transport....I think I can safely say they can go fly forth, multiplying in the process Shocked Most I've ever paid is £566 pp all in at a (very pleasant) catered chalet, and that also included ski club for the week for my youngest.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
£500 for a weekend in Austria this year. (all in, apart from the beer)
Also spent £320 for 2 weeks in Utah. (flights & accomodation for 10 days, had to pay extra for 4 days)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try only being able to go in half terms etc. it takes a real trawl through the websites teletext etc. to get decent accomodation for much under £400 Best Deal I have ever had was 1 week B&B £129 inc transfers in Soll, most expensive £500 half term in Meribel H/B. I'm a tight git so drive a hard bargain and got it down from £1100, with 10 days to go. I'm sure no one pays this sort of money for 1 week. Chalet was very nice with bus to slopes every morning, but not £1100 nice snowHead .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
err.. last major one was our (delayed for decent snow - take note Johnboy!! Little Angel ) honeymoon to Whistler, therefore it cost a ###t load. Did 2 weeks with limo transfers and club world flights - so yes I've definitely paid considerably more than £900 Shocked snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paid £170 for the week transport/accom when we went to Mottaret, and after some careful budgetting didnt spend over £400 in total in the end (including a rip off sandwich in geneva airport, big mistake!).

Guess those years as a student have paid off!

To be honest, i dont think i would want to spend over £500 for everything, or less if poss, to be honest id camp if i could, but there dont seem to be many sites open during the winter from what i can see....guess i am a smelly cheapskate, but by my logic id get 2 holidays a year for the price of one, or 4/5 by some prices, if only the boss would let me have 7 weeks off in the winter eh!

I reckon it would have to be something pretty special/very special occasion to make me fork out £900+, Stuarth - honeymoon seems like a good reason! Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think my last Canadian trip was over 2k, to be honest with you I don't add it up! But the flight was 400, 3 weeks accommodation & lift pass was about 700 quid, then food, drinks and *shopping*... Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Trouble is that beggars can't be choosers and if you're into things like singles holidays you can pay a lot of money just to have the assurance of knowing where and when you're going. This year paid £600 all inc with Mark Warner, but by the time you add in ski skool, lift pass etc + beer money, I reckon that I didn't get much change of of £1100. I only wish somebody could let me in on the secret of how to do it for half the price.! Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just paid about £1400 for 13 days skiing in Utah, but that included all food, drinks, souvenirs etc. I have paid as little as £400 for 8 days skiing, again including everything, by using company cars, cheap accommodation etc: 50FF pppn self catering in a bunkhouse in Ste Foy, or £12pppn b&b in a Gasthof in Taxenbach.

In general I aim to pay as little as possible on accommodation - as long as I've got hot water and a bed I don't care about the rest. Then you can spend money on the important stuff like a top class restaurant each night!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It depends on the standard of accommodation too. We've got used to having a good quality 4 star hotel with leisure facilities to relax in after a hard day on the slopes. I've just booked a group to Mayrhofen next year at the end of Feb and we've got a 4 star hotel, half board and lift passes for between £590 and £650 each depending on supplements etc., which is cheaper than this year.

Plus, the Euro Sterling exchange rate is just adding to the cost. Compare next years brochure prices to this year - increases way above inflation.

I've had too many bad experiences of rubbish food on school trips to risk a standard below 3 star! I think they once served up a fried scouring pad in Italy - I have photographic evidence!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have you seen the ski club's holiday brochure. Most holidays are £700+.
ski holidays
steveb, I presume that they include instruction/guiding though?
ski holidays
I paid £635 for SCGB holiday in Tignes. Included 6 full days instruction and all food/wine etc. I thought good value.

Went to Zermatt in Jan with Scott Dunn. Bit of a splash out and paid £900, but definitely worth it. 5 full days guiding, woken every morning with fresh orange juice and greeted each evening with a glass of wine. I know there is only so much gourmet 4 course meals and wine you can consume, but it was lovely. Oh and a free ski pass too.
ski holidays
Like Tony, I tend to 'fly solo' these days so avoiding silly single room supplements is a major factor in holiday selection. This year the base cost of a hotel half board package including insurance with Inghams to Belle Plagne was ~ £700 and I reckon all-in after ski hire, lift pass, drinkies ...... etc etc the total was ~ £1K.

What the hell, it's only money. Well worth it for a great week in the fresh air with good food and company Cool
latest report
Stayed at the Byblos in Courchevel 1850 once, I'm not even going to think about how much it cost but it was one of those once in a lifetime holidays and it was worth every penny.
ski holidays
Apparently the Beckhams have paid £22.5K for their week in Courchevel and that's just the chalet.

I reckon a week's skiing always costs about £1k - if I save it on accommodation I just end up spending on guides.
snow report
MaggyK, can they even ski? Can't imagine David risking an ACL injury somehow...

Still, all the more room on the slopes for the rest of us!!
snow report
masopa, Footballers aren't allowed to ski which if your are on premiership pay I suppose you can put up with but its a bit of a bummer in lower leagues.
Having said that I think we can all appreciate why they can't (they'd need yellow balls to start with Exclamation ).
They did have instructors for the rest of the party although I gather they were boxing instructors for Posh and Becks.
latest report
Canada - Lake Louise earlier this year, about £1800 for two weeks all told, including ski hire. Last week in St Martin de Bellville (three valleys, down from Les Menuires/Val Thorens) big discount on Chalet but still came out around £680 for one week.

Best value in the past - 1991, Les Sept Laux £199 for a full board package including flights, lift pass, ski hire & one instructor for the group. Usually ate out at lunch and there must have been a bit spent on drinks so perhaps add £100.
snow conditions
Most we've ever paid is £430ish but that's for a Christmas week in Tignes. Best deal ever was £199 for catered including lift pass! Used to bank on paying around £250 each - we always book last minute - but this year haven't managed to get below the £300 mark....anyone else found that the really cheap deals just weren't out there this year?
snow conditions
hmm, not sure if I should own up to this but this year's one and only trip was probably the worst value trip I ever hope to do.

long weekend in Courchevel 1650 - flights £112 each, hire car £150, 3 nights in a hotel £410 plus the usual ski pass, food, booze. ouch Shocked also paid for girlfriend, so actually paid for all of the above plus her flight Shocked Shocked

My defence is that i knew that it was the only trip i could do this year and so i thought "sod it". Also, it resulted in a couple of the best days of on-piste boarding that i have ever had. So it was worth it after all Very Happy
snow report
I've had some really good deals over the year. First "Proper" trip was to Puy Saint Vincent over Xmas in 1992 (just after Black Wednesday - so exchange rate was terrible!). Flights, transfers, self catering (two in a four person appartment), lift pass, skis, boots, insurance £250. We did book on the Thursday and fly on the Saturday. Fantastic snow and blue skies for a whole week - fabulous. Also managed (through friend who works for Thomson - sadly he can't get these sort of deals for me now) to stay Chalet board in Courchevel 1850. Snowball from the piste for £150. Had to buy lift pass on top which with exchange rate of less than 7 francs to the pound was bl***y expensive and then beer, 100FF for four small beers!!!!!!! Didn't go out much - who pays those sort of prices? So we stayed in and watched tractor pulling on Eurosport (which is a whole other story) in our huge lounge and drank wine from the chalet stash! Recent good deal was self catering in brand-new appartments on the slopes in Plagne Soleil (you could ski in and out of the ski room!) for £129.

Now I've got a family (who I haven't yet had to pay to take skiing for) even that starts to look expensive, and I've got les money..........
snow conditions
Best Value, last year to Arinsal for £99 h/b - I booked for 2 before I even had a ski partner to go with! Most expensive - waiting to get the cash before I can go on an expensive ski holiday!
snow conditions
Errrmmmm, for the past two years I've paid £25 for a weeks accomodation in Morzine courtesy of my friend's parents apartment during half term week (as most of my mates are teachers). Add on transport and life pass and its.....well.....still pretty cheap. However, when it comes to skiing there's no limit to how high I would go to get my fix each year.

PS did I mention I was going again at the end of April...woo hoo!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow. There are some impressively low prices here, but I suspect that these are for last minute bookings? As I always organise trips for medium sized groups (8 to 16 people), taking a risk on a late deal has never really been an option, and so always end up booking early and paying full whack (and still never seem to get our first choice accommodation!).

The best value holiday I’ve ever had was this January in Alpe D’Huez – about £650 all-inclusive (i.e. full-board, including lift pass, all day lessons, and, most importantly, as much as booze as we could drink). I only spent 2 euros all week, and that was on the babyfoot. The most I’ve ever paid was probably this March in St Anton – base price of nearly £800, plus lift pass, lunch, and beer money. I usually reckon on it costing me a grand for a week.

Please tell me I can do it a lot cheaper, even when booking months in advance!
ski holidays
Dave, I;'m with you on that - we go with a group, and if you wqant to stay togerth you;ve no choice really but to book in advance and pay full price. Having said that we normally get a reasonable standard of hotel for around £500, once we've shared out the free places
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy