Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS Swiss plus Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017 NOT THE WEATHER

Poster: A snowHead
Any word on the new connection through Linga/Chatel? We're out in a few weeks and I think it'll help persuade the youngest and oldest in my family to do the loop again. Last time we nearly all fell out on the bus/walk through Chatel rolling eyes
Also, it would be good to explore the Torgon and St. Jean d'Aulps areas - any recommendations?
Thanks snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Am out there from this Sunday and forecast is semi hopeful for more snow, so touch wood, or more likely touch snow for more snow! Very Happy snowHead

4 of us for the whole week then 8 more join us from Weds...

Any one fancying joining us are more than welcome. We have a mix of abilities and skiiers/ boarders...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowfraise, The projected opening of the Super Chatel / Vonnes lift is 31 January but the Vonnes / Linga link will be later (I haven’t seen a date yet) so as things will stand at the start of February the link wont work. The bus/walk isn’t so bad.

Torgon is worth a look if the snow is good – you can reach it from Super Chatel after following a sequence of drag lifts or ski over from La Chapelle

St Jean d’Aulps is also worth it if the whole circuit is open (It won’t be at the moment) but doesn’t connect to the rest of the PDS.

Where will you be staying?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks@DJL, . We're staying in Morzine for the 6th time, and we've still not been everywhere. We've managed to sort lessons for the children on alternate days so that gives us three long days for exploring, which we all love. Snowheads have been great in the past at recommending a hot chocolate/lunch stop which keeps everyone focused, so any ideas for Torgon would be great please.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowfraise, Just got an e-newsletter through from Chatel saying that the Super Chatel – Linga link will be open in both directions from around 25 January.

http://idm2.idnova.fr/index.php?action=social&c=92049debbe566ca5782a3045cf300a3c.3571&s=37728a4d4f32146a96b8e9581ff85135

Do you have a car? If so my suggestion is to drive round to La Chapelle d’Abondance. It will take about 35 minutes via the Col du Corbier or a bit longer if you go all the way down the Vallee d’Aulps to the roundabout at Bioge before heading up to La Chapelle. You could then ski both sides of La Chapelle, over to Torgon and even head across to Barbossine or Super Chatel (or even Morgins) without needing to clock watch too much. We do the opposite if we are going to ski the Pleney side of Morzine or Les Gets.

Great coffee stop with superb cakes at the Col du Braitaz top of the big chair after exiting the Pantiaz gondola from La Chapelle.

It is all covered on the PDS lift pass or if you are buying day by day you can save a bit by getting the Evasion pass from La Chapelle which covers all the above and over to Champoussin. The La Chapelle day pass is about Euro 20 less than the PDS day pass and covers both sides of La Chapelle, Torgon, Barbossine and a few runs towards Super Chatel. In my opinion the best value pass in the PDS
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes @DJL, we will have a car, so will be able to have the day trip you suggest, especially now there are cakes involved Very Happy !
Thanks for the link info too. Looking at the height of Chapelle and Torgon, would it be fair to say if there the snow conditions are good in Morzine and Les Gets, it'll be ok over there too?
As usual I can't wait and refuse to believe anything other than that there will be perfect snow by the 7th Feb. There always is!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say the snow conditions would be similar to Les Gets. The very bottom of Torgon can be poor but the rest should be OK. You can't ski down to La Chapelle from the Torgon side - have to go down in the Gondola. The other part of La Chapelle (Cret Beni) is a real hidden gem if the conditions are good. You could do half a day there then head to the Pantiaz gondola and go in search of cake! 7 Feb is the first week of the French hols so should be OK as only a third of the country on holiday (and not Paris). Enjoy!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is anyone skiing this weekend? I feel like I should go out but husband and friends are all working
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Nadenoodlee, hopefully so, though may have to go to Thonon in the afternoon, should know by tomorrow night snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DJL + 1. La Panthiaz is an easy place to start, and Torgon, Chalet-neuf etc are really piqturesque, and tend not to get too busy either.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Is anyone skiing this weekend? I feel like I should go out but husband and friends are all working

Probably not Saturday, as weather looking gnarly. Sunday will def be out - although I'm torn between PLJ (Donkeys, Happy Valley), and Avoriaz ( Area between Satellite and Chaux Fleurie, Canyon Schott). Does anyone know what the Col Du Portes Du Soleil is like at the mo, and if Morgins Forest ( my fave spot ) has got much snow?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am out in the morning! Has anyone looked outside snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Welcome sight this morning when I just looked out the window snowHead (sorry it's sideways, can't work that out! About 6-7 inches down here and they are blasting a lot. Have a good day everyone, stay safe
snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have had about 6-7 inches also here at around 1200. Was snowing when my cup of tea arrived half an hour ago - the odd bang of the avalanche blower, lights through the trees of the piste basher on the Vorosse, and apparently my OH could see 3 piste bashers on Mt Chery. Snow plough has been up and down the road at some point.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pamski, I'm excited even if I am still skiing like a bag of spanners snowHead snowHead
latest report
@sarah, bet you're not! I was excited last night to see the velux windows in the bathrooms all white and staying like that for the first time this year - as we missed being here at NY.
snow report
I'm off to Portes du Soleil next weekend for the first ever time - staying near Montriond, so we'll be getting the Ardent lift every morning to Les lindarets and Avoriaz. Are there any nice blues or easy reds that you'd recommend? Cheers Smile
snow report
Hi @Handy Turnip, that's a great way into the ski area with plenty of good runs to choose from. I like the Combe a floret through the trees and the Plaine Dranse area. Hope you have a great time!
snow report
Chaux Fleurie has an easy red and blue, and is really near Ardent. ( as well as 2 good Powder fields )
snow report
The run down to the bottom of the Ardent gondola is a pretty straight forward blue unless the snow conditions are bad – one corner a bit steeper than the rest.

@WindOfChange, The Chaux Fleurie blue is really not that easy (for a blue) - snow often in poor condition and it has a funny cross hill slant to it. Agree about the powder fields and the red though.

For nice blues you could head over to Plaine Dranse and take Chaux des Rosees chair. Then ski the Blattins piste to the left of the chair. Alternatively go up the Lindarets chair to above Avoriaz and head towards Super Morzine.

Reds – most of them are good. Perdrix Blanche is my favourite - left from the top of the Cornebois chair above Plaine Dranse.
snow conditions
Can someone please recommend somewhere nice to have lunch in the Avoriaz area? We grabbed a bite in Lindarets today and it was awful!

Thanks in advance Smile
snow report
Seriously?!?! Lindarets is normally fab. Were you in the goat village? The Cremalliere is pretty impressive normally. Someone will be along in a minute to tell you all about Changabang in Avoriaz itself - I still haven't been, but this year perhaps..... There's a sweet little place with a small menu half way down the Pre la Joux in Plaine Dranse. You have to ski slightly away from the piste to get to it. Not sure of it's name though.
Hope you're having fun in the new snow.
snow conditions
At the top of the Ardent bubble there are a few smaller restaurants. Used a couple but I cant remember there names. You ski back parallel with the bubble lift about 100 yards.
ski holidays
L'Abricotine at the bottom of the French Mossettes - consistently good and a friendly bunch.
snow report
Thanks everyone - will have an explore tomorrow. Can't remember exactly where we were today (it's so lovely to not have to navigate for a change) but it wasn't the cremalliere.
snow conditions
Marmottes does the best omelettes.
snow conditions
@snowfraise, @WindOfChange, @DJL, thanks all - much appreciated Smile
snow conditions
We had a wonderful meal in a hut called (i think) la passage about 100 yards before the super morzine gondola if your heading back to morzine. Friendly staff and superb tarteflette.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Onmebum, is that the place with the cats? If so, terrific crepes after skiing for the children.
snow conditions
@DJL I have never really thought that the blue on Chaux Fleurie is that challenging (for a blue). Sunday we boarded it 3 times (myself, my wife, 3 kids, plus an intermediate skier and a beginner skier), without any dramas. The road section, is much better now, since 4 years ago after it was widened, and the drainiage improved. The cross-camber at the top is much less severe than those on Blue d'Arare, and also much shorter. The slope does catch the sun, so does suffer sometimes from soft snow ( rather that than hard-pack ). Admittedly it has more to it than the blues of Proclou, Serrasaix or Abricotine ( which are so flat that you have to walk if you board them after a snow fall), and is narrower than the blues of Tetras or Zorre, but compared to say The blues of Crot, Mosettes or Couboré, it's a ski in the park. The other reason I mention this is not just it's proximity to Ardent, but it is covered by the Avoriaz pass (as are the other blue runs mentionned here, although the drag lift on the swiss side of Couboré is not ), wheras the runs towards Plaine Dranse and Pré la Joux require the full PDS pass. That being said, I strongly agree with all those runs you mention, also the Blue de Lac (Avoriaz) is nice and easy too.
ski holidays
At Christmas, we had lovely lunches on 2 consecutive days at Passe Montagne, which is one of the gaggle of restaurants in the bottom of the Lindarets bowl. We also ate at the self service next door to it (can't remember the name) and were not overly impressed.

In Avoriaz itself we ate at La Taniere, all good if a little on the pricey side when you compare it to the little restaurant down Le Crot blue piste ( goes towards Prodains Gondola). Pasta, savoury crepes and saussicon frites were good and at least €2 cheaper than a hundred metres above in Avoriaz itself. Simple food and the staff were lovely.

@onmebum a second for the "hut" near the top of the Super Morzine gondola. Snow wasn't good enough when we were out to get there, but our friends that we went with raved about it from their last trip
snow report
Reading all this makes me really, really miss the PDS. This time last year I was living there!

Sad
snow conditions
Think there's 2 restaurants at the top of the S-M.

One's on the Tetras run, above and behind the gondola station and the other's you can access up the steps opposite the station or ski in to from the Zore run. The latter is (to us) the 'cat and dog' bar and does about the best vin chaud I've ever had (though seemed to be down to just 1 cat-in-a-basket last week).
latest report
@WindOfChange, I agree it’s not really hard but a combination of the cross hill camber, snow conditions (often soft, sometimes boilerplate) and hordes of people from PLJ heading for Avoriaz seem to give the less confident trouble. I always choose the red in preference which is a great run at just the right angle to really go for it. Week commencing 3 Jan it was absolute carnage with side slipping beginners everywhere (mostly on their backsides). I agree the road is now miles better.

Crot my new favourite way to Switzerland (bear with me). It is not a bad run, fairly quiet and leads to the new chair which means avoiding the huge queue for the Intrets chair from belwo Avoriaz. Gets you to the same place quicker and with less bad temper and then down the Bleu du Lac past the snowpark and up the Chavanette drag lift (fewer queues than the chair and takes you closer to the departure point of the chair down the wall.
snow report
@WindOfChange, @DJL, On my first visit I found Chaux Fleurie to be a lovely blue run. Enjoyed skiing it several times. On my second visit the piste had not been bashed for several days and it was a constant mogul run. That said many of the runs were bad during this particular visit. It was like the piste bashers were on strike around Avoriaz.
ski holidays
@Harry Flashman, Time to rethink that chalet purchase.....
After all, after you are married the Morgan will have to go as not enough room for the babies, also the Landie is toast.
I can put a very convincing argument to Lady Flash when we meet in Feb if you like.
ski holidays
Super plat du jour in the Cremalliere today and a lovely vin chaud in the bar next to the Super Morzine at the end of the Z run.

Thanks for the recommendations folks!
snow report
Yup, the hut I visited had great vin chaud which they said was home made. Didn't notice any cats though. Also, they sent us off with a caramel vodka which was also lovely, and I don't even like wine or vodka!
snow report
Evening all - wonder if someone might be able to offer any advice.

I've just booked a weekend trip at the end of March for myself and my two eldest children (11 & Cool, staying at the Atria-Crozats P&V apartments up in Avoriaz. My question is this - in order to max ski time and avoid weekend transfer I've booked is evening flights for the Friday and are not likely to arrive in Avoriaz till approx 10.30 / 11pm, can anyone advise on the distance to the apartments from where the transfer will drop us off and is there likely to be any carriages / skidoo thingies to help with our bags.

I've skied the PDS a few times on lads trips, any family advice on Avoriaz (restaurants etc) greatly appreciated.
snow report
So glad you had a good lunch @Jenniper, . Hope you find somewhere good tomorrow too!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy