Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS Swiss plus Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017 NOT THE WEATHER

Poster: A snowHead
Onmebum wrote:
Yup, the hut I visited had great vin chaud which they said was home made. Didn't notice any cats though. Also, they sent us off with a caramel vodka which was also lovely, and I don't even like wine or vodka!

The 'cat and dog' has just a small bar/serving hatch on the right as you walk in the door and the cat's live in the basket on the stand in front of this.

If it wasn't like that you were in the other one - which does a really good tapas from reports last week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@reded78, A few suggestions on the threads below on eating places, mostly on the slopes rather than Avoriaz “village”. The place that consistently does what it says on the tin (and I imagine will hit the spot with the kids) is Changabang opposite the arrival of the Prodains gondola. Great burgers, fries (straight or curly), cold beer for dad and a cool snowboard vibe that I’m rather too old for. Staff seem happy you have dropped in and prices are very decent.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=107918

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86621

I see you have picked up the convention that everyone ignores that this is "not the weather" and the other thread is "weather" by posting on both!

Plus ca change!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@reded78
You will be dropped at the resort entrance.
It's pony and trap until sunset, then it's rat-track. (normally about 10 Eur including baggage)
There is a number for transports to phone 24/7 +33 (0)4 50 74 01 55.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you @WindOfChange, & @DJL, for the response and the information. Had found the information on evening transport as well this morning - I was worrying overnight that I was going to get a bo*"$king from the kids having drag their bags halfway across the resort!.

Another couple of questions if people don't mind - recommendation for a private lesson? (would prefer to avoid ESF) and also nearest ski rental to the apartments? Seems as though Mir Famose or Skiset Centre Station with Skiset or Les Fontaines Blanches with Intersport. Any recommendations good or bad?

And @DJL, I'll keep to just this thread.

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @DJL, for reporting those threads - I'm hungry now!
@reded78, we're using Ski Beyond this year. Ricey taught one of the children last year when he was with BASS - big success.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Planning a mega tour tomorrow starting in les gets. I have a few questions!
Rather than super Morzine on the way back I was thinking of getting the bus back from prodains. How frequent are these mid afternoon?
Also will probably go clockwise, chatel to Morgins, with current conditions can you ski down to near the road in morgins? I have bad experience with the the walk/wait for bus if doing the circuit in the other direction.
Finally what are the conditions like in Switzerland skiing from Crosets to Morgins
Many thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buses back from Prodains are fairly regular I think (there is a timetable online via morznet) but to be honest this week I have preferred going back via Super Morzine - the runs down to Prodains have been fairly icy and not as pleasant as the gentle pootle back to the SM bubble.

We went over to Les Crosets earlier in the week - piste conditions were absolutely fine but the poor vis sent us home - lots of runs above the tree line and we were really struggling to see. Should be fine tomorrow if we get some sun. No idea about Morgins.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At Prodains it seems to depend on time of day... last week, between 3pm and 4pm, there was as many as 3 buses waiting ! :: During my week, I never waited more than 5 minutes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, found timetables every 10 minutes after 2pm. Route planned!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wonder if retsil's route will have him getting the bus to Chapelle d'Abondance and skiing down towards Torgon...or taking the 2 drag lifts from hell the other way (Deju des Tetes/Conche 2000) Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mjit, Drag lifts from hell? Hardly. The first is a bit long and boring and the second short but quite steep but neither of them lift you off the ground and make you count the contents of your underpants!

If he’s starting in Les Gets and skiing over to Morzine before heading for Avoriaz it is a long day to include the Swiss side and Morgins. Adding Torgon and La Chapelle is maybe a step too far. We sometimes start from Petit Chatel and make it to the far side of Mont Chery and back in a day but you need to keep moving and know the way. Preferred option now is drive to Morzine and park up then there is no time pressure.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not been out since Sunday (work ugh...). It looks like it might be a bit parky this w/e with the snow and wind chill and all that, and maybe less than perfect visibilty.
With that in mind we are thinking of heading for slopes in the trees. I dont want to go over to Morzine / Nyon / Chamoisiere / Les Gets especially, but at the same time trying to avoid the usual suspects: la Foilleuse, Plan Joyeux, Morgins Forest (joining lower Section of Defago), La Leiche, L'Aity, Gelinottte, Col Vert, Tannes, Combes a Floret, Stash, Djeu Des Tetes, bottom bit of Gd Paradis, Tetras, Follys, Chargeau, La Gd Terche. If you have ridden / skied these or others in the last day or so, I would like to hear your thoughts. ( Otherwise we'll probably end up in La Chap / Torgon / Chalet Neuf)
Thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DJL - Lets say I wouldn't do them again in a hurry!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@retsil, as @DJL says its the getting back from Morzine to Les Gets that can be tricky. If you have missed the lifts (as you have to go up the Pleney and up a further 2 chairs before you can ski into Les Gets), the last bus goes around 6.20pm from the roundabout near the Mairie and the Super Morzine gondola (the one with the garage on it).

My friends missed the last lift, and the bus a couple of years ago and paid €50 for a taxi back to Les Gets so its worth getting your timings right.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chattonmill wrote:
@Harry Flashman, Time to rethink that chalet purchase.....
After all, after you are married the Morgan will have to go as not enough room for the babies, also the Landie is toast.
I can put a very convincing argument to Lady Flash when we meet in Feb if you like.

Don't tempt us. You won't have to convince Lady F - she's a keener (and far better) skier than me!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys in Feb, big time.
snow report
@Wrekingirl,
Quote:

you have missed the lifts (as you have to go up the Pleney and up a further 2 chairs before you can ski into Les Gets),

you can get back to Les Gets from the top of the Pleney lift without taking 2 more chairs. If you more or less go straight ahead, then bear right and find the track called the Chardon Bleu that goes along (bit of a pole needed sometimes) and joins onto the piste near the bottom of the Folliets lift so you then just carry on through the tunnel and ski back to Les Gets. Alternatively the C bus stops by the Folliets lift - sorry I don't know the times for that.
snow report
@Pamski, I was just working out my geography for doing that.

Worth bearing in mind also that the Pleney lift runs later for homeward bound Viking residents. You may need proof of residence however...
ski holidays
@reded78 its our 2nd year renting via Mir Famose and can't recommend them highly enough. So far this week I've gone piste carvers, all mountain, off piste and back to all mountain all for no extra charge. Top drawer and ultra friendly service.

Re the lessons I've had 6 hours with Jean-Marie from Avoriaz Alpine Ski School and would say either him or Pierre. Laurent is fantastic but will push you very hard.

HTH
snow report
Champery "all-pds" Lift Prices dropped due to strong franc:

Quote:
Chère cliente, cher client,

À la suite de la décision de la BNS d’abolir le taux plancher de l’Euro et après mûre réflexion, Télé Champéry-Crosets a décidé d’adapter ses prix sans toutefois mettre en péril les salaires des employés ou nuire à la qualité des prestations fournies !

De ce fait, vous pouvez dès à présent acheter le forfait journalier Portes du Soleil au prix de CHF 52.- au lieu de CHF 61.- ou le forfait 6 jours à CHF 256.- au lieu de CHF 300.- !!

Pour tous renseignements supplémentaires sur les tarifs, rendez-vous directement sur www.telechampery.ch et pour suivre notre actualité en direct, rejoignez notre page Facebook Télé Champéry-Les Crosets Portes du Soleil SA.

Nous vous souhaitons, chère cliente, cher client, une belle saison d’hiver et vous présentons nos salutations les meilleures.
snow conditions
Thanks @Gmd, funnily enough booked ski hire with Mir Famose (Mr Famous now in my head) this evening before reading your post so sounds like I've made a good choice.

Still working on lessons of the kids, just want a few hours to keep them topped up until proper weeks holiday next year.
ski holidays
Can't believe how rude some people can be, or appear to be - we were sitting in La Paika having coffee this morning and one of those rather loud English voices from the other end of the room enquired 'is that the Terrasse - can I book a table for, however many it was, for 1 o'clock tomorrow - thank you etc etc' - really takes the biscuit sitting in one restaurant booking another and in that awful booming voice.

But perhaps I am mrs grumpy today as when we were finishing lunch in the Cornette at Nyon later on and getting ourselves together to pay and leave the table 4 English stood over us to take over the table, literally hanging over the space, hanging coats on chairs - they were so rude - I don't think that I have ever take quite so long arranging my helmet and gloves and I was just pi**ed off with the attitude. I don't think they were going to be eating lunch as it was 2 o'clock and I heard one say to her partner that she just wanted a fruit tea.

But the weather was fine today, sun out this morning, and now its been snowing for an hour.
ski holidays
We Had the same table experience in Lindarets today @Pamski, I ordered an extra coffee to wee wee them off
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, Smile Smile
latest report
Good technique @Nadenoodlee, dreadful behaviour.
snow report
@Pamski, rise above it. You know you've got class. Just get them in the lift queue.
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@BergenBergen, let's hope that we all behave when we got out to dinner this evening!
snow report
@Pamski, bloody rude. Did you memorise their jackets in case you had an après déjeuner opportunity to do as @BergenBergen suggested? Toofy Grin
snow report
We are looking for a meeting point for lunch after lessons at the bottom or top of the Pleney lift. Preferably somewhere we can just walk into without booking. Does anyone have any recommendations? (Other restaurants we have tried elsewhere. Vaffieu shared a good salad - most likely needs booking. Chez Nannon tiny inside so booking really recommended - the ham with mustard was very good. Best of the bunch in Lindarets la Cremaillere excellent plat du jour sauté d'agneau - we turned up late and waited for a table but we'd book in future.). More snow predicted for Thursday

Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jaunebec, - They're all favourites of ours, so I'd guess we have similar requirements. We have learned through frustration that the restaurant a short walk from the top of the Pleney is one we now avoid. It can be very slow, especially if you sit outside. We discovered the Attray last year, but I think you may need to book.
If you can manage a couple of runs from the Pleney, the Rosset'Az (top of the Rosta) always has a good plat du jour, but may be farther than you want to travel!
ski holidays
@snowfraise, That's very helpful. Will put them on our to visit list. The one on the right of the top of Rosta is a good tip as there are blues, a red and a black from the top - so suitable pistes for everyone. Thank you.
latest report
It's the one on the right. The other is more cafeteria style @Jaunebec.
ski holidays
I damaged my knee in November, had a meniscus repair at the beginning of December, with slowish recovery, but last Monday I took to the Morzine slopes armed with my brand new season pass. 3 hours later I was in the blood wagon down to the hospital in Morzine for X rays etc. Full assessment is tomorrow, but clearly my season is over Sad. I have 8 friends staying with me back in Morzine from next week - it'll be hard to sit at home while they're all out having fun. So the question is - where can I reasonably get to on foot to meet them for lunch? (and we certainly like our lunches) Our favourites are Paika and Nanon, which I can't get to I don't think. So the only ones I can think of are Vaffieu (sp)and Goat Village. Any others accessible by gondola from Ardent, Pleney, Super Morzine or Prodains and a short stagger? Cheers
latest report
Bus to Les Gets, then gondola up to the Grande Ourse perhaps?
snow report
OK thanks, of course - but I can't recollect whether the Grand Ourse is a bit of a climb from the gondola?
ski holidays
@noggy, I think that the GO would be too much of a climb from the gondola, I am not sure that you could talk the lifties on the Grand Ourse lift into taking you up and down again, and although you can be a pedestrian on the Pointe lift then it would be a steep walk down from the top.

Super Morzine bubble up and then maybe the shortish walk up to Le Passage, or just across to the Grenouille.

There is the large restaurant up at Nyon - we haven't eaten there for years but easy access for you. We prefer the Cornette just across the way.

We have quite often enjoyed lunch at the Chasse Montagne which is by the bottom of the Follietts lift - you can take the C bus from Les Gets up there.

If you have a car and are driving (but maybe not with a busted knee problem) then there is the QG which is on the right on the run down to Les Gets and accessible by car. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Restaurant-le-QG/306552599461607

and then there are a few restaurants on the Chavannes - the Croix Blanche or Grand Cry perhaps.

What hugely bad luck for you though.

Sad Sad
ski holidays
That's really helpful, thanks @Pamski,

And they won't give me my EUR700 back for the lift pass either, so feeling very sorry for myself!
ski holidays
@noggy,
Quote:

won't give me my EUR700 back for the lift pass

what? will you be able to get some sort of medical certificate to hand in.
ski holidays
They said they wouldn't give a refund - fullstop.
ski holidays
Can you claim it on your insurance @noggy,
snow report
Unfortunately, I can't see how.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy