Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've finally booked for Feb 2015 (along with it appears every other living soul) and are going to be in Chatel for the first time (We did have a holiday opposite the Linga lift about 17 years ago!). This is probably the least obvious ski in/out location that we've been in for a while, so I have a few questions: (Sorry for the length of this)

The bus that runs from Chatel to Pres la Joux. What time does it start in the mornings? What time does the lift start? Is it horribly busy, or if we were on the street at say 08:45 would it be OK?

If we drove to the lift. is the parking OK, and does the road ever close? I will (obviously) have chains, and I'm considering winter tyres. ISTR that last time we did drive to Pre la Joux each day, but that we had good weather all week which is clearly not a given.

If one skis over to Morgins I understand that a bus is required to get across town. How long/frequent is this? Is it a walkable distance?

I've got some questions about the new lifts in Vonnes, but I've asked them in another thread on the subject, though please feel free to chip in here too.

Anything else I should know about Chatel? It looks like a nice place (that was my memory from last time) but I am a little concerned about the skiing, which is after all the reason why we are going.

LR
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LittleRob, You've made a good choice Cool

I can answer some of your questions....

The bus to Pre la Joux (PLJ)...apparently starts at 08.00 in Feb and 8.30 all other times. It runs every 15 mins. Lifts generally open at 0900, sometimes delayed if they are still clearing. The bus is horribly busy at half term at peak times. I would say 8.45 would be a very bad time to try to get on a bus Skullie I would go early and have a coffee in the Perdrix.

We always drive up to PLJ car park. The car park is very busy at half term and you need to allow a bit of time especially if snowing. I would aim to be parking between 8.30 and 8.45 to get a decent spot. The traffic is heavy and slow going up. I very, very much doubt the road would ever close, if it's that bad I'd guess the skiing generally might be limited. We have been very glad to have winter tyres for the car park at PLJ as it is generally a compacted layer of ice and snow and on a slope. We have on occasion used chains as well. I have come back to the car on the car park and I have seen parked cars which have slid into the next car.

I've never gone over to Morgins but the hubby has, he said about 10 mins walk. Others will know more on this than me.

The new Vonnes-Linga lift is an up and over chair going in both directions, so you basically go up on the chair one side and down on the other. AFAIK no piste down on either side.

The new pool is very nice indeed.

Where are you staying? Have you booked lessons from Pre La Joux? Do you need ski hire?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morgins? more like 5mins, but I guess that may depend on how much snow. ISTR the last bit was skiing down a road, then it's like a 100yard walk, but I've not been that way for years (really need to go back).
edit: that's going from chatel to morgins and onwards. might be more on the way back, unless you XC ski up the snowy road.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah Thanks for the reply. We're probably not booking lessons this year, the kids (14 & 12) no longer get them, so unless we did a private day (which is a possibility) then we're just off as a family each day. Do you know anyone who could do us a day off-piste?

Ski-hire yes, but I've not given it too much thought yet. Our aim (which we have done a few times now) is to drive overnight, kip in the car for a few hours, and be in-resort at about 10:00 then ski a day before heading off to the apartment (which is somewhere along the Linga road. This time we're also thinking of skiing the last day (Saturday 21st) until about 16:00 before driving 2 or 3 hours to a hotel for the night. So we need 8 day hire with easy pickup/drop off. I wonder if somewhere in Linga or Pre la Joux might be the best idea.

andy
Quote:
unless you XC ski up the snowy road.
You've not seen me ski have you wink but yes I was thinking of heading out that way to start the day.

LR
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LittleRob, re. a day off piste, I know the BASS Chatel guys well and they would except that it's half term and they are chocka with group lessons that week. Except that they might just be able to do a day on a Saturday or on the Sunday. If you think you'd want to I wouldn't hang about. Get in touch with Peter there http://www.britishskischool.com/BASS_Resorts/Chatel

For ski hire our lot use Pre la Joux Sports a lot as it's convenient (if you ski from Pre la Joux), you can leave kit there overnight and they have good well maintained kit. There's also Vertical Horizons in the village but very close to Linga. There are a couple of places in Linga but we've never used them.

Think about getting your passes soon, you can get them online, pretty sure there is a discount now on early bookings.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
LittleRob wrote:
sarah Thanks for the reply. We're probably not booking lessons this year, the kids (14 & 12) no longer get them, so unless we did a private day (which is a possibility) then we're just off as a family each day. Do you know anyone who could do us a day off-piste?

Ski-hire yes, but I've not given it too much thought yet. Our aim (which we have done a few times now) is to drive overnight, kip in the car for a few hours, and be in-resort at about 10:00 then ski a day before heading off to the apartment (which is somewhere along the Linga road. This time we're also thinking of skiing the last day (Saturday 21st) until about 16:00 before driving 2 or 3 hours to a hotel for the night. So we need 8 day hire with easy pickup/drop off. I wonder if somewhere in Linga or Pre la Joux might be the best idea.

andy
Quote:
unless you XC ski up the snowy road.
You've not seen me ski have you wink but yes I was thinking of heading out that way to start the day.

LR

If you don't need to have lessons it'll be easier for you to take the bus and get off at Linga - a 'A - Linga,PLJ' bus runs every couple of mins, especially in the morning, when getting the bus on day off I've never waited more than 2 mins. You can then ski to Pre la Joux and onwards to Avoriaz etc - if you want. Traffic can be heavy in the morning and I find there's no point in driving/getting the bus to PLJ when you can ski there perfectly easily and what is likely to be less time than the bus... plus you're on a ski holiday so skiing makes sense Smile also, skiing down the linga at the end of the day is one of my favourite runs, and hugely under rated for some un known reason - but that leaves more room for me to ski it I guess

If you're after a day off piste ESI have really good guides all speak English and are really really good.

We work with SKiHire2U, they come out and fit you where you are staying, it works for us, and the equipment is always great - and much newer than hire shops, also, if you have any problems they come to your place and change your stuff - no dragging it to town!

The Vonnes bus goes to Morgins a couple of times a day, but you have to connect on to another bus and Lac de Morgins and the buses aren't that often. Best to ski from Super Chatel, there's normally a snowy path you can ski along to just opposite the morgins lift on the other side of the road, coming back is easy too - the free bus runs every few mins and there's always been one waiting when we've been skiing back. It drops at the lift connecting back to SuperChatel, but don't leave it too late in the day as it's a fiddley connection and can take a while if it's busy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After a quote of £640 for 2 afternoons we have decided to forgo the pleasure of family lessons.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LittleRob, you what? £640?

ESF Chatel will do a 3 hour "excursion" including, if requested, some avalanche training for €150...up to 8 people. http://www.esf-chatel.com/en/downhillskiing/private-small-group.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd also do what Mountain Addiction, suggests. The run from Linga onwards is a good start to the day and it would avoid messing about in plj.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LittleRob, how close are you to the Super Chatel gondola? The Super Chatel area is due to be linked with Linga for this season, which means that, from the centre of chatel, you can ski to Linga and PlJ rather than take the bus, via the Vonnes up-and-over chair that Sarah mentioned.

If you're not close to the village centre or Vonnes, this new link might reduce the congestion on both the Linga and PlJ car parks and also the morning bus during peak periods.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LittleRob, Some years ago i stayed in La Linga and the bus Chatel to Pres la Joux was always filled when passing by just after La Linga . We gave up using the bus and took car up to Pres L Joux as there is a large free parking area.

We were at the bus stop at about 8.00 and at 9.00 we gave up waiting, and went back to the our car. (hope you come by car ).

So, I can confirme Sarah on that.

For eating out try: http://www.renardhotel.com/ it was quite good!!!! Very Happy , and in walking distance from La Linga. (not with ski-booths)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hyst, not sure why you would get the bus up to Pre la Joux when (as Mountain Addiction says) it's a great ski. Seems like an unnecessary pfaff each morning.

I stayed at Linga in March to do a BASI Level 2 course. The meeting point was the Pedrix Blanche at Pre la Joux at 0915 each morning. We were able to catch the 0845 first bubble up TC du Linga, quick ski down to get the TS De l'echo Alpin and ski down and we were always on time; much better start to the day imho!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@abd, What did LittleRob ask about? I just answer to that.

You are free to give an other advice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy