Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ptarmigan Restaurant (Cairngorm) in Name Change

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-29444673

IMO the new name is a bit naff, to say the least - it'll never catch on. What's wrong with Ptarmigan anyway? Nothing wrong with leaving it at that with the bird's close association with the Cairngorms.

Whatever next? Why not 're-brand' the Ptarmigan Tow and Ptarmigan Bowl? Or how about sponsorship......
- The Pepsi Max Draglift?
- The Totally Awesome Learners' Zone: Sponsored by Starbucks?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-29444673

IMO the new name is a bit naff, to say the least - it'll never catch on. What's wrong with Ptarmigan anyway? Nothing wrong with leaving it at that with the bird's close association with the Cairngorms.

Whatever next? Why not 're-brand' the Ptarmigan Tow and Ptarmigan Bowl? Or how about sponsorship......
- The Pepsi Max Draglift?
- The Totally Awesome Learners' Zone: Sponsored by Starbucks?

I don't see the problem with the cafe name change and I think I am chancing my luck by saying I wouldn't have a problem with the name changes you suggested!! If it meant an improvement in facilities and more investment on the mountain then go for it, it seems they are removing uplift from Cairngorm mountain so if selling out to some large brands meant cash coming in then I think it would be a broadly a positive move.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have to agree mountainaddict, everyone knows it as Ptarmigan cafe and will still call it that, certainly can't see them saying meet you at the 1097. New owners are not making a very good impression with their regular customers especially season ticket holders as they have decided season tickets will not cover the train all year round as they previously had.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
... apparently the marketing gurus at Natural Retreats thought "Ptarmigan" was too hard to pronounce.

I kid you not rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just be glad they didn't call it a stupid gastropub name "The Pleasured Pig", "The Rampant Reindeer" "Organic Ocelot".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, lol.

ten seventynine or one thousand and seventynine just rolls off the tongue though eh, unlike ptarmigan wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Just be glad they didn't call it a stupid gastropub name "The Pleasured Pig", "The Rampant Reindeer" "Organic Ocelot".

or the Ptolemaic ptarmigan
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
I don't see the problem with the cafe name change and I think I am chancing my luck by saying I wouldn't have a problem with the name changes you suggested!!
Fair dos - each to their own - it's all about opinions.

Quote:
If it meant an improvement in facilities and more investment on the mountain then go for it
Bet it doesn't though....Despite year after year ticket price increases and the absolute scandal of charging £33.35 (£34.50 next winter) for a day pass when only 2-3 lifts are operational. I hope I am wrong but I have seen nothing so far that suggests the new operators are planning any improvements for the better.... Confused

There's even a rumour that they are planning to level the perfectly functional Daylodge and replace it. Nothing on upgrading lifts though, or re-instatement of the Ciste Chair.... Crying or Very sad

Quote:
New owners are not making a very good impression with their regular customers especially season ticket holders as they have decided season tickets will not cover the train all year round as they previously had.
'Nuff said.... Mad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with the pricing in Scottish resorts - it's not on to charge full prices for an incomplete set of uplift but that's the freemarket eh? Just saying that change is not a bad thing and if it's simply the name of a cafe then where's the harm it's not like the name change will make your cup of tea taste any worse.

Judging by your break down of my comments (the second quote is a little out of context, it was a hypothetical point) you seem very attached to the Ptarmigan name so I have a simple solution which might work for you.....Never EVER call it the 1097 cafe, always refer to it as the Ptarmigan cafe when speaking about the cafe and refuse to acknowledge the existence of anyone who calls it 1097.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Let's hope the food improves with the name change!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't see how the quote is out of context - though that wasn't my intention. Just that you think it could all lead to improvements on the hill - and I don't. As I said, it's all about opinions and you are entitled (of course) to your view.

Thanks for the very handy tips concerning the name change wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Changing the name is a cheap, pathetic marketing gimmick, presumeably intended to con the public into thinking there is something wholly new being created.

The issue is the loss of Scottish skiing heritage. The Ptarmigan is a piece of UK snowsports history and the highest building in the country. It has all sorts of powerful memories for thousands of people and its name is entirely fitting for its modern context, high in the Cairngorms National Park.

The excuse that 'Ptarmigan' is too difficult to pronounce says everything you need to know about this level of corporate marketing Mad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're right, Peter. I'm not clear as to the motives of Natural Retreats running Cairngorm, but they don't come across as Natural Skiers. Maybe they will beat a Hasty Retreat.

Yes, it was the Ptarmigan when I worked on Cairngorm for the first time in December 1974 (i.e. 40 years) ago, when the original dome-shaped cafe up there was going strong, and it'll always be called the Ptarmigan by Cairngorm's skiers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have to agree with Peter. And what kind of marketing genius knowing (presumably) that Cairngorm is competing for business against the Alps in these days of cheap flights, would draw attention to it's relatively low altitude?

Of course many of us know to take latitude into account, but a huge slice of the market just looks at the highest figure when searching for snow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Scottish highlands have a big tourist base from outside the UK. Keeping Cairngorm financially viable depends on year round tourism not just skiers, and the most profitable of these (presumably as the costs are low) are the summer tourists who pay to go for a train ride to get some food. Using a name that they can easily market makes much more business sense.
snow report
Good point Elizabeth B, I hadn't thought about non-skiers. It's still heritage vandalism though.
latest report
Quote:
Using a name that they can easily market makes much more business sense.
Er, why can't they market the name Ptarmigan? So at the moment it goes something like this?....Summer tourist sees one of the Cairngorm promo leaflets that are widely available throughout Scotland and thinks: 'That train ride up a mountain looks good - let's go there. Hang on...what's that restaurant at the top called?.....Forget it!'
ski holidays
I was at Newcastle Uni from 1974. The main bar was called The Men's Bar. At some point some pressure group got it renamed The People's Bar.

No-one liked that name apart from no doubt those who forced through the name change. So we all kept calling it The Men's Bar.

And I have just checked and 40 years on it is officially The Men's Bar.

So lets just keep referring to the Ptarmigan as Comedy Goldsmith says.
latest report
I prefer "Ten Ninety Seven".

Never knew how to say Pertarmigan.

Now it's back as a county, I think there's a few dodgy looking place names up there that should be sorted out.

Consultancy fees well spent!
snow report
Just calling it the 'tarmigan whould have kept everybody happy, shirley.
ski holidays
Quote:
Now it's back as a county, I think there's a few dodgy looking place names up there that should be sorted out.
Consultancy fees well spent!

^ Ahhh... narrow minded and ignorant British nationalism at its very best.

First snow of the winter up at the Ptarmigan on Cairngorm this morning Wink_

https://www.facebook.com/CairnGormMtn/photos/a.536811246412398.1073741863.138991532861040/712108028882718/?type=1&theater
snow report
Happens all the time on the continent when Brits rename runs like 'the happy valley' or 'the hidden valley'. The locals still call them by their own language original names. I reckon that is exactly what will happen here too. I know it'll always be the ptarmigan to me and my mates.
snow conditions
altis wrote:
Just calling it the 'tarmigan whould have kept everybody happy, shirley.

Laughing
snow report
MCL wrote:
Let's hope the food improves with the name change!

I had a great chilli in there - its just the plastic canteen ambience that lets it down. Needs to be decked out in tongue in groove Very Happy
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
... narrow minded and ignorant British nationalism at its very best.

Switch off the irony filter on yer pc wink
snow conditions
If they've changed the name of the restaurant because punters can't pronounce the name of it, surely the next logical step will be to change the name of the unpronounceable cutlery in the unpronounceable restaurant!

New name for knives, anyone? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
If they've changed the name of the restaurant because punters can't pronounce the name of it, surely the next logical step will be to change the name of the unpronounceable cutlery in the unpronounceable restaurant!

New name for knives, anyone? Toofy Grin

Skean-Dhu? (or Sgian-Dubh if you really want to confuse the visitors)..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've not yet had the pleasure of skiing the cairngorm, so not coming at this with any pre-conceived notions of what the restaurant should be called, or if either name suits the character.

Speaking objectively, if I was in the area and heard there was a restaurant called 1079 ,which indicated it was the highest building in the country, I'd be more likely to visit. If I heard there was a restaurant named Ptarmigan, I doubt I'd carry on listening, as I'm not particularly interested in ornithology. I wonder if you said to my kids 'do you want to go to a restaurant that's on top of a mountain and is the highest building in Britain, or one that's named after a bird' does anyone think they'd choose the latter?

I suspect that would be the reason for the name change Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As you cannot drive to the restaurant (you need to take the funicular) I don't think many tourists visit the ptarmigan bowl primarily to use the restaurant. They are usually there for walking, skiing etc.
There isn't a plethora of other eateries to choose from on the hill that it has to compete with.
It may attract a few visitors on novelty value regarding height, doubt that many, and not enough IMV to warrant a name change.
Out of interest how many English premiership fans still call the stadiums by their old (non-sponsor) names??
snow report
The CairnGormJock restaurant? wink pop my consultancy fees in the post
ski holidays
One has to admire the brilliance of the marketeers:
1. Highlight to skiers how low the resort is by international standards
2. Alienate the milling crowds of summer tourists, by giving an obscure technical numerical reference. Particularly the twitchers Toofy Grin

Surely if they needed to dumb it down it should have been "The highest restaurant in Scotland" because quite frankly, I have no idea how high any other restaurant is....

And just to note to M535man, they only renamed the restaurant, they didn't move it lower down Confused
snow report
The height is comparable to scandinavian resorts, so thats not an issue....the tree line in scotland doesn't go much past 600m due to weather extremes. Rather than rename the cafe, they should improve the other million things which make skiing there a right pain in the bahookie!.
Meanwhile at Glenshee they're getting on with important things, like building/replacing chairlifts.
latest report
AndyG wrote:
Meanwhile at Glenshee they're getting on with important things, like building/replacing chairlifts.

..and getting rid of the decrepit Spittal of Glenshee Hotel in a fire! wink
ski holidays
RIP the spittal!...used to quite like it many years ago (about 20 years ago) but it really needed upgraded, esp in the last few years of it's life. These electrical fires seem to happen a lot in failing hotels!
snow conditions
It's not even 1097 according to the OS 1:50k map - more like 1080.
ski holidays
dode wrote:

I don't think many tourists visit the ptarmigan bowl primarily to use the restaurant.

Yes they do! On account of not being allowed to do anything else Sad Outwith the ski season all they can do is eat, drink, shop and hope to spot a 'tarmigan if they've bought their 'bins' with them.
They cannot leave the restaurant to explore the protected realm of the snow fences and bulldozed pistes in their summer glory.
ski holidays
"The ptarmigan is a plump gamebird"

Speciality of the house? Braised is nice, apparently. http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/b/braised_ptarmigan.html
snow conditions
Tourists hoping to spot a ptarmigan eh?

Surely they must now be being told to look out for a 1097? wink
snow conditions
"Out of interest how many English premiership fans still call the stadiums by their old (non-sponsor) names??"

The answer is none - as there are no premier league grounds that have changed name.
ski holidays
Bergmeister, is man c not the etihad, and arsenal the emirates???
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy