Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello, I would like to do Heliskiing and cat ski in Alaska.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have no idea where to start, so first I would like to know where is the best city or region to start, what is the best time for the best snow condition (deep powder). my budget is limited so I'll be happy for any advice, that would help to organized the ultimate off-pist trip in Alaska.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Limited budget, alaska, heliskiing/catskiing, ultimate off piste trip all in one request?! Might be worth being specific about the "limited budget" bit. I've spent about 6months in Alaska (not skiing) and cheap it ain't... Broadly speaking you'll be looking at $1-2k/day for a heli skiing trip.

There's only 3 cities of any significance - Anchorage, Fairbanks (very cold and northern) and Juneau (milder climate). The coastal regions are much snowier (the far north is a desert)

Touring on the other hand could be very reasonable, once you've got a flight there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
so when I say limited budget, I mean i the heli-skiing is very expensive, so I would to do 3-4 days of heliski, I would like to find the best value for money. and more 3-4 cat ski. My idea is to go in March for around 20 days all trip, to start with a few days to acclimate to new time zone, in nice relaxing place and continue with cat ski and after haliski, I like deep fresh powder and steep. I'm doing snowboarding. For the place I would like to find the best because, I'm going to fly so far away. also for the date I'm flexible to find the best condition.
Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yariv_har, The downside to Alaska (apparently) is that the weather windows for heliskiing can be limited. I believe that one of the heli-operators at least also operates cats.

There is a search function on here which would be a starting point.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey yariv_har
I have a couple of suggestions. Valdez is home to many Alaska heliski/heliboard operators, here is a list of Valdez Alaska heliskiing operators. I think the least expensive option is to get a motel room in Valdez. Another option is to rent an RV. Then cherry-pick the best days with one or more of these operators. You can count on 3/7 down days. During which time you can sled or catski/board on Thompson Pass (talk to Black Ops Valdez).

You might also take a look at Alyeska. CPG operates heliskiing/heliboarding from there. On the other days you can resort or catski/board.

Another good deal is to ride with Sean Dog at Alaska Heliskiing in Haines.

If you want to commit to an operator for a multi-day heliboarding trip, let me know and I will put together the best options.
Best,
tj
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
First thank you HELISKI.com, and yes I could commit, if is a good deal. but still I'm not sure what is the best time for the best snow condition, I was heard the best time is March, but as I said I'm flexible with the date, to find the best snow condition.
So let me know what is your advice to me HELISKI.COM.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Alaska heliskiing season is short, just 8-10 weeks. I would target the first week of April, and expand if you can't find availability. Email if you want me to put together the best options. tj at HELISKI.com
tj
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was in same situation last year. First thinking where best, until I realised that all Valdez, Haines and Chugach are all great places and you can't go wrong with any. The more remote you go the longer it will take to get there and the more isolated (sitting around with little to do) you will be as there is a lot of down time in Alaska. There is not much Cat to speak of up there. Best go to BC for that, where you will also pay less due to the bigger operations and more people in a Helicopter. best time - early is fresh and fluffy, late is corn, but the operations know how to find the best each day. If you go early they might not have had the big dump they need to get the powder on steep faces. This is what happened last year - no big dumps, thin snow cover, very wind blown and amazing views/scenery/ flying around the glaciers finding good drops. Chugach has Anchorage, some tourist sights to occupy the days and an excellent operation. Good refund policy and flexible about getting you up when they can. If in doubt go up for Iditerod. It really is amazing to be up there and follow it whilst in Alaska. In short, you can't go wrong but be realistic, Alaska is a great wilderness at any time but even it can't guarantee an experience like the movies.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alaska Heliski in Haines. They get more fly days here than most others in Alaska. They also do a ski bum special.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alaska is certainly the place for a Heliski of a lifetime. You can get taken on steeper slopes there than other places - partly because the snow is more stable (I am told).
The problem with Alaska is that about half the days you cannot fly. That is a big loss and certainly going somewhere which has cat skiing as an alternative would be a good solution.
If you heliski in Canada you get only about one or so no-fly days a week on average, but the slopes are tamer.
The only time I have heli-skied (other than a few single drops in Europe) I did a compromise: I skied with Last Frontier at their holiday base at Stewart in Canada, right on the border of the southern tip of Alaska, by the coast. We were the only skiers in a huge area of landscape. The terrain is a bit harder than their other areas but the off days are only a bit more than the Canadian average. In my case we had one day off. There was no other skiing offered.
You get about 7 flights per day - I think we got 8 on one very good day. I think the vertical on the Alaskan mountains might be more, so I don't know if that translates as fewer flights.
Our helicopters held one group with one guide. Many are larger and hold 2 groups (or one big group) with 2 guides. Ideally the helicopter services 3 loads (2 skiing while one is flown up) which means it doesn't have to wait, wasting fuel. We only had two loads, which wasn't as economical for them as could have been, but I think they have a new, larger lodge now.
Warning - put aside A LOT of cash for tips at the end. It is expected.

up

down

the helicopter waiting for us to ski down to it for (picnic) lunch.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey, I would talk to the experts at gohelicatskiing.com, they are a Swedish/Canadian based outfit, super cool and really know their stuff. Happy travels Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all responders, right now I'm thinking to get to Valdez in early March, for two weeks and a half, so days off are less worry me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Valedz is good but you should check Haines out it's the new poo-poo:) http://gohelicatskiing.com/spots/south-east-alaska-backcountry-adventures-seaba/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy