Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton first week of December

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am looking at going to St Anton the first week of December. Historically does anybody have first hand experience of the snow cover for around this time. I don't want to book and the pistes be bare (i know there's a risk of this, this early in the season).

Any help is much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are heading out there at that time of year I would seriously take a look at Ischgl which is more likely to have more open given the majority of slopes are above 2000m and they put a lot of effort into snowmaking.

The higher lifts and Rendl will not be open in St Anton, although snow allowing a fair amount of lower stuff will be. From memory I'd say one year in five you could be looking at bare or very thin slopes.

I've certainly been to St Anton and had fun in the first week, but not something I would book in advance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jerby, been there 4x at this time and it's been great powder skiing on the grassy slopes but Rendl and other rocky slopes are out of bounds. Leave until week before to book anything you'll have the place to yourself, perfect, I'd say its a 9/10 chance you'll be ok.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
St Anton is not open until the End of the first week in December i.e Friday 5th !!

Operations will be very limited even if there is a lot of snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shock horror Stanton post something that isn't anti UK and is actually useful. Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29, it's a great place, but that's a bit over optimistic. Straight off I can think of two years out of the last 10 where St Anton hasn't run a single lift at the start of December (I know because I was there). Although more to the point is that it won't actually open till 05 December.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jerby,
Go higher (e.g. go to one of the glaciers or Obergurgl) or book late and follow the snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jerby, I am, not iam?! Wahay! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Really early season Ischgl is usually better as they seem to prioritise getting stuff open even before the resort gets busy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen, just because the lifts aren't open doesn't mean there isn't snow to be skied, like I said leave it until week before is my advice.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29, not really. It was completely green. So I drove on to Ischgl.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spent the las tfew years doing a Mark Warner first week in St Anton which has been mixed but we have been able to ski, well, over most of the mountain. Snow coverage has been varied from awesome to "glad I'm on hire skis". Would say that every year it has snowed really heavily the last few days there which, in hindight, means the following week would be much better, and more expensive.
As with everything, you pays your money you take your chance!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went there second week of Dec last year. The pistes were open, but hardly anywhere to get lunch etc. Almost zero apres. Pistes with stones in the middle of them. I wouldn't gamble any earlier than we did with 2 months to go - much better to aim somewhere more snow sure. Given the fairly limited rain/snow and warm temps in September there is going to need to be a big change fairly soon for the start of the season to be anywhere near guaranteed other than at the very highest resorts this year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jerby,
If you are flying out the weekend before 5th Dec there's no point going to St Anton. Even if it does snow before 5th Dec there wouldn't be any lifts running and I take it piste bashers would be out in force getting the pistes ready.

Resort opening dates here ....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112593
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Given the fairly limited rain/snow and warm temps in September there is going to need to be a big change fairly soon for the start of the season to be anywhere near guaranteed other than at the very highest resorts this year.

Thats that then
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

Given the fairly limited rain/snow and warm temps in September there is going to need to be a big change fairly soon for the start of the season to be anywhere near guaranteed other than at the very highest resorts this year.

Thats that then

The weather in the mountains can change rapidly and, as a British Snowsports enthusiast, never forget the first rule; remain eternally optimistic! Laughing
latest report
Mistress Panda wrote:

Since when did September weather have any influence on late Nov/early Dec weather???
ski holidays
kitenski, it doesn't, but if the weather carries on how it has for a few more weeks it will do. If there was snow forecast on the long range stuff for resorts in a few weeks time I'd start being more comfortable taking the gamble of lower altitude resorts. Right now the only safe bets are the very highest resorts, and even they are not safe bets for start of Dec - could easily end up glacier skiing or with quite limited number of runs open.
latest report
Mistress Panda, I disagree, it is often warm right up to November.... and long range forecasts are close to useless IMHO......a short cold snap and a decent 50cm to 1m dump in a few days can and often does kick start a season.......
ski holidays
And, moreover, a big dump in mid to late November can get everybody excited and be followed by temperatures well above freezing up to 3000m.

There'll be plenty of accommodation in those resorts which are open and no argument for closing down your options by booking ages in advance.
snow conditions
ansta1,

All you need to know

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110527
snow report
Just to clarify on behalf of Jerby, by first week in Dec he meant departing on the 6th.
ski holidays
Cinsha wrote:
Just to clarify on behalf of Jerby, by first week in Dec he meant departing on the 6th.

Sad Thanks cinsha. Behind a good bloke is a good women. Ok I got it wrong again Embarassed Slap me later.
snow report
Jerby, there you go then, lifts will be open (if there's snow). Book it a week before or even turn up and knock on a few doors, you'll easy get a room at the right price.
snow report
I would wait until the week before then choose a resort with good conditions, accommodation shouldnt be a problem in Decemberl
snow report
Thanks for the info. It is the right idea to wait and see what the snow covers like.
ski holidays
sorry to jump in on this thread, i have booked for 20th Dec to St Anton and after reading this thread, and comments on another thread that the town is extremely quiet before xmas, am now getting quite nervous. Can anyone give me an idea what to expect? I haven't been to austria before and have spent previous years skiing the large french resorts and always much later in the season.
snow report
benburton83, don't panic, best early season week to go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, ok thanks for the reassurance
ski holidays
Still not looking good for the first weeke of Dec ......

http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC
snow conditions
@DB, Some good mountainbiking to be had still wink

Dont panic, its coming, my local friends are super-confident!!
latest report
@Markymark29,

You do realise that this thread will be bumped up during early Dec every year to prove / disprove your 9/10 theory don't you? Toofy Grin wink
snow report
@DB, Yep wink
ski holidays
We're discussing driving round to Ischgl each day, seems to be plenty up there.
ski holidays
Just to point out this is why I was suggesting Ischgl at this time of year.
ski holidays
He ground is starting to look white on the webcams now. Fingers crossed for everyone going there in the next few weeks (and for myself for a good day be of season snow Happy).
snow report
@nozawaonsen, the skiing in Ishgl was great, however we all agreed we hated the town. Elizabeth bar is the worst apres spot I've had the misfortune to endure. Surly aggressive arrogant punters and skanky go-go girls. Bloody Orrible.
snow report
Hi chaps as I will have a hire car for my trip to st anton on the 20th i will be mobile and could 'follow the snow' if need be, how long does it take to get to Ischgl seems quite close on google maps? Never done Austria before so I am hoping St Anton will be fine as the hotel I booked wasn't cheap and really don't want to be getting up very early and driving off somewhere, its still meant to be a holiday!!
latest report
@benburton83, the road is quite a bit further than as the crow flies; I think it would be around 40 mins?
ski holidays
@benburton83, @clarky999, 45 minutes given average traffic.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy