Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas treat - where to go with the kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

have tried searching the web for where to go, and do a DIY package for my two sons and me over the Christmas break, and my head is getting mashed up with the options. any help from experienced folks would be appreciated.

we are looking at going from Sat 27th Dec, for between 5 & 7 nights. i have some airmiles from Lufthansa/Swiss that I can use to keep flight costs down a bit, so guess airports would be either Munich or Zurich as hubs for the airlines, with car hire from there.

anybody tried this sort of DIY route?

first question is - what resorts would be best to aim for at that time of year (probability of snowfall/ snow cannons, etc) within approx 2 hr drive of either airport?
once that is sorted, getting ski hire, lift passes, accommodation, is a wee bit easier.

note, we are all reasonably confident skiers (been skiing together now since 2010, but usually go in Feb 1/2 term on package deals) who can do the odd black run (so long as it isn't too mogul-infested - my old knees can only take so much! 11 year old likes to do red or blue, 16 year old prefers red or black).

thanks in anticipation of any useful guidance given,

Pete
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I (and lots of others on here) frequently do DIY trips.

Your dates are peak season - new year's week. Are there definitely airmiles flights available? That is likely to be the constraining factor on where you go to start off (e.g. whether Geneva flights are available, or Munich etc.).

If you fly into Geneva, there's a bunch of different transfer services ranging from minibus transfers to specific resorts (e.g. Chamonix, Morzine), public transport (typically a bit slow) such as trains to swiss resorts, or car rental. As a peak week, car rental prices are reasonably high - I guess you'll be somewhere around £300 for the week.

For accommodation, again, its peak week so you might be quite constrained. In particular you might be forced to take a full 6/7 days if you go for a hotel option or apartment rental option in a large resort.

I'd start with flight availability, then check whether car rental is realistic or whether you'll need transfers (which will limit you to particular resorts). If you can rent a car, and fly to anywhere, then the world (or at least the European bit of it!) is your oyster...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
efcbluepete, if going to Zurich, you could get a train direct to Langen am Arlberg and base yourselves in Stuben (5 min taxi). Absolutely tonnes of skiing in the Arlberg and Stuben a quieter and cheaper base than St Anton/Zurs/Lech. Also has one of the best snow records in the Alps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
anybody tried this sort of DIY route?

I haven't tried that route. I normally drive. However, DIY suits people who are happy to co-ordinate and book each part of the trip themselves. And that are happy to deal with problems as they arise themselves. If the thought of having to find your ongoing transport in a busy foreign airport or dealing with an apartment agency in resort, etc. fills you with dread, it's not for you.

Quote:
first question is - what resorts would be best to aim for at that time of year (probability of snowfall/ snow cannons, etc) within approx 2 hr drive of either airport?

Christmas week IME is never a major issue in terms of snow cover. It's not a bad idea to go somewhere with skiing below the treeline. It can be grey and grim some days at that time of the year.

As others have said it's a peak week so you need to get transport and accommodation sorted asap, then onward transport and ski lessons. Unless you have some compelling reason not to, I would do 7 days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
efcbluepete, 3 hours on the train from Munich will get you to almost any of the good eastern Austrian resorts, such as Bad Gastein, Zell am See, Saalbach-Hinterglemm (short bus ride from Zell am See), Leogang, Zillertal (Zell am Ziller, Mayrhofen etc). Some places require a short taxi or bus ride from the nearest station - e.g. Maria Alm and some other Ski Amade resorts.

Train connections are easy to find using the railway websites oebb.at or bahn.de - the German Bahn.de often has better prices. Both sites are in English. There is an S-bahn station at Munich Airport and you change at Munich Ost for mainline services to the resort areas (so you don't usually need to travel all the way into central Munich).

Alternatively, there are minibus transfers to all of these resorts, or you could hire a car. The routes by road will almost certainly take longer than by rail over the Christmas/New Year period.

As others have pointed out, you have picked the busiest week of the season, but there is still accommodation available, for example by using the booking services of the Tourist Office websites. These will show you self-catering apartments and B&B/Guest House/Pensions so that you can compare prices. Or Google.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
efcbluepete, you have a PM Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you can fly to Milan or Turin, Champoluc might suit well. High enough and fully cannoned. You may want to check out ski2 as they provide transfers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of help and ideas, thanks very much.

An early start tomorrow and I will do a bit of exploring and asking stuff of region/resort/accommodation people.

Now, "don't skip leg day" will be my motto to be sure my old knees will be up to the job Very Happy

Cheers,

Pete
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy