Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smart Watches...

Poster: A snowHead
Really interesting area IMHO and things are moving on a pace.

As far as I know not many watches track skiing yet, apart from the Garmin Fenix and Fenix2

A new watch on the way from BASIS looks interesting and of course need more details on the Apple Watch inc is it water/sweat proof and how long the battery lasts.

Anyone got a "smart" watch??

BASIS announcement http://www.mybasis.com/blog/2014/09/peak-announce-post/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's like the Apple Watch it will need charging every night, which happens to be the same time as it's meant to be monitoring your sleep. Am I alone in thinking that smart watches are going to be as big a success as 3D TV? (i.e. not very)

Also, looking at the enormous size of it you're going to struggle to get that under the wrist cuff of your skiing gloves.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there has been no official word on Apple Watch battery life from what I know.

The BASIS peak says "a battery life of up to 4 days and more"
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
If it's like the Apple Watch it will need charging every night, which happens to be the same time as it's meant to be monitoring your sleep. Am I alone in thinking that smart watches are going to be as big a success as 3D TV? (i.e. not very)

Also, looking at the enormous size of it you're going to struggle to get that under the wrist cuff of your skiing gloves.

I think it will sell millions. Apple's Watch looks marginally smaller than the Suunto watch I often use when skiing (it's definitely smaller across, 42mm compared to 48mm, and I guessing not much difference in height off the wrist). No problem using that watch with ski gloves.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
foxtrotzulu, not like you to need a watch to monitor your sleep?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, actually... you do Wink I'm not talking about some Apple/Samsung watch, but real stuff like Polar for example, calculates your recovery status based on many different things, and sleep quality is just one of them. It might not be very important thing for some, but for people who are seriously in sport, it's pretty big deal Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jogi, its the sleep analysis that is drawing me towards the new BASIS, I have a Garmin Vivofit but that just shows graphs of how restless or not you were.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never understood why anyone would want an app to tell them where they've been.
I know where i've been.
What i want to know is where to go.
Like the good satnavs that inform on traffic conditions.
I want a device that tells me where the queues are, and what lifts are empty.
Which pistes are busy and which are quiet
Also good to know state of restaurants and bars, but maybe more tricky to get this data.
On my phone please - old eyes need big pictures.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, your not a cyclist or runner who has discovered Strava I take it??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, If it monitors people while they are sleeping, it could do you out of a job! wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, You're right I don't need a sleep monitor. I downloaded an app for the ipad that does that. It's a good gimmick to use twice but otherwise utterly pointless.

I'm sure it will sell millions, because it's Apple, but do smart watches have a long term future? I'm not sure. Too big to be a watch and too small to use without a smartphone. I love my gadgets, but I just don't get these.

Incidentally it's the rise if the smartphone that has pretty much killed off watch wearing amongst the young. Ironic really.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
genepi, Laughing

foxtrotzulu, I thought the same about iPads. More than happy to use my laptop around the house, I thought. Didn't get one until 18 months after they were first released, continuing to use my laptop. Then I inherited my girlfriend's old iPad and discovered this new, to me, category of device was invaluable. Not a replacement for my laptop, but a useful device which fills its own niche. I expect a good smart watch to acheive the same kind of "new category" use. From what I've seen Apple's Watch is the most appealing device for me, and I guess it will only become more capable as new versions are released, guaranteeing its long term future.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Incidentally it's the rise if the smartphone that has pretty much killed off watch wearing amongst the young.

None of my three kids wear watches - even an £9.99 unsmart phone can tell you the time.

I looked into the "sleep monitoring apps" and it seems that some of the claims are distinctly spurious. The stillest nights I had for many years were after I fractured my pelvis because there was no way of stabilising the two fractures. Moving unless desperate really wasn't an option. wink But I wasn't sleeping that well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, what do you want from a smart watch?

For me it's more about fitness, monitoring steps, knowing when I do exercise (inc skiing), monitoring my sleep. Secondary for me is "phone like" functions.....not sure of the benefits of getting a text/email/facebook notification on my smartwatch when it has to also have occurred on my smartphone?

I could see the benefits of a different ecosystem, where the "phone" is tiny and stays in your pocket/bag and the watch becomes THE display for the phone, this I would go for I reckon....but then how would apps like google maps, navigation etc work on a smartwatch

I personally think this whole wearables tech has a long way to go yet and find it fascinating.

So I must admit I do like my watches! I have an expensive (ish) watch for work, my grandads gold retirement watch for very posh functions, a "cheap" sekonda for travel/waterproofness in the pool [not actually worn for years now), a Garmin Vivofit which now tends to be my day to day watch and a Garmin Fenix which I use for running, skiing, walking etc as it has GPS. To get HR I need to wear a HR band, so a watch with this built in is goodness for me.

I guess the "apps we don't know we need yet" are the way forwards.

But then again, who uses apps on the iPad? I reckon 90% of my time is email and web, the other 10% is strava, garmin connect and the odd game....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, you'd like one that I have - a half hunter. Was made in 1908 and given as a gift to Tony's grandfather in 1910. Today I took it into a local jeweller who told me lots of interesting things about it, including that it's solid 18 ct gold and that's better to keep it wound - it hasn't been used for many years but started beautifully when I wound it.

It needs a more ample belly than yours to do it justice though. wink And it's not smart.
ski holidays
kitenski, a range of things, some of which I can imagine now, some of which will become apparent as developers start to be creative with the possibilities that are afforded by the hardware. Some of the things I can think of now:

I'd like to access information in additional ways, including different kinds of messages (text, audio, video), emails, news alerts, displaying e-boarding passes, social media, etc.
I'd like to be able to process, manage or control information in more convenient ways, such as quickly reply to messages, easily changing music playlists, seeing who is calling without looking at my phone, playing slideshows of favourite photos on my TV.
I'd like to be able to control things from my wrist, such as what music plays in my living room or what TV shows I watch via Apple TV.
I'd like to access some of the functions of my phone, but in ways which are only possible via a smart watch (e.g. navigation prompts by taps on your wrist when walking around unfamiliar streets)
I'd like innovative ways to keep in touch with Jane.
I'd like fitness monitoring, so all variations of a step counter especially if it motivated me to do a few more.
I'd like sports monitoring (I'm sure it won't be long before there's some interesting golf apps, and I'd guess skiing apps - how about an app for your favourite ski safari where piste navigation is done by watch feedback on your wrist?)
I'd like an NFC payment mechanism on my wrist.
I'd like a design on my wrist which I like, especially the if there is an option to customise the appearance or suitability of different watch straps.
latest report
When I'm skiing I prefer to be carrying as little stuff as possible. I used to have a Swatch Access that could hold lift pass info but I'm left handed so it was always on the wrong wrist to match up with the sensor. My phone stays in my backpack at the top of the slope.

I can't see how a watch or phone could help me with the sports aspects of skiing.
snow report
rob@rar, interesting, thanks, and there is always a but....

You mention replying to messages. The only way I can see a watch being better than a bigger device like a phone wih a keyboard is either precaned replies or voice to text....

Controlling media in the house from a watch is a great idea, think Apple are already positioned with this from home sharing and Apple TV. They now need to take that into the cloud and remove the need for a home computer to be powered up....
snow conditions
rjs, lift pass on the watch, there is another cracking idea....add in plane, cinema, theatre, biking trails etc and it starts to look pretty handy .....
snow conditions
kitenski, can't you already dictate text messages via Siri? New Messages app in iOS8 doesn't distinguish between text messages or voice messages, so no need to resort to a keyboard to send a message home that traffic is bad so please don't feed my dinner to the dog. Also, didn't the Keynote when the Watch was announced showed some sort of intelligent guessing of what you might want to reply to a message to reduce the typing/dictation you might need to do?

I'd be surprised if Homekit required a home PC to be powered up, so that provides lots of control options, whether you're at home or not. I'm forever losing the little remote that comes with Apple TV, so managing that via my watch will be good.
snow report
Another function I'd like to have: something which lets me know when my doorbell has been rung, with a live video feed of who is calling. There has been a flurry of cold callers and JWs recently and I'm fed up of answering the door to them.
ski holidays
Easy answer to home callers is a go away poster on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk

Home sharing where you play a video or music from your library on Apple TV requires a computer with iTunes on and running, they can surely improve on this with the new watch and icloud or what it is called now.

Yes siri has voice to text, doesn't work well in less than quiet conditions IMHO.
latest report
kitenski, my desktop is always on and running iTunes so I can run Apple TV whenever I want.
snow report
rob@rar, it shouldn't need to be always on with icloud that's my point...
ski holidays
I'm holding out for when they just implant all these apps into my brain Madeye-Smiley
snow report
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar, it shouldn't need to be always on with icloud that's my point...
Perhaps, although my iTunes folder is 1.6TB so I'd need a lot of cloud storage.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
I'm holding out for when they just implant all these apps into my brain Madeye-Smiley

You don't need a brain, or at least you don't need to use it. Fanbois world wide, who will buy these things because they think they make them cool.

iTunes - people still use that? Oh yeah, they're the guys who think "Beats" delivers good sound quality, enough said wink
ski holidays
philwig, rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/home-video-monitoring/

not a viedo feed, just on demand stills so no wires to install.
ski holidays
Has someone moved this thread to the wrong forum by mistake?

'Ski Fitness, exercise, injury and Rehab' seems an odd place for a discussion on smartwatches.
ski holidays
olderscot, these are bossy watches. They make you do more cycling and running than you would if you didn't have one. They do this by analysing and influencing your brain waves, so that when you are thinking about collapsing on the sofa with a glass of beer, the thought pops into your head, unbidden, that what you really want to do is go out for a run. wink
snow conditions
Not just bossy watches, pam w, but Nasty Bossy Watches.
So when you come back from that run, they tell you that you didn't run fast enough, or long enough, and your heart rate took too long to recover.
Nasty Vicious Bully Watches.
Should have a health warning
Throw them away now! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Smart and Bossy? I don't have room in my life for another one of these.

And stop giving rob@rar more ideas. None of the bossiness even made it to his list.
snow conditions
olderscot, Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

So when you come back from that run, they tell you that you didn't run fast enough, or long enough, and your heart rate took too long to recover.

Very Happy but in practice it's the opposite: I find it most amusing that almost every run I take results in me achieving some sort of personal best. Not because I've managed to run it faster every time, but just because the app has so many metrics for measuring performance that there is bound to be one where you did better than before just by chance, and it congratulates you on that.
snow report
kieranm, Laughing "Over 300 metres towards the end of your run you went faster than you've ever done on a Wednesday afternoon before".
snow report
Quote:

"Over 300 metres towards the end of your run you went faster than you've ever done on a Wednesday afternoon before".

Funnily enough, that one would be pretty accurate today. But it's never got quite that bad (yet)
ski holidays
kitenski, I'm looking forward to Strava App for iPad when's that coming do you think.... a no brainier to me? I'd rather see my performance on my iPad rather than on iPhone, plus I'd then buy the upgrade rather than at present just using the free version. Plus I'd like a 2 Bike function, it only gives you run and bike, I've sort of lost interest in it for now until it gets sorted, I do more mountainbiking than road biking but want to see my pb's on both, and segments for popular off-road MTB sections, even thought of having 2 logins but it seems a faff. Needs a good bit of development I think.
snow conditions
Markymark29, you might find Runkeeper does what you need if Strava doesn't
snow conditions
What about the new Garmin watch

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/cycling-weekly/garmin-launch-new-forerunner-920xt-multi-sport-watch-138601
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy