Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yad moss and Weardale season passes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Go on sale tomorrow snowHead
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/index.php/

http://www.skiweardale.com

Lots of improvements and maintenance work has taken place over the last two summers. Not a lot more to do now at Yad Moss .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now that I have finally got round to renewing my Weardale pass by the 1st October deadline, I had just thought about posting something similar myself Peter S!

Hopefully £35 well spent with an epic season in the Pennines to come. In which case the poster in the Weardale 'Daylodge' would be quite prophetic:

Ski a whole season for less than the cost of a Courchevel daypass Laughing

Can you advise on any of the summer's improvements Peter S? Any snow making? New gondolas or six packs? Improved (or any Toofy Grin ) catering on the hill? Free ski bus?.... wink

I can't wait - let's start the snowdances! A November start is not unknown!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No. None of those, unless Weardale have sneaked an underground funicular in Laughing

......I was thinking more along the less glamorous lines of shotblasting, galvanising, grass cutting, fence repairs, drainage, stone removal, new diesel tank etc Laughing

Skied on the 23rd of November last year:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3641
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bought, arrived, fingers crossed for a 2014 slide!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, I've thought about this in the past and never yet sussed out how to get there in decent time in the morning when I assume conditions would be best? If the surf's up presumably the roads up there would be non passable for all but chained-up cars, what route do you go to get there and/ or do you go up night before and bivvy out or something?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29, XC90 with snow tyres and decent clearance Smile

and courtesy car without once that involved getting stuck and having to dig it out and get pushed about 3 times!!

They've usually plowed it by mid morning, and coming the "wrong way" is less prone to blockage IIRC
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark, from North Yorks its A66, B6277. Takes just under an hour from Richmond in the summer.

The last 5 miles however is the longest stretch of road above 500m in the UK so can be a little exposed!

Winter tyres are good. 4x4 is probably useful for clearance but not essential. Durham side is usually cleared to the county boundary by 8:30am but not if the snow is drifting. Cumbria side is not usually ploughed until mid morning so may be impassable in which case walk the 1.5 miles from the county boundary.

Over the last 10 years I've only lost a handful of ski days when it hasn't been possible to get there from the County Durham side.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, or 2 hours as the crow flies from Nidderdale with this bad boy....

http://youtube.com/v/VNwWf1r0HbA
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is the one we use when you get there snowHead

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
never yet sussed out how to get there in decent time in the morning when I assume conditions would be best?
Er, put your alarm on nice and early?? Toofy Grin

Seriously though, both Weardale and Yad Moss don't tend to get going until 10.30/11.00am - so an early start isn't that imperative on anything but the busiest days. Weardale has trickier access (last couple of miles on hilly singletrack road with a couple of steep bits that can be unpassable with slight snow); is members only at weekends; and has two lifts - so is generally a bit quieter than Yad Moss. Cover can sometimes be thin and the snow can get a bit skied out on occasions but, generally speaking, both areas get a steady stream of arrivals into the afternoon. When conditions are anything better than reasonable, it usually doesn't matter what time you arrive - though (on a cautionary note) Yad Moss sometimes limits ticket sales in the case of day visitors if things get busy. They usually indicate on the website when they anticipate doing so, such as when conditions are epic.

In terms of general road access: We've skied about 40 days at Weardale and Yad Moss in the past 5 or 6 years, with about 30 of those days being at Yad Moss. Chains have been needed at Weardale about 50% of the time - though if you don't have them, there is always someone who will give you a lift for the last two miles from the chain-fitting layby. Chains have never been needed by us to access Yad Moss - though we have had 2 or 3 slightly hairy journeys on snow covered roads (with chains and shovel at the ready).

We also skied at Yad Moss on that November weekend Peter S! We ski toured though - so I can't remember if the lift was open Puzzled. How many days did it run last winter by the way?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The tow ran 8 days last year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Joined for the first time today. Now all I need is good snow on weekends when Sunderland are playing at home so I am in the North-East. I probably also really ought to work out how to put chains on my tyres - up until now the chains have gone in the boot and never needed to see the light of day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JohnMo,

Welcome to the club (of skiing SAFC fans)! We can look forward to weekends of deep powder and home goalless draws wink

Out of interest, did you join Yad Moss or Weardale?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister, Skiing is very exciting. So I am pleased I don't overdo it with the football - a win or even a goal would just be too exciting for me.

I joined Weardale. Not sure why I did that rather than Yad Moss. Closer to Seaham, where I stay, I guess. My hope is to get a couple of days in this season. Then next 1 July I will be retired at the grand old age of 55 (lucky me, I know). So I'd hope to get a bit more English skiing done in 15/16 season and might well try Yad Moss.

Really looking forward to it. I'll get some skiing in this season in both Europe and North America. But (hopefully) skiing just a drive from home really tickles me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy