Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski school is best in Serre Chevalier?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Need some feedback from you lovely peeps on ski schools in Serre Che. Last year as part of a prize holiday we got ski lessons with Ski Connections and I have to say they were pretty good - very flexible and really friendly. I've seen some other schools advertised ESF and New Generation and before I book again for this year (yes we fell in love with the place and are hot footing it back in Feb 15) I wondered if anyone had used either of the other schools mentioned and if so how they compared to Ski Connections. Price is something to consider but not the main factor and I'm am happy to pay a little more for the best instructors. x
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tuftmuppet, I haven't used Ski Connections, so can't really compare, but we use New Generation in Monetier, and have to say we are very happy with them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Hells Bells - that's good to know. Did you have group or private lessons?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tuftmuppet, we've always done privates, but our guests have spoken highly of the group lessons, and the groups are small.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are looking for private lessons too. We're staying at Chalet Les Marmottes in Chantemerle and ideally want to meet up at L'Aravat rather than Monetier or Villenueve and not sure if New Gen are happy to do that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tuftmuppet, it would depend very much on their other daily commitments I think, but it is not too much of a hassle to hop on the bus to Monetier or ski over depending on lesson times. Have a word with them to see what they can do for you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep might do - we used the valley bus all the time last year. Thanks for your feedback - when are you heading back out there?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tuftmuppet, we are out in mid-January.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The lead instructor at Serre Che NewGen, Gavin Crosby, is one of the most highly regarded that we've used for snowHeads events.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went private with Darren Turner - he transformed both of us in the space of three hours!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for Gavin at New Gen and would agree that taking the bus up to Monetier is no hassle. Our 2 boys had some great lessons a couple of years ago when we were staying in villeneuve.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jenniper, Hi - Is Darren Turner part of New gen too?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tuftmuppet, no he isn't.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tuftmuppet wrote:
Hi all

Need some feedback from you lovely peeps on ski schools in Serre Che. Last year as part of a prize holiday we got ski lessons with Ski Connections and I have to say they were pretty good - very flexible and really friendly. I've seen some other schools advertised ESF and New Generation and before I book again for this year (yes we fell in love with the place and are hot footing it back in Feb 15) I wondered if anyone had used either of the other schools mentioned and if so how they compared to Ski Connections. Price is something to consider but not the main factor and I'm am happy to pay a little more for the best instructors. x

As far as a 'standard' ski school goes I've been very impressed with Ski Connections the couple of times we've used them, far better than the experiences I've had with ESF. Not that I've ever found ESF bad, just not the quality of instruction or level of personalisation we had from Ski Connections. Those who had group lessons said they were good, done for our group both times and with people moved where sensible if they progress at different paces (not always practical and only when desired, but the effort was always there and it's always worked out). People definitely improved and had a fun time, and the instructor was happy to adapt lessons when they asked to try specific things.

The private lessons have also been good and very reasonably priced: IIRC it was ~€50 an hour, which worked out at ~£60 each for 3 of us having two short-half-day private lessons. We do it that way as we're at a similar level and like to work on a specific skill or set of skills to practice for the week, and the short-half-days mean we can do a couple of runs to warm up beforehand and a couple afterwards to practice what we've learned before heading for lunch, but get enough time to do a bit of exploration and learn something properly. Last year we did moguls/bumps and basic off-piste, the year before we focused on piste technique on steeper runs and at a faster pace. Both instructors were good teachers and personable, and found the right balance of pushing us and taking us on stuff we'd never have done without an instructor while getting to improve our technique.

The bottom line was it was fun, cheap, and we improved significantly over the week. The hire equipment we got from them was pretty good too.

Having said that the best lessons I ever had were with New Generation in Val d'Isere. They cost a fair bit more (somewhere around double) but the quality of tuition was exceptional and they used video analysis which was particularly helpful at seeing and working on bad habits (I'd love to say removing but no tuition is able to completely fix all mine...) - my view possibly helped that I went to same uni as our instructor and got to reminisce a bit as well as improving my skiing hugely. I haven't used them in Serre Chevalier as we had a couple of beginners both times and they only start from a slightly higher level, plus some of the groups were on more of a budget, but all the reports I've seen are just as positive as my experience in Val d'Isere was.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tuftmuppet wrote:
We are looking for private lessons too. We're staying at Chalet Les Marmottes in Chantemerle and ideally want to meet up at L'Aravat rather than Monetier or Villenueve and not sure if New Gen are happy to do that.

The owners of Les Marmottes are Karin and Denis Lucas - Denis was (and may still be) the Chantemerle director of the ESF there. In any case, he is a superb instructor and genuinely nice guy who speaks English to native level (Karin is English).

As an aside, if you've not been before, Les Marmottes is outstanding and you're in for a culinary feast if you're there on the catered option. Denis is also a wine merchant, so the wine will be pretty good too Toofy Grin
latest report
Sorry, should also mention that I've also had lessons with New Gen in SC and they are a superb outfit. I did have to travel to Monetier for the lessons, although this wasn't an issue, as I had a car and picked up my instructor en-route each morning Laughing
snow conditions
Also, as far as I remember New Gen start their lessons a little later in the morning, so you could always get first lift up and ski over. The road run in the middle isn't great, but other than that it's a nice trip.
snow report
Drogue, some New Gen lessons start at 8.45 so that is not guaranteed, it just depends on the schedule that week what time your lesson will be.
ski holidays
From recommendations on this forum, My mate and a mate have already booked Ski Lessons with New Gen(Gavin) next Feb/March Very Happy
Mel couldn't be more accommodating with the booking, First day is pencilled in for 11:30 - 13:30 and then 09:15 - 11:15 thereafter. She even suggested a later start on the first morning just so we could get a bit of practice in/find our ski legs before the start of the lesson if we wanted to... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy